WishiWashi Discussion

What about giving it leftovers and have him run protect and aqua ring And Max out his HP EVs and since his speed is poor just reduce it to the max. Making it a tank.

After all it is almost like a Shuckle.
Except Shuckle doesn't get 140 on the offenses :P

Lets just say that Wishiwashi recieves Trick Room without getting hurt on the switch while holding Life Orb. How strong is this thing then compared to other pokemon recieving Trick Room?

Last edited:

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
You'll probably lose more HP/Momentum from Aqua Ring than you'd ever gain in a realistic battle scenario, even with the dream scenario of not being forced out on a switch.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Realistically, you'll need to take a hit switching this thing in. Then you need to take another hit afterwards due to your atrocious Speed stat. Any Pokemon that requires keeping its HP high, but also necessitates taking two hits before it can actually attack is not a good Pokemon. You have pretty ok bulk, but it just needed either high HP or high Speed to function properly. I hope to be proven wrong because I actually really like this thing's design. But as it stands now it's not looking hopeful. At best, you can pair it with slow U-turn/Volt Switch users to try to get it in safely, or run Hyper Offense where you can simply sack something before bringing it in and appreciate its wallbreaking abilities.

Realistically, you'll need to take a hit switching this thing in. Then you need to take another hit afterwards due to your atrocious Speed stat. Any Pokemon that requires keeping its HP high, but also necessitates taking two hits before it can actually attack is not a good Pokemon. You have pretty ok bulk, but it just needed either high HP or high Speed to function properly. I hope to be proven wrong because I actually really like this thing's design. But as it stands now it's not looking hopeful. At best, you can pair it with slow U-turn/Volt Switch users to try to get it in safely, or run Hyper Offense where you can simply sack something before bringing it in and appreciate its wallbreaking abilities.
Lets just hypothetically say you do get the switch with switch room without taking a hit, and you have life orb. How good would this thing be?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lets just hypothetically say you do get the switch with switch room without taking a hit, and you have life orb. How good would this thing be?
I mean, it would be scary but that only leaves you a few turns (3 I believe) to actually do anything. I don't see Trick Room as being anything but a niche strategy just like it's always been in singles. In doubles all bets are off. I have no idea how strong this thing will be.

I mean, it would be scary but that only leaves you a few turns (3 I believe) to actually do anything. I don't see Trick Room as being anything but a niche strategy just like it's always been in singles. In doubles all bets are off. I have no idea how strong this thing will be.
Trick Room is 5 turns I think, so should get 4 turns after the switch I believe.

That sucks....Did not know that. It saying 5 turns is kind of misleading
That's one of the main reasons that Trick Room and Tailwind are rarely seen in singles format. It's not impossible to build Trick Room teams, but it's a niche archetype with very little margin for error. When you're already running a niche archetype, you just can't afford to add more points of failure.

Well another thing you could do with Wishiwashi is use Big root + Aqua ring which would heal 16.25%? each turn
Aqua Ring is incredibly impractical. It takes way too long to heal you, and goes away when you switch out. You're pretty much always better off running Rest instead of Aqua Ring; any pokemon bulky enough to stay in to benefit from Aqua Ring is bulky enough to survive a few turns of snoozing, plus the healing is instant so you can switch out without penalty if the opponent switches to something that threatens you, plus it also cures status.

Did anyone took a look at the movepool? Come on, is water moves, Ice Beam, U-turn and Earthquake. The movepool is lame!
Rest Talk With Scald/Ice Beam is what i would use, it could do something on lower tiers; maybe U-Turn or Endeavor could be useful, but i doubt it.

If it gets knocked below 25% by a 'Mon faster than it, will it fire off it's attack before changing into the guppy? If so, then when its below 25% HP, the form it is in is almost irrelevant, seeing as it would be outsped and KO'd by most things, even in School Form. If if switches into the little guy before firing off it's attack though, that's an issue.

If it gets knocked below 25% by a 'Mon faster than it, will it fire off it's attack before changing into the guppy? If so, then when its below 25% HP, the form it is in is almost irrelevant, seeing as it would be outsped and KO'd by most things, even in School Form. If if switches into the little guy before firing off it's attack though, that's an issue.
Yes, apparently the form change doesn't take place until the end of the turn. I wasn't aware the HP threshhold was 25% at first though. This thing could definitely see some use in that case, but I still don't think it's OU viable when placed next to other bulky Waters like Suicune, Volcanion, or even Keldeo that all offer benefits that he does not.

Will definitely be a solid pick in the lower tiers, however.

Yes, apparently the form change doesn't take place until the end of the turn. I wasn't aware the HP threshhold was 25% at first though. This thing could definitely see some use in that case, but I still don't think it's OU viable when placed next to other bulky Waters like Suicune, Volcanion, or even Keldeo that all offer benefits that he does not.

Will definitely be a solid pick in the lower tiers, however.
I always try to find some things that differentiate the 'Mons, and I think this one has a few selling points, potentially, over others. Its way more aggessive than Suicune, doesn't have Rocks, Ground, or Rock weakness like Volc, and is quite a bit bulkier than Keldeo. I think that being able to run mixed is a very slight boon to it, but I think that U-Turn is also very attractive when compared to other things like Gastrodon or Suicune or Toxapex etc. :) I will have to see how bulky this thing realistically is, and how much it's ability actually hinders it (doesn't appear to be a whole lot tbh).

Also, that's quite surprising that it takes place at the end of the turn. It seems different compared to thing like Emergency Exit, Defeatist (iirc) etc. but very good for it!

I always try to find some things that differentiate the 'Mons, and I think this one has a few selling points, potentially, over others. Its way more aggessive than Suicune, doesn't have Rocks, Ground, or Rock weakness like Volc, and is quite a bit bulkier than Keldeo. I think that being able to run mixed is a very slight boon to it, but I think that U-Turn is also very attractive when compared to other things like Gastrodon or Suicune or Toxapex etc. :) I will have to see how bulky this thing realistically is, and how much it's ability actually hinders it (doesn't appear to be a whole lot tbh).

Also, that's quite surprising that it takes place at the end of the turn. It seems different compared to thing like Emergency Exit, Defeatist (iirc) etc. but very good for it!
Yeah, it sounds like with proper prediction and proper use of the rest/talk set we aren't gonna see the weakened form on the field often.

Though because it activates at the end of the turn if you don't heal the same turn and are knocked down to 25% your wishiwashi is basically death fauder unless you have a slow wish passer on your team.

Last edited:
https://vid.me/Nq1h

We have video coverage on how Schooling only takes place at the end of the turn. This is why I'm more likely to stay away from Rest & Sleep Talk because you have to spend a turn in your weak form after falling asleep before reverting back to your School form. And yes, this also means you get to attack with full power even when dropped below 25% HP on the same turn before the end phase. That's why I believe Sitrus Berry or Leftovers seem the way to go if you want to recover HP.

https://vid.me/Nq1h

We have video coverage on how Schooling only takes place at the end of the turn. This is why I'm more likely to stay away from Rest & Sleep Talk because you have to spend a turn in your weak form after falling asleep before reverting back to your School form. And yes, this also means you get to attack with full power even when dropped below 25% HP on the same turn before the end phase. That's why I believe Sitrus Berry or Leftovers seem the way to go if you want to recover HP.
So that I'm certain I'm understanding correctly, since a Lum berry activates at the end of a turn, if I ran rest while holding a Lum berry, would that revert me back to School form immediately after Lum berry activates and wakes me up?

Yeah, it sounds like with proper prediction and proper use of the rest/talk set we aren't gonna see the weakened form on the field often.

Though because it activates at the end of the turn if you don't heal the same turn and are knocked down to 25% your wishiwashi is basically death fauder unless you have a slow wish passer on your team.
Agreed, but if you are at 25% HP with that speed, you're gonna be death fodder anyways, so in most situations, it's ability is negligible.

Even if you only take into account 75% of its max hp this thing is still tanks as heck tho.
Yea you are right xD AND, because it still gets to use it's attack before it switches forms, you don't have to think about only having 75% :) We are both correct, just talking about different, yet slightly related, points :)

So I'm slightly confused. Does Schooling deactivate after <50%, or <25%? The Research thread states <50%, but the source it pulls from had the HP much lower than that by the end of the turn. The OP here states around 25%. So at which point does it actually deactivate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)