WishiWashi Discussion

So I'm slightly confused. Does Schooling deactivate after <50%, or <25%? The Research thread states <50%, but the source it pulls from had the HP much lower than that by the end of the turn. The OP here states around 25%. So at which point does it actually deactivate?
A video posted above shows 25%.

So I'm slightly confused. Does Schooling deactivate after <50%, or <25%? The Research thread states <50%, but the source it pulls from had the HP much lower than that by the end of the turn. The OP here states around 25%. So at which point does it actually deactivate?
25% from what I've seen

Yeah after seeing that video posted on page 4 ( https://vid.me/Nq1h ), it looks confirmed for 25%. Thanks, Valiant Scizor and Pushinguplilacs! That clears that up.
It certainly has more viability than other weakening ability mons but it's still to be seen if it can still hold its own in ou or even uu with that speed. Anything that has super effective stab can probably down it before it can rest.

I'll have to run some calcs when I get home.

Rest is a bad option. You'd have to use rest after 1 hit most likely. This thing can be 2HKO'd, though a lot of attacks will only 3HKO it. The problem is that if 2 hits take you out of schooling, you're essentially dead, and only a slow wish-pass would save you. That means you're resting at 40-60% HP. Unless you're going to switch it out at full HP and use aromatherapy, sitrus berry seems like the better option. Lum + Rest can heal for more than Sitrus, but you're using a turn to do it, a turn where your opponent might be setting up. The ability to remove status is nice, but this thing is a mixed attacker and can function through status.

% based healing isn't powerful because it's HP is so low. Aqua Ring, Leftovers, etc. don't seem like good options. For Shell Bell to be better than Leftovers, you need to do at least 152 damage in an attack. That's certainly possible, but does that translate into a significant amount of healing? No.

252+ Atk Wishiwashi U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 204-240
A full-offense set with a super-effective attack, and that's only 30 HP max (just over 10% of your total) gained when you're taking 150+ (50% or more). You're winning the trade in terms of damage dealt, but you're still weak enough to get finished off in 1 hit.

0 Atk Wishiwashi U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 156-184
Fully bulky, that's 23 HP max gained when you're taking 130+. You're still dying in 3 hits.

Best answer is to bring it in safely or on a resisted hit, U-turn for momentum or OHKO with his high stats and decent coverage, then pass him a wish later. His stats are fantastic for receiving flat healing.

Guess you're right Sitrus Berry is the better option. Everything else you do just waists a move.

Scald, Ice beam, Endeavor and Earthquake seem like good move options

I am in agreement that Rest will be used at first, but people will move away from it as they realize it will often be a poor choice. Just a simple prediction :)

It has a shallow move, but it pretty much gets everything it needs? I don't really see much reason to deviate from Water-STAB, Ice Beam, EQ, U-Turn. Scald vs Hydro or Double Water-STAB vs. U-Turn might be as varying as the sets get lol?

EDIT: Unless you are super fucking hipster and go Physical with Turn, Waterfall/Aqua Tail, EQ, Beat Up xD

I don't see the point of having U-Turn on it. Ice Beam is a better option. In my opinion sitrus berry plus aqua ring would be good.

I don't see the point of having U-Turn on it. Ice Beam is a better option. In my opinion sitrus berry plus aqua ring would be good.
Aqua Ring is never worth it. It's like wasting a turn to get lefties when you could be firing off a Hydro Pump. Especially cause you won't be staying in more than a turn or two. If you think about it in terms of just pure HP% advantage, you are gaining maybe 12%HP over a turn or two, while going for Hydro Pump instead could take away at least 30%, if not more. You will always be getting more value out of a damaging move over Aqua Ring, even a NVE move.

I believe that the school form could have loads of potential, as well as be a solid foundation for any sort of defensive team, if it wasn't so slow. The low speed, mixed with the ability to lose the school form when health is low, is just really not a good combination. You could run like Resto-Chesto, as mentioned by users previously in the thread, but it'll be nothing more than a forced set. If it becomes worth it in time, it'll most likely sit at OU, but I'm betting on something like UU with this one.

I feel like Wishiwashi will become the new Archeops. Great stats, but turns into Magikarp once its HP gets low because of its ability.
If you look back a page, to my previous post, WishiWashi's ability is almost negligible in most situations, unlike Archeops. Also, while comparing the two, WW has far more bulky, far better defensive typing, and better mixed offences. Just as a little nitpick. The main idea of this post, though, was to highlight that Schooling almost doesn't hinder this 'Mon, and seems to only be serving as a distraction when theory crafting sets right now :/

I'm not reading the shrimp form's stats wrong, am I? It's seriously got a lower BST than Sunkern...?

Regardless of how Wishiwashi holds up competitively, that fact won't ever fail to amuse me.

I feel like Wishiwashi will become the new Archeops. Great stats, but turns into Magikarp once its HP gets low because of its ability.
I mean Wishiwashi is as bad as a Magikarp WITHOUT the ability, so isn't it better to say that it got better because of it's school form?

Also I just realized that Wishiwashi school form has a higher BST than the Pseudo-Legendaries wtf

I mean Wishiwashi is as bad as a Magikarp WITHOUT the ability, so isn't it better to say that it got better because of it's school form?

Also I just realized that Wishiwashi school form has a higher BST than the Pseudo-Legendaries wtf
Yup, and it's not like they are wasted either, like Tapu Koko and it's 115 Atk :)

That was the idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)