Worst Pokemon Sprites?

These three, just, in general.

MISTAKES
Honestly, the firedog En looks not so bad and could even work as entirely new thing, but maybe not on legendary par of actual Entei.

And I wonder if Nishida (or even someone else entirely?) regretted making proto-Leafeon and remade it into admittedly much better Sinnoian Leafeon.
The problem is more on the design though, I feel the rooting legs look so weird and the random markings are just... maybe I should call it Camo-Vegeteon.

Honestly, the firedog En looks not so bad and could even work as entirely new thing, but maybe not on legendary par of actual Entei.

And I wonder if Nishida (or even someone else entirely?) regretted making proto-Leafeon and remade it into admittedly much better Sinnoian Leafeon.
The problem is more on the design though, I feel the rooting legs look so weird and the random markings are just... maybe I should call it Camo-Vegeteon.
I think the markings were probably meant to give it a texture similar to like...carrots and stuff, but it and the roots dont really combine correctly. The tail also doesn't work for me, though. It's probably meant to be long blades of grass? And the ears are meant to be full on leaves it seems. In all it's trying to be like 4 different things with not a lot of cohesion.

Can we just talk about Shedinja’s whole design for a moment? I am a southerner, my yard growing up was covered in cicada shells. I never recognized Shedinja as a cicada until much later on. Let’s look at a cicada shell:
It’s brown with a long, slim body, sharp legs, and a straight crack in the back. Now let’s look at Shedinja:
It’s brown with a short, fat body, thick legs, and a hole in its back surrounded by wings. Yes, once you know what it is you can see what they were going for, but it’s just so far from an actual cicada shell I’m not at all surprised I missed the connection.

I think the markings were probably meant to give it a texture similar to like...carrots and stuff, but it and the roots dont really combine correctly. The tail also doesn't work for me, though. It's probably meant to be long blades of grass? And the ears are meant to be full on leaves it seems. In all it's trying to be like 4 different things with not a lot of cohesion.
It reminds me of a daikon, maybe that's what it's based on? Or a mandrake root.

Still pretty rubbish, like. :D

Behold, Linoone's Pokemon Shuffle sprite:

Its fur coloration is so washed out, I initially thought it was a shiny.
Let's make things worse.
The sprites used in Pokemon Shuffle were essentially reused from Pokemon Battle Trozei, but with added glossy/lighting effects. Only problem in Linoone's case is that the slight changes to the sprite made it even more obvious that its colors are off. Here's the original for comparison's sake:

And the icing on the cake?
They got Zigzagoon correct.

I'd like to talk about Misdreavus.

Initially, it looked pretty great (I will stan GSC sprites til the end of time)

Silver: the colours are phenomenal and its mostly great, although the front facing perspective doesn't really let you appreciate the hair and its tiny smile isn't particularly spooky. Its neck is a bit tentacle-y.

Gold/Crystal: the side shot gives you a better perspective of its big wavy weave. The animation is also quite creepy, as it appears to be floating passed the trainer, and suddenly tracking its eyes over to look at us. It's got a skinny and longer neck, so it actually looks like head/neck/shoulders. The bottom ends in wavy almost jagged cuts, so it looks like a creepy sack.

Hm. Its eyes are too big for its face, and they tried to do the side glance from GC, but its not exactly facing sideways, so it looks cross eyed. The sprite is too small, Misdreavus completely loses its neck and the red pearl necklace becomes a choker. Aside from the main pearl and like two tiny ones, it's hard to tell its even wearing a necklace. The neckline is evenly cut and wavy like in official artwork now. I feel like making it slightly bigger and extended the neck would have really helped. The colours are totally washed out (why gen 3 why).

Last edited:

Doesn't look scary to me. All it looks like is a floating head with a super small body waving its arms like it's cheering for its favorite sports team.

What happened to this pokemon? It looks like it got compressed. Horribly.

"Hey Jim, stop playing crappy earrapes nobody cares about!"

Oh god what is this thing:
Carnivine's design in general is just kinda... huh???

Between Levitate and having a mess of vines on its posterior, wouldn't it make sense to be hanging upside from a tree branch, mouth open 180 degrees ready to snap on a bug crawling on the forest floor?

Spr_7s_455.png

That looks so much better/practical. Instead they made it look like a plant kite hybrid thing, gliding (why?) or nonsensically billowing in the wind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)