Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

The main reason Groudon, Tyranitar and base Aggron are able to get away with it though is because they're more of a side view. If I had tried to do more of a side view of Mega Aggron, then the tail's length would have stretched the sprite too far, so I had to go for a more back-oriented viewas a result. GameFreak usually did a good job in previous generations of eliminating perspective through the use of side views, such as in the sprites you listed above. However, those pokemon were made with the knowledge that they were going onto a 2D canvas. In the case of Mega Aggron, since it was made with the intent of being a 3D model, its tail is literally the longest of anything in the game in proportion to its body. So yeah, I understand what you're getting at, but I think perspective is basically required in making Mega Aggron's sprite just due to its ridiculous amount of depth.

Minor Mega Pinsir update
Any better?

Made some changes to Chesnaught too.
Mine:

Also, (and I'd hate to sound conceited, but....) I think my Chesnaught is currently the most accurate
Manibogi:

The head still looks wrong, more specifically: The eyes seem too narrow to me, the helmet doesn't look like it's shaped right (it's supposed to be in an 'M' shape) and the beard doesn't look very natural to me, though I don't know what to tell you to fix that.

Besides that, the arms just look kind of stiff in the still picture and the inner ring thingies on the leg to the right don't look quite right. Also, I think it looks too fat.

EDIT:
Oh, and the inside of Chesnaught's shell is brown, not green

Galifia:

This sprite just looks too big. Besides that, the spikes are pointing too far outwards and the hips/tail look off. His head and shoulder pads also look way too huge.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The shell is what makes me like manibogi's the best. The detail on it is great. But I guess the head could be slightly adjusted. (even though the heads alright) but thats fairy minor. Everything else just looks spot on

Last edited:
I know, I know I didn't mean to sound conceited if I did and I apologize if that came off wrong. I'm just saying that, as of right now, I think mine does look more accurate (if only slightly) and posted what I thought could use some improvements on the others'

EDIT:
On a side note: Do you really think he looks too small? I made him the same height as Blastoise's Gen V sprite (from foot to head, rather than the spikes)who is supposed to be the same height as he is.

That's another issue, actually. I honestly have no idea if its tail even can bend, which again, puts Aggron in a very weird position in the Pokemon sizing divisions.To give you an idea what I'm talking about, this is an in-game shot of the thing.

The tail is really just freaking massive, for starters. But the thing that makes me really unsure as to the tail's flexibility is the metal rings it has layered over it. All we ever see Mega Aggron do in game is merely wiggle its tail a bit, so I have no idea if it can even physically bend its tail like normal Aggron does. So yeah, I have no idea if it can pull any other backsprite poses off.

Concerns like this are exactly why it took me so long to do the backsprite, tbh. I had a solid few days where I'd look at Mega Aggron and think, "Eeeeeugh I'm not in the mood for this today." +/

EDIT: I forgot to mention yesterday that I would certainly be willing to work on another backsprite, but as previously stated, I'm not sure what I would be able to do currently. I'm not trying to be abrasive or anything, so I'm sorry if I've been coming off sounding as such. It was late yesterday when I posted and I tend to leave out content like this when I'm half-asleep.

I'll admit, this isn't great by any stretch (probably not even good either), but here's my take on Helioptile. QC and feedback most welcome.
Helioptiles.png

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just my two cents on this, if you turn its head slightly so it at least looks like its looking at its opponent, then you can probably get away with the body position as it is.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
aXl, I think Mega Aggron's tail is suffering from the exact same thing as our current Mega Heracross sprite. Basically, the perspective is simply too extreme. The side view of the tail shows the rate at which it gets smaller, but the back view doesn't show that, due to the tip of the tail being far closer to the viewer than the base. If you make it a bit more obvious that the tail is getting thinner, then should hopefully look less overwhelmingly massive while still keeping the proper proportions.

LU, sorry if this offends you in anyway (I know you spent a lot of time animating it) but I really think the eyes should be made less squinty. It doesn't look fierce, it looks like an diseased asian squid, imo tbh. If we fix just that, the sprite should be brilliant.

Well, since there's a pretty unanimous agreement that Mega Aggron's perspective is whack, I'll survey my options over the week and update it whenever I create a solution. In the mean time, I finished up a Frogadier frontsprite v2, as the current Frogadier's proportions happen to be a little off, in addition to it standing on only two legs, which is something Frogadier just doesn't do from all of the art I've seen.

Backsprite should be up later in the week. I'm probably going to make a few of these smaller sprites in order to cleanse my pallet of Mega Aggron for awhile, so that I can come back to this backsprite with a fresh view.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well now that I realize this site has a whole lot of attacking animations and stuff, I guess I've got no excuse for not working on rare animations. I guess Mega Lucario, Trevenant, and Malamar are the best candidates for now. (Mega Garchomp's and especially Mega Absol's are difficult enough that I can rationalize procrastination for a long, long time.) Just gonna keep waiting out the need to work on new stuff like Mega Gardevoir and Zygarde...

Also, Siiilver, I think that the eyes are acceptable as they are (but admittedly not perfect), but if you want to change the static sprite, the animation fix should be easy enough.

That looks very classy, aXl - just updated it to match the palettes of Froakie and Greninja (posting all three just to show the trio)
froakie.png
Frogadier.png
greninja.png

Last edited:
Well, since there's a pretty unanimous agreement that Mega Aggron's perspective is whack, I'll survey my options over the week and update it whenever I create a solution. In the mean time, I finished up a Frogadier frontsprite v2, as the current Frogadier's proportions happen to be a little off, in addition to it standing on only two legs, which is something Frogadier just doesn't do from all of the art I've seen.

Backsprite should be up later in the week. I'm probably going to make a few of these smaller sprites in order to cleanse my pallet of Mega Aggron for awhile, so that I can come back to this backsprite with a fresh view.
It's nice, but IMO it isn't really fifth gen style.

Made new Mega Houndoom sprites using B/W Houndoom as a base. Sorry if anyone was working on these, but it was a few weeks since anyone even brought it up so...
Niceeeee...

I think it would look better to make the fang a little bigger on the mouth, because it looks kinda weird to have one pixel of white on its snout.
That thing looks bad-ass tho great job!

Made new Mega Houndoom sprites using B/W Houndoom as a base. Sorry if anyone was working on these, but it was a few weeks since anyone even brought it up so...
Looks very good. One thing sticks out to me, however (I don't have a problem with the size of the fang). I'll post up the original Houndoom sprites to show what I mean:
houndoom.png
houndoom back.png

Note that there are smatterings of white on the horns, the ridges on it's back and the anklets (which I feel makes the sprite suitably bright) - at the moment, the Mega sprite is a little dark in those areas. I'd say just a touch of white in those areas is all that's needed. Good effort :)

Looks very good. One thing sticks out to me, however (I don't have a problem with the size of the fang). I'll post up the original Houndoom sprites to show what I mean:
View attachment 4319 View attachment 4318
Note that there are smatterings of white on the horns, the ridges on it's back and the anklets (which I feel makes the sprite suitably bright) - at the moment, the Mega sprite is a little dark in those areas. I'd say just a touch of white in those areas is all that's needed. Good effort :)
Ask and ye shall receive.

Back to come.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The big thing for me is that Mega-Houndoom is almost 2 feet larger than the normal form.

He has such a bigger neck and legs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)