XY Metagame Speculation [SPOILERS ITT]

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
that shield sounds badass lol, idk though, they might make it more unreliable like detect imo. sounds pretty broken to me as an iron barbs protect oO

also for the love of god, STOP BRING UP OVERUSED HERE. YOU'RE IN THE UBERS SUBFORUM. thanks

Mega Charizard X could be an usable sweeper in sun teams.

Fire/Dragon isn't the best typing but not the worst either. Hitting everything at least neutral except Heatran means it has great coverage with its STABs.

Charizard has base speed 100 which is already pretty nice in Ubers. With DD it outspeeds almost everything par some scarf revenge killers. Ofc it could be faster or slower we don't know that yet but I assume it keeps its current base speed.

Its new ability gives contact moves a boost, probably 20% like Iron Fist. Charizards base attack is lackcluster 84 but it will probably go for 110-120 range. That't not bad after few DDs.

The 4th move isn't that important. Maybe Toxic/WoW for crippling switch ins or Rock Slide for killing Ho-Oh. Or Roost for healing SR + Flare Blitz damage.

Mega Charizard Y will probably be more used but well at least I'm going to try X too.

Also Mega Lucario will be an interesting one. Based on the picture someone posted on the leak thread it has about 130-140 base attack and 105-115 base speed iirc. This means it has about 10-12% higher attack stat whereas Adaptability means that Bullet Punch and Close Combat will get about 30% boost meaning about the same sized boost as Life Orb gives but without the recoil. Unfortunately it also means that LO'd Extremespeed is still the strongest priority attack Lucario can have.

But the speed boost is what could make Mega Lucario so good. Outspeeding almost every slower uber means it will be a great sweeper. The faster threats can be dealt with priority because almost none of them resist Bullet Punch. Crunch is probably the third move hitting many things harder than stabs like psychic and ghost types.

It's too bad (but maybe a good thing after all) that there can be an only one Mega pokemon per team. Charizard and Lucario aren't the only useful ones. Mega Blaziken will certainly be good and so will be Mega Mewtwo X/Y. Mega Garchomp could see some usage as an somekind of bulky tank with mega powerful Earthquake for Fairy types. And there are probably some great megas we haven't even seen yet. Time will tell but I'm predicting an very interesting uber metagame with lot's of great choices to made and strategies to use.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, didn't see it was the Ubers subforum. I thought there was only one thread for XY speculation. My bad.

Last edited:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mega Charizard X could be an usable sweeper in sun teams.

Fire/Dragon isn't the best typing but not the worst either. Hitting everything at least neutral except Heatran means it has great coverage with its STABs.

Charizard has base speed 100 which is already pretty nice in Ubers. With DD it outspeeds almost everything par some scarf revenge killers. Ofc it could be faster or slower we don't know that yet but I assume it keeps its current base speed.

Its new ability gives contact moves a boost, probably 20% like Iron Fist. Charizards base attack is lackcluster 84 but it will probably go for 110-120 range. That't not bad after few DDs.

The 4th move isn't that important. Maybe Toxic/WoW for crippling switch ins or Rock Slide for killing Ho-Oh. Or Roost for healing SR + Flare Blitz damage.

Mega Charizard Y will probably be more used but well at least I'm going to try X too.

Also Mega Lucario will be an interesting one. Based on the picture someone posted on the leak thread it has about 130-140 base attack and 105-115 base speed iirc. This means it has about 10-12% higher attack stat whereas Adaptability means that Bullet Punch and Close Combat will get about 30% boost meaning about the same sized boost as Life Orb gives but without the recoil. Unfortunately it also means that LO'd Extremespeed is still the strongest priority attack Lucario can have.

But the speed boost is what could make Mega Lucario so good. Outspeeding almost every slower uber means it will be a great sweeper. The faster threats can be dealt with priority because almost none of them resist Bullet Punch. Crunch is probably the third move hitting many things harder than stabs like psychic and ghost types.

It's too bad (but maybe a good thing after all) that there can be an only one Mega pokemon per team. Charizard and Lucario aren't the only useful ones. Mega Blaziken will certainly be good and so will be Mega Mewtwo X/Y. Mega Garchomp could see some usage as an somekind of bulky tank with mega powerful Earthquake for Fairy types. And there are probably some great megas we haven't even seen yet. Time will tell but I'm predicting an very interesting uber metagame with lot's of great choices to made and strategies to use.
Let me sum it up
Sacred fire > w/e the fuck zard has as fire phys
Brave bird > outrage
Regenerator > ability that makes zard still hit lighter than Phoenix
Better bulk > no bulk
Doesn't use up mega evo > uses up mega evo
90 base speed < 100 base speed
Better resists > crappier resists (mainly fairy resist and 4x weak to rock and ground immunity as opposed to 2x earth, 2x rock, 2x fairy weakness)

Fairy/Rock Carbink confirmed! :D Please have good bulk with recovery. (mostly physical bulk)

Edit: Mega Abomasnow confirmed! Hail's going to be a thing.

Last edited:
I did some calcs even though they are still pure theorymon. It's always fun.

Mega Lucario will be absolutely devastating. I mean there are only handful of counters and almost everything is at least 2HKOed. It will be one of the best late game sweepers and probably hard to revenge kill because it has gained some bulk and it has good typing resisting almost every priority attack. Will be everywhere I promise.

I also feel bad that I hyped Mega Charizard X. It won't work. Not because Haruno's Ho-oh is better post but because it won't find time to DD, it is SR weak and it can be revenge killed easily. Yes it will hit very hard but Flare Blitz takes it down too quickly. Mega Charizard Y will be better tho even it needs spin support.

There's been Mega pokemon list circling around. So far it has been 100% correct and one thing we haven't seen yet but is on the list is Heracross. Well that will be an interesting. Scarf Hera was absolutely great in 4th gen ubers. With more speed, bulkyness and some attack Mega Heracross could be a real threat too. Too bad fairies wall it pretty badly and Mega Lucario is still probably better but I'm still hopeful it could be usable. We will see...

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I don't understand how Mega Lucario could be devastating, let us not forget this is Ubers and he can't hold other items.

Mega Abowmasnow may actually see quite some use in Ubers IIIFFFFFFFFFF Hail is actually better this gen.

I don't understand how Mega Lucario could be devastating, let us not forget this is Ubers and he can't hold other items.

Mega Abowmasnow may actually see quite some use in Ubers IIIFFFFFFFFFF Hail is actually better this gen.
I see Mega Abomasnow as powerful Trick Room material (if it only got trick room :[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[)

You read my post didn't you?

Because I actually explained WHY it will be so good. But here's again.

a.) base attack 135-140 which is about 10% boost compared to normal Lucario's attack.
b.) base speed 110-115 which means it outspeeds all the base speed 90 guys even without boosting nature and everything under 110 with boosting nature
c.) adabtibility is free life orb for close combat and bullet punch without the recoil.
d.) added bulkyness + good typing means it can set up SD and that's pretty much it needs to sweep foe's whole team
e.) it also means it can't be revenge killed easily
f.) 2hkoes 90% of the metagame when most mons are 1hkoed with hazards

It won't be broken because it can be taken by suprise but you need to think how to stop it. Ho-oh is a great counter but bulky ghosts and psychics aren't because they take at least 60% from +2 crunch meaning they need full health to stop Mega Lucario.

Every scarfer that resists Bullet Punch blows away Lucario. Zekrom, Reshiram, Dialga, Palkia, Kyogre and Genesect are all common scarfers and all resist Bullet Punch. Good luck surviving a Flamethrower(Bolt Strike or Surf in Kyogre and Zekrom case) from them.

Every scarfer that resists Bullet Punch blows away Lucario. Zekrom, Reshiram, Dialga, Palkia, Kyogre and Genesect are all common scarfers and all resist Bullet Punch. Good luck surviving a Flamethrower(Bolt Strike or Surf in Kyogre and Zekrom case) from them.
All those scarfers need over 50% to survive from entry hazards + bullet punch. Dialga is your best bet. And well you can always run extremespeed which OHKOs everything except Dialga with SR and one layer of spikes.

So technically they don't "blow" Lucario away even if you may think so.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh psychic / fairy mr.mime is gonna bust all of us in bp chains. perish song + roar + dtail immunity. good luck guys, run 4 pkmn with haze!

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh psychic / fairy mr.mime is gonna bust all of us in bp chains. perish song + roar + dtail immunity. good luck guys, run 4 pkmn with haze!
Ugh, that would be another annoying combo like old Taunt Baton Pass Mew in Gen 4...

Also someone mentioned Dark/Poison typing being good way to at least check Fairyceus/Ghostceus... if we don't any good new Pokemon with this typing, I think I would really like to see MegaEvolution of Skuntank and/or Drapion, as right now they obviously lack raw stats to do it. But if they would get those MegaEvos (or normal Evos) they would be an interesting addition to Ubers metagame with really good typing to back them up.

Ugh, that would be another annoying combo like old Taunt Baton Pass Mew in Gen 4...

Also someone mentioned Dark/Poison typing being good way to at least check Ghostceus... if we don't any good new Pokemon with this typing, I think I would really like to see MegaEvolution of Skuntank and/or Drapion, as right now they obviously lack raw stats to do it. But if they would get those MegaEvos (or normal Evos) they would be an interesting addition to Ubers metagame with really good typing to back them up.
Drapion will probaby rise in usage in lower tiers but like you said it would need a mega evolution to be considered used in ubers too.

Well thankfully there is Yvetal which should be nice Ghostceus counter and darks and psychics in general. I hope it's fast and bulky.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Drapion will probaby rise in usage in lower tiers but like you said it would need a mega evolution to be considered used in ubers too.

Well thankfully there is Yvetal which should be nice Ghostceus counter and darks and psychics in general. I hope it's fast and bulky.
in fairyceus we trust. Also fast + bulky don't mix unless you're arceus.

Yvetal's spread is in the neighborhood of 130-135/130-135/90/130-135/90-95/90-95. Oblivion Wing is apparently an 80 base power Flying move that heals back a substantial proportion (more than half) of the damage done.

How good this thing will be in Ubers will probably hinge on the Dark-type signature move it'll get to take advantage of Dark Aura, and having 95 rather than 90 base speed would obviously be huge for it. It seems to have a bit of Kyurem syndrome where it appears to be tanky at first but the SR weakness means it still dies to the same things that something with average bulk and SR neutrality would die to. On the other hand, Oblivion Wing could mean that it's more likely to be facing things at closer to full health. If it has 135 HP and 95 Special Defense, it's guaranteed to survive a Scarf Kyu-W's Ice Beam at full heath if it has 252 HP EVs.

"Oh yeah, Oblivion Wing is Flying, Special, 80 Power 100 Accuracy. Restores HP by 'over half' of the damage dealt.

As you might imagine, Yveltal is a bitch to catch.

More on Oblivion Wing: The healing effect is not to be underestimated. If you hit someone of sufficient bulk you are getting back all your health, period."

Sexy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)