Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't like the idea of S+ and S- ranks. It just seems like a waste of time doing excessive nitpicking. I would say both Deoxys forms are S+ because they are being suspected right now. I would put Landorus and Thundurus at S rank because they are probably close to being suspected. Zard-X seems like S- because I don't think as many people actually want to see it suspected. I don't know what to do with Aegi because it seems like there are opinions all over the board with it. I think adding S+ and S- ranks adds too much feel factor to these rankings because most of the S rank Pokemon perform completely different roles and I don't know how you can compare them. I think it also just encourages people to inflate A+ rank Pokemon into the S- rank. I would rather just use some numerical ranking scale like rating Pokemon on a scale from 1-10 than having S+ and S- which basically have meanings of "best greatest" and "worst greatest" which makes absolutely no sense.

I know this might be splitting hairs a little, but I think Charizard X should be swapped with Deoxys-D. Charizard X is a pretty versatile Pokemon since it can run Dragon Dance sets to fit on all sorts of offensive teams while also running bulky sets to work perfectly on stall. Not only can it perform these sets, but it's really good at all of them. The Dragon Dance sets are some of the biggest offensive threats in the metagame with their solid speed, great amounts of power, and excellent coverage between STAB Dragon Claw/Outrage and Flare Blitz/Fire Punch alone. It even has reliable recovery and pretty solid bulk/defensive typing, which can help it set up easily on weaker opponents like Rotom-W with a bulky spread. On the flip side, its bulky set is a pretty nice special tank for defensive teams that makes a great counter or check to Pokemon such as Charizard Y, Bisharp, and even Mega Mawile (can at least outspeed and burn), which is pretty solid. I think one of the things that makes Aegislash so good is its ability to provide both offensive and defensive utility to teams, which Charizard X can also do to an extent. I think that Charizard X's versatility and the fact that it can perform offensive and defensive roles makes it one of the best Pokemon in the metagame, a solid S+ in my opinion.

Deoxys-D I don't feel as strongly about, but it just doesn't "feel" like a S+ Rank threat to me. It's insanely good at what it does, arguably the best in the metagame. However, hazard stacking is pretty much all that it does. It just doesn't have the versatility that the other S+ Pokemon do. Deoxys-S can stack hazards with similar effectiveness, set up quick Dual Screens, and even run a nice Life Orb set as both a revenge killer and late-game sweeper. Charizard X, if it does move up, has both solid offensive and defensive sets that allow it to fit on a wide variety of teams. Aegislash is...well, Aegislash. Deoxys-D can't claim the same levels of versatility. On the other hand, Deoxys-D has almost singlehandedly contributed to the influence of Hyper Offense in today's metagame, and it's clear that many players find it to be banworthy. You could make the argument that because Deoxys-D is so insanely good at what it does to the point that it might be broken due to its influence on the metagame, then it deserves to be S+, so I could see it either way.

Charizard X is definitely an S+ Rank threat. It is the best dragon-dancer in OU bar none, and has one of the best offensive typings. ZardX is one of the few Pokemon that have no true counters. Even the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier cannot deal with it, as Quagsire is 2HKOd by Outrage and Azumarill is OHKOd by a ThunderPunch it a +2 Flare Blitz. It also is very versatile, being one on of the best Megas to run on stall along with Venusaur with its SDef WoW set.

Basically, ZardX deserves S+ Rank because it fits on all team archetypes from Stall to HO and can run several viable sets due to its unparalleled power and good bulk.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know this might be splitting hairs a little, but I think Charizard X should be swapped with Deoxys-D. Charizard X is a pretty versatile Pokemon since it can run Dragon Dance sets to fit on all sorts of offensive teams while also running bulky sets to work perfectly on stall. Not only can it perform these sets, but it's really good at all of them. The Dragon Dance sets are some of the biggest offensive threats in the metagame with their solid speed, great amounts of power, and excellent coverage between STAB Dragon Claw/Outrage and Flare Blitz/Fire Punch alone. It even has reliable recovery and pretty solid bulk/defensive typing, which can help it set up easily on weaker opponents like Rotom-W with a bulky spread. On the flip side, its bulky set is a pretty nice special tank for defensive teams that makes a great counter or check to Pokemon such as Charizard Y, Bisharp, and even Mega Mawile (can at least outspeed and burn), which is pretty solid. I think one of the things that makes Aegislash so good is its ability to provide both offensive and defensive utility to teams, which Charizard X can also do to an extent. I think that Charizard X's versatility and the fact that it can perform offensive and defensive roles makes it one of the best Pokemon in the metagame, a solid S+ in my opinion.

Deoxys-D I don't feel as strongly about, but it just doesn't "feel" like a S+ Rank threat to me. It's insanely good at what it does, arguably the best in the metagame. However, hazard stacking is pretty much all that it does. It just doesn't have the versatility that the other S+ Pokemon do. Deoxys-S can stack hazards with similar effectiveness, set up quick Dual Screens, and even run a nice Life Orb set as both a revenge killer and late-game sweeper. Charizard X, if it does move up, has both solid offensive and defensive sets that allow it to fit on a wide variety of teams. Aegislash is...well, Aegislash. Deoxys-D can't claim the same levels of versatility. On the other hand, Deoxys-D has almost singlehandedly contributed to the influence of Hyper Offense in today's metagame, and it's clear that many players find it to be banworthy. You could make the argument that because Deoxys-D is so insanely good at what it does to the point that it might be broken due to its influence on the metagame, then it deserves to be S+, so I could see it either way.
While hazard stacking is something Deoxys-D does well at, I have to object to that being the only thing it's good at. I personally run the specially defensive set with Seismic Toss, Taunt/Magic Coat, Toxic, and Recover, and have won many a battle because of it. Sure, losing hazard stacking is a letdown, but it's rarely been the cause of any of my downfalls, and I do have other things to lay down Stealth Rock for me, namely Mamoswine. The set I use has always been the bane of stall's existence, and it's capable of single-handedly defeating stall teams all on its own. In fact, I think that, unless you have no other Pokemon to lay down hazards, this would be the best Deoxys-D set, but that's just me.

tl;dr Deoxys-D is a great hazard stacker, but that's not its only usable set.

Actually I was the one who posted that. I will let the S+ and S- take action once people nominate for those respective tiers. Right now what I am thinking is:

Aegislash - S+
Deoxys-Defense - S+
Deoxys-Speed - S+
Charizard X - S-
Landorus- S-
Thundurus - S-

Start discussing why or why not you agree or disagree. Like every other discussion please post intelligently and make sure you are knowledgeable enough about the topic to actually contribute. Thanks
Sorry, was referring to yall as one and the same there xD Sorry bout that.

Im still slightly perplexed as to why we would do this besides to do "more ranking" but sheesh, it just seems odd to be honest.

I still think they all perfectly encompass S Rank, which I think cant properly be split up as it is the rank in which the monsters that run the metagame reside, but if one where too, you have the Deo twins and Char X up in S+ and the two Genies in S- due to several limiting factors that just don't let them get up to the others standards. Aegislash I really don't know how to judge as it can be described as Gen 6's defining Pokémon (in he fact it has retained such ridiculously high usage throughout all the monhs) which seems to support my old idea a bit more than I thought. He himself is the definition of S rank which I cant accurately describe. He isn't able to be called better than the rest in anything really as they are the best at what they do, so trying to arbitrarily make the best of the best into the greatest with the rest of the best of the best is something I cant see being sorted well. Just my thought though.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Meh I dont like the whole idea of S+ and S-, but if we're gonna go with it, I assume that means we have just a plain S rank as well. Thundurus belongs here.

Thundurus is responsible for shaping the entire meta around it, basically. Its Priority Thunder Wave has, except for maybe aegislash, been the one most metagame changing factor in OU. It's the reason why Scarf Ground types are the only real Choice Scarf users nowadays, its why Sand Rush exca is so popular, its why Extreme Speed is favored so much! The gigantic popularity of priority moves in general can also be blamed partly on thundurus. Really, a simply priority Thunder Wave makes this guy the ultimate check to just so many pokemon, it just covers an incredible amount of bases all at once for an offensive team, and most of the time Thundurus has to be eliminated for any sweeper to do its job. Its simply incredible, and that I'd say a Priority T-wave alone places him at S-

But obviously, thundurus has WAY more than just that going for him. As if a priority t-wave wasn't enough, you had to give this man the godliest fking 115/125/111 offensive stats. Holy Shit that's AMAZING! His movepool is simply astounding as well, giving him a disctinct answer to his most common checks. For Example, Psychic hits Mega Venusaur and AV conkeldurr, two otherwise super solid checks. Knock Off kills Lati@s after rocks (maybe not latias with hp investment), another reasonable answer gone. A 111 speed tier puts him above a ridiculous amount of pokemon, and he's basically set himself as the second most popular speed tier to beat, right after ninja i'd say. Thus, with all his great coverage options and solid offensive stats, this guy forms a well known and fearsome 3 attacks LO+t-wave set. Good offensive presence and revenge killing utility, this guy is a complete staple to offensive teams for a good reason. Thanks to all this, he is basically the most popular birdspam check, because of how easy it is to fit him in on an offensive team.
And then you have some even better sets, like Taunt/T-wave/Sub+NP and bolt beam (or hp flying) coverage, which even acts as a win con! The sheer amount of pokemon he checks, dents, cripples has forced the meta to change around this fearsome mon, and its still a staple on any given offensive team.

TL ;DR As if prio t-wave doesn't make him annoying enough, he can actually do other things, so lets dump him in S.

Tbh I brought this up because of the simple fact that Pokemon like Landorus and Deoxys-Speed are not on the same level, but are both S simply because they are both insanely good and too good for A+. Deoxys-Speed can run more sets, threatens much more, performs virtually any role, etc. If it proves to be counter productive then it will be removed, but in order to make this as accurate as possible it is being implemented now.

No problem on the clumping of us, just wanted to clarify lol.

Srn, we don't have an S rank. It says S+ and S-

Alright so here is my stuff for the S-Ranks
S+: Aegislash (It is gen 6 OU, almost everything revolves around it), Zard X(I was borderline here if there was a normal S it would go there but..... anyways the DD set alone would keep it in S- the addition of the bulky WoW set pushes it to S+), Deoxys-S (Screens, Hazards, and RK set nuf said), Deoxys-D (Again if there was a normal S.... Deo-D HO is as prevelant as ever)
S-: Landorus (sorry stall, this thing exists), Thundurus (S normal if there was one, priority T-Wave is priority T-Wave, still stronk),

Also now that we have seperation I would like to throw up some S- Nominations as it seems that out of the A+ rank three mons stand out above the rest, and so without further ado I nominate Azumarrill, Talonflame, and Keldeo to S- Rank (possibly Megados but im not sure.)

Azumarrill can wallbreak with CB Waterfall/PlayRough, Revenge kill with CB Aqua Jet, Sweep With BellyJet, and Pivot with the AV set (most of its sets can pivot but you know AV does it really well)

Keldeo is a wallbreaker of almost the same caliber as Landorus and I believe that it should be ranked up there with him... What sure counters are there to Specs Keldeo (Venu is 2HKO'd by HP Fly and hates a burn if running scald, Azumarill hates a burn) and even then the only shaky counters to Keldeo in S through A Ranks are Azumarrill and Mega Venu (if no HP Fly). This is all without mentioning the godly CM Set with Hydro Pump, HP Fly, and Secret Sword which is only stopped by Vested Azumarill, Talonflame, ES Greninja, and Mega Pinsir.

Everyone Knows what Talonflame does and how well it does it and the only reason it wasn't S before was because of Deo-S revenge killer set. Yolobird is love, Yolobird is life.

Yay even more nitpicking but ok...

Aegislash -> S+ not much to say here, the definition of an S rank mon, many different sets all of them with different counters and all of them incredibly powerful, useful on any kind of team, the best ghost type ever to exist.

Charizard X -> S+ basicly the same as with Aegislash, many different and powerful sets with different counters, best DDer in the meta, useful on all kinds of teams and WoW Zard is just awesome beyond believe imo.

Deo-S -> S+ imo he is not as powerful and dangerous as the other 2 but he is versatile, useful on most team archetypes and does all of his roles very well.

Thundurus -> S- Yes he does have priority twave and yes thats awesome but that aside i dont find him to be that amazing. Without a boosting move he lacks power, his tbolt is nice with a life orb but looking at how much damage other things in the meta can do its mediocre and his coverage moves are barely strong/reliable enough to do their jobs. He is frail as hell, usually unable to switch in more than once, especially considering his SR weakness. He does well against offense due to T-wave but against stall and balance he often ends up beeing dead weight without a boosting move. His defiant set is good but faces lots of competition from Bisharp and has the opportunity cost of losing that prio twave, which is imo the reason why it sees so little usage even though its a better defiant user than Bisharp (imo)

Landorus -> S- Awesome wallbreaker but suffers from 4 mss, is easy to revengekill and cant do much outside of wallbreaking. Yeah rock polish sets are possible but i ve rarely faced any and if i did i never had any trouble with them so dont know if they are that good...

Deo-D -> S- God of hazard setting but kinda useless outside of it.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Actually I was the one who posted that. I will let the S+ and S- take action once people nominate for those respective tiers. Right now what I am thinking is:

Aegislash - S+
Deoxys-Defense - S+
Deoxys-Speed - S+
Charizard X - S-
Landorus- S-
Thundurus - S-

Start discussing why or why not you agree or disagree. Like every other discussion please post intelligently and make sure you are knowledgeable enough about the topic to actually contribute. Thanks
Not a huge fan of the idea of S+ and S- since there's a chance that the Deos might not even be part of the list in the near future but it's w/e really. Might as well voice my thoughts on this if we're doing this.

Aegislash for S+ is pretty much fine. Anyone who has an understanding of Aegislash knows how versatile this thing is and new players will get the idea right away that this is indeed a threat they should be aware of when building and battling.

The Deos in S+ rank are fine to me as well. Granted everyone has their own opinions on the matter of the Deos but for the most part many agree that the counters and checks for these two can be obscure at times and they're so easy to fit on teams. Like mentioned considering the current suspect test though not really sure how long this will even last, would sort of make the whole S+ and S- thing a bit pointless imo.

Char X is the only one I'm on the fence about and kind of shaky in agreeing with Char X being at S- . This might've been the case back when everyone was just running the attacker sets but now it has found its way into more team builds whether it be more offensive teams or defensive teams, with more people using stall Zard X as well. I think S is more suitable for Charizard X right now. S+ might be pushing it a bit cause people generally have a check or two to handle Char X or subconsciously add one in knowing that it's a threat.

As for the genies, Landorus for S- is fine. One of the best wall breakers in the tier with the only real flaw is being revenge killed at times and that's easily handled with proper team support anyways. Thundurus at S- is fine for now with the possibility of moving to S in the future. Some argue that it only has a couple of good sets but it doesn't change the fact that it's so versatile from an offensive and supportive standpoint.

That's my thoughts on those and now that I think about it Lando-I could possibly move to S rank in the future as well. I understand the thread is designed to reflect the current meta at this point in time but for now until we get a result on the Deos I think both genies should stay at S- rank for now. That way we can see how the meta changes and whether or not the genies begin to take a more active role.

Edit: Just read Nogs post on only S+ and S-. Consider any S rank nominations I made to be S- for now.

Last edited:
I think that if at all there are to be S+ and S- ranks, it shouldn't be primarily to divide the current S rank mons but rather to promote certain A+ mons such as Mega Mawile. I do believe the A+ rank could really use division more than the S rank which is already full of dominant mons which are easily the best at what they do and can't easily be compared to each other for a division.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Zard X should definitely be S+. It's the most versatile and threatening Mega in OU, has no true counters (only checks, many if which are shaky), and fits on every playstyle. It threatens pretty much everything after a single boost and is hard to justify any other Mega over it.

Lol I posted something along the lines of "I feel like there should be a s- rank" about a week ago. Here's my rankings:
S+
Aegislash: its aegislash lol
Charizard X: best sweeper in the game, has no real counter, people are calling for a suspect test etc
Thundurus: Srn's post says it nicely. Priority twave+best bird spam check+has the ability to beat most of its counters by running knock off/psychic/grass knot etc+115/125/111 offenses
S-
Deoxys-D: I just feel like hazard setting isn't good enough for S+. Sure it can lay stealth rocks+spikes against most teams, but they can easily be defoged away, even if it means sacing something to a +2 bisharp before going into your bisharp check.
Deoxys-S; The life orb 4 attacks set, while it does outspeed everything, it is kinda weak if not using psycho boost, iirc it can't even ohko excadrill with superpower. Could be wrong, cant check on my phone. It's also really hard to sweep because of the drop from psycho boost. Just not at the same power level as aegislash and chari x with that 95 base spatt.
Landorus: While really strong against venu stall teams without something like Dragonite, it isn't as good vs offense because it is outspend by a lot. I'd write more but my bus is nearly at my school.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am actually really quite annoyed that kyube has dropped. Kyube is an excellent Pokemon because as well as having great offensive pressure and destroying slower bulkier teams, it checks quite a few Pokemon on offence such as thundy w/o focus blast, belly drum azum and mega gyara which are all huge pains for offence. Although the LO set is great, I think the reason this thing should go back to A is its amazing scarf set. Kyube's scarf set is absolutely amazing. With insane attack this thing with full attack investment is KOing offensive Pokemon such as thundy with an outrage, something the like of scarf chomp can't. Its scarf set is so powerful and cleans so well. Also, unlike chomp it can destroy lando t, hippo and gliscor which give scarf chomp a huge annoyance. Scarf kyube literally is one of the best if not the best late game cleaners, with an outrage a lot more powerful than chomps, ice beam to get around things that can switch into its outrage and ridiculous bulk for an offensive Pokemon demands that it should move to A because it actually gives you a lot more reasons to use it over chomp. Its LO set is just the icing on the cake, this thing should defiantly move back to A.

I have elaborated in a previous post why I think gliscor should move up, and its pretty similar to what Srn9130 said. Gliscor has superior bulk than lando t, both specially and physically. Has an amazing ability in toxic heal and awesome recovery in roost. Also, people are starting to realise what a great check it is to lando i and aegi, two of the tiers very top threats. Its sub toxic set is also amazing and does a ton to unprepared teams. Move this thing to A- IMO.

Also keep hippo were it is, A is perfect for it. Hippo is great at what it does, wether its sp.defensive or physically defensive it can check a wide variety of Pokemon. But it has some glaring cons. First of all hippo has 4mms. On most sets slack off and stealth rock are mandatory, leaving u to choose from rock slide, eq, toxic, whirlwind ect. This means that it can't do everything its supposed to do in one set. Another con is that it pretty much needs to be at full health to take on things such as zard y, mega mawile zard x ect. If its not at full health zard y can 2ohko it on the switch in while mega mawile and zard x when boosted can take out a slightly weakened hippo. Overall hippo is really good, but its 4mms and the fact that it needs to be almost full health to check the things its supposed to means it is not at the level of other extremely meta defining pokemon in bisharp, keldeo, mega mawile mega gyara ect.

Lastly, I want to argue one more thing. Lando t to move to A-. Lando t is not as good as it was earlier in the meta. I have three/four arguments to why it should drop. Firstly as a rock layer it loses to skarm, mandi and the lati's, arguably the three most common defoggers in the tier. That alone hampers at its stealth rocking ability because if it can't take out the defoggers or loses to their hits they can defog, heal and attack Lando t and easily come out top or just massacre it with a draco meteor/surf. Another problem lando has is its over reliance on its ability to check physical attacks. Firstly, bisharp. Intimidate becomes a con not a pro against this thing. And bisharp can just massacre it with a knock off because of Lando's pretty mediocre defence w/o intimidate. Also, players with double switches can avoid intimidate and severly dent lando t with their attacks. My next point is its unreliable recovery and severe competition for a bulky ground type with gliscor and hippo. Gliscor and hippo can both invest in sp.defence and still have amazing defence, that is something Lando t can not do. Hippo and gliscor can take on aegi better while gliscor can take on lando i better aswell. Also, using lando t means you can not use lando i, one of the metas best pokemon atm. This isn't to much of a problem but it is a little con. Overall lando t's worse bulk than hippo and gliscor, lack of recovery, its over reliance on its ability and the fact that it looses to most of the common defoggers means it should drop to A-.

- sorry for the long post, just heaps to cover.
About Kyu-B: The thing is, there are usually better wallbreakers and utility checks to dangerous offensive Pokemon than Kyurem-B. Thundurus almost always carries Fighting coverage, and if not, there are many other Pokemon that can check it (Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Mamoswine), BD Azumarill is also checked by a decent amount of high ranked Pokemon, such as Latios, Latias, Keldeo, Talonflame, Mega Venusaur, and Rotom-W, so Mega Gyarados is the only really important one imo. It also doesn't wallbreak at all with the Sub or Scarf set against most teams with defensive cores, and if it goes for a 4 attacks sets its usefulness against offensive teams drops dramatically, as it will get one KO at best and then be unable to check the Pokemon you want it to (likely SR damage + LO recoil + more SR damage the next time it comes in), while being forced out by most offensive Pokemon.

But i can definitely see where you are coming from, as Kyu-B has a unique combination of traits, with its ability to check some dangerous Pokemon for offensive teams (those you mentioned), act as a decent scarfer with the ability to bypass some physical walls / tanks that other scarfers can't, and act as a decent wallbreaker with the right set.

However, in order to fully understand why Kyu-B is more deserving of A- than A you need to compare it with other offensive Pokemon in A and A- rank. Let's compare it with Terrakion for example. Terrakion also checks some dangerous Pokemon for offensive teams despite its bad defensive typing, such as Bisharp, Mega Pinsir, Mega Mawile, and Mega Charizard Y. However, unlike Kyu-B, is has way more switch-in chances and longevity thanks to its SR resistance. It is also a more effective Scarfer, thanks to it ability to revenge kill more threats, namely +1 Mega Charizard X and +1 Mega Tyranitar, two of the best sweepers in OU and some of the biggest reasons to use a scarfer in the first place. And even when it comes down to wallreaking, Terrakion is equally or even more effective than Kyurem-B with its offensive SD set, while still being more useful against offensive teams thanks to its higher Speed. To me, it is clear that Terrakion is one step above Kyurem-B as an offensive threat. This was just one comparison. I could also compare Kyurem-B with Dragonite, Mega Charizard Y, Latios, and Latias, and explain why Kyurem-B is not on the same level as those Pokemon, but i think one comparison was enough to at least make you understand where i came from when i dropped Kyruem-B. I (and several other people i talked with) think that Kyurem-B is more comparable with offensive Pokemon such as Breloom, Mamoswine, and Manaphy, than Terrakion, Dragonite, and Latios.

Rhaegar said:
Victini - I think the TauntWoW is a poor version of TauntWoW Heatran with the niche of checking Medicham, so it can be considered outclassed to an extent. Choiced sets look much more exciting on paper than in practice. The two sets aren't really too consequential to predict between either. But, it's still a great mon and I can see it moving to B aside from the fact that Torn-T and Suicune are still in B.
I used to think the same, but after trying it out i realized that Taunt Victini definitely has its merits. I will be talking about a moveset of V-Create, WoW, Taunt, Bolt Strike, as it was by far the most effective i used. First, it is able to check and immediately threaten Pokemon that Heatran can't, namely CM Magic Guard Clefable, Mega Medicham, Focus Blast Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Gardevoir in general, with Clefable being the most important. Even though Heatran can shut down and phaze Clefable it can't do any damage back, necessitating the need of another check or a lot of Pokemon that can 2HKO Clefable. However, Victini fully counters Clefable as it 2HKOes with V-Create and outspeeds even after one Speed drop, while shutting down Clefable's recovery with Taunt. Furthermore, Victini offers a ton more offensive pressure and has way better Speed, often making it more useful against offensive teams. Not to mention that sometimes being able to immediately OHKO walls is better than stalling them out slowly. Not saying i agree with Victinit for B, just wanted to mention that WoW + Taunt Victinti is not outclassed by Taunt + WoW Heatran.

Terrakion is equally or even more effective than Kyurem-B with its offensive SD set, while still being more useful against offensive teams thanks to its higher Speed. To me, it is clear that Terrakion is one step above Kyurem-B as an offensive threat
The big sellingpoint of kyub as a wallbreaker is that he doesnt need to set up to do his job, he doesnt even need a band for it so that comparison isnt that good imo. I agree with the drop though, as powerfull as its LO set might be, it gets worn down VERY fast is easy to revenge kill and still has troube to break chansey because it needs outrage for that which can be taken advantage of by a smart opponent.

Reactions: AM

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The big sellingpoint of kyub as a wallbreaker is that he doesnt need to set up to do his job, he doesnt even need a band for it so that comparison isnt that good imo. I agree with the drop though, as powerfull as its LO set might be, it gets worn down VERY fast is easy to revenge kill and still has troube to break chansey because it needs outrage for that which can be taken advantage of by a smart opponent.
Terrakion doesn't need to set up either if it uses the all-out attacking set with dual STABs, Earthquake, and Hidden Power Ice.

I'm pretty sure KB's physical sub set of Dragon Claw, Fusion Bolt, Ice beam and Sub gives Chansey a run for her money because Dragon Claw is a 3HKO and Seismic can't break the subs, all without the need for locking into Outrage. It's one of the best sub users in the meta still, and it has a number of different sets to chose from which are all pretty damn good in one way or another. LO + 4 attacks can run HP Fire to decapitate Scizor and Ferrothorn, for example, which are basically the only true would-be counters to KB. It looks a bit strange at first having KB in A- I must say.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll

Aegislash - S+
Deoxys-Defense - S+
Deoxys-Speed - S+
Charizard X - S-
Landorus- S-
Thundurus - S-

Imo I would switch Deo-D w/ Thundurus. Deo-D is amazing at what it does, but ultimately it is a support 'mon, and not immediately threatening. I find it difficult to put a 'mon that is usually a suicide lead with the incredibly centralizing Aegislash and the multi role Deo-S/ Thundurus on the other hand is the honestly the poster boy of offense. The ability to check pretty much any sweeper is so valuable, as well as a plethora of sets. I find battling a Thundurus far more threatening than seeing a Deo-D in team preview. Usually I am more afraid of the Bisharp hiding in the back, rather than the hazard setter itself.

Honestly though, I am not entirely sure of these S rankings, with only polars. IMO, it should look something more like this:

Aegislash- S+
Deo-S - S
Deo-D - S
Thundurus - S
Landorus - S-
Char-X - S-

But if we have to go with polars, what i said before stands.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 15809 Mega Gardevoir to A- Mega gardevoir is a great Pokemon in OU. With excellent sp.attack, good offensive typing and an awesomely powerful stab in pixilated hyper voice to abuse makes it a real threat. It also has excellent sp.defence for an offensive pokemon, surviving massive hits like a specs keldeo's hydro pump and lando i's earth power. Mega gardevoir threatens all team archetypes. Its great against stall with awesome stabs and taunt which lets it hammer at their defences, stop them healing and then destroy the weakened Pokemon late game. It is good against balanced as well (what isn't) and with the utility of taunt and massive power in its stabs lets it put in a ton of work. Mega gardevoir is also good against offence by taking out slower pokemon such as azum, loom, adamant mega zard x, mega ttar, dnite ect. It can also take massive hits like the such I have already mentioned and then KO back. For example a thundy's LO thunderbolt does around 60% and it KO's back with hyper voice as well as being a good switch in to the lati's.

Mega voir also has a nifty 4x resistance to fighting which gives it switch in's to things such as a choice locked keldeo secret sword and looms mach punch. It can also get around the steels that trouble it with focust blast. Mega voir can also opt to run will-o-wisp to nail switch ins such as scizor and aegi which are then crippled. Mega voir does have its cons in piss poor defence and a middling speed tier as well as using a mega slot but its massive special attack, powerful stabs, great sp.defence and a 4th move slot that can give it good utility or cripple normal switch-ins make it a deadly force to be rekoned with in OU and it definately deserves A-.
Mega Gardy is easy as fuck to check/revenge kill because its Defense sucks ass. It has a great speed at base 100, but it can't boost it and it doesn't outspeed much on offense before MEvoing. Even if it Will-o's Scizor as it switches in it still gets threatened out because it can't threaten it back as it uses Swords Dance and kills you anyway. B+ is fine for it.

Ok apparently we didn't read so I'll say it again.

THERE IS NO S RANK ANYMORE, IT'S SIMPLY S- AND S+

Thank you

Last edited:
Yeah I can think of no reason to split up S rank, already an unpopulous tier, other than tying up discussion in controversial 'top-mon' nonsense that distracts from the piles of semi-sorted Pokemon in lower rankings who need some love. You can already count the best of the best on one hand and Pokemon like Deo-D and Landorus already brink on incomparable -- I can't see how sorting them further will provide any benefit of note to novice players trying to get a formative sense of the metagame. I object pretty strongly to the divide. I also think alexwolf's unfavorable comparison between Kyurem-B and other wall/stallbreakers and scarfers is on the reductive side and downplays Kyurem-B's unique strengths, but I'll hold my tongue on that one until I see some more arguments about its placement. The drop (despite the assurances of PM/IRC contributions) seems somewhat spontaneous considering I've only ever seen Kyurem-B lauded as an HO/BO/Rain staple and major threat

I still don't see why we need to divide a rank with 6 Pokemon in it. Should we also split A rank into A++, Amiddlemiddle and A--? You know, just to be precise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)