Pokémon Yveltal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know approximately jack-shit about the Ubers metagame, but maybe a Substitute+3 Attacks with Life Orb (usually not a good combination but Yveltal needs the boost from it and has Oblivion Wing) could be effective?

move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Oblivion Wing
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Substitute
item: Life Orb
ability: Dark Aura
nature: Timid
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe

Fairly simple moveset. Dark Pulse and Oblivion Wing are there for STAB, and Focus Blast for dealing with Tyranitar and any Steel-types that can take a Dark Pulse. Oblivion Wing > Hurricane on this set because Substitute and Life Orb will kill Yveltal pretty quickly otherwise. 232 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow you to outspeed 252+ Rayquaza and Kyurem-W, and 32 HP EVs gives you 401 HP, which is a Substitute number if I remember correctly.

Code:
PS! Format:

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
Reposting for feedback.

Does Dark Aura boost the power of Dark type moves on the field or all allies? (I feel like I read it somewhere)

In other words, if I use Yveltal and Tyranitar on the same team in singles, will Ttar's Crunch be boosted?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
"All allies" means in Pokemon terms, "All Pokemon on your side of the field at the same time"

So if you were playing Doubles, TTar's crunch would be stronger if both were out, as an example.

Edit: vvvvvvvv That would be correct MrEon

Last edited:
"All allies" means in Pokemon terms, "All Pokemon on your side of the field at the same time"

So if you were playing Doubles, TTar's crunch would be stronger if both were out, as an example.
But in singles, if Ttar is out on the field and Yveltal is in, Crunch wont be boosted right?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Desperate for what? I'm just trying to see what Yveltal can do other than forcing something out only to be forced out itself the next turn. It has no good boosting moves, very limited offensive movepool, almost no resistances and subpar speed. Its stats are overall great but distributed in a way it can't specialize in anything, and we all know how jacks-of-all-trades don't really cut it in this game (and before you say "Arceus", that's a master-of-all-trades you're talking about).

I totally agree that you don't need a dozen of resistances, but at the very least you need 3-4 resistances to dominant attacking types (and by "dominant" I mean types that even stall teams make sure to have, such as fire and ice) to be a good pivot. What does Yveltal have other than Ground immunity? Resistances to Grass, Ghost and Dark. Not exactly the most common attacking types. What's the point of running U-Turn when it's taking 25% damage from SR and potentially 50%+ from a neutral attack? Might as well try to kill anticipate the switch-in and kill it with the appropriate move - that would certainly accomplish more.
As good as Yveltal's bulk is, it won't enjoy STAB 100+ BP moves from common attackers such as Keldeo and Terrakion without being able to resist them.

Also, those potential partners you listed still fail to solve Yveltal's problem about lack of resistances. Hydro Pump/Thunder spam in the rain and Fire Blast spam in the sun (hell, maybe even without weather) will swiftly destroy both Yveltal and the steel/psychic partner of choice. Do you now see why resistances are important to have?
I just wanna say that there's a lot of wrong in this post.

"Forcing something out only to be forced out on the next turn": Welcome to Pokemon. This applies to virtually every non setup sweeper Pokemon in the game. Congrats.

Limited offensive movepool: I'm sorry but I don't see how Yveltal's offensive movepool is limiting at all. He possesses great STABs backed with 104+ BP that is only resisted by like 5 Pokemon, and outside of ttar we won't really be seeing the rest except maybe Klefki and Mega Mawile (and neither have the Special Defense to actually tank the hits well). Also, strongest priority in the game (even though unreliable). Yveltal won't be getting much out of whatever elemental moves it could've gotten anyways.

Almost no resistances: Ghost resistance is huge as Steel lost that resist, and Ghost Arceus now has an easier time wrecking teams. Ground immunity, Psychic immunity (hi there Mewtwo). Dark resistance also helps as otherwise it'd have to deal with Dark Aura boosted Dark attacks. Grass resist is w/e. Not a huge number, I agree, but their importance is undeniable. Its somewhat unique set of resists and Spikes immunity (enough to make up for that SR weak given how common Spikes is in Ubers), and recovery makes it a viable pivot.

Subpar Speed: In what Ubers world is 99 "subpar?" Look at all the base 90s floating around. 99 Speed is almost a godsend. Oh and it has Sucker Punch.

Jack-of-all-trades: Yveltal's combination of stats/movepool/typing/bulk allows it to perform threats that most Pokemon can't. Through this, it already masters some. Almost no other Pokemon has this much sustain on a purely offensive set. No Pokemon has a stronger priority. Potentially the best Ghostceus counter in the game. He's the jack of all trades, master of some.

let me translate last post in a set:

yveltal Life orb
hasty 32atk 252spa 224spe
sucker punch
oblivion wing
dark pulse
focus blast

speed enough to blast timid max speed kyuW (and I see very little of those, normally they go modest, but just in case...)

let me translate last post in a set:

yveltal Life orb
hasty 32atk 252spa 224spe
sucker punch
oblivion wing
dark pulse
focus blast

speed enough to blast timid max speed kyuW (and I see very little of those, normally they go modest, but just in case...)
Actually, I thought of something similar:

Yveltal@Assault Vest/Expert Belt/Dread Plate
Mild/Rash/Hasty/Naive Nature
EVs: 32 Atk 252SAtk 224 Spe
Sucker Punch
Dark Pulse
Oblivion Wing
U-Turn/Focus Blast

Here the idea is you bluff a Choice Item then catch something off guard with Yveltal's huge offenses. One notable idea is that AV patches up a -SDef Nature which in turn will help keep the bluff going (since people might be able to read an AV otherwise). EBelt and the Plate are alternatives but IMO the Vest makes for the most of what Yveltal is: a powerhouse with a lot of staying power. U-Turn is better for the bluffing, though Focus Miss is for when you lure in a TTar (moreso in OU then Ubers). My favorite concept is baiting a scarf Genesect then bashing it with a Sucker Punch (very useful with how they will be Hasty to stop other Genes from getting the +SAtk boost).

EDIT: Wanted to also mention that a +SAtk baits Specs while +Speed baits Scarf. I prefer the extra power, since most things in that range don't run +Speed natures (I did keep the speed EVs to outpace Adamant/Modest base 95s like non-mega Lucario and Kyurem).

Sucker Punch
Dark Pulse
Oblivion Wing
U-Turn/Focus Blast

Here the idea is you bluff a Choice Item then catch something off guard with Yveltal's huge offenses. One notable idea is that AV patches up a -SDef Nature which in turn will help keep the bluff going (since people might be able to read an AV otherwise). EBelt and the Plate are alternatives but IMO the Vest makes for the most of what Yveltal is: a powerhouse with a lot of staying power. U-Turn is better for the bluffing, though Focus Miss is for when you lure in a TTar (moreso in OU then Ubers). My favorite concept is baiting a scarf Genesect then bashing it with a Sucker Punch (very useful with how they will be Hasty to stop other Genes from getting the +SAtk boost).

EDIT: Wanted to also mention that a +SAtk baits Specs while +Speed baits Scarf. I prefer the extra power, since most things in that range don't run +Speed natures (I did keep the speed EVs to outpace Adamant/Modest base 95s like non-mega Lucario and Kyurem).
How exactly would you 'bluff' a Choice item?

Also did some quick calcs, with 32 atk EVs Yveltal does ~60% to Genesect at least with a non-LO Sucker Punch. There might be a way to fiddle with the EVs so it can get the OHKO with life orb. Though I am not sure if an Ice Beam will kill Yveltal with an AV, even if the bug gets the +1 from download and/or Yvel has a -SDef nature (Which is why I like it so much).

Well 99% of the items used that aren't choice are Leftovers and Life Orb, which can obviously be seen.
Oh, I get that much. What I meant was, even if you use the same move repeatedly to imitate a choice item's aftereffects, people might wonder where that 50% stat boost is. They might assume you're using a move that wouldn't benefit from one choice item or the other, get suspicious at the strategic misstep, and maybe even call the bluff.

I have just gotten a yveltal with the following according to metalkids iv calculator, idk if its reliable.

Yveltal - #717 (Docile)
HP: 30 - 31
Att: 4 - 5
Def: 31
SpA: 30 - 31
SpD: 28 - 29
Speed: 30 - 31

i can still reset and try for one with a better nature, should i do it or is this as good as it's going to get?

I have just gotten a yveltal with the following according to metalkids iv calculator, idk if its reliable.

Yveltal - #717 (Docile)

i can still reset and try for one with a better nature, should i do it or is this as good as it's going to get?
If I were you I'd SR. I'm pretty sure that a correct nature is more important than IVs...
Anyway, what you should do is decide on a moveset first.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Yveltal - #717 (Docile)

IV's would be amazing, docile is pretty meh though

Yveltal - #717 (Docile)

afaik in gen 6 legendaries always have 3 or more IVs at 31, so I would keep trying to get a better nature if someone can confirm the IV thing.

Haruno

afaik in gen 6 legendaries always have 3 or more IVs at 31, so I would keep trying to get a better nature if someone can confirm the IV thing.
It's confirmed. Zygarde/xerneas/yveltal/birds/mewtwo have 3 31 IV's at the minimum.

Oh, I get that much. What I meant was, even if you use the same move repeatedly to imitate a choice item's aftereffects, people might wonder where that 50% stat boost is. They might assume you're using a move that wouldn't benefit from one choice item or the other, get suspicious at the strategic misstep, and maybe even call the bluff.
The bluff is only meant to lure in something. For example you lure in a TTar and Focus Blast it, lure in a frail scarfer and Sucker Punch it, or bait a fighting type and Oblivion Wing it.

Sucker Punch
Dark Pulse
Oblivion Wing
U-Turn/Focus Blast

I'm catching him right now and i'm gonna use this set for sure, it's quite original and powerful!Thank you :) (what would you suggest between +speed and +s attack natures)??

Hello there, I am not sure if this is acceptable for endgame competitions since I have yet so much to learn about pokemons and the mechanics but for some reason I've grown to really like the game and I developed a slight obsession about stats and soft resetting lol.

My 2nd catch, I got excited for getting nearly perfect IVs (from the forum sources) and caught a Quirky 201/150/115/151/117/119 Yveltal... I thought of keeping it albeit after reading quite a bit it seems that many still favor a decent nature over good IVs for competitions, was it a good judgement call?

I did reset over 50++ times now to finally get a Modest Yveltal with the following stats and plan on using/try the first SpA/SpD build in this topic. Perhaps it is still lacking some speed?

201/130/115/166/116/110

I need some validation and expertise here, I may not play against pros but I do want to dig deep into this game and enjoy online competitions for a little while.

Haruno

Hello there, I am not sure if this is acceptable for endgame competitions since I have yet so much to learn about pokemons and the mechanics but for some reason I've grown to really like the game and I developed a slight obsession about stats and soft resetting lol.

My 2nd catch, I got excited for getting nearly perfect IVs (from the forum sources) and caught a Quirky 201/150/115/151/117/119 Yveltal... I thought of keeping it albeit after reading quite a bit it seems that many still favor a decent nature over good IVs for competitions, was it a good judgement call?

I did reset over 50++ times now to finally get a Modest Yveltal with the following stats and plan on using/try the first SpA/SpD build in this topic. Perhaps it is still lacking some speed?

201/130/115/166/116/110

I need some validation and expertise here, I may not play against pros but I do want to dig deep into this game and enjoy online competitions for a little while.
The two most crucial stats are SpA and speed, the latter which you're missing. I'd keep restarting

blitzlefan

shake it off!

201/130/115/166/116/110

Though not necessarily pertinent to Yveltal competitively, in-game, I'd suggest you do the synchronize trick for a good nature (this will speed things up considerably if you're not doing so right now). Run a Pokemon with a Timid / Modest / whatever nature with the ability Synchronize in the lead position and there will be a 50% chance of Yveltal matching the nature. GOod luck! :) Make sure you can get a perfect Speed stat, and the Special Attack stat is the next most important.

Haruno: I thought the lack of speed might be a problem here, I shall keep trying then. Thank you for the feedback.

blitzlefan: I just googled synchronize and I had no clue, that would've helped a lot since I did catch a Modest Abra early in the game (EDIT: Sadly with the Inner Focus ability heh, so that's another hunt to go on!). I will make it lead and keep resetting. Thank you very much.

I will keep doing this until I have 166 SpA and 119 SpD with a Modest nature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)