Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can someone help me interpret what's going on in this video? (1) How did Weavile bring Milotic down to < 10% with a single hit? (2) What did Crobat use on the sleeping Metagross such that Meta loses health every turn? I totally didn't understand these two...
(1) Looks like a Night Slash that got a critical hit to me.

(2) It's probably Nightmare, which can be learned via XD Tutor. I'd be surprised if Crobat couldn't learn it; few Pokémon look more nightmarish.

(2) It's probably Nightmare, which can be learned via XD Tutor. I'd be surprised if Crobat couldn't learn it; few Pokémon look more nightmarish.
Thanks for your help. I thought it might've been Nightmare as well, but according to this guide on GameFAQS (link), Crobat doesn't learn it. But in my mind there is literally nothing else that can be...

Edit - can't be Bad Dreams; it's clearly a move. It seems like it MUST be Nightmare, but I've literally checked 3 times and Crobat evidently doesn't learn it. Must be a typo on the guide-writer's part?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Regigigas were obtainable at 50 I'd have some fun with a Skill Swap special attacking Bronzong and Regi, but damn he isn't.

Oh, I'm signed up and waiting to be one of the "lucky" 128 to play a doubles tourney with 4 Pokémon o_0

Will the same JAA Smeargle + Ambipom (over Jynx) combo work in this tourney? Is it worth a shot with a legal Sand Streamer in to fuck stuff up?

Could be a hacked Bad Dreams...

Its not nightmare, that move does 1/4 damage each turn.

He actually confused the opponent and got extremely lucky. This explains why he uses the move twice on the same Metagross.

cim

Some strategies I've been thinking about:

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd; Adamant
- Sunny Day
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Exeggutor @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd; Modest / Rash
- Sleep Powder
- Solarbeam
- Skill Swap
- Explosion / HP Ice

How it should work: Ninjask Sunny Days, eliminating Sand and boosting Exeggutor's Speed. Exeggutor then Sleep Powders on the most threatening Pokémon. Ninjask will always get one Speed Boost barring Fake Out (which he should survive, no?), one member will be asleep, and Exeggutor can target the other as Ninjask Baton Passes to something like Flareon, Arcanine, or Houndoom.

Then Exeggutor uses the Sleeps he bought on Turns 1 and 2 to Skill Swap with Flareon, Arcanine, or Houndoom, Exeggutor buying a Fire immunity and the other outspeeding everything. Then Exeggutor could Explode as the other Protects or just take out more stuff with HP Ice.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It's not Nightmare people. Crobat used Confuse Ray on Gross and it kept on hurting itself

Unfortunately, Chris, when you Skill Swap with Flareon/etc. you loose the Speed boost from Chlorophyll.

yamipoli

the only person more obsessive than jumpman
is an Artist Alumnus
I sent Pokemon USA an email a few days ago, mainly because I wanted to get some things cleared up.

Original email:

Okay. I've got a few questions:

Are Pokemon from Pokemon XD allowed? (I believe so as under this clause: * Already learned by a Pokémon, which was downloaded from another Pokémon game (such as the Pikachu, which knows Surf, from Pokémon Battle Revolution)}

Are Japanese, or other foreign Pokemon allowed? Say you have a Garchomp with the default Japanese name. Will you be checking the nicknames of these Pokemon to make sure they are not obscene if they are allowed?

Are Japanese event Pokemon allowed? For example, there was a Japanese Pokepark event Absol with the move "Wish". Is this allowed?

Are US event Pokemon, such as the Wish Lickitung that was distributed at the New York Pokemon Center, allowed?

Are Pokemon that learn a certain move earlier on third generation (say, Porygon-2) able to have moves that they do not learn until later on (tri attack, learned at 38 in ruby/sapphire, and 51 in diamond/pearl) allowed, if they did learn it on previous generations? Will you be checking for this on player's Pokemon?

What kind of cheat checking will you be checking for? I have several Master Balls I've received legitimately from the lottery (I have a total of 4) and many battle tower items I received legitimately from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. While I realize it is in your best interest to not completely reveal how you plan to check these things as to avoid people putting up counter measures, I am wondering if the tournament staff will be well versed in the difference between "fairly earned" and "gotten with an action replay." As an example, the difference between 4 master balls, and 999 master balls.

What are your plans for people who send their friends out to go check out opponent's teams? Is this counting as being disruptive, because it gives them an unfair advantage to what they know before?

Will people be monitored while using the Special DS systems to make sure they cannot tamper with slot 2 (for example, to use a cheat device in it?)

Are "stall" strategies allowed? These are NOT the kind that keep your actual opponent distracted from the game in order to prolong the match, but the teams that rely on spikes/sandstorm/toxic and other disruptive moves, along with healing moves (roost, recover, rest, so forth.) I'm wondering about this especially because something in the rules (on the qualifier rules, under "Tournament Rules") states "Players who are found to be intentionally delaying the pace of their match will be disqualified from the event."

Thank you.

Their response:

Subject: [ #ZMJ-34732-777]: Video Game Showdown (Question): Pokemon Eligible for the Video Game Showdown
Date: May 30, 2008 1:32:57 PM CDT
To: [my email]
Reply-To: customerservice@go-pokemon.com

Your best bet is to only use Pokemon that you have raised yourself and items that you have received through normal game play.
Pokemon who have learned a move through legitimate means, whether via an earlier Pokemon game or as an event download, are permitted at the event.

We cannot and will not discuss the extent of verification that will be used at the Showdown or the Qualifier Tournaments. Additionally, we cannot provide you with any information about checking your own Pokemon by yourself.

Only players who are competing will be permitted in the area where matches take place. Additionally, per the tournament regulations, players are permitted to switch with Pokemon they're using between rounds, so scouting will be less effective against players that have more than 4 Pokemon ready to compete. Additionally, staff will be on hand to monitor matches as they happen.

In regards to stalling, we're talking about taking too long to pick your next move. Spikes/Sandstorm/Toxic teams are legitimate strategies, though any player using them should be aware of the time restrictions on each match. However, a player that takes an unreasonable amount of time deciding which Pokemon to switch in, or what their next attack will be.

[name]
Pokemon USA, Inc.
333 108th Ave NE Suite 1900
Bellevue, WA 98004
www.go-pokemon-tcg.com/op

cim

Well, the point of the Ninjask, Exeggutor, and other Fire type combo is to give a Fire type Chlorophyl to sweep with once Exeggutor's on the way out. Also, Flash Fire to Exeggutor would be nice, I guess.

Maybe something high attack with Skill Swap + Azumarill...

You know whom would be an excellent recipient? Rhy-fucking-Perior! he resists Fire, Exeggutor <3's Solid Rock, Water's weakened anyway, and he loves +3 Speed. And Exeggutor resists Earthquake. Horray.

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
- Dark Void
- Skill Swap
- Sheer Cold
- Substitute / Tailwind

The idea here is to Dark Void as my teammate Knocks Off or Tricks my Choice Scarf (teammate holding Sash would be ideal), then switch to Machamp as I Skill Swap. Sheer Cold spam FTW? Tailwind support could help.

Some of the possible partners include Pelliper (Knock Off / Tailwind), Grumpig (Trick + Bulkiness), Hypno (Switcheroo + Bulkiness)... Thief could work too with Machamp being the Theif-er, kinda.

I passed the quiz about a week ago I hope I get in to the 128 random spots. I'm surprised they didn't ban the legendary dogs like suicune from the double battles.

I'm surprised they have item clause but no evasion clause or ohko clause. The whole raffle thing is a big pain I'm breeding and training like crazy but I don't even know I get to go.

I'm surprised they have item clause but no evasion clause or ohko clause. The whole raffle thing is a big pain I'm breeding and training like crazy but I don't even know I get to go.
Official tournaments are not highly competitive, as I understand it; i.e. this is like the Battle Tower, where Latios/Latias is allowed, Deoxys-S is banned, and item caluse is in effect. but about OHKO...I'm wondering if there's even enough time to do that effectively. Smeargle has shit defenses and is likely going to get slept, and it can't hold a Sash and a lum Berry.

Azelf@Choice Band
252 atk/252 speed
Jolly
Explosion

Smeargle@salac berry
252 speed/252 HP
Jolly
Dark Void
Endure
Mind Read
Sheer Cold

Azelf explodes, outspeeding the majority of other pokes. Smeargle Dark Voids whatever switches in. If an enemy poke looks like it could survive (Metagross, for example,) smeargle endures, and then dark voids next turn.
I plan on hacking a smeargle with all four moves that I want for my smeargles onto cartrige A, transferring it to cartridge B, where the real smeargle traces it, and then transferring the real smeargle to cartrige C. This is undetectable and a major time saver from actually getting these moves. The smeargles are going to be bred the same way--hack all-31 smeargles on A, transfer them to B, where I breed them, and then transfer those to C. Breeding and sketching do not leave traces. This is the most efficient way to get a smeargle with the following moves.

Now if I can only get picked...

Azelf@Choice Band
252 atk/252 speed
Jolly
Explosion

Smeargle@salac berry
252 speed/252 HP
Jolly
Dark Void
Endure
Mind Read
Sheer Cold

Azelf explodes, outspeeding the majority of other pokes. Smeargle Dark Voids whatever switches in. If an enemy poke looks like it could survive (Metagross, for example,) smeargle endures, and then dark voids next turn.
I plan on hacking a smeargle with all four moves that I want for my smeargles onto cartrige A, transferring it to cartridge B, where the real smeargle traces it, and then transferring the real smeargle to cartrige C. This is undetectable and a major time saver from actually getting these moves. The smeargles are going to be bred the same way--hack all-31 smeargles on A, transfer them to B, where I breed them, and then transfer those to C. Breeding and sketching do not leave traces. This is the most efficient way to get a smeargle with the following moves.

Now if I can only get picked...
Your idea would work well...for ADV 2v2. In D/P, Pokemon switch in after all moves for the turn have been done, not immediately following a KO. So when you Explode, you're going to be putting only what survives to sleep.

What you could do instead is use Endure with Smeargle on turn #1 and have Salac activate. Then on the next turn, you can outspeed everyone and Dark Void, allowing you to sweep with whatever you brought in for Azelf. Alternatively, you could use Focus Sash and Agility to accomplish this but Endure is probably safer.

If you're going to NYC regardless of if you qualify or not, I'm staying in Kokomo, IN this summer for an electrical engineering co-op job. Since Bloomington is only 2 hours south of Kokomo, we could meet somewhere and drive up together. I'm still on the fence about going though.

You guys are all aware that you get Azelf, the legendary birds, and all those fairies at lvl. 50. You you can't EV them beyond use of vitamins.

Ive looked threw a few pages and all of them have Smeargle in them
Im gonna post some speed ^^ Some common pokemon and pokemon you might see because its doubles and almost no rules

Btw dont mind the natures
I just used one that up speed and one the didnt

Smeargle Jolly - Scarf 409 - 252 EVs
Garchomp Adamant - Scarf 411 - 136 EVs
Weavile Adamant - Scarf 429 - 0 EVs
Heracross Adamant - Scarf 403 - 252 EVs
Azelf Adamant - Scarf 411 - 32 EVs

Now some random sets ^^

Machamp - Jolly - Scarf 343 - 252 EVs
Swellow Jolly - Scarf 429 - 0 EVs
Crobat Adamnant - Scarf 444 - 0 EVS

So you might want to use those or watch out for those
Dark Void Smeargle Counters :)
I would use Smeargle and Machamp for the Never Miss :)
And Dynamic Punch away!!

BTW Machamps no guard works for all pokemon...
You dont have to skill swap
All 4 pokemon have 100% Accuracy

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
The Box Trick still works, just not for Lv.100's anymore, because they don't gain experience at level 100.

Machamp's no guard does not work for all 4 Pokemon.

For interest's sake, I sent Showdown staff an email asking whether or not cloning was a legitimate technique. And also if Pokemon bred with 'tampered' parents are considered tampered with themselves.

Obviously the second one will have little impact on us since its easy to avoid (i just wanted their opinion on it), but the first one could throw a lot of you off.

I read somewhere that cloning via GTS doesn't alter your secret Pokemon counter or something along those lines. Would that produce a similar effect as hacking?

Maybe more of you could send in emails to guarantee a response.

(For the record, I don't support either method of obtaining Pokemon.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)