CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 9 - (Sprite Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zebstrika is providing some decent feedback, though it seems a bit harsh.

Awww yeahhh, sunnt123 bringing his A-game. Between wing up and wing down, I don't really care if the face isn't visible, but wing up does match the front sprite better. Also, Sleet's sprite's face isn't visible and people still love it, so I doubt that's an issue. I appreciate the foot fix btw :D I still think the lighter colouring would be a little better, adding contrast as well as making the detail easier to see. Good job!

suntt123 - one thing I like about the original art is that the claws on the wings/arms were as big as the ones on the feet. yours are kinda small for my tastes. other than that the pose is my favorite so far.

Edit: wow, got ninja'd by like 5 people. in the back sprite, suntt123, I like the head down but maybe you could raise it a little but not as high as the first, again my favorite pose so far

Zebstrika is providing some decent feedback, though it seems a bit harsh.
Oh. Sorry.
For that back sprite, to clarify why I think you should show a little more face, it's because if I only saw that I wouldn't think it had that face. It feels like the face looks just like the top of the head.

Still the back sprite differ a bit from the amazing front sprite. First of all, the wings are held down unlike the front where he holds them up with the paws above shoulder height. It still look a bit hunched over maybe try to lower the white and purple feathers just a tiny bit from the head and flat out the curve that look like its butt some. Also the back feathers are dragging along the ground, something that i cant see at all on the front.

Basicly make it resemble the front more.

sunnt123 that looks fantastic, maybe a little lighter but i love the pose. I'm really looking forward to people's spin on shiny colouration.

sleet's could be a finished back sprite its that good.

Would recommend keeping the large back and hunched look and subtly working it into the front sprite (maybe the wings just angle upwards before they disappear behind the body)>

Bonjour.

This is my new sprite with a green perimeter. Inside the green is a 96x96 canvas, a new back, a new front, and potential female alterations.

LOTS OF WAFFLE ABOUT CHANGES BELOW.
FRONT:
- Changed the position of his tail feathers. As I was trying to change the colours and whatever, I just thought it blended in a bit too much so I moved it as much as possible to make it still look 'okay'.
- Altered his chest feather shading massively, it was poor the first time around and I'm slightly happier this time. Slightly.
- Extra little bits like changed the shape of his claws, head feathers, the purple, etc.

BACK:
- His right wing tips of the top-ish feathers have changed drastically. I didn't do the left side because you can't see it, so it doesn't *really* matter what it looks like, I think. I think I might be getting somewhere with the 'make it look like the front!' comments. Who knows, though.
- Made his hump a little bit smaller. Someone said it looked quite Shaman-y and that's what I like about the pose. If it needs to go *smaller*, we'll see what I can do..
- Little bits like matched the feathers to the new ones, and just a few pixels here and there.

I hope they're better, I hope I've not ruined it. I suppose I'm slightly concerned by the backsprite's feathers. Are there too many? Should they be angled differently? Hmm.

For females, I didn't want an EMORMOUS change, maybe just something quite simple; I didn't want it to be drastic and make you think 'good lord the male is horrific but the female is indeed lovely'. I might add a 3rd feather on the female's staff-like tail, but I'll see what people think.

ANYWAY. Thanks for the feedback and support, people! Any more on the newest versions?

sleet thats lookin good! only thing i noticed was the left foot looks a little flat, might want to round it out and make it look more springy if that makes sense.

Sleet, it's looking great. However, there's one thing. The backsprite consists of three 'wing-parts', right? Like a left-, right- and tailwing. It looks like the tailwing is overlapping the right wing, but in that case the right wing should have some shadow on it. Like this it is a bit confusing which of the wings is overlapping which.

You got this Sleet. And I would like to suggest to not have any gender difference this time in the sprites. All of our CAPs have had some sort of gender alterations, and I don't think it's necessary for this CAP. Besides, most Pokemons doesn't even have gender differences.

@Mektar: The extended leg looks like it's twisted. Maybe it'll look different when the shading is done, but making the base of the leg by the feathers thicker would help.

@Sleet: There's one feather on our right wing that's really square in shape, even though the rest of the feathers on your sprite are either pointed or slightly rounded.

I did the shading, turned the head a bit, and made it a tiny bit taller.

New version of griffmon. Now with actual flying pose! This one also feel less compressed into a tiny area. I've already had some feedback on the tail and eyes. I'm beginning to wonder if the colours might be a mite too light. Comments highly appreciated!

Edit: Tail's been shifted back a bit and eye enlarged.

something that helped me when I was trying to draw some sprites was to look at some meowth sprites, same basic body with big bear arms and then draw the feathers around it.

@Mektar: The extended leg looks like it's twisted. Maybe it'll look different when the shading is done, but making the base of the leg by the feathers thicker would help.
The shading IS done. It's a pixel-over of his original art, and that leg in the art has almost no shading.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I like this sprite. Probably my own personal favorite for now. However, there's still a few things to do to make it look more concurrent between the front and back poses. Here's a list of ideas that you might want to try tinkering with to see if you can shore up some of the differences.

• The bottom, white quills/feathers of the back sprite are much thinner than of the front sprite at the bottom of the design. You have the proportions right on the top vertical half, and the very, very bottom is justifiable, but the middle of the pattern of the back sprite is fairly thin compared to the front's pattern. Try to get rid of a few feathers and making each feather progressively wider as the pattern moves left to right (on the right wing of the back sprite, of course).
  • Along with this notion, the wingspan of the back sprite seems shorter than that of the front sprite. This is probably because the back sprite currently doesn't look like it is stretching its arms out all the way left to right, like the front sprite currently does. See if you can extend the wingspan slightly more. If it doesn't look as good as the original, that's fine too. At this point, though, you should be shooting to match the front sprite and the back sprite.
  • I feel as though the outline behind the legs of the front sprite (I suppose the thighs of it) is a little bit too dark/thick compared to the rest of the design. Try thinning that out a bit so it doesn't unnecessarily stand out.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Ok... made colors lighter, tilted head up a bit and changed the ear feather things

Comments?
suntt123 - one thing I like about the original art is that the claws on the wings/arms were as big as the ones on the feet. yours are kinda small for my tastes. other than that the pose is my favorite so far.
Do you mean the hands or feet?
EDIT:

Fixed em hands

The shading IS done. It's a pixel-over of his original art, and that leg in the art has almost no shading.
That's not really a valid excuse. Sprites absolutely need shading just to match the style used in the games. Concept art doesn't.

Based on irc critique I've made some sizable changes to this. Instead of being a Togekiss like pose it's more of an eagle pose. Alterations to colour and shading were also made. The shading around the mouth is changed to make it more prominent. The outer wing has a much smoother outline and angled slightly more to bring it in line with the other. Shades darkened so it it feels correct on all types of background both dark and light. I still think some improvements can be made here and there in the outline but I've got to stop fiddling with it for a while.

Based on irc critique I've made some sizable changes to this. Instead of being a Togekiss like pose it's more of an eagle pose. Alterations to colour and shading were also made. The shading around the mouth is changed to make it more prominent. The outer wing has a much smoother outline and angled slightly more to bring it in line with the other. Shades darkened so it it feels correct on all types of background both dark and light. I still think some improvements can be made here and there in the outline but I've got to stop fiddling with it for a while.
I like this one much better than both your other versions, looks nice. I would have to say the only significant thing I would change at this point is the arrangement of the tail... as it currently is it's sort of obscured and out of sight, and if I didn't know the design I migh think it was a hand or something. If I could make a suggestion, the tail could be curving backwards and end behind the head in the little crook of negative space between the head and right (my right his left) wing. Plenty of room for it there IMO.

(also you're up for reffing in the tag match with me, Nyx, rewindman, and shadoo. :D' Just thought I'd throw that out there... whenever you have time~)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)