Team Preview to be enabled at all VGC stops

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the full ruleset finally out for public viewing, team preview has been confirmed to be turned on in the upcoming VGC.

Originally, VGC 2011 style battles were played assuming team preview would be on, like it is for most other battle modes. However, after hearing some testimony confirming it would be off in the Battle Competition by default, followed by a statement from Mike Liesik saying the decision to turn it on or off was up to him, we decided to turn it off on the simulator ladders, pending confirmation from TPCi either way. It has since been turned back on for the Skarmbliss ladder and for all future tournaments.

One major, incontrovertible plus to having team preview on is that it makes it much simpler to host genuine VGC battles on the cartridges independent of the actual tournament. Wifi battles cannot be held without team preview at all, and IR battles are level 50 all, which ruins some sets such as lv. 1 Endeavor Whimsicott.

Reactions to playing with team preview have been mixed. Some dislike team preview because it destroys the lead metagame, others praise it because it reduces the luck factor from lead matchups.

Anyway, please discuss.

Overall, while this is a disruptive change, I think it is a very good one.

VGC matches last so few turns already, and if you get blind-sided by poorly mismatched leads, you're already at a major disadvantage. Any mitigation of luck in the VGC is fine by me.

This could decrease the use of fighting types, and increase the use of ghost types by utilizing immunities. Also, zoroark will be used on 0 teams.

Also, zoroark will be used on 0 teams.
While it may take up a spot on your team, having Zoroark forces your opponent to think about possibilities that he/she wouldn't normally have to consider - especially players in the early rounds that aren't as used to the standard VGC metagame.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't be surprised if some people put Zoroark on their team but never actually use it, just for the psychological factor.

Also, having Team Preview means that there's some actual strategy involved in choosing your four mons every battle. I approve of this change.

As much as I liked not having team preview, I do also like having it. It makes you have the upper hand if you can analyze a team well and figure out what type of team the 4 will be based off the 6 shown. I can usually spot a TR team or a sunny day team etc from the team preview and can plan accordingly. I think that this change will make good stuff teams a lot better.

That means Team preview is actually good for Zoroark? I do the same for single battles, but yeah those metagames are largely different

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That means Team preview is actually good for Zoroark? I do the same for single battles, but yeah those metagames are largely different
It's not good so much as different. In terms of actually using it, not having Team Preview is probably better, because it's uncommon enough that most people won't expect it. But if they know it's on your team, then you can play mind games that would otherwise be impossible.

not really as they can see zoroak on team preview. so they kno your either trying to strike paranoia or your actually intent on using zoroak which take a perfectly fine slot which could've been used for a better pkmn.

However, I've seen numerous instances where people have seen Zoroark, and started Mach Punching a chandelure, so that seed of doubt could potentially give you a huge advantage. Moreso in the actual VGC where it is Bo1, that one mach punch could lead to you pulling off a kill, and taking an early advantage, which is very beneficial

At first I really hated the change, because I had played without preview for some months :p
But I think, that it is a good thing for better players, since you can easily play around gimmicks, see the incomming threat of trick room, can guess about tail wind and so on.
Imprison Chandelure has it's shining team, giving TR teams no set-up, pokemon with a middle speed, like Hydreigon can be an effective way of dealing with the slow tr pokemon, after TR was sealed.
Against Tailwind you could probably TR yourself to get the speed advantage etc.
About the Zoroak thing: I don't think it's worth the slot. It would only work against good players and a good player wouldn't Mach Punch a Chandelure, just because he has seen a Zoroak on the preview.

yea i the bring 6 use 4 now has meaning. also instead of wasting a slot on zoroak ppl can use these slots to gain upper hand when it comes to battling tw and tr. i also think that there might be a rise in imprison chandelure as having trick room stops tw teams and having imprison messes w/ trick room itself,

yeah now everyone just techs in a random imprison tr chandelure if their team isnt build properly to gain the upper hand in the speed war, I dont see where's the team building skill in this

breh

強いだね
/: Now I need 2 more pokes.
Pretty much my philosophy. Although team preview makes it far easier for success, it's still a bit of a pain to have to train more pokes.

(I knew taking a hiatus until rules solidified was a good idea!)

yeah now everyone just techs in a random imprison tr chandelure if their team isnt build properly to gain the upper hand in the speed war, I dont see where's the team building skill in this
pretty much, but it was gonna be part of my lead anyway, so team preview helps me so much now. i dnt always have to lead chandelure w/o knowledge of a tr team or not, making me sub him out a battle i know trick room won't be apart in it.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
At first I hated Team Preview, but now I'm loving it. Beat Up Whimsicott and Terakion always was a bitch to my team, and I couldn't do anything without changing my team completely. Now that team preview is in effect, I can just run a Meinshao in reserve just to beat it. Also, I find that the game is more strategic now, having to predict what your opponent is going to bring based on what you have based on what you have brings a whole new level of strategy to the game.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Though this certainly makes it easier, I still don't like it as much. It takes a lot of emphasis away from building a successful team and has made it into more of a "pick 6 Pokemon that cover your weaknesses well" sort of game. Before, when you had a bad matchup, it was because you didn't cover all of your bases while you were building your team. Now, it's pretty much "fuck I'm weak to this, let's use this as a tech."

But for the simple fact that practice is now viable via WiFi instead of PO... yay.

Though this certainly makes it easier, I still don't like it as much. It takes a lot of emphasis away from building a successful team and has made it into more of a "pick 6 Pokemon that cover your weaknesses well" sort of game. Before, when you had a bad matchup, it was because you didn't cover all of your bases while you were building your team. Now, it's pretty much "fuck I'm weak to this, let's use this as a tech."

But for the simple fact that practice is now viable via WiFi instead of PO... yay.
amen

you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar

If you built a good team to begin with it doesn't matter what your opponent sees and what they throw at you, atleast it shouldn't anyways.

Yeah what Huy said really. I've never been a fan of team preview so I was excited to play some sort of gen 5 without it, and now this happens...ugh.

I'm perfectly fine with the team preview feature this year. If you build your team right, and have either a deceiving extra 2 or 2 other pokemon you can actually use, then I don't see a problem. I do like the idea of throwing a zoroark in my 6, I wouldn't use him of course, but team preview is definitely a great advantage for anyone whether they are using a zoaroark or not. Basically, the only way you could not benefit from this, is randomly getting beat by someone who successfully predicted and countered your team. I think it'd be pretty funny to have your extra two pokemon be at like level 48 or something like that, just to make your opponent think you're bad, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)