NU Discussion Thread [Ancient]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fire - Magmortar, Emboar, Torkoal, Rapidash, Flareon, Magcargo, Combusken
Emboar and Magmortar get a chance to shine in this tier.

Emboar: 110/123/65/100/65/65
Combusken: 60/85/60/85/60/55

Both are Fire/Fighting types that can be very threatening.

Both can pull off mixed sets.

Both are neutral to Stealth Rocks.

The one thing that kinda pisses me off is that Combusken will outshine Emboar completely. Why you ask? Speed Boost + Protect + Swords Dance + Fighting Move + Fire Move + Eviolite

With Eviolite Combusken has slightly more bulk. With Swords Dance + Protect + Speed Boost its able to instantly become a huge threat. After one Speed Boost its faster than Emboar and Rapidash (fastest fire type in the NU tier as it stands currently).

So unless Combusken becomes banned, the mixed wall breaking revenge killer Emboar will once again be outshined.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
But Combusken still has bad offenses, and when will it get off the Swords Dance?
Just because it carries an Eviolite doesn't mean it'll be bulky either.
Personally I'm going to aim for ragequits with Aqua Ring + Ingrain Smeargle pass to Tropius, as it should work even better with less attackers and no weather.

I could see crawdaunt being decent in nu with his dream world ability adaptability boosting his two solid STABs. With access to dd I can see him playing a role as a boosting sweeper with quite a bit of power. Especially since he can outspeed archeops who seems to be one of the premier threats in nu after only 1 dd. He also has access to swords dance but I think dragon dance is a better option due to his low speed and poor defensive stats.

This would probably be a good set for it:

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Emboar and Magmortar get a chance to shine in this tier.

Emboar: 110/123/65/100/65/65
Combusken: 60/85/60/85/60/55

Both are Fire/Fighting types that can be very threatening.

Both can pull off mixed sets.

Both are neutral to Stealth Rocks.

The one thing that kinda pisses me off is that Combusken will outshine Emboar completely. Why you ask? Speed Boost + Protect + Swords Dance + Fighting Move + Fire Move + Eviolite

With Eviolite Combusken has slightly more bulk. With Swords Dance + Protect + Speed Boost its able to instantly become a huge threat. After one Speed Boost its faster than Emboar and Rapidash (fastest fire type in the NU tier as it stands currently).

So unless Combusken becomes banned, the mixed wall breaking revenge killer Emboar will once again be outshined.
In all honesty, most evolite pokes kinda suck... combusken however, with speed boost can get off some boosts... however I think a sash+SD would work better, as theres not as much Priority in NU as in other Tiers.

Combusken's most powerful fighting moves are Sky Uppercut, Focus Punch, and Focus Blast. One has 85 power, one has a nasty added effect, and one's a special attack. Also, since both of them would probably be using flare blitz as their main fire stab, Emboar probably has the edge with base 110 HP as opposed to Combusken's 60.

Is the power creep really bad this gen or is it just me? Some of the stuff being left in NU would've made OU last gen. Shell Smash Huntail is NU? Harvest Tropius, Archeops, Adaptability Crawdaunt... Wobbuffet and Smeargle lol. Is Ninjask in here? There are some huge threats in NU.

I can actually say this without being hated on by xephyr.

You actually have to watch out for Emboar. He is actually a threat. ZOMG I know what tier I'll be playing from now on.

I am so happy man. So very happy.

He is still a revenge killer/mixed wall breaker and not a sweeper at all, but I can still use him and actually climb up the ranks in the tier when NU is eventually released. Being my favorite pokemon and all this makes me very happy.

And after being completely wrong about Combusken, and after looking at every other fire pokemon in the tier, Emboar is useful as hell. Nuetral to SR, Decent Bulk, Amazing STAB moves, Fire/Fighting/Ground/Electric coverage, makes me a very happy camper.

Even better when Reckless is released too.

Choice Band Emboar Revenge Killer here I come. Makes me want August to come faster.

Reckless (and other 5 gen abilities) WILL ONLY BE RELEASED AFTER THE NEXT GAME COMES OUT CUZ THERE ARE NO 5GEN SPRITES IN B/W(cuz Game freak is retarded.)
(this excludes events of course)

And ACCELGOR??!?!?!? Oh lord... It has raped half my team every time i've fought it. that evil cuntnugget!!! (I call it Asselgor)

I believe it would just be named "U", for "useless".
LOOOOL. yeah but he makes a point.
NU was only fun in old Gens because all the Shit in NU was there for a reason- NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD USE THEM (hence, NU) Thats what RU is for, yet it hasen't been largened enough.

I agree that we might need more tiers below NU. However, I'd rather call the tier directly below NU NEU (Never Ever Used, with pokes like Ampharos and Camerupt) and make another tier below it called something like HC for "Horrible Cup" (where stuff like Delibird and Delcatty would go) or something, though the proposed names are just my personal preference. Seriously, last gen NU consisted of three-fifths of all fully evolved pokemon and it's easy to tell that a good amount of last gen's NU pokes weren't even viable in NU (*cough*Delibird*cough*), and NU would still cover too many pokemon if tiers aren't created below it. Unfortunately, I find it unlikely that Smogon would actually create such tiers because it's likely that there might not be enough players to justify creating two new official tiers. At the very least, we should make NU an official tier (with suspect tests and all) this generation.

I have a feeling that if you go below NU (or maybe NU too), the tier is going to be filled with Eviolite NFEs, unless the item gets banned.

Unfortunately I think NU is as low as it's going to go. Anything more and we'd probably be spreading ourselves too thin. There are just too many Pokemon to consider now, especially with Eviolite existing.

Eviolite does make it more complicated, I agree.

Oh well. It goes to show just how efficient a pokemon has to be in their stats, typing, and moves this generation

I can't believe no one has mentioned Slowking yet. I use Slowking in OU, and it can take hits like a champ. The set I run on a Sun team is damn hard to kill. I think Slowking is going to be a gigantic wall in NU this gen.

It certainly was last gen. Regirock + Slowking was cited to be one of the most unbreakable defensive cores in NU, and for good reason. It returns this gen, but there's also a much higher offensive presence so it might not be as unbalanced as before.

NU in DPP with CurseRock + Slowking (even Mantine) playing in sand... Completely unbalanced.
This gen has neither Snow Warning nor Sand Stream , but RD teams can be destroyers too.

I agree that we might need more tiers below NU. However, I'd rather call the tier directly below NU NEU (Never Ever Used, with pokes like Ampharos and Camerupt) and make another tier below it called something like HC for "Horrible Cup" (where stuff like Delibird and Delcatty would go) or something, though the proposed names are just my personal preference. Seriously, last gen NU consisted of three-fifths of all fully evolved pokemon and it's easy to tell that a good amount of last gen's NU pokes weren't even viable in NU (*cough*Delibird*cough*), and NU would still cover too many pokemon if tiers aren't created below it. Unfortunately, I find it unlikely that Smogon would actually create such tiers because it's likely that there might not be enough players to justify creating two new official tiers. At the very least, we should make NU an official tier (with suspect tests and all) this generation.
XDD HORRIBLE CUP!!! Yeah I honnestly think thats viable. that would be such a good metagame lol.
And yeahh, I hate that awesome stuff that kicks total ass in OU is just not used as much in OU as other shit (say, the ridiculously overrated ferrothorn), and has been pushed down to NU to KILL US ALL IN THE FACE!!!

XDD HORRIBLE CUP!!! Yeah I honnestly think thats viable. that would be such a good metagame lol.
And yeahh, I hate that awesome stuff that kicks total ass in OU is just not used as much in OU as other shit (say, the ridiculously overrated ferrothorn), and has been pushed down to NU to KILL US ALL IN THE FACE!!!
Ferrothorn? Overrated? Clearly you're not the most well-versed battler.

Anyway, I feel like if we continue to make tiers below NU, it'll still be a while before things like Delibird can ever be used. Eviolite Pokes will be the common stuff, and we'd have to make like 10 tiers before Delibird becomes viable at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)