Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, C&C edition

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This was approved by Great Sage

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

If you're new to C&C, this is probably the best place to start asking questions, instead of posting clueless threads which will be locked, and it also prevents you being issued with a warning. If you have access to an IRC client such as mibbit or Chatzilla (for Firefox), it's a good idea to visit #C&C for some real time help, and there are always active contributors at the ready to answer your questions.

This thread is to give users a place to ask questions about C&C, ask for help with their analyses, and to give newer users a general idea of how things work. I'd like to encourage contributors and ladybug holders to answer queries as it is part of the 'job' description to encourage other users to contribute. We always appreciate help from users, even if they're less experienced than ourselves, and this thread aims to encourage helpful posting and promote more experienced users. Who knows, it may earn you a shiny new badge one day.

1) Please keep the uneccessary posting to a minimum, as this is a simple question thread. If you would like somebody to write your analyses, or if you'd like to take over an analysis that's inactive, by all means request it, but please take the conversation to VM or PM messaging afterwards. If you consistantly spam this thread with unhelpful information, you may be issued with a warning.

2) Please quote the request you're replying to, as this saves confusion, and makes it a lot easier to manage transactions and queries. If you're going to simply VM or PM a user, there is no need to post here. Posts such as 'replied to the above' are pretty pointless, and needlessly raise your post count.

3) Please read the following C&C guideline threads/announcements before posting, as there's a good chance you'll find an answer here:

4) This is NOT a thread to request GP checks or QC checks. Please contact GP / QC members if you'd like them to check your analysis, or request that your thread is added to the GP queue.

Thank you.

Question about 5th Generation Breeding

Okay, so I'm wanting to become a pokemon breeder and collector, trading bred pokemon for any that I need or am missing. I basically want to know anything and everything about breeding that I can. I've already read the breeding guide that Sprocket has written, but there was one thing that I was curious about:

Power items force the appropriate IV of the parent to be passed down. The remaining two IVs are picked at random. If both parents wear a power item, then only one parent's appropriate IV will be passed down, and the other parent's appropriate IV will NOT be passed down (IE: if you have a male wearing a Power Bracer and a female wearing a Power Anklet, you have a 50% chance of passing down the male's Attack IV and NOT the female's Speed IV, and a 50% chance of passing down the female's Speed IV and NOT the male's Attack IV).

With one parent wearing a Power item, mathematically you have these probabilities:

• 1 in 6.25 chance of passing down any 2 remaining desired IVs.
  • 1 in 25 chance of passing down any 2 remaining desired IVs from the same parent.
My question is if both of the parents are wearing Power Items like this, say take the above example of Power Bracer and Power Anklet, then what would the stat that wasn't passed down be?

One of the two possibilities should be the Male's Attack IV and not the Female's Speed IV. But if it's not taking the Female's Speed IV does the Child's Speed IV become a randomized number, or does it revert to the Father's Speed IV? Meaning if you had both parents holding Power Items like this would it have the Father's Attack and Speed IVs?

Also, if not and the IV not passed down becomes random, then what would be the point of giving both parents Power Items? If they both have power items then it lowers the chances of your pokemon getting more than one of the desired IVs, so it seems rather unintuitive. Wouldn't it be more productive to have one parent hold a power item and the other to use an Everstone to attempt to pass down their Nature?

Sorry if the question is already answered somewhere, but I wasn't exactly sure where to look or put this. I tried to find a question/answer forum, but I didn't see one hence putting it here.

EDIT: Sorry that I posted in the wrong place, I guess? Not really sure what happened there. V_V;;;;

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Cool idea Komodo!

OMy question is if both of the parents are wearing Power Items like this, say take the above example of Power Bracer and Power Anklet, then what would the stat that wasn't passed down be?
I'm not sure that this is the correct place to ask. C&C deals with competitive battling and teambuilding, and many of us (such as myself) are unfamiliar with ingame mechanics, such as breeding and training.

I'm fairly certain that the Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer thread over in DragonSpiral Tower is the best place to ask. Check out the subforums as well, such as VCG and Wi-Fi.

Oh, and welcome to Smogon!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In a pokemon set, NOT THE SET DESCRIPTION, should evs and ivs be capitalized?

For example, evs 252 HP/252 def/4 spe OR EVs 252 HP/252 def/4 spe

Also, in general, should pokemon be described as "its" or "he/shes"

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In a pokemon set, NOT THE SET DESCRIPTION, should evs and ivs be capitalized?

For example, evs 252 HP/252 def/4 spe OR EVs 252 HP/252 def/4 spe

Also, in general, should pokemon be described as "its" or "he/shes"
"evs" is the correct way to do it, as shown here.

To be honest, in my opinion, it is far easier to just use "its" for everything and not worry about it. However, it's acceptable to use a gender specific pronoun for a Pokemon that has only one gender, for example, using "she" for Blissey. It doesn't really matter though, as long as you are consistent throughout. The whole reason for rules on which pronouns and stuff like that is to maintain consistency.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also, though this matters less, you can check the onsite analysis for these Pokemon and look at what pronoun that analysis uses. That way it can be consistent for all the tiers.

I'm having a horridly hard time finding a list of banned move combos and abilities. If such a page exists that has a COMPLETE list please tell me

What is the proper tag for a list of damage calculations, like this for example:
Drain Punch vs. 248/0 Scizor: 62.1-73.47%
Drain Punch vs. 236/252+ Breloom: 55.6-65.6%
Drain Punch vs. 252/0 Conkeldurr: 54.95-64.85%
Drain Punch vs. 252/4 Ferrothorn: 96.31-113.35% (75% to OHKO)

EDIT:
Also, how should I go about working the list into AC?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is the proper tag for a list of damage calculations, like this for example:
Drain Punch vs. 248/0 Scizor: 62.1-73.47%
Drain Punch vs. 236/252+ Breloom: 55.6-65.6%
Drain Punch vs. 252/0 Conkeldurr: 54.95-64.85%
Drain Punch vs. 252/4 Ferrothorn: 96.31-113.35% (75% to OHKO)

EDIT:
Also, how should I go about working the list into AC?
It's like this:

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Close Combat vs. 252/252+ Skarmory 84.4% - 99.7%</li>
</ul>

(+ for positive nature, nothing for neutral. HP EVs first, the defensive EVs second)

and nothing else. Quite simple. Just add a new line for additional calcs. It will show up like this on site:

Close Combat vs. 252/252+ Skarmory 84.4% - 99.7%

EDIT: Oh yeah, ninja'd by someone who can't follow instructions. Way to go there Lemolame. >:(

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Do you need to post a skeleton for an update, or do you just go straight in and write the whole analysis?

EDIT: @ Fatecrashers, thanks!

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
post a skeleton detailing what you intend to change and update first, updates have to go through quality control again

Alright, I really want to contribute to smogon and its development, but I don't know where to start on the C&C section. I can contribute analyses, but I'm not sure of the procedure (even though I've read all the rules), and which analyses to start with. Some guidance will be appreciated!

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I really want to contribute to smogon and its development, but I don't know where to start on the C&C section. I can contribute analyses, but I'm not sure of the procedure (even though I've read all the rules), and which analyses to start with. Some guidance will be appreciated!
Welcome to C&C!

Komodo said:
3) Please read the following C&C guideline threads/announcements before posting, as there's a good chance you'll find an answer here:

You've probably read all those links already, but just pointing out that before writing an analysis, one should (read: must) read them. The first one helps you avoid some simple mistakes while writing analyses by following Smogon conventions. The format for analyses is in the second one.

The procedure is found in the General Information announcement. You don't always have to write analyses or articles to contribute though! Finding errors on on-site analyses and articles and posting them in the Small Objective Changes thread helps too.

The procedure for writing an analysis is roughly:

1. Post in the relevant index thread in the subforum to reserve a Pokemon analysis.
  2. Post a skeleton with the (Quality Control) prefix and the analysis will go through Quality Control for the QC team to approve. (make sure the format is right too!) A (QC x/3) with x as the number of approval(s) in the title is needed as well.
  3. After receiving 3 QC stamps of approval, you may proceed to write up the analysis and change the prefix to (Copyediting) with (GP 0/2) as suffix. Note that you should (read: have to) change the prefix to (Copyediting) after receiving 3 QC stamps, but just leave the (QC 3/3) in the title to show that it's not written yet. Post in the GP Team Queue to ask for GP checks.
  4. After implementing 2 official GP checks, the analysis is (Done) and ready to upload! However, the GP team members might occasionally ask for additional GP checks if there are too many errors.
This is roughly the procedure to writing an analysis. Currently there aren't many analyses up for grabs but RU and NU have more available analyses to reserve right now. It's not recommended to write analyses for tiers you don't play in though. Also, it's possible to ask to take over inactive analyses or those that are not completed but moved to L&O due to inactivity. That's how I wrote my analysis anyway~

Hope this helps! ^_^

Edit: @below np :)
Also, I forgot to say... remember to post in the index thread when the skeleton is up with the link and also when it's written and after it's done.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Whatever you enjoy doing and can pump the most amount of work. GP checks are typically the easiest to earn a contributor, particularly when you combine it with helping out with projects like the Items project. Otherwise it takes a good number of analyses (about 15-20 typically depending on quality) to get a contributor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)