Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
To be honest, I was surprised Mirror Move copied Aeroblast. I thought it would copy Psystrike, unless I'm remembering its effect wrong.
Yeah, I'm a bit confused about this too.

"The user immediately uses the last move that the opponent used to target the user. It will fail if the target did not select a move in the turn prior to this one, or if the target switches out, or if the last move used by the target was Mirror Move. If used when the target is charging for a two-turn attack, then Mirror Move will copy the move used directly before that move."

Maybe it's because of Prankster ?

Well, Sap Sipper Sawsbuck checks it. Though I doubt much else does...
Sawsbuck would die to Hurricane though, so it's still not much of a safe switch-in.

I'm thinking of putting together some sort of Smogdex for Stabmons to complement the regular OU Dex. I'm primarily focusing on lower tier mons that are now viable in OU and OU mons that changed significantly (e.g. Roost/Brave Bird Gyarados & Transform Blissey) and not quite on OU mons that got a small boost but are still played exactly the same (e.g. Forretress who now gets Heal Order and U-Turn).

This should make it easier for people to build teams and to have some kind of threat list, so if anyone wants to help be free.

I already made 2 example entries (I started alphabetically) so you can see what I'm going for and can add some suggestions already. As you will see I already covered a lot of these 2 mons but for the next ones I would like some cooperation if you guys like the idea.

I didnt quite finish the counter/check section of Azumarill so if anyone can add some stuff that'd be great.

Physical Attackers:
Aerodactyl

Ability: Rock Head
Moveset 1: Choice Band
- Brave Bird
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang/Ice Fang

Moveset 2: Hone Claws @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
- Brave Bird
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws

Aerodactyl is finally ready to shine, after being bullied by Game Freak in giving it a practically useless ability and no decent Flying move StabMons turns things around for it.
Rock Head is now an invaluable asset to Aerodactyl as the Stabgod himself gave it Brave Bird AND Head Smash. That's a 120 BP and a 150 BP STAB move for the prehistorical ptero. Not only that but Flying and Rock have excellent coverage with his 3rd move: Earthquake hitting every type for atleast normal damage. A speed stat of 130 screams for a Choice Band, although one could prefer Life Orb to be able to switch moves.

The 4th move will be hardly used due to the high base power of his STAB moves and the good coverage they provide with Earthquake. You'll actually need a 4x weakness before it can do better damage than Head Smash or Brave Bird. Fire Fang is the best option vs Scizor, Ferrothorn & Forretress although these 3 will take a LOT from CB Brave Bird or Head Smash anyway (2HKO atleast). Bronzong is the most notable enemy to a set without Fire Fang. Aqua Tail's only purpose is to hit Ground/Rock mons harder like Rhyperior and Ice Fang is the best option for things 4x weak to Ice like Garchomp, Gliscor & Landorus but these mons will in most cases take a lot from Brave Bird or Head Smash anyway.

The Life Orb set trades some power for the ability to use something in the 4th moveslot: Taunt, Hone Claws, Stealth Rock, Substitute or Roost are options that come to mind. But with Aerodactyl's new found toys in Stabmonz Hone Claws is probably the best choice; after one Hone Claws boost Head Smash gets perfect accuracy and Aerodactyl now has an Attack stat as if it would have a Choice Band.

Another option is to run a Focus Sash with Hone Claws. With Aerodactyl's dazzling speed, recoil negation and immunity to Spikes and Sandstorm damage it can set up a Hone Claws if no SR are up and initiate a sweep. The Focus Sash can also serve to live a Scarf/Priority move.

Calcs vs Aerodactyl Counters:
Aerodactyl setup: Choice Band (or 1 Hone Claws boost), 252 Attack EVs, Speed boosting nature.
Brave Bird vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Hippowdon: 39-47%
Head Smash vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Forretress: 51-61%
Fire Fang vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Bronzong: 35-43%
Brave Bird vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Donphan: 41-49%
Earthquake vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Registeel: 42-50%
Aqua Tail vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Rhyperior (Solid Rock): 53-63%
Earthquake vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Rhyperior (Solid Rock): 29-35%

As you can see even the best Aerodactyl counters are nearing the 2HKO mark. Only priority and scarfers can safely stop it. Only Bronzong is a reliable switch-in, as it can come in on any move, doesnt mind hazards and can OHKO with Gyro Ball. Although after doing so Bronzong will be in a very low health range and a burn or flinch from Fire Fang can mess up it's day.

If Aerodactyl is running an attack boosting nature things get scarier for it’s defensive checks, but it will miss out on outspeeding some things notably: Timid Alakazam, Starmie and Raikou, +1 Metagross and Scizor & Scarf Politoed and Magnezone. Also it shares the same speed stat with Jolteon, so a speed tie can be avoided by running a speed boosting nature.

Checks & Counters:
Bronzong is the best defensive counter to it, along with Rhyperior (if Aerodactyl doesn’t run Aqua Tail) but the latter is hardly seen in the meta, while Bronzong can OHKO with Gyro Ball. Due to it’s frailty a lot of attacks can revenge kill it but because of priority moves’ low base power they will need some prior damage as they wont OHKO, unless they come from powerhouses like CB Azumarill or CB Scizor. For example a LO Weavile’s Ice Shard will not OHKO and only has a small chance to do so after SR. Revenge killing it with a Scarfer is your best bet and putting up SR can prevent it from switching in and out again to put dents in your team.

Azumarill

Ability: Huge Power
Moveset 1: Belly Drum @ Sitrus Berry/Mystic Water/Life Orb
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower/Ice Punch

Moveset 2: Shell Smash @ White Herb/Life Orb
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- ExtremeSpeed/Ice Punch
- Superpower

Moveset 3: Choice Band
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall/Crabhammer
- Extremespeed
- Superpower/Ice Punch

Azumarill has been spotted in regular OU as a guest performer with it's Choice Band equipped but with his newly attained pre-evo STAB moves he now gets access to 2 boosting moves and in an extra priority move. Don't let it's 50 base Attack stat fool you because when considering Huge Power, it actually has an Attacking stat of 436 which is the about the same as base 150 mons like Zekrom (yes that's right).

What has drawn itself back from being an OU poke is it's poor speed and it's lack of coverage. These flaws can now be overcome as 1 Shell Smash boosts it's Speed to 400ish making it faster than Jolteon while in the meantime boosting that Attack stat even further so care less about a lack of perfect coverage. Belly Drum Sets are still as slow as a snail and will therefore have to rely on a combination of Aqua Jet & Extremespeed. Shell Smash sets can forego the priority moves and rely on more powerful equivalents to compensate the lesser Attack boost. After all Azumarill can live quite some neutral attacks due to it's 100 HP Stat, which is good considering it isn’t weak to any form of priority.

Both boosting sets can take advantage of a move that allows the setup like Lovely Kiss but Azumarill does not like to lose a coverage move.
Life Orb seems weird on a BD set but it allows it to 2HKO Defensive Jellicent. It would also be able to 2HKO Leech Seed+Protect Ferrothorn but will die doing so because of LO recoil + Leech Seed + Iron Barbs. Life Orb also ensures a OHKO on fully defensive Gyarados. Still Sitrus Berry or Mystic Water are better choices. Expert Belt is useless on the BD set as anything that’s weak to a +6 move from Azumarill will die anyway.

As a last option Azumarill’s CB Set got a boost because of Extremespeed. It can perform a great role as revenge killer this way with its 2 powerful priority moves. The other 2 slots are debatable as Azumarill can choose to go for a 2nd, more powerful, STAB attack or go for extra coverage by running both Ice Punch & Superpower. The Banded set will have it’s flaws as it is easily walled by it’s counters as it was before but it does not need a turn to set up and can get rid of things that would otherwise sweep your team.
Last but not least, Azumarill fares even better in rain with boosted Aqua Jets and Waterfalls to go around with.

Calculations vs Counters:
Azumarill Setup: 252 Atk EVs, Attack boosting nature, Huge Power:
+6 Ice Punch vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Jellicent: 44-52%
+ 5 Extremespeed vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Gyarados: 78-92%
+ 1 Extremespeed vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Gyarados: 34-40%

Checks & Counters:
The Shell Smash and Belly Drum sets will have a hard time setting up, especially the latter because of it’s 50% HP loss. Entry hazards can really ruin Azumarill’s day therefore as it can hope to live some attacks due to it’s good HP stat but due to the low defensive stats every HP will count. Azumarill also does not have room for any move allowing it to setup; if using a move like Lovely Kiss it will be stuck with Water/Normal coverage which cannot OHKO a lot of things even at +6.

Regular OU check Jellicent can only be 2HKOed by a +6 Ice Punch after Rocks (and it’s not even a 100% chance) while being immune to all it’s other attacks. The problem for the Jellyfish is that he has to run max defense to do so, otherwise he will get 2HKOed for sure. A burn from WoW or Scald is a perfect mousetrap but Jellicent only has 1 shot to do so. Though the other sets are still easily walled by mr. Pringles.

Defensive Gyarados variants can counter the Shell Smash and CB sets.
Depending on the lack of coverage Azumarill’s checks grow bigger. If not running superpower Ferrothorn can live a +6 Ice Punch and can live another one if it runs Leech Seed + Protect.

SpartanMalice

Hydreigon's the best wallbreaker so far in this meta. I used Infernape at the start, but it's frailty was a problem, even if it has access to several powerful fire and fighting moves on both sides plus it's extensive movepool. I use Spacial Rend/Night Daze/Superpower/Fire Blast with Life Orb. It's doing decent so far, with the right amount of prediction.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love both DD Kyurem B and Sawsbuck, however it's a pity people started running Vacuum Wave Keldeo to check them

Some of us get together on http://pokecommunity.psim.us/. Harbinger of Peace was organizing times to meet before everything went down. We can start that up again.

I also talked to Joim, who is really busy atm, but is willing to implement it in the Lab. I offered my help as well.
What numbskull would use a Ground move on Tornadus tho? On the contrary, Heatran is a surefire counter to this as it can take Aeroblasts and doesnt care about Mirror Moving his Fire Attack to him.

It got the surprise factor but once your opponent knows your moveset it's easily played around.
They don't, you come in on the switch.

Some of us get together on http://pokecommunity.psim.us/. Harbinger of Peace was organizing times to meet before everything went down. We can start that up again.

I also talked to Joim, who is really busy atm, but is willing to implement it in the Lab. I offered my help as well.
What numbskull would use a Ground move on Tornadus tho? On the contrary, Heatran is a surefire counter to this as it can take Aeroblasts and doesnt care about Mirror Moving his Fire Attack to him.

It got the surprise factor but once your opponent knows your moveset it's easily played around.
They don't, you come in on the switch.

Also there's literally no reason for Rotom formes to share stab.

The pre-evos do it because any move learned by a pre-evo is learned by a evo by default. Moves don't just spontaneously delete, even if it stops making sense flavour wise(like Togekiss losing its hands and still being able to punch)... Rotom formes however don't gain stab moves until they evolve, so there no logical reason to why Rotom-W would get Spore.

EV

Banned deucer.
I'm thinking of putting together some sort of Smogdex for Stabmons to complement the regular OU Dex. (...)
:] This is awesome! I will help. I'm going camping this weekend and moving on Monday but after that I'll have free time.

Aerodactyl

Ability: Rock Head
Moveset 1: Choice Band
- Brave Bird
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang/Ice Fang

Moveset 2: Hone Claws @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
- Brave Bird
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws

Aerodactyl is finally ready to shine, after being bullied by Game Freak in giving it a practically useless ability and no decent Flying moves. StabMons STABmons can now turns things around for it.
Rock Head is now an invaluable asset to Aerodactyl as the Stab-God himself gave gives it Brave Bird AND Head Smash. That's a 120 BP and a 150 BP STAB move for the prehistorical Pterodactyl. Not only that, but Flying and Rock have excellent coverage with his 3rd move: Earthquake. This hitting hits every type for at least normal damage. A speed stat of 130 screams for a Choice Band, although one could prefer Life Orb to be able to switch moves.

The 4th move will be hardly used due to the high base power of his STAB moves and the good coverage they provide with Earthquake. You'll actually need a 4x weakness before it can do better damage hit harder than Head Smash or Brave Bird. Fire Fang is the best option vs for Scizor, Ferrothorn & Forretress. although these 3 will take a LOT from CB Brave Bird or Head Smash anyway (2HKO atleast). Bronzong is the most notable enemy to a set without Fire Fang. Aqua Tail's only purpose is to hit Ground/Rock mons Pokemon harder. like Rhyperior and On the same note, Ice Fang is the best option for things Pokemon 4x weak to Ice, like such as Garchomp, Gliscor & Landorus. but these mons will in most cases take a lot from Brave Bird or Head Smash anyway.

The Life Orb set trades some power for the ability to use something in take advantage of the 4th moveslot: Taunt, Hone Claws, Stealth Rock, Substitute or and Roost are all viable options. that come to mind. But However, with Aerodactyl's new found toys in Stabmonz STABmons, Hone Claws is probably considered the best choice; after one Hone Claws boost, Head Smash gets recieves perfect accuracy and Aerodactyl now has an Attack stat as if it would have a with a power similar to its notorious Choice Band set.

Another option is to run a Focus Sash with Hone Claws. With Aerodactyl's dazzling speed, recoil negation and immunity to Spikes and Sandstorm damage means that it can set up a Hone Claws if no SR are up and initiate a sweep. The Focus Sash can also serve to live survive a Scarf/Priority move.

Calcs vs Aerodactyl Counters:
Aerodactyl setup: Choice Band (or 1 Hone Claws boost), 252 Attack EVs, Speed boosting nature.
Brave Bird vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Hippowdon: 39-47%
Head Smash vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Forretress: 51-61%
Fire Fang vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Bronzong: 35-43%
Brave Bird vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Donphan: 41-49%
Earthquake vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Registeel: 42-50%
Aqua Tail vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Rhyperior (Solid Rock): 53-63%
Earthquake vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Rhyperior (Solid Rock): 29-35%

As you can see even the best Aerodactyl counters are nearing the 2HKO mark. Only priority and scarfers can safely stop it. Only Bronzong is a reliable switch-in, as it can come in on any move , doesnt mind hazards and can OHKO with Gyro Ball. Although However after doing so, Bronzong will be in at a very low health range and a burn or flinch from Fire Fang can has the potential to mess up it's its day.

If Aerodactyl is running an attack-boosting nature, things get scarier for it can plough through some of it’s its defensive checks,. However, but it will miss out on outspeeding some things notably notable Pokemon: Timid Alakazam, Starmie and, Raikou, +1 Metagross and, Scizor, Scarf Politoed and Magnezone. Also, it shares the same speed stat with Jolteon,; so a speed tie can be avoided by running a speed boosting nature.

Checks & Counters:
Bronzong is the best defensive counter to it, alongside with Rhyperior (if Aerodactyl doesn’t isn't running Aqua Tail) but the latter is hardly seen in the metagame, while Bronzong can OHKO with Gyro Ball. Due to it’s its frailty, a lot of attacks can revenge kill it. but because Due to the low base power of priority moves, low base power they will need some prior damage as they wont to OHKO, unless they come from powerhouses like such as CB Azumarill or CB and Scizor. For example an Ice Shard from LO Weavile’s Ice Shard will not OHKO and only has a small chance to do so after SR. Revenge killing it with a Scarfer is your best bet and putting up SR can prevent it from switching in and out again to put dents in your team.

Azumarill

Ability: Huge Power
Moveset 1: Belly Drum @ Sitrus Berry/Mystic Water/Life Orb
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower/Ice Punch

Moveset 2: Shell Smash @ White Herb/Life Orb
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- ExtremeSpeed/Ice Punch
- Superpower

Moveset 3: Choice Band
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall/Crabhammer
- Extremespeed
- Superpower/Ice Punch

Azumarill has been spotted in regular is rarely spotted in OU, yet it steels the limelight in the STABmon metagame. as a guest performer with it's Choice Band equipped but With his newly attained pre-evo STAB moves, he now gets gains access to 2 boosting moves and in an extra priority move in Extremespeed. Don't let it's its 50 base Attack stat fool you; because when considering after Huge Power, it actually has an attacking stat of 436. which is the about the same as base 150 mons like Zekrom (yes that's right).

What has drawn itself back from being an OU poke is it's Its weaknesses still exist; poor speed and it's lack of coverage prevent Azumarill from becoming an OU threat. However, in the STABmons metagame, these flaws can now be overcome as 1 a Shell Smash boosts it's its speed to 400ish 398, assuming an Adamant nature. This making it faster than gives it the ability to outspeed Jolteon while in the meantime boosting that Attack stat even further; so care less about a lack of perfect coverage has less significance. Belly Drum sets are still as slow as a snail and will therefore have to rely on a combination of Aqua Jet & Extremespeed. Shell Smash sets can forego the priority moves and rely on more powerful equivalents to compensate the lesser Attack boost. After all, Azumarill can live quite some survive a few neutral attacks due to it's its 100 HP stat, which is good considering it isn’t weak to any form of priority.

Both boosting sets can take advantage of a sleep-inducing move that allows the setup like in Lovely Kiss but Azumarill does not like to lose prefers to maintain a coverage move.
Life Orb seems weird on a BD set but it allows it to 2HKO Defensive Jellicent. It would also be able to 2HKO Leech Seed+Protect Ferrothorn but will die doing so because of LO recoil + Leech Seed + Iron Barbs. Life Orb also ensures a OHKO on fully defensive Gyarados. Still Sitrus Berry or Mystic Water are better choices. Expert Belt is useless on the BD set as anything that’s weak to a +6 move from Azumarill will die anyway.

As a last option Azumarill’s CB Set got gets a boost because of due to Extremespeed. It can perform a great role as a revenge killer this way with its 2 powerful priority moves. The other 2 slots are debatable as Azumarill can choose to go for a 2nd, more powerful, STAB attack or go for extra coverage by running both Ice Punch & Superpower. The banded set will have it’s its flaws; as it is easily walled by it’s its counters as it was before, but it does not need a turn to set up and can get rid of things that would otherwise sweep your team.
Last but not least, Azumarill fares even better in rain with a handy boosted to Aqua Jets and Waterfalls to go around with.

Calculations vs Counters:
Azumarill Setup: 252 Atk EVs, Attack boosting nature, Huge Power:
+6 Ice Punch vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Jellicent: 44-52%
+ 5 Extremespeed vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Gyarados: 78-92%
+ 1 Extremespeed vs 252 HP/252 Def+ Gyarados: 34-40%

Checks & Counters:
The Shell Smash and Belly Drum sets will have a hard time setting up, especially the latter because of it’s its 50% HP loss. Entry hazards can really ruin Azumarill’s day therefore as it can hope to live some attacks due to it’s good HP stat but due to the low defensive stats every HP will count. sweeping potential. Azumarill also does not have room for any move allowing it to setup; if using a move like such as Lovely Kiss it will be stuck with the imperfect coverage of Water/Normal. coverage which cannot OHKO a lot of things even at +6.

Regular OU check Jellicent can only be 2HKOed by a +6 Ice Punch after Rocks (and it’s not even a 100% chance) while being immune to all it’s its other attacks. The problem for the Jellyfish Jellicent is that he it has to run max defense in order to do so, otherwise he will get 2HKOed for sure.. A burn from WoW or Scald is a perfect mousetrap but Jellicent only has 1 shot to do so to do it in. However, Though the other sets are still easily walled by mr. Pringles Jellicent.

Defensive Gyarados variants can counter the Shell Smash and CB sets.
Depending on the lack of coverage, Azumarill’s checks grow bigger. If not running Superpower, Ferrothorn can live survive a +6 Ice Punch, and can live another one if it runs Leech Seed + Protect.

GP Approved 1/2

Dragon Dance Kyurem B with Icicle Crash, anyone? Nothing will wall that shit.

Yanmega could go for a Tinted Lense Quiver Dance set. Ir it could just do it the easy way, with Tail Glow and Speed Boost. :3

EV

Banned deucer.
Well the buck has Belly Drum, STAB ExtremeSpeed, and an usable attack.

I think Jumpluff is outclassed by Whimsicott as a Spore user and Sawsbuck as an attacker. Plus Ice Shard destroys it.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Ok, so I've been thinking about certain things, and I won't go too in depth but here's some things that could potentially hold their own.

List of Candidates

~ Nothing much is new besides the illustrious Quiver Dance. So basically you run the standard Giga Drain, Thunder and Bug Buzzzzz, but then set Quiver Dance and BAM! SPEEDY THREAT!

~ Magic Bounce along with Cosmic Power and then Stored Powerrr! Surprise! Offensive Xatu while avoiding Sleep!

~ Dragon Dance replaces the fourth "coverage" move and creates a great speed and attack boost!

~ I smell a spore scouter. Spore gives you that niche you need, while Giga Drain and Volt Switch are the scout moves and then Will-o-Wisp is for crippling

Just some ideas, let me know if anything proceeds to hold on and thrive.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/joimslab-customgame-5878

A nice replay here showing of Azumarill's Shell Smash set as well as a lot of Chansey Transform shenanigans. I'm using a dual screening Espeon to make setup easier but he cripples that.

Either way as you can see by the various switch opportunities it has Dual Screen Espeon can really shine here with Recover at it's disposal. It helps Setup sweepers to get up a Belly Drum, Shell Smash or Gear Grind. Whatever you like!

SpartanMalice

Espeon in general is better now thanks to reliable recovery, better boosting moves, and hell even sleep, but Magic Bounce does that job anyway.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Dark Void
- Sucker Punch
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick

This is gonna be fun.

SpartanMalice

Yup, that's the one I used. The choice between Sucker Punch/Pursuit is kinda tricky. I went for sucker punch cause that's the easiest way to take care of kazam once it's sash is broken.

Dark Void + 125 Base speed alone makes Weavile a bigger threat than before, but some pokes wall that set unfortunately like Omgness' Jirachi.

for the threatlist:
Yanmega is one of the pokemon to gain the most from this. It gains two setup moves that are amazing on it: Quiver Dance and Tail Glow. Quiver Dance is most useful in conjunction with Tinted Lens as it allows it to run Aeroblast along with Heal Order and either a coverage move or a status move (if Yanmega gets any). With Aeroblast and Tinted Lens, Yanmega gets almost perfect coverage in one move, only missing out on rock/steels and the Magnezone line. With Tail Glow, it is a completely different beast. It prefers the ability speed boost, and a combination of HP Ground, Protect, Bug Buzz and Aeroblast/Hurricane. This allows it to quickly gain speed boosts while setting up with tail glow in order to hit anything verry hard. Yanmega is truly one of the most dangerous threats in this metagame.

Your Tail Glow setup consists of 5 moves because you forgot to add Tail Glow itself. Nevertheless I would drop Protect on the Tail Glow set, it needs a turn to setup Tail Glow anyway after which it gets the +1 boost.

I havent thought about running Heal Order on the Quiver Dance set but I think Roost is better as it loses the Ice and Electric weakness that way while the Flying type only gives it a resistance to Bug as Grass, Ground and Fighting are already resisted by the Bug-typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)