Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read through the whole three but has anyone mentioned mega-pinsir it is really good I sweep with it pretty constantly on showdown with this set
Pinsir@ pinsirite
Moxie/ aerilate
252 attack evs
252 speed evs
4 HP evs
Jolly nature
- swords dance
- quick attack
- earthquake
- close combat
I've really liked using Mega Pinsir, but you always want to use Return / Quick Attack / Earthquake for offense. STAB Aerilate Return does almost twice as much damage as Close Combat without the defense drops and with better coverage, letting it smash through almost everything with ridiculous power. You could use Close Combat if you really want a fourth attack, but I don't think it's worth it over options like Swords Dance or Substitute.

I see Lucario and Gengar most as megas, and to a lesser extent Blaziken and Garchomp. They might be the most viable at the moment.

I'm having a lot of fun with M-Absol recently. The SD-set is really powerful and a great stallbreaker - it wrecks fast every wall, that's not Hippowdon or Gliscor, and with the right prediction it can even beat Aegislash. It pairs perfectly with fairies and your own Aegislash too.

I've really liked using Mega Pinsir, but you always want to use Return / Quick Attack / Earthquake for offense. STAB Aerilate Return does almost twice as much damage as Close Combat without the defense drops and with better coverage, letting it smash through almost everything with ridiculous power. You could use Close Combat if you really want a fourth attack, but I don't think it's worth it over options like Swords Dance or Substitute.
It there any merit to thrash over return? On paper it's Gen V's outrage with nothing immune. Is it because switching in and out with a bug/flying type is an invitation for sneaky pebbles?

It there any merit to thrash over return? On paper it's Gen V's outrage with nothing immune. Is it because switching in and out with a bug/flying type is an invitation for sneaky pebbles?
People are going to be running one of these three as power STAB.

Return - 102 BP, no effects
Double Edge - 120 BP, 1/4 recoil
Thrash - 120 BP, locks in for 2-3 turns, confuses at the end of the lock-in

Off the top of my head, Thrash looks like the best option for teams that would use Mega-Pinsir as a cleaner, when resists are out of the way or weakened enough to punch through with Thrash. It does seem like an inferior option to Return though, especially when you consider that Mega-Pinsir only has decent speed and would like to be able to use Quick Attack when it needs it.

If anything were to use Thrash outside of an Inverse Battle, it'd be Pinsir, but I'm not sure it's actually any better of a choice. I haven't found myself often wishing Return his just a bit harder, especially since if it's against a faster foe or one with priority, Quick Attack can finish it off, and Return + Quick Attack does quite a bit more damage than Thrash. Also, I don't often find myself just spamming Return for three turns in a row; it might be different with a Swords Dance set up, but in the battles I've played, the option of changing moves or switching out is really valuable. I'd never use Thrash; attaching such a cost to Pinsir's primary attack is just too risky.

People are going to be running one of these three as power STAB.

Return - 102 BP, no effects
Double Edge - 120 BP, 1/4 recoil
Thrash - 120 BP, locks in for 2-3 turns, confuses at the end of the lock-in

Off the top of my head, Thrash looks like the best option for teams that would use Mega-Pinsir as a cleaner, when resists are out of the way or weakened enough to punch through with Thrash. It does seem like an inferior option to Return though, especially when you consider that Mega-Pinsir only has decent speed and would like to be able to use Quick Attack when it needs it.
When Double-Edge becomes an option via Pokebank, I'm sure some Pinsir will prefer it, especially the ones that expect to use Swords Dance more often. Personally, I've found Pinsir's longevity not a thing to underestimate; it does have 65/120/90 defenses, after all, especially if you can keep rocks off the field. Also, using it alongside Substiture would be a particularly bad idea, and I'm a really big fan of Substitute Pinsir myself. But yes, once it's released, it should be Pinsir's sole notable alternative to Return, and will definitely be worth a mention. Or is worth a mention already, for anyone already playing the Pokebank metagame.

I do want to point out, though, that it has 1/3 recoil; you may be thinking of Head Charge, Bouffalant's personal variation.

I've seen quite a few Mega Scizors, much to my surprise. He's not bad, but I expected other megas to be favored over him.
I suspect there are a great deal of teams that didn't need any Mega in particular but were already using Scizor. It doesn't do quite the same job as CB, but it has its uses for other sets.

Kangaskhan? Gengar? Charizard? Blastoise? Tyranitar? Mawile? Gardevoir? No? Okay.
I left out gengar but other than that I don't see too many of the other ones.
At least in my ratings (~2300). One may see more below or above that but I wouldn't know as I've only dwelled around 2200-2300. Nobody is going to use things like mega mawile since mega stones are subjected to 1 pokemon per team.
And with things like gengar, lucario, garchomp, and such, it's just how it is.
I'd never use mega on khanga, mawile, etc unless I'm making a truly gimmicky team that is centered heavily around those pokemons.

I left out gengar but other than that I don't see too many of the other ones.
At least in my ratings (~2300). One may see more below or above that but I wouldn't know as I've only dwelled around 2200-2300. Nobody is going to use things like mega mawile since mega stones are subjected to 1 pokemon per team.
And with things like gengar, lucario, garchomp, and such, it's just how it is.
I'd never use mega on khanga, mawile, etc unless I'm making a truly gimmicky team that is centered heavily around those pokemons.
Oh, I thought you were saying "I see only" as in "I see only these as being viable".

In my opion, Mega Gengar and Mega Blaziken and mayyybe Mega Lucario.
ur going to see mega kanga and even possibly mawhile more than mega blacken. Mblaziken is awesome, but is essentially the exact same as regular blaziken with a power boost (no new typing or ability), meaning most people will opt to use their precious mega stone on something that has a completely different play style or ability to abuse (adaptability lucario, wall breaking garchomp, shadow tag gengar etc.) This does not reflect my personal opinion on the matter as i use mega alakazam atm bc i like alakazam but thats irrelevant :x

I don't know why people think MKangaskhan or MMawile are bad.

They're maybe a bit overshadowed by the likes of MLucario, MGengar, or MBlaziken, but they're quite good as well. It's not like using MMawile automatically makes you terrible for not choosing MBlaziken.

And really, MBlaziken and MGengar are definitely going to get the boot to Ubers. I haven't had much experience with MLucario to say much about him, but it's likely he'll stay OU because he despises Mach Punch.

I don't know why people think MKangaskhan or MMawile are bad.

They're maybe a bit overshadowed by the likes of MLucario, MGengar, or MBlaziken, but they're quite good as well. It's not like using MMawile automatically makes you terrible for not choosing MBlaziken.

And really, MBlaziken and MGengar are definitely going to get the boot to Ubers. I haven't had much experience with MLucario to say much about him, but it's likely he'll stay OU because he despises Mach Punch.

You sure about the boot? I'm not sure that MGengar is going to do that well up there just because of how frail it is and how tough some of them are....Tho he does have sub and shadow tag and some amazong moves so who knows

You sure about the boot? I'm not sure that MGengar is going to do that well up there just because of how frail it is and how tough some of them are....Tho he does have sub and shadow tag and some amazong moves so who knows
adding on to this, talonflame's current popularity is really hurting Mblaziken, as no matter how high his speed gets, priority flying destroys him

Edit: didn't fully read the the commentors post, as one's role in ubers doesn't make him an uber... his potential metachanging and OP would make him uber. he could suck ass up there, but thats life

Last edited:

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It doesn't matter how well it does in Ubers. If a pokemon is found to be broken in its tier, it is banned from that tier.

It doesn't matter how well it does in Ubers. If a pokemon is found to be broken in its tier, it is banned from that tier.
But if MGengar doesn't do well wouldn't he get booted down? And i don't see how MGengar could possiably be broken

On another note, I seem to be the only one with this opion but,I think MSaur is actually very Viable if you are going to use a grass type.

But if MGengar doesn't do well wouldn't he get booted down? And i don't see how MGengar could possiably be broken
No, Ubers is a banlist first and a metagame second. If a Pokémon is deemed too unhealthy for the OU-metagame, it gets booted up no matter how well it does up there.

For an example, Deoxys-N is horribly outclassed in Ubers, but in the past three Generations it was Uber, because it was just too powerful for OU.

No, Ubers is a banlist first and a metagame second. If a Pokémon is deemed too unhealthy for the OU-metagame, it gets booted up no matter how well it does up there.

For an example, Deoxys-N is horribly outclassed in Ubers, but in the past three Generations it was Uber, because it was just too powerful for OU.

So then Deoxys-N is rarely ever used then since it's banned to Ubers and doesn't do to well up there. In regards to Mega Gengar, I don't do wifi battles anyways so I would just use him in GBU battles and he'd do alright there so this in no way affects me but still, tho I don't wifi battle i want to see if MGengar does well up there incase if i ever do want to Wifi battle and do ubers....But right now i'll stick to using MGengar in GBU. Tho, yeah it seems alittle stupid that pokemon get banned to Ubers and then rarely see any use. it make me think the tiering system could be ajusted alittle, that's my opion tho.

So then Deoxys-N is rarely ever used then since it's banned to Ubers and doesn't do to well up there. In regards to Mega Gengar, I don't do wifi battles anyways so I would just use him in GBU battles and he'd do alright there so this in no way affects me but still, tho I don't wifi battle i want to see if MGengar does well up there incase if i ever do want to Wifi battle and do ubers....But right now i'll stick to using MGengar in GBU. Tho, yeah it seems alittle stupid that pokemon get banned to Ubers and then rarely see any use. it make me think the tiering system could be ajusted alittle, that's my opion tho.
The thing is, Ubers is a bit of a limbo in scenarios like that. The aforementioned Deoxys-N isn't used because it's outclassed by stuff that can do it's job better, as it's the middle child of Deoxys A and Deoxys S. However its far too powerful for OU, so it had to be booted up into Ubers, regardless if its gonna do well, and it cant drop back down to OU as the reason it got booted to Ubers was being too good for OU, so it suffers from being too good for OU, not good enough for Ubers.

The thing is, Ubers is a bit of a limbo in scenarios like that. The aforementioned Deoxys-N isn't used because it's outclassed by stuff that can do it's job better, as it's the middle child of Deoxys A and Deoxys S. However its far too powerful for OU, so it had to be booted up into Ubers, regardless if its gonna do well, and it cant drop back down to OU as the reason it got booted to Ubers was being too good for OU, so it suffers from being too good for OU, not good enough for Ubers.

But can't we just make an Upper Uber Tier and a Lower Uber Tier? I think it would bring more balance to ubers imo.
Also, this really only affects Wifi MetaGame users and Simulator users right? I mean I know it doesn't effect the GBU and Deoxys is banned from there anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)