Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is, threats will be handled because some old threats (I put good money on Snorlax if he doesn't get Slack Off) will become unthreatining and only a few new ones (and MAYBE 1 or 2 GSC to RSE Gyarados cases) make the cut.
Even with some "old" threats nerfed, there have been more than enough "new" threats to take their place. You can't possibly argue that there aren't more threats to deal with in this current gen compared to the 3rd gen. Aside from the increase in the number of Pokemon, older Pokemon got a lot of new toys this gen to vault them into "threat" status.

As long as stallish/defensive play is still playable, that's all I can ask for on that front. I don't think GameFreak wants to make a game that's dominated by stall; I just hope they don't continue to bolster offensive play with few defensive boosts in the 5th gen.

I personally hope they add a Light/Holy type. It would make sense with Dark being around and it would kind of make sense as another Dragon weakness. They could also make it weak to Normal and balance that type a little bit too.
I've heard that the Psychic type in Japanese translates to something similar to a "Light" type. Not sure how accurate that is though.

@Pokemon_Pimp--What the hell? Stall and tankish pokemon do not make a more stable metagame than hyper offensive ones. Every powerful OU pokemon brings a slightly different dimension to the meta, and represents its own type of threat.
Agreed. But I think he highlights an important point in that there is a lot more variety available for offensive teams compared to stall teams. Part of it has to do with the limited number of defensive Pokemon that can check multiple common offensive threats but in general, defensive Pokemon variety is a little lacking. From a 4th gen perspective, the limited number of really good defensive Pokemon would make a hypothetical stall dominated metagame appear more stable but I don't think that's has to be case.

Of course, the slow speed of the animations in battle is probably the biggest knock against bolstering defensive play. There could be a backlash if stallish play became the dominant playstyle in the 5th gen without any improvement in animation speed. Could be a reason why Game Freak was more geared towards offense this gen.

I suggested Wood, but not because I question Fossil likeness to Rock and I don't even compare those two. I just suggest it because I think it's probably the most unique type to suggest right now
I'm not sure if I posted this before (I wrote stuff out but may have abandoned the post): Cosmic type. Generally associated with space.

Deoxys and Jirachi become part-Cosmic, and maybe Cresselia and/or Darkrai too. Lunatone and Solrock get their psychic type changed to Cosmic. Porygon2 gets its 'official' evolution (Porygon-Z was probably a villainous team's 'hack' of P2), which is pure Cosmic (the Porygon line was supposedly developed with the hope of going into space). The item to make Porygon2 evolve into Porygon3 is a Nintendo Event, and having Porygon3 you can do into space and catch a new pure-Cosmic legendary.

Type matchups will probably be whatever 'fixes' stuff.

Meteor Mash could maybe change to Cosmic, though that might spoil things for the steels that use it.

As far as a new type goes, cosmic seems like the most believable theory. Though I'm doubtful a new type will be included. People in this thread are thinking of updated in terms of Smogon; a small (in terms of pokemon), elitist pokemon site with it's own but different(albeit incredibly refined) metagame to what Nintendo recognises. Sure, a few competitive changes might happen, but most of it will be geared towards roping in new customers by targeting the <10 year olds.

Sound is another type that has been thrown around a bit. Cosmic would be the best option ino followed by sound. Chatot might just get the respect it deserves.

Of course, the slow speed of the animations in battle is probably the biggest knock against bolstering defensive play. There could be a backlash if stallish play became the dominant playstyle in the 5th gen without any improvement in animation speed. Could be a reason why Game Freak was more geared towards offense this gen.
There IS an option to turn off attack animations in the games. Unless that option doesn't apply to WiFi for some reason, that doesn't really seem to be a good reason for favoring offense over defense.

I'm not sure if I posted this before (I wrote stuff out but may have abandoned the post): Cosmic type. Generally associated with space.

Deoxys and Jirachi become part-Cosmic, and maybe Cresselia and/or Darkrai too. Lunatone and Solrock get their psychic type changed to Cosmic. Porygon2 gets its 'official' evolution (Porygon-Z was probably a villainous team's 'hack' of P2), which is pure Cosmic (the Porygon line was supposedly developed with the hope of going into space). The item to make Porygon2 evolve into Porygon3 is a Nintendo Event, and having Porygon3 you can do into space and catch a new pure-Cosmic legendary.

Meteor Mash could maybe change to Cosmic, though that might spoil things for the steels that use it.
Why would they do this? They already use psychic to show "Cosmic" pokemon, with a few exceptions being Normal type. Flavour-wise it's covered, and I don't see any need to fiddle with that particular aspect of the type chart.

I guess cotton could be another type... Jumpluff, Altaria. That would be ridiculous though. I doubt we will get types like this, just seems a little "specialized." The only plausible one I can think of would be "light," but even that seems cheesy.

Also who says there will be new types? Maybe there will just be new type combinations (fighting + flying Farfetch'd evo).

As far as a new type goes, cosmic seems like the most believable theory. Though I'm doubtful a new type will be included. People in this thread are thinking of updated in terms of Smogon; a small (in terms of pokemon), elitist pokemon site with it's own but different(albeit incredibly refined) metagame to what Nintendo recognises. Sure, a few competitive changes might happen, but most of it will be geared towards roping in new customers by targeting the <10 year olds.
It is true these games are aimed at ten years old, however I'd like to point out a fact to all of yous, I was reading an article some time ago. You may say ‘GF doesn’t give a crap about competitive battling’ no, not true at all. The overall game play is simplified for kids, however for enthusiastic fans they have developed a deep complex battling system for yous , GF has always expanded each generation for you guys, they introduced, IV, EV’s, abilities, hold items, spilt in the physical/special moves. If you didn’t know GF has separate teams working on different aspects of the games, they have a team solely working on a battle system. They do their best to balance out the pokemon and the battle mechanics, if you didn’t know they have their own tiers, look at the battle tower in battle frontier to see the pokemon not allowed. They do design the battle system for competitive play only by their standards.
So chances are they’ll introduce something new to the battle system in 5th gen, I can’t work out what can be done, but yeah I see it coming. For you people who say why doesn’t GF explain what IV and EV’s are in-game, the GF director said it’d be rather confusing for kids, however for enthusiastic fans who are really interested in the battle system will go off and figure it out themselves. By the way GF does know competitive play is out there as he hinted the internet;] I remember reading it ( it would be weird if they didn’t, they have been making the games for over 10 years now) lol

I like this a lot, as well as the other suggested "Light" type.

As great (or not great) as many of these ideas are, keep in mind we haven't had any change to the type chart whatsoever since the transition from RBY to GSC. The jump from ADV to DP is considered the smallest one between generations so far, and I think we'll continue that trend. So as much fun as fantasizing about cosmic, light and fossil types is, what you can expect is 100 new Pokemon, of which about 10-20 will provide serious competition, and the usual package of new items, moves and abilities with it.

^ this is truth. As for GF not caring at all about the competitive side. Go into the Battle Factory. Get a streak of around 100 going and swap a poke after every battle. You will end up with some AMAZING movesets which I have seen adapted in the strategy dex. I even stole one of the skarmory movesets as a lead before. If you think a Guts Ursaring with four hard hitting moves holding a flame/toxic orb is a bad or subpar set then there is something wrong with you.

Excellent. Graphics change, a focus on useful and creative pokemon and at least one major innovation to the battle engine sounds good to me.

Like to see some interesting typings like Fire/Dragon, Ghost/Water, Ghost/Ground etc.

Less legendaries would be good.

Fire/Dragon is going to be (at least it is likely to be) overcentrelising or broken. Remember, the only way possible to resist the STABS is with Flash Fire (basically saying it's a fire type) and a Steel... of which we have one of, and will probubly get one of. And if Heatran has to be on every team to resist the assults (and this is assuming Draco here doesn't get Earthquake), then that's NO GOOD.

I support Ghost/Water though. As well as Water/Bug and (possibly) Water/Fire. But those should be the only water types next gen. I mean, they already are the largest type, with 92 pokemon (that's a 5th of the National Dex, btw.), so it would make sense...

Oh, and if you remember, we considered: Blaziken, Claydol, Donphan, Dugtrio, Dusclops, Ludicolo, Magnaton, Medicham, Milotic, Raikou, Regice, Sceptile, Slaking, and Weezing "Threats". Now? Sceptile, Donphan, Dugtrio, Claydol, Blaziken, Magnaton, Ludicolo, Milotic, Raikou, and Weezing are UU, the rest are NU.

Believe me, there will be offensive threats. But there will be defensive ones now as well, and that will keep it balanced. And if a pokemon makes it so stall or semi-stall doesn't work, we'll pull a Yanmega.

Oh my,why everybody is so esceptic?Nintendo Japan itself had announced a new game with new pokemon,there's no doubt about it!

Ah,and I'll love Nintendo if they launch another Pokemon Snap but too much better than the first one.They can make an interesting game with the wiimote.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
a lot of more "stealth" entry hazards which wont stack which each other would be a very intresting idea, especially when this means you can choose to destroy moltres/charizard/yanmega on entry, salamence/flygon/dragonite on entry, or scizor/forretress on entry with diffrent types of stealth entry hazards

I've heard that the Psychic type in Japanese translates to something similar to a "Light" type. Not sure how accurate that is though.
I actually want to know where people keep gettin' that. According to Bulba at least, Psychic's known as the Esper type, or the "エスパー" type. .. Where does the "Light" come in from there?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I actually want to know where people keep gettin' that. According to Bulba at least, Psychic's known as the Esper type, or the "エスパー" type. .. Where does the "Light" come in from there?
Besides, having the Light Type to be weak (and actually useless) against the "Evil" type would be a bit... strange.

I guess it's best if people learn that, if one type is X, all others are non-X. Which means that, if the Evil type is evil, all other types are... non-evil. Which makes them, in a sense, the "Light type".

I support Ghost/Water though. As well as Water/Bug and (possibly) Water/Fire. But those should be the only water types next gen. I mean, they already are the largest type, with 92 pokemon (that's a 5th of the National Dex, btw.), so it would make sense...
Well, we did get a Water/Bug in 3rd gen... Remember Surskit? It's NFE, and its evolution, Masquerain isn't exactly that good either, but the point is there is a pokemon with that type combo;>

I'd like to see a Dark/Psychic one. According to my calculations, it would only have one weakness and neutrality to everything else. x4 Bug weakness (U-turn becomes happy). Or maybe an offensive Dark/Ghost *drool*.

EDIT: One more thing. In the 4th gen, we got some really major stuff that favoured offensive pokes (Choice scarf/specs, Life Orb), and almost nothing to boost defensive ones. Pokemon like Umbreon could be so great, if only the defensive minded pokemon would get similar boosts as the offensive ones. At least something to make them able to stand up to the massive offensive threats we get with the band/spec attacks. If this keeps up, Blissey will be the only viable wall in the entire game, and even she will get pummeled down by special attacks eventually if offense keep getting the good stuff. The best item defensive pokemon has is leftovers, and that will never help them keep up with band/spec boosted attacks. We need a mechanic that helps defensive pokemon handle those massive attacks. I don't have any good ideas as to what, but I think it could make more mixed teams viable if defensive pokemon got a boost in some way.

I guess it's best if people learn that, if one type is X, all others are non-X. Which means that, if the Evil type is evil, all other types are... non-evil. Which makes them, in a sense, the "Light type".
I thought it was in terms of the Evil type having to do with shady characteristics ("Scheming" and "Biting" are a few). As previously said in this thread, IIRC, Fighting is the closest to a "Light" type, since it has to do with the honorable way of Fighting techniques ('Cept there's a lack of a Shoryuken), but that's another story...

What I'd really like to see is a Fire Physical Priority move, hopefully learned by Entei and Flareon. I'd also love to see another Special Fighting move, though the chances of that seem albeit slim.

Yeah as you suspected that's complete BS. As dude before said, it's esper type which even in English means someone who can use psychic powers. Nothing to do with light lol.

And concerning the fake magazine scan, I could live with 'Masamunegi'. In fact giving Farfetch'd a parallel evo, one a 'good' Masamune and the other an 'evil' Muramasa would be amazing. It's a pretty cool Japanese legend and it'd translate in a nice way for Farfetch'd, while providing some useful physical flying-types. Highly doubt they'd do it though.

And the fake Delibird evo's name? Treebead? Eh? I don't get it at all. It just makes me think of Treebeard!

Also

then that's NO GOOD.
LOL! Thanks for the advice Sonic.

I realize that this is a competitive sight, but the biggest(EDIT: ok, not really big but it'd be REALLY helpful) change I want to see from this generation has nothing to do with competiviness at all. I would like to see an option for searching boxes for x pokemon, which would function much like searching through the pokedex. I don't know how many times I've had to look through all the boxes once or twice just to find one pokemon.

I think if GF likes the 4x4 double battle format, they should give us a side-quest chain of islands with its own gyms and Elite 4 dedicated to VGC style battles. Thus far all of the in-game double battles have been really lame. "Oh, so now I have to fight _TWO_ Puruglys and I have to team up with a stupid NPC..."

Mostly I want more gyms after the E4. That was the best part of GSC. But I think if they did this, more people would get into the VGC style metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)