Octillery

You mean octillery right?

Also another good counter unless it gets banned is Manaphy with energy ball, since it can tail glow on the protect and wipe out Oct every time. With no reliable recovery unless it gets like +6 sp.att in a row Manaphy will eventually beat it.
Yeah, or can't anything faster with an SE move beat it too? :0 Just Tbolt / Giga Drain or something on the Sub...

I can see it being annoying like Jirachi's flinchax, but I think it's a little hysterical to call it ban-worthy. Like most things, it is beatable.... it's just something we haven't seen before, and thus, a lot of things don't know how to deal with it.

Faster with SE moves end up like this:
I BP my Ingrain to Octillery. I sub on the switch. Protect. Sub. Protect. Sub. Protect. Have fun.
Ive had Octillery take on Manaphy in the rain AND WIN, simply due to Evasion hax.

Faster with SE moves end up like this:
I BP my Ingrain to Octillery. I sub on the switch. Protect. Sub. Protect. Sub. Protect. Have fun.
Ive had Octillery take on Manaphy in the rain AND WIN, simply due to Evasion hax.
The only thing that can BP Ingrain is Smeargle, which also gets Inconsistant, so why don't you just use Smeargle in the first place for the boosts?

Edit: Ah, I see, nvm then.

Foresight goes through Substitute, so you can keep them from getting Evasion boosts that way.
It's absurd to require the use of an otherwise near-useless move just to beat a strategy based solely on hax. Foresight beats Minimize/Double Team, too, and they're banned.

Nigh useless only because those things are banned. It's a hard counter that makes evasion moves completely useless and forces a switch.

Are you so hard up for moves that you can't spare one move out of the entire team for anticipating stuff with Inconsistent?

Hell, make it a Fighting or Normal type, so that you can also use it on ghosts.

Use counters. Outplay people who rely on "hax".

Or just ban the ability, so you can keep sitting down on the move and continue to consign it to the "near-useless" pile out of hand.

Question: are Haze and Clear Smog affected by the Evasion increase? If so, then I think these will be much more practical alternatives to moves such as Foresight / Odor Sleuth.

Clear Smog's an attacking move with accuracy, so it's effected by the Evasion.

Haze isn't.

Haze, though, can be a bit of an uphill battle, because Inconsistent can always pull off another Evasion boost. The Foresight trio will eliminate future Evasion boosts as well.

I wonder if anything learns Clear Smog and one of those three. You could use FS/OS/ME to get rid of Evasion, and then just use Clear Smog repeatedly to take out the other boosts while attcking.

I don't believe it is only the evasion, as with enough (special) defense pulls off Protect/Sub Octillery can tank fairly well. (Of course, with Ingrain passed on for substitute)
I've also found substitute handy for critical hits and the like.
By simply spamming protect/sub, it is to rack up enough boosts to validate a sweep. I can think of a couple ways to beat Inconsistent Octillery, but the insanity with Ingrain is IMO considerable for banning.

EDIT: Clear Smog details, ignore the banning part.

Haze.

Punishment (goodbye, Substitute).

Clear Smog (requires getting through the substitute, but with something strong enough, like say a Gengar or Shanderaa...

Clear Smog's an attacking move with accuracy, so it's effected by the Evasion.

Haze isn't.

Haze, though, can be a bit of an uphill battle, because Inconsistent can always pull off another Evasion boost. The Foresight trio will eliminate future Evasion boosts as well.

I wonder if anything learns Clear Smog and one of those three. You could use FS/OS/ME to get rid of Evasion, and then just use Clear Smog repeatedly to take out the other boosts while attcking.
IIRC, Clear Smog is also an auto-hit move, like Swift.

God this is insane. I just had a battle at 4-1 up with my members on almost full health, against his 1 Bibarrel. He Protected, got a speed boost, then just SubProtect spammed until he could sweep.
Evasion boosts are even worse. When you have an ability which, with almost no skill and only a little luck involved, can EASILY create 6-0 sweeps, surely you have to ban it.

We have a winnar.

Bring out Gengar, use Clear Smog until they choke.

Clear Smog already has more Power Points than Protect, and with a few PP up, more than Protect and Substitute combined.

Who cares if they're getting Evasion and attack and defense boosts if you reset everything each turn and have perfect accuracy regardless.

We have a winnar.

Bring out Gengar, use Clear Smog until they choke.

Clear Smog already has more Power Points than Protect, and with a few PP up, more than Protect and Substitute combined.

Who cares if they're getting Evasion and attack and defense boosts if you reset everything each turn and have perfect accuracy regardless.
Putting Clear Smog on Gengar is pretty much a waste though, since you're never going to use it otherwise. They're also just going to switch in a pursuiter to get rid of Gengar. Just use the pokeball-shroom guy, since he's got decent enough defences to actually use Clear Smog...

Roserade

Guys, there's one Pokemon that I think can beat (non-Flamethrower) Octillery 1v1 that hasn't been discussed yet: Roserade.

Roserade gets Technician via Dream World. Combined with Magical Leaf, if Roserade switches right into Octillery, it seems that Octillery's only chance of winning 1v1 is haxing Special Defense boosts. I was thinking something like:

Roserade @ Leftovers
Modest/Timid (Modest probably preferred as this thing's purpose is to beat Octillery)
EVs: whatever, probably 6/252/252 unless a better spread emerges
- Magical Leaf
- HP Fire/Ice (at power 60)
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes / Sleep Powder
- Psych Up / Sleep Powder / Synthesis

Roserade also has an advantage over the other janky "counters" because it isn't a useless standalone Pokemon. It still absorbs and sets up (Toxic) Spikes and can put something to sleep.

I think once DW Roserade is released Octillery will have met its match at last.

But if Octillery gets enough defensive boosts, he has Roserade over a barrel.

Morobearu's Clear Smog removes the boosts every turn (or two turns, depending on Protect), he absorbs Toxic Spikes, and he's got a supereffective move in Giga Drain. Can throw that out when he feels it's safe to not remove the boosts.

Clear Smog
Perish Song

The latter is Baton Passed meaning it screws Smeargle completey.
The days of being blindsided by Inconsistent should be over.
Adapt or Lose.

Sucker Punching Toxicroak w/ Dry Skin makes a great counter to standard(?) Inconsistent set (Surf,Toxic,Protect,Sub), even removing away toxic spikes. It subs after the switch in, sets up Swords Dance and proceeds to sweep. Can be viable in OU

The only problem is the limited PP in Cross Chop/Sucker Punch. Swords Dance has a great PP pool so yeah, worst case scenario you Struggle Octillery into submission.

Do you really think PP stalling Octillery would work? I've used it and swept an uber team with +6 Struggle, with a -Attack nature and 0 Attack EVs, so PP stalling out still doesn't work as it can kill about half your team before it goes down to recoil damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)