Octillery

hmm, maybe rock blast then? It's gotten an accuracy boost this gen, and there's always the chance of inconsistent increasing accuracy. An average of 75 bp still sucks though, and I guess its coverage is quite redundant.

Oh right, it learns bullet seed, which in average only has 5 less bp than seed bomb. And it learns that by level up, so that it must be able to learn with inconsistent, right?

You could always try waterfall. You know, its stab physical move. It has the same attack as special attack.

Yeah, but the thing is it has alot less bp than surf, as well as most ground types having more physical defence than sp def. Grass would be better off as a physical attack, to nail waters that usually have balanced defenses. It also nails burukeru extra hard.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
My favorite Octillery set:

@Leftovers
Inconsistent
Timid
244HP / 12SpD / 252Spe

-Substitute
-Protect
-Toxic
-Surf / Flamethrower

Pretty much stall for boosts for as long as possible, and use toxic and flamethrower accordingly. It has singlehandedly ripped apart entire teams, with a little luck. Really the only things that caused trouble were Heatran (who were reluctant to be switched in for fear of a water attack), RestTalkers (especially Suicune), Refresh users (they exist), Starmie in the rain with Thunder, CM Rankurusu, and possibly Roobushin (with awful luck or bad prediction). Given twenty or so turns of set-up (made easier with evasion boosts), literally everything else falls to the mighty Octillery!

Edit: Oh, and Manaphy in the rain. However, Octillery does have one fierce Struggle attack if it ever comes to that, considering it will almost certainly be at +6 Atk / +6 Spe! At least it can go out in a blaze of glory, which is truly a wonder to behold.

2nd Edit: Added in Surf as the primary option, because after playtesting, it is generally the superior option. Missing super-effective hits on Nattorei, Skarmory, and Grass-types is well worth the increase in power against rain and sand teams.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Much like with the old days, I've been running Octillery on a trick room team.

Octillery @ Choice Specs/Expert Belt/Life orb
Trait: Sniper
Nature: Quiet
252 sp. atk/252 atk

Water Spout
Seed Bomb
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Ice Beam

For me, I would lead with Celebi holding a lagging tail. Celebi would stop hazards from going up with magic coat, set up trick room, and then u-turn to Octillery.

Water Spout is your main option. But when Nattorei or Burungeru shows up, you've got Seed Bomb/Fire Blast. Inconsistent isn't used (despite how lolzy that ability is) because its illeagal with seed bomb. Seed bomb is needed over energy ball as stuff like Vaporeon, Burungeru, and Politoed all take more damage from it. Really though, you'll just be spamming water spout as Nattorei is faster than you in a trick room anyway and will force you out with Power Whip. You'll also have to watch out for tentacruel as Octillery's best electrical option without hidden power is Charge Beam. If you're feeling excrutiatingly lucky, you could run a scope lens as your item. But it's an inferior option.

Without trick room, I find this guy hard to use. You could go for Inconsistent and run thunder wave I suppose. The baton pass route only works if he isn't attacked at all on the way in.

I don't think I'd bother much with Inconsistent, Suction Cups is the way to go IMO. There are two big instances where Octillery was really quite good, and totally underrated IMO last gen: as a Trick Room sweeper and a Baton Pass recipient. The latter is harder to pull off, as you need to get a significant amount of Speed under him if you want to sweep anything, but being unable to be phazed out by Roar/Whirlwind is fantastic, and Octillery is much more offensively capable than Cradily is.

I got another thing to add to Octillery's "CON" list: it's so hard to pick between these three great abilities!

Smeargle also gets Inconsistent, so it's better to have a Smeargle on your team passing the boosts to the Octillery instead of having Octillery have boosts and lower stats by itself.

(Here, White Herb is the way to go if you don't want lower stats from Smeargle's Inconsistent.) And with the boosts that Smeargle could get, who needs any other item?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there any practical use of using Inconsistent at all? I mean, every Smeargle and Pass Octillery I have faced in battle have basically failed because they've boosted the wrong, WRONG stats at the wrong times. Accuracy is especially a down-low. Not sure Octillery would appreciate having an offensive decrease just when it's about the sweep a team with +2 +2 Attack and Speed.

alphatron

Inconsistent has no practical use at all. It's hard to make winning strategies out of things you can't control. On the other hand, I've had a match in which an enemy Glalie maxed out on evasion against me and obtained a level of +1/3 sp. atk. I lost that battle because I couldn't hit him at all.

Almost makes me wonder how this ability bypasses the evasion clause, but I'm not gonna complain.

I faced reyscarface on the ladder and he was using inconsistent octilery set that looked something like Substitute/Protect/Surf/Toxic (not sure about that last one). My team got totally wrecked by it (it's large part my fault for not running any phazers/taunters though). My Venusaur in the sun got stalled and KOed by life orb recoil. The most annoying part is when it boosts it's evasion up to +6, it's extremenly frustrating to deal with. I guess taunters or phazers would shut it down completely, but if your team lacks one or if it's KOed, it's near impossible to stop the octopus.

alphatron

I tried phasing that Glalie that I mentioned in my earlier post. Whirlwind missed. If inconsistent pokemon boost their evasion, you just have to hope you hit them.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I cannot stress enough how easy inconsistent octillery usually is to set up. If you can Sub/Protect until your Evasion gets to +2, then your opponent better have a way to wait it out, or else phaze it. Erufuun with Mischievous Heart makes a superb partner with a set like:

Erufuun @ Leftovers
Mischievous Heart
252HP / 252Def / 4SpD
Bold

-Stun Spore
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Hurricane

Subseeding is great on its own, but paralyzing something really makes Octillery's life easy. It can switch in and nab some cheap boosts and set up a sub while your opponent either switches out or allows you to stall away.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Jesus Christ, this thing is the most annoying thing I've ever faced. I'm not kidding either, my team literally couldn't do anything against it once it set up a Sub no matter how much I tried to stop it. The reason for this is that it basically just spams Sub/Protect until it gets an Evasion boost, and after that, there's not much you can do besides try to phaze/haze it. With a sharp Evasion boost all of your 100% accurate moves now have 60% accuracy, which means they all have the same accuracy as Hypnosis. At this point, good luck actually hitting the Sub, much less breaking it if Octillery got a +2 boost in either defense. Basically it just keeps going until it has massive stat boosts in everything.

It's not only difficult to phaze if it gets an Evasion boost, but it's also really hard to Trick if it can set a Sub up.

I guess if you have a Sandstorm or Hail team, the thing won't really get much done (unless it uses Sub/Protect/Rest/Surf), but Inconsistent is actually really good in the hands of a skilled player. I'm glad that Octillery doesn't suck balls anymore at least.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
yeah ive done at least 50 octillery sweeps in the past 2 weeks, Surf / Protect / Sub / Toxic is incredibly good, and using max HP with enough speed to beat up to Garchomp at +2.

never use flamethrower though, it sucks balls, using your STAB is much much much more useful.

ive done so many 6-0s with this its not even funny, specially on dream world. Get in on a choiced shandera, use substitute on switch, protect on attack, and if you got +2 speed or evasion, its pretty much over from there and so on.

oh also whirlwind and roar can miss, so good luck phazing it.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
All sets should run Octazooka, because Octazooka is the coolest move. Seriously, just look at the name and tell me you don't want to use that.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I want this thing to be banned. NOW! It can come in on anything, spam protect + sub, and demolish any team. PHazing doesn't even work because of that evasion boost it always gets.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I think I speak for the majority of the competitive battling community when I say Inconsistent Octillery is the most no skill trash Pokemon ever conceived. From what I've seen people just spam Protect whenever something dies on their team to get Octo safely in If they get evasion/speed they stay in, if not they switch out. The process repeats itself 4/5 times throughout the match with obvious random switch ins whenever the Octillery user can setup. It's just stupid and brainless. Amplify Iron Head Jirachi's gayness in dppx10000.

Eh, I've not had too much trouble with Octillery. The only one that ever beat my counter (the Grass/Poison mushroom with Clear Smog is excellent) is one that used Boiling Water for a burn.

If I was to go for the ultimate Octillery set, I'd say Boiling Water over surf, then Toxic, Protect and Sub. Boiling Water because while it loses the immediate power of surf, it allows it to beat stuff like the mushroom thing and stall it out. Of course, that relies on a bit of 30% luck, but what about Octillery doesn't?

With Paralysis support, this thing is stupidly powerful though. A team of Machamp, Jirachi and Octillery? Yes please ...

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Oxctillery's inconsistent seems to be a pretty bad pain in the ass but I can see a way to work around it I wouldn't consider it as annoying as Jirachis Iron head flinch rate.

Seiously Octillery is the hardest pokemon to beat in the game. Literally very hard to beat

Octillery@Leftovers
Inconsistent
Sub
Protect
Toxic
SurF

Set up a Sub, stall till you have +6 then sweep.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Use roar to beat it. It CAN miss but honestly the chances of Octillery boosting evasion are 1 in 6 and after it protects it'll usually sub/toxic. If it subs it loses 25% for nothing and if it toxics well who cares lol. Just make sure you got rocks on the field and after 3-4 times of it coming in it should die. I'm sure in some matches you'll lose because it gets lucky, but you can also lose due to crits and other hax every now and then. If a Phazer is able to roar it out 83% of the time (and has a chance on the increased Evasion as well) then I'd say that is a decent check to it.

Inconsistent sucks. It is not viable. Ever.

But moving on, Octillery is an absolutely amazing Rain sweeper. After Huntail passes it Shell Break + White Herb, this octopus becomes absolutely unstoppable. It gets Water Spout, which is probably one of the best attacking moves in the game. So it can pull off the legendary Rain + STAB + Water Spout Combo, just like Kyogre. With that I would like to say this.

Octillery = Kyogre

And one little statistic.

74.9% - 88.2%

That's Shell Break Rain boosted STAB 150 base power Water Spout onto standard WishBliss. Octillery can 2HKO Blissey with a non-Super Effective Special move.

If you have a rain team, you gotta have Kyogre on it.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You mean octillery right?

Also another good counter unless it gets banned is Manaphy with energy ball, since it can tail glow on the protect and wipe out Oct every time. With no reliable recovery unless it gets like +6 sp.att in a row Manaphy will eventually beat it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)