Smeargle's Studio General Thread: Spriting and Banners go here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, thanks. It's true that spriting isn't my thing, and I suppose that there are a lot off things that I missed. Oh well, maybe I'll get better as time wears on. Anyways, I've done another custom. I made it before I saw any of your posts, so it'll likely have many of the same issues, but I think it's at least better than my other custom.

I'm making it into a Fakemon HERE on the off chance you'd like to know any more about it.
Alright, again, sorry if I'm harsh.
Rule #1: All sprites max size: 80x80. No more. EDIT: 94x94 for Gen V, apparently.
Rule #2: All sprites pallette max: 16 shades ( I think). No more.
Rule #3: One surface usually should not have more than 3 shades, for a 'mon sprite.
Rule #4: All 'mon names cannot exceed 10 alphabets (yeah, too bad...)
Rule #5: 'Mon sprites should always be looking at bottom left. Or at least not flat at the front.
Rule #6: Lines cannot be crooked. This is a bit hard to correct/explain. It takes practice.
Rule #7: Don't give up! I definitely see improvements and I hope to see more!
Hope this helped!

Could somebody avatar-size (120 x 120 px) me this with a black and fiery background and the name "Lord of the Fireflies" on it please? It would be really awesome.

I know here the avatar is 100 x 100 pixel but i want it for another forum so yeah. 120x120
Reposting in case it was missed, also adding the real picture to attract eyes

Reposting in case it was missed, also adding the real picture to attract eyes

Alright, I know I'm not doing a request but this is the second picture I've seen by this artist (I assume it's the same person that made the Meditite up there)

Who's doing them and where can I find more? D:

Thanks!

I need five banners done for the seperate regions, please VM/PM me if you're interested and we can work out the details!

^Depending on if you use pure white or not, it may be only 14 or 15 color palletes, since the background/transparency takes up a pallet slot.

I've been practicing 5th gen style backsprites in preparation for CAP.

^Perfect! Few teeny little nitpicks:
The fourth (round one) doesn't look very round, uh...whatever that is...
Pichu there has awkward feet. Possible for them to be flatter?

EDIT: Magpie Flying-type Com Mon comin' up!

Wow, thanks. It's true that spriting isn't my thing, and I suppose that there are a lot off things that I missed. Oh well, maybe I'll get better as time wears on. Anyways, I've done another custom. I made it before I saw any of your posts, so it'll likely have many of the same issues, but I think it's at least better than my other custom.

I'm making it into a Fakemon HERE on the off chance you'd like to know any more about it.
Weel, I like the concept, but the execution really needs work. First of all, you need to anti-aili*something that slipped my mind*. This means that you need to remove all of the "dirty pixels" in the outline until you have a 1-pixel outline, like most pokemon sprites. Also, you need to take anatomy in as well. I know, its supposed to be pokemon- things for a little kids' game, but you need to take in the physical body of the organism that your sprite (or art) is based off of. Third, I don't think you grasp the concept of shading. There is a light scorce which the shadows move away from. This is really hard to explain and took me awhile, so I'm going to try my best.

This dude is a voltorb. A voltorb that's happy to see you. A voltorb that won't use Explosion or zap you with static electricity. This voltorb has a light scource, so it's a happy voltorb. You can cleary see that the light is coming from the top left *thanks Ritter* of the picture. From that, shadows form at the bottom left; however, this isn't always the case. Upraisings, bumps, muscles, and spikes alter where the shadows land.

I hope this will make you a better spriter- and like ICC said- practice! I hope to see you here again! :)

@Ice-cold Claws: For the bat, the large tooth looks like it's coming out his eye rather than the mouth. I'd move the top line of the tooth down a pixel. I like the overall design and line art.

@Albinoloon: Pretty interesting creature. Maybe darken the body mass slightly so it's easier to see, before I realized it was there I just thought it was a constellation or something. I'm assuming the flames/stars act as a skeleton for the being, which is pretty cool.

Thanks DV! Well, I decided to add depth to the being. I'm more intent on drawing spirits instead of fakemon because there are absolutely no restrictions on design, so can let the art flow out of you. I'm planning to make a respective spirit for each element. Anyways, the new spirit.
I hope I got the shading right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)