NU Discussion Thread [Ancient]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would almost be a necessity for Stealth Rocks to be banned in this tier for a lot of cool Pokes to be viable. I can anticipate Utility Kabutops running around all over unless there's a ban.

Kabutops @Leftovers
Jolly
252 HP 4 Att 252 Speed
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Stone Edge
-Waterfall/Aqua Jet

Something like that is what I would imagine being the dominant utility Poke down here.

It would almost be a necessity for Stealth Rocks to be banned in this tier for a lot of cool Pokes to be viable. I can anticipate Utility Kabutops running around all over unless there's a ban.

Kabutops @Leftovers
Jolly
252 HP 4 Att 252 Speed
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Stone Edge
-Waterfall/Aqua Jet

Something like that is what I would imagine being the dominant utility Poke down here.

Agreed... the list of rapid spinners is few and far between, the majority of which are weak to sr (the only ones not weak to it are Kabutops, a lulzy spinda, and weird evolite stuff like wartortle and phanphy). The only other ones worth mention are Torkoal and Cryogonal, but again... sr weakness.

Phanpy doesn't get Rapid Spin, only Donphan, which is a shame. It would have done a similar job as Kabutops will, setting up Rocks and Spinning them away and such.

Eviolite Wartortle wouldn't be too bad, would it? I mean, if it's not attacking anyway... and it gets Yawn and Toxic too, doesn't it? Seems like a decent support pokemon.

Banning Stealth Rock from NU would be... interesting, to say the least. That might actually happen given the lack of really good spinners in the tier. Kabutops appears to be quite good running a utility set, but one good spinner isn't enough for the tier as that just forces everyone to use Kabutops. Wartortle might be good though, as it would become quite bulky with Evolite, though it wouldn't be able to do much direct damage. SR was apparently very centralizing last gen (enough so to make some pokes such as Charizard fall to NU), but even then they didn't ban Stealth Rock (though PO does have a hazard-free OU server, though I doubt anyone played it). I actually hope that Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan and Sandslash go down to NU and stay there for the rest of the generation so NU would have more good spinners (though Hitmonlee.Hitmonchan has better things to do than spin).

Evolite tentacool could be ok with 150 base sp def.
Evolite Tentacool would have more than 150 base Special defense with Evolite if you decide to invest EV's in special defense. Tentacool reaches 328 Special defense with Evolite with full investment and a positive nature, and Evolite raises that to 492. In contrast, Lugia (which is in Ubers for a very good reason) has 154 special defense and yet its Special Defense caps out at 447. Tentacool can also set up Toxic Spikes (but not normal Spikes or Stealth Rock). However, Tentacool is very frail physically with only 30 base physical defense and 40 base HP.

I suppose eviolite Baltoy might be worth considering as well. It isn't as bulky, but it has that useful typing and ability.

I suppose eviolite Baltoy might be worth considering as well. It isn't as bulky, but it has that useful typing and ability.
Maybe, but six weakness and the not-that-great bulk you mentioned (According to X-Act, Mixed 284/294/313, Physically-Defensive 284/343/265, or Specially Defensive 284/220/393 max) makes that seem iffy. Two immunities and two or three useful resistances does help though.

No kidding. If you want something fully evolved that isn't weak to Stealth Rock, your choices are literally Kabutops and Spinda. Sandslash, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan are very low RU though, so they might be down here as well when everything's said and done.
We can only hope. Hitmonlee is the 54th used in RU so no doubt he has a high chance of dropping.

Kabutops @Leftovers
Jolly
252 HP 4 Att 252 Speed
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Stone Edge
-Waterfall/Aqua Jet

Unfortunately for Kabutops, Torterra is in this tier. With powerful STAB Grass and Ground moves + Stealth Rocks.

What Kabutops user in their right mind would switch into a Grass Pokemon? I fail to understand your logic, because their is no logic. That's like saying "unfortunately for Ferrothorn, there's Heatran in OU. With a powerful STAB Fire move..." Just because there are threats to a Pokemon doesn't mean it isn't going to be used, and I can guarantee Kabutops will be used with the set I posted regardless of if there are Grass Pokemon running around.

And as far as all the people suggesting Eviolite Spinners, the thing that separates a good spinner from a bad spinner is the ability to heal off the damage taken from switching in to remove the hazards. Their evolutions use Leftovers to do this in most cases, but Eviolite removes the Leftovers recovery. Added bulk means nothing if you can't stay alive. The only notable spinner in my opinion outside of Kabutops, Torkoal, and Cryogonal is Staryu, only because it has Recover, but even then that should not warrant it a spot as a spinner.

If I'm going to use Kabutops, I'm going to use it with Rain Dance. That'll have the effect of Kingdra early UU.

Choice Specs Accelgor has won me a few games.

Accelgor@Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Spe/4 HP
Bug Buzz
Giga Drain
Focus Blast
Spikes/HP [Fire]/HP [Ice]

Armaldo is another option I guess as a spinner... though nothing special. I'm surprised hitmonchan has managed to hold his place in RU... gotta hope one of the hitmons falls down to NU.

I'll agree though, none of the evolite spinners are worth using. Staryu has a nice ability and move pool and typing but its just to damn frail (30 hp will not cut it) and 85 speed is rather poor so its got little useability.

Here's another genius idea. Use Pokemon that don't care about Stealth Rocks. That's how I normally build my teams. I figure why waste a spot on my team trying to remove something that is likely going to be there, and just use something to take advantage of whoever is setting the Rocks up.

Anyway, I feel like if we continue to make tiers below NU, it'll still be a while before things like Delibird can ever be used. Eviolite Pokes will be the common stuff, and we'd have to make like 10 tiers before Delibird becomes viable at all.
Delibird is beast, CB + Hustle + Aerial Ace. ;D
*sigh* I love Delibird so much, WHY CAN'T IT BE GOOD? ...Doesn't even get Spikes any more. -_-"

Anyway, yeah I am really looking forward to NU coming out. Gen IV NU is my all-time favourite metagame, I wish more people still played it. I'm looking forward to seeing how the changes brought on by Gen V affect it, especially Eviolite. Suddenly using NFEs just got a lot less gimmicky.

It seems that the PO server has already launched an NU tier. The thing is, PO has a very different banlist from ours (the list of pokemon that cannot be used in PO's NU can be seen on their website). You can't use Accelgor, Swellow, and a long list of other pokes on the PO NU tier. I wonder how PO's NU tier will turn out compared to our NU tier when it comes out.

Regigigas is a pretty solid wall on paper. It's natural bulk is amazing, and it only has one weakness. Only problem is it has no reliable recover (I don't even think it get's Rest). That's the only reason I could see people using it.

It seems that the PO server has already launched an NU tier. The thing is, PO has a very different banlist from ours (the list of pokemon that cannot be used in PO's NU can be seen on their website). You can't use Accelgor, Swellow, and a long list of other pokes on the PO NU tier. I wonder how PO's NU tier will turn out compared to our NU tier when it comes out.
and also something to note: on PO's LU tier they either banned or moved most of the problem pokemon in smogon RU to their UU. Its also weird because they use a 5% rather than a 3.4% cut for tiers, or at least thats what I believe they do.

Also regigigas in LU doesn't surprise me.

So... This isn't really going to be Never-Used, is it? More like Hardly-Used. I mean, Swellow, Emboar, Magmortar, Eelektross... They're all decent Pokemon, and they're not alone. If there isn't another tier this Gen, it's basically mandatory for another one next Gen, because the amount of Pokemon that are still good, just not good enough for the upper tiers, will increase even more. I'm sorry, Delcatty, Delibird, and Beedrill. It just doesn't seem like you'll get a chance to shine.... :(

to be fair Delibird does get rapid spin and ice shard is nice if Swellow or Arcehops become a problem. the only downright useless pokemon in NU are pokemon like Luvdisc, Delcatty, and most starting bugs. The rest are viable. Heck, I've been using Choice Scarf Shiftry that thing's Leaf Stroms are downright destructive.

If stealth rock is banned then I can see a shit storm impending about things like articuno being broken. Stealth rock is just too important to ban, you can always use taunt magic coat or rapid spin to keep them off the field, I really don't think stealth rock should be banned but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)