The UU Viability Ranking Thread

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 282-332 (69.8 - 82.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 184-218 (45.54 - 53.96%) -- 96.09% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Seeing as both of them are faster, Tangrowth doesn't counter Azumarill or Rhyperior.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 282-332 (69.8 - 82.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 184-218 (45.54 - 53.96%) -- 96.09% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Seeing as both of them are faster, Tangrowth doesn't counter Azumarill or Rhyperior.
Well I was wrong about Azumarril, will fix that, but Rhyperior can only 2HKO Tangy, while it can OHKO with any of its STABs. Switching in can be a problem, but Megahorn has low and the opponent may not even predict the switch. Thanks though

You do realize that those calcs are from two of the hardest hitters in the tier (base 140 and 149, respectively) with a Choice Band, meaning Tangrowth can still pivot around them thanks to Regenerator? I'm saying this because I see this a lot, 'CB Victini 2HKOes Slowbro with Bolt Strike' (or worse, Slowbro is 2/3HKOed by U-TURN from X mon!), so what? You're locked into a move that gives hundreds of free switches, while the defensive Pokemon can switch back out and regain a third of its health. Sure, it will lose mano a mano, but you shouldn't doubt that Tangrowth is perfectly capable of switching into those threats. A different case can be with something like Sharp, which can run Ice Beam due to its passable Special Attack, therefore hitting Tangrowth extremely hard after the latter switched into a STAB move.
Tangrowth is perfectly capable of switching into purely physical threats and pivot around them, unless of course it's something like CB Heracross. And I'm stating this because when you're talking about those physical powerhouses, you can't really expect to 'counter' them directly because prior damage exists on stuff like Bronzong—which can take everything Rhype does, but doing what in return?—, so Regenerator mons that survive any Choice-locked hit are the closest things to a surefire answer. That said, I wouldn't use Tangy as my first switch into Hera, but that's more because Tangy can't do anything back, rather than not being able to take a beating.

I'm nominating Porygon-Z for A Rank. It has a lot of versatility as well as power, it can boost its stats with Agility or Nasty Plot, or it can run very viable Choice Scarf and Specs sets. It has all the moves it needs to sweep (Tri Attack, Dark Pulse, HP Fighting, Icebeam, Thunderbolt) and a pretty good base 90 speed stat. I'd be interested to hear any other opinions on the matter.

While porygon-z is a great pokemon, I have a little difficulty considering it for a-rank. I love the agility set, but it has 4 moveslot syndrome. Don't run dark pulse, and chandelure ruins you. Fail to run t-bolt, and suicune ruins you. If you don't run hp fighting, snorlax has a field day with you. With various pokemon being able to switch into an agility set once move choice is known, and a scarf or specs set being easier to counter still with at least decent predicting skill, there are some things porygon-z could do better. Regardless, it's great at what it does, it just needs more support than top class attackers such as raikou. I feel high b-rank is appropriate for our virtual buddy. Oh and on a side note, PLEASE run download on your porygon-z sets. A consistent +1 with accurate switch-in is more beneficial than just a powered-up tri-attack.

I wouldn't say PZ has 4 moveslot syndrome. When running Adaptability Tri Attack, Dark Pulse, and HP Fighting are the only moves it needs. Tri Attack for everything that doesn't resist Normal, Dark Pulse for Ghosts, and HP Fighting for anything that resists Normal. I think you're underestimating how powerful Tri Attack is with Adaptability, this is how powerful a Specs Adaptability Tri Attack is:
Tri Attack vs. 252/80 Porygon2 50.8%-59.89%
Tri Attack vs. 208/176+ Snorlax 41.33%-48.73%
Tri Attack vs. 252/252+ Umbreon 45.17%-53.29%
Tri Attack vs. 248/236+ Zapdos 60.57%-71.54%
Tri Attack vs. 252/136+ Roserade 69.75%-82.71%
Tri Attack vs. 248/176+ Slowking 53.94%-63.61%

These are all top tier special walls, and all of them are 2HKO'ed by Tri Attack after Stealth Rocks. While a Life Orb wouldn't reach these levels of damage, it would still really dent any special wall, and heavily damage everything else.

I wouldn't say you should always run Download on Porygon, the majority of sweepers (atleast any with balanced defenses) have their final 4 EVs in SDef for the sole purpose of not letting PZ get a Download boost.

While porygon-z is a great pokemon, I have a little difficulty considering it for a-rank. I love the agility set, but it has 4 moveslot syndrome. Don't run dark pulse, and chandelure ruins you. Fail to run t-bolt, and suicune ruins you. If you don't run hp fighting, snorlax has a field day with you. With various pokemon being able to switch into an agility set once move choice is known, and a scarf or specs set being easier to counter still with at least decent predicting skill, there are some things porygon-z could do better. Regardless, it's great at what it does, it just needs more support than top class attackers such as raikou. I feel high b-rank is appropriate for our virtual buddy. Oh and on a side note, PLEASE run download on your porygon-z sets. A consistent +1 with accurate switch-in is more beneficial than just a powered-up tri-attack.
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 253-300 (62.62 - 74.25%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Am I missing something, or does Suicune have some sort of Fighting-type priority attack to beat Porygon-Z with? It cannot switch in on a +1 SpA Tri Attack (cause the Agility set should be running Download over Adaptability). Do note that's against Crocune, not Offensive Suicune, so that's the bare minimum damage Agility Porygon-Z will be doing.

Porygon-Z is a very dangerous, and highly underrated sweeper that has been overshadowed by Chandelure, and should be an easy choice for A-Rank.

Torndus should not be B-Rank. Flying STAB is amazing in uu and tornadus makes use of it rather well. It gets great coverage with flying anf fighting attacks and can run both physical and special sets, unlike zapdos and togekiss (hustlekiss is nonexsistent). Tornadus also has a base 111 speed, making it one of the fastest pokemon in uu. Prankster taunt, rain dance and bulk up give it major utility. Taunt shuts down wall, rain dance turns nonexsistent sweepers like gorebyss into powerful threats, and bulk up + acrobatics tears through the metagame. Tornadus should go back to A-rank.
EDIT: Aerodactyl seems like it could fit into C-Rank well because of his high speed and powerful life orb boosted attacks.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Porygon-Z's typing (or rather, its lack of resistances) and paper defenses leave a lot to be desired. They make it way too difficult for it to set up. The Specs set makes me cry sometimes because of how ridiculously strong Adaptability Tri Attack is, but even then, Ghost-types are immune and it lacks Speed.

B is where it belongs.

Tornadus is fine in B as well. I've used it a lot lately as most of you know, and in and of itself, its way too inconsistent to be A rank. Its an amazing Kingdra partner, yes, but if it was to be used by itself, its just not good enough. The Bulk Up set is "ok" until you realize nearly every single team carries one of Raikou, Zapdos, or Rhyperior. Not to mention that after that first Acrobatics, its kinda weak...

Togekiss, on the other hand, is one Pokemon I really think should be S-rank. The Stealth Rock weakness doesn't mean much when shit like CB Flygon isn't 2HKOing you, you can paralyze anything faster and then Flinch it to death, and can single-handedly pick apart most Stall teams. It's kinda like Crobat in the sense that nothing in the tier can do what it does and it does it damn near perfectly.

Mew and Raikou should probably switch places, btw. Raikou is nowhere near as good as it used to be due to nearly every good team having a bulky Ground-type and Mew is still a huge threat every single time you face it. Not sure why that change was made ?_?

I don't find it difficult for PZ to set up, and 85/70/75 defensive stats aren't completely terrible (for a sweeper atleast). And you obviously can't deny the sheer power that Porygon-Z has, and what makes it so out of place compared to the rest of A-Tier?

Also I'd be interested to hear your reasoning on why Mew is S-Rank. I haven't used it enough to make any judgements on it, but I'd like to know what makes it S-Tier material.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Porygon-Z is not an A-rank Pokemon. This isn't a bad thing, and it doesn't reflect negatively on its part, but I don't think its the same league as other A-rank Pokemon. I don't think STAB normal is a type you can just spam in UU. There are numerous resists/immunes to Normal that have to take into account, and while i'm sure you can use coverage moves to deal with them, P-Z doesn't get very much chances to switch in, so the fact that it can't dominate as a Specs user with just its STAB alone is kind of a downside. It also has unremarkable speed and worthless defensive typing (which makes it basically impossible to switch it into anything). I know, when Porygon-Z gets in, and its checks are out of the way, it seriously blows up teams. Hell, Snorlax isn't even close to being a Porygon-Z counter because Tri-Attack does too much damage, and can hax it too. But regardless, I don't think thats enough to justify being in A-tier, and it would really hurt the integrity of A-rank if I moved it up.
Mew and Raikou should probably switch places, btw. Raikou is nowhere near as good as it used to be due to nearly every good team having a bulky Ground-type and Mew is still a huge threat every single time you face it. Not sure why that change was made ?_?
I feel that Raikou is definitely overrated in this thread, and you're absolutely right, bulky Ground-types are EVERYWHERE (and if not bulky-ground types then Snorlax). I think that dropping Mew from S-rank was the right decision, I also realize that not doing to same to Raikou is probably a bad idea. So yeah i'll be dropping it, unless anyone has some serious objections.

I actually want to make own proposal. Rhyperior should in A-rank. This Pokemon is an absolute STAPLE in BW UU... pretty much everyone used it in SPL (and for good reason imo). Rhyperior checks a ridiculous amount of dangerous threats and gives you easy access to SR. It's like a 4-1 in Pokemon package, you can't go wrong using this thing. We've all gotten accustomed to SpD Rhyperior(its a really good set), but even something like 252hp/252atk Rhyperior is amazing since it isn't hard walled by Slowbro, and can wreck Shaymin on the switch-in with Megahorn.

So yeah, Rhyperior for A-rank pls.

I'd support Raikou and Rhyperior moving to A. I brought up Umbreon for A rank a little while ago and there didn't seem to be much opposition towards it, I was wondering if anyone would like to discuss that again.

I feel that Crobat should be moved down it just doesn't compare to the other S-rank Pokemon. It's walled very easily Zapdos, Bronzong, Slowbro, Rhyperior etc. all which are common Pokemon. It can't even come in on Heracross as Stone Edge will 2HKO and a Crobat switch in can be seen from a mile away. Same with other Pokemon like Mienshao that have Stone Edge. Am I missing something here? it's a good Pokemon no doubt but Mew is in A rank and it's a lot better than Crobat in my opinion not to mention Crobat hates Stealth Rock.

I agree with moving rhyperior to A-Rank. Rhyperior may be weak to fighting, but it is resistant to fire and electric, two other amazing types in UU. Rhyperior also has the EdgeQuake combo, meaning that only virizion, clydol, flygon and bronzong resist its STAB combo. CB rhyperior can OHKO virizion and flygon with ice punch and claydol is usually OHKO'd by megahorn after SR, so only bronzong is an issue. Rhyperior can also run a bulky set with Stealth Rock and check threats such as Raikou, Zapdos, crobot etc. All in all rhyperior is truly an amazing pokemon when used properly.

I'm also am nominating claydol for C-Rank. Claydol isn't that bad of a pokemon. Claydol takes the least damage from entry hazards. This is important because claydol can come in almost anytime in the match and spin away hazards (watch out for ghost). Claydol also provides SR support; something blastoise and hitmontop cannot do. Claydol may not have foresight, but it can do some damage to ghost types with shadow ball. As absurd as it sounds, life orb modest claydol can always 2HKO cofagrigus with shadow ball. While its typing gives it some big weaknesses, it does give it a resistance to fighting, ground and rock, as well as an immunity to electric. Claydol has many flaws, but team support can remedy this. All in all, claydol is a decent pokemon and definetly deserves to be C-rank.

Quote from Rabid Chipmunk: Weavile is by no means S-Rank. Yeah, +2 Weavile is scary, but good luck ever getting a Swords Dance under your belt when you're as ridiculously easy to take out as Weavile is. Plus, Weavile's typing forces it to run low BP STAB options, and it has 4MSS with regards to Ice Punch and Ice Shard (I mean really, base 125 Speed and it's forced to run priority as it's primary Ice-STAB, that's kind of sad). Personally I'm still of the opinion that Weavile should be dropped to B-Rank, but others disagreed with me and I'll submit to their judgement. It is by no means S-Rank, though.

Weavile doesn't need to run Ice Shard as it's primary Ice Stab, you can run Ice Punch by making people force the switch in order to set up an SD. And Mew should go back to S Rank :L But Mew does have the capabilities to go back to S, if you see it my way. I am bias to this, seeing as how I love Mew, but Mew has so many viable sets, how is it not S? What keeps it from S? You can run the Swords Dance set, viable. Nastly Plot set, viable. Dual Screens, viable. Taunt/ Stealth Rock/ WoW lead set, viable. Baton Pass, viable. I mean it definitely can go S rank, but can someone explain why it dropped? Like really. :3

I'm also nominating claydol for C-Rank. Claydol isn't that bad of a pokemon. Claydol takes the least damage from entry hazards. This is important because claydol can come in almost anytime in the match and spin away hazards (watch out for ghost). Claydol also provides SR support; something blastoise and hitmontop cannot do. Claydol may not have foresight, but it can do some damage to ghost types with shadow ball. As absurd as it sounds, life orb modest claydol can always 2HKO cofagrigus with shadow ball. While its typing gives it some big weaknesses, it does give it a resistance to fighting, ground and rock, as well as an immunity to electric. Claydol has many flaws, but team support can remedy this. All in all, claydol is a decent pokemon and definetly deserves to be C-rank.
Claydol is really, really bad. I still think it deserves D-Rank and here's why.

• Claydol cannot reliably spin whatsoever. Like Hitmontop, it is helpless against all of the spinblockers within the tier, mainly due to its weakness to Shadow Ball, which means that Chandelure and Mismagius can 2HKO it, Cofagrigus dgaf about it, Froslass can actually hit it even harder with Ice Beam or Blizzard, and it isn't getting past Dusclops (though that is irrelavent). However, it is lacking out on Foresight, which is what makes other spinblockers far, far more reliable. Maybe Hitmontop can't beat the spinblockers, but it still pulls off a Rapid Spin. Even then, Mismagius and Froslass do NOT enjoy taking a Close Combat once they have been exposed, as the former takes around 80% from it and Froslass is OHKOed.
  • Its defensive typing is absolutely terrible. Its weak to Heracross's Megahorn, various spinblocker's Shadow Balls, Scalds coming off the dozens of Water-types that inhabit the tier, Seed Flare and Leaf Storm from Shaymin and Roserade, U-turn, hail abuser's Blizzards (yeah Abomasnow makes it even more of a liability), and a bunch of Dark-type move users such as Scrafty and Krookodile.
  • It's not even very bulky. It takes a ton of damage from various moves just like any other Pokemon, such as LO Darmanitan's Flare Blitz straight up OHKOing a 252/0 Claydol, and even stuff that is commonly ridiculed as having a "mediocre attack" such as Ambipom are capable of 2HKOing it with a half decent STAB move.
  • Its so freaking weak. Hitmontop's decently powerful Close Combat coming off of a 95 base attack and Blastoise's rage-inducing Scald and access to phazing moves may deter set-up, but Earthquake coming off of 70 base attack isn't doing very much to anything - it can't even OHKO the rather frail Darmanitan if it doesn't invest. What does this mean? Set-up fodder to the max. Maybe not Raikou, but Kingdra, Heracross, Mew, anything bulky with a Substitute, Scrafty, Tornadus, Bisharp (weak to Earthquake? still set-up fodder), Rhyperior, Porygon-Z, Azelf, Weavile... I think you get the point. Almost anything can set up on Claydol.
Basically, Claydol is pretty mediocre at rapid spinning, is set-up fodder for almost the whole tier, isn't really that bulky, and has a lot of unwanted weaknesses. If you want a Stealth Rock user, there are plenty of other choices. If you want a Stealth Rock user and a Rapid Spinner, I'd rather go to RU and get something such as Kabutops which isn't set-up fodder. Confensating for this seems like a lot of a hassle, making it D-tier worthy.

Edit: Yes to Rhyperior for A, Maybe to Raikou for A, Mew is too difficult to fit on teams to be S-Ranked in my opinion and I haven't seen a single "good" one so far, No to Weavile for S, and why is Cofagrigus still A-Rank when it was supposedly already moved up?

Yeah... Claydol is pretty bad, yet I still use him anyway. If you really want a spinner and stealth rocker in one, he's the only guy in UU capable of doing it. Sure, you can go to RU and bring up Kabutops, but Claydol has much better Sp.Def than Kabutops and other certain boons. While Claydol's typing gives him a bunch of weaknesses, he also has some nice resistances too. He takes minimal damage from entry hazards as he resists stealth rocks and is immune to spikes. He's completely immune to ground and electric moves and he also has a nice fighting resistance.

And yeah.. Claydol is typically set-up fodder. That's why I pack Explosion with my Claydol, so I can get a safe switch-in to something else and to deal a chunk of damage to whoever is setting up.

I'm nominating Scrafty for C rank. It just can't do anything that other fighters can't do and is very outclassed by them. Scrafty's Dragon Dance set is very mediocre, and with even with one DD, it's still slower than Crobat who'll ohko with brave bird and it even speed ties with base 115s. It's attack, 90, is weak for this metagame, it's even worse than Hitmontop's and with one DD, it's still doing less than a Swords Dance'd Cobalion, who has much better resistances and a better defense.
Surprisingly, Scrafty is also not bulky at all, getting 2hkoed easily by Zapdos, Darmanitan, Rhyperior and Victini. It's slow as molasses before a boost so it'll almost aways take a hit and then after a DD it still doesn't ohko much at all and even at +2 it may not always kill a full health Crobat. It really needs +2 to be effective. As if it even have much time to DD up as the only thing that doesn't 2hko it are walls who'll toxic hinder or burn Scrafty. Scrafty just loses 1 on 1 to a lot of Pokemon sadly and even if it can get to +2, it's still not hard to take care of.

Overall while it can sweep teams at times, it's just not worth the trouble to set him up at times as every team has Scarf Darm, Vic, hera,Mienshao, Flygon etc.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
This is going to sound really, really fucking weird, but stay with me.

Qwilfish for B rank.

In my opinion, Qwilfish is one of the most underrated physical walls in the whole entire game. Max Defense Qwilfish can switch into a V-Create and take like, 20-30%. It can also switch into a Heracross' CC and take like, 17%. In the physically offensive, Fighting-move heavy UU metagame that we currently face, Qwilfish is one of the most useful pokemon I've ever used. Spikes and Toxic Spikes combined with intimidate let it switch in on any physical threat and get up free hazards, and explosion prevents it from being complete set-up fodder. A scenario that plays out in about 15% of my UU games is as follows: Qwilfish switches into Scrafty, intimidates, as Scrafty attacks, does fuck-all damage. Opponent goes "amg free setup1!" and sets up four dragon dances as I get all my hazards up. They crunch at +3/+4, do like 55%, and I explode, which is usually a OHKO. (especially because I run it on a hail team, so residual helps me out)
Qwilfish's one drawback is its pitiful SpD, but honestly, it fills a very important niche role as a sweep stopper and spiker, and can very easily form part of a solid defensive core with something like, say, SpD Lefties Zapdos. Access to Explosion/Destiny Bond and a very respectable 85 speed lets it score surprise kills. It also gets Taunt, Haze, and Thunder Wave.
Qwilfish's typing also ensures that the field will be free of toxic spikes. Water/Poison can also be a very helpful typing in its own merits - if played correctly, Qwilfish can predict a switch into a ground type (Read: Nidos) and fire off a surprisingly powerful base 95 stab Waterfall.

I could go on for a couple more paragraphs about how underrated this ugly spiky poison fish is, but I think I'll just add some calcs to let it speak for itself.

252Atk -1 Heracross (Neutral) Close Combat vs 252HP/252Def Qwilfish (+Def): 16% - 19% (54 - 65 HP).

252Atk -1 Victini (+Atk) V-create vs 252HP/252Def Qwilfish (+Def): 23% - 27% (77 - 91 HP).

252Atk -1 Reckless Mienshao (+Atk) Hi Jump Kick vs 252HP/252Def Qwilfish (+Def): 23% - 27% (78 - 93 HP).

0Atk -1 Heavy Metal Bronzong (Neutral) Earthquake vs 252HP/252Def Qwilfish (+Def): 22% - 26% (76 - 90 HP). (just put this one in here because people like to think they can kill me with bronzong as I set up on them :)

252Atk +3 Scrafty (+Atk) Crunch vs 252HP/252Def Qwilfish (+Def): 72% - 85% (241 - 285 HP).

Mew in my opinion can work as a stallbreaker, Taunt/WoW/Roost/Psychic or Seismic Toss allows it cripple many slower threats whilst having the bulk to take on some faster threats. However, Heracross gives it huge problems if it runs Guts, and Crobat is generally a faster and better stallbreaker.

Seconding Qwilfish, that thing is one of the best checks to physical attackers around. That, and Toxic Spikes + Destiny Bond ftw.

I use a choice specs Raikou on one of my main UU teams and it just wrecks once all its resistances are out of the way. Of course one can always predict grass and ground switch ins and that is what I have Aura Sphere and HP ice for.

I have yet to try a Calm Mind set but I will build a team around it soon.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is going to sound really, really fucking weird, but stay with me.

Qwilfish for B rank.

In my opinion, Qwilfish is one of the most underrated physical walls in the whole entire game. Max Defense Qwilfish can switch into a V-Create and take like, 20-30%. It can also switch into a Heracross' CC and take like, 17%. In the physically offensive, Fighting-move heavy UU metagame that we currently face, Qwilfish is one of the most useful pokemon I've ever used. Spikes and Toxic Spikes combined with intimidate let it switch in on any physical threat and get up free hazards, and explosion prevents it from being complete set-up fodder. A scenario that plays out in about 15% of my UU games is as follows: Qwilfish switches into Scrafty, intimidates, as Scrafty attacks, does fuck-all damage. Opponent goes "amg free setup1!" and sets up four dragon dances as I get all my hazards up. They crunch at +3/+4, do like 55%, and I explode, which is usually a OHKO. (especially because I run it on a hail team, so residual helps me out)
Qwilfish's one drawback is its pitiful SpD, but honestly, it fills a very important niche role as a sweep stopper and spiker, and can very easily form part of a solid defensive core with something like, say, SpD Lefties Zapdos. Access to Explosion/Destiny Bond and a very respectable 85 speed lets it score surprise kills. It also gets Taunt, Haze, and Thunder Wave.
Qwilfish's typing also ensures that the field will be free of toxic spikes. Water/Poison can also be a very helpful typing in its own merits - if played correctly, Qwilfish can predict a switch into a ground type (Read: Nidos) and fire off a surprisingly powerful base 95 stab Waterfall.

I could go on for a couple more paragraphs about how underrated this ugly spiky poison fish is, but I think I'll just add some calcs to let it speak for itself.
I completely support your statement of moving Qwilfish to B-Rank. Not only does it have a great movepool, but it's typing and ability allow it function as a surprisingly sturdy Physical wall in the UU metagame. It is also somewhat powerful with a base 95 Attack. It also has a good Speed stat for a wall.

I'm nominating Scrafty for C rank. It just can't do anything that other fighters can't do and is very outclassed by them. Scrafty's Dragon Dance set is very mediocre, and with even with one DD, it's still slower than Crobat who'll ohko with brave bird and it even speed ties with base 115s. It's attack, 90, is weak for this metagame, it's even worse than Hitmontop's and with one DD, it's still doing less than a Swords Dance'd Cobalion, who has much better resistances and a better defense.
Surprisingly, Scrafty is also not bulky at all, getting 2hkoed easily by Zapdos, Darmanitan, Rhyperior and Victini. It's slow as molasses before a boost so it'll almost aways take a hit and then after a DD it still doesn't ohko much at all and even at +2 it may not always kill a full health Crobat. It really needs +2 to be effective. As if it even have much time to DD up as the only thing that doesn't 2hko it are walls who'll toxic hinder or burn Scrafty. Scrafty just loses 1 on 1 to a lot of Pokemon sadly and even if it can get to +2, it's still not hard to take care of.

Overall while it can sweep teams at times, it's just not worth the trouble to set him up at times as every team has Scarf Darm, Vic, hera,Mienshao, Flygon etc.
Scrafty doesn't only have a DD set you know... like the Bulk Up set, which only needs a few Special Defensive EVs, and can become an extremely effective Bulky Sweeper. The DD set itself has awesome merits, its bulk lets it set up on many pokemon and after a few boosts, it is VERY strong and REALLY fast as well. Keep it in B-Rank, or even move it to A-Rank.

I completely disagree. Stalbreaker crobat is 2HKO'd by life orb zen headbutt on the switch and CB crobat is OHKO'd after SR. Scrafty has one major advantage that other fighting types don't have: near-perfect coverage with its STABs, meaning that only heracross can claim to resist its STABs (and heracross is OHKO'd by a life orb zen headbutt after SR and a layer of spikes). DD isn't scrafty's only way to boost, as bulk up scrafty is very effective too. It can shrug off status with shed skin, while recovering hp with drain punch and rest. Scrafty also has 2 great abilities in moxie and shed skin. All in all, scrafty is an amazing pokemon when used properly and should stay in B-Rank (or even move up to A-Rank, but I'm going a bit too far).

EDIT: I have yet to use qwilfish, but it seems good on paper.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

How about no.

Scrafty stands out from the rest of his Fighting brethren with his excellent STAB coverage. He has a decent 90 Attack to boot, and with Moxie and DD, he can blow teams off. Crunch+Ice Punch makes sure that the two most popular physical walls in the tier, Slowbro and Gligar, are NOT safe against this thing. Scrafty is decently bulky, so he can set up and also do well. Stallbreaker Scrafty with Taunt+DD is excellent, shitting on stall all day. BU is very good and is a good bulky sweeper. Crobat and Heracross shit on it, sure, but Scrafty is very dangerous and is not to be underestimated.

Therefore, Scrafty should be, at worst, B-Rank.

Supporting Qwil for B-Rank too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)