Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sun Mega Mode and Moon Mega Mode? So, the purple is for the moon. That would be interesting and a step beyond beyond but I have my doubts. Probably what DHR-107 said. Maybe something involving possession too.
Snowballing off of what DHR-107 stated, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the shadowy/corrupted Mega symbol will be a feature in the new games. The movies like to add on new mechanics for characters and Pokémon all the time that are addressed differently in-game, like how Kyurem from the Keldeo movie changes between his three forms at will without needing Reshiram or Zekrom nearby...or even how Keldeo from the same movie only changes to his Resolute Forme when he wants to use Secret Sword.

As long as we're making inferences, they showed Alakazam and Glalie MEvoing back-to-back (in the same background and lighting), so my first guess is that the villain figured out how to hack his keystone to MEvo multiple Pokémon at the same time.

But, I mean, it's just Mega Evolution. We already have the in-game mechanic that corresponds to what they're doing in the movie...unless they have some plan to, I dunno, introduce Shadow Mega Pokémon...it's hard not to go off the deep end with this one...

Side notes - the dual-colored heart in Magearna's chest is called the Soul Heart. The baddy with the MegaZam and Glalie is a/the morally corrupt minister of the Azoth Kingdom.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What's up with the purple sorta mega symbol?
As Yveltal said, I think it's just they guy finding a way to force multiple Pokemon to Mega Evolve, I doubt it's a game mechanic (guys, I know we're starved for game news, but come on, let's not start jumping at every new thing being a possible new mechanic, especially if it comes from the anime).

Sorry to burst the bubble, but I don't think so.
Masuda frequented in Shanghai, London and France this year.
He did not regularly visit Hawaii this year. He made at least 3 trips to Shanghai though.
Exellent, this means it's still possible it might be based off of Britain. A pokemon game set in Great Britain is a game i am getting...

Nothing new Pokémon-wise was mentioned, although Pokken was featured. GF have been developing a solitare-horse racing fusion game; I'm not sure if that was generally known or not, though. I don't really pay attention to their sidegames.

Last edited:
Nothing new Pokémon-wise was mentioned, although Pokken was featured. GF have been developing a solitare-horse racing fusion game; I'm not sure if that was known or not, though. I don't really pay attention to their sidegames.
We knew, same way we knew about Detective Pikachu and forgot about it soon after. Good to see it still exists though.

Solatiba/Pocket Card Jockey came out in Japan in 2013, roughly. It was the only legit "OH MY GOD" moment of the Direct, though.

So here's a theory I ran into this evening, that you might have seen as well. I personally feel that with these games having bucked so many trends already trying to predict the future using the past is probably not the best idea, but then again, there is actual evidence for this. Possibly.

So, notice that the Japanese logos for XY contain the Mega Evolution symbol:

And that the Japanese ORAS logos contain each Orb:

Both games contained a new mechanic that went "beyond evolution"--Mega Evolution in XY, Primal Reversion in ORAS--and the symbols for these mechanics are contained within their Japanese logos. So, notice how the Japanese logos for our new games contain a certain symbol as well, those little diamonds in the center?

Some have gone on to say that those look like Burst Hearts, from that manga that still hasn't made its American debut, which allow humans to combine with Pokemon. And so the theory goes that something Ash-Greninja-esque could be making its appearance in Gen VII --recall that it is explicitly stated that Ash-Greninja is not a Mega, and is thus something else entirely. Also recall that, per official sources, the Ash-Greninja thing is explicitly stated to have happened once before, long ago, in Kalos. So maybe, possibly, stronger evidence for a tieback to Kalos in some way, as a second region a-la the Johto games or something else?

Anyway that's a theory I wish I'd come up with, although it is one I'm a bit skeptical about, but nonetheless one of the stronger and more substantial ones I've seen by far (although that's not saying much). Thoughts?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So here's a theory I ran into this evening, that you might have seen as well. I personally feel that with these games having bucked so many trends already trying to predict the future using the past is probably not the best idea, but then again, there is actual evidence for this. Possibly.

So, notice that the Japanese logos for XY contain the Mega Evolution symbol:

And that the Japanese ORAS logos contain each Orb:

Both games contained a new mechanic that went "beyond evolution"--Mega Evolution in XY, Primal Reversion in ORAS--and the symbols for these mechanics are contained within their Japanese logos. So, notice how the Japanese logos for our new games contain a certain symbol as well, those little diamonds in the center?

Some have gone on to say that those look like Burst Hearts, from that manga that still hasn't made its American debut, which allow humans to combine with Pokemon. And so the theory goes that something Ash-Greninja-esque could be making its appearance in Gen VII--recall that it is explicitly stated that Ash-Greninja is not a Mega, and is thus something else entirely. Also recall that, per official sources, the Ash-Greninja thing is explicitly stated to have happened once before, long ago, in Kalos. So maybe, possibly, stronger evidence for a tieback to Kalos in some way, as a second region a-la the Johto games or something else?

Anyway that's a theory I wish I'd come up with, one of the stronger and more substantial ones I've seen by far (although that's not saying much). Thoughts?
We've discussed this before and pointed out them looking like Burst Crystals. It ended with all of us shrugging our shoulders as we have no clue because we have no information other then "there are crystals in the logo just like the Mega Evolution symbol in XY & the Primal Orbs in ORAS". Until we get more info all this is is speculation.

On the idea maybe they're bringing over a form of the "Burst" idea: Already? GF, are you so that easily bored with something you've created the generation before you immediately need to make a new toy to keep you occupied? How about you work and play around with the Mega Evolution idea some more, getting a firm handle on what you want to do with the idea and players having it feel commonplace, before moving on to a new toy. Like even if this is a just another form of Mega Evolution, if its anything remotely like Burst or Ash-Greninja it'll obviously be different from Mega Evolution as we knot it so it might as well be a new thing or you should have just made a normal Mega Evolution.

My thoughts: I don't think it has anything to do with a battling mechanic, at least not directly. Notice how they're the color of the OPPOSITE version, the yellow-orange Sun has a blue crystal and the blue Moon has the yellow-orange crystal. I don't know why, but this mismatch makes me think it'll have something to do with the story, like you'll have to collect these crystals for some reason (maybe relating to the Legendary of the game).

Snowballing off of what DHR-107 stated, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the shadowy/corrupted Mega symbol will be a feature in the new games. The movies like to add on new mechanics for characters and Pokémon all the time that are addressed differently in-game, like how Kyurem from the Keldeo movie changes between his three forms at will without needing Reshiram or Zekrom nearby...or even how Keldeo from the same movie only changes to his Resolute Forme when he wants to use Secret Sword.

As long as we're making inferences, they showed Alakazam and Glalie MEvoing back-to-back (in the same background and lighting), so my first guess is that the villain figured out how to hack his keystone to MEvo multiple Pokémon at the same time.

But, I mean, it's just Mega Evolution. We already have the in-game mechanic that corresponds to what they're doing in the movie...unless they have some plan to, I dunno, introduce Shadow Mega Pokémon...it's hard not to go off the deep end with this one...

Side notes - the dual-colored heart in Magearna's chest is called the Soul Heart. The baddy with the MegaZam and Glalie is a/the morally corrupt minister of the Azoth Kingdom.
To be fair, it is the anime. Where Ash beat the Mossdeep Gym by having his Swellow fly Pikachu into a thunderstorm so they could get Thunder Armor and not take damage from anything. Double Mega Evolution doesnt seem like a stretch.

Also, I recall them mentioning that Ash Greninja is supposed to be like Mega Evolution, so i kind of doubt that too. (Unless they do something like that for the starters... But that may mean forgoing Trainer Customization, sadly.) I would be fine with that sort of thing being anime-only since the implementation in-game seems a little excessive, given that it is doing the same thing as a mega evolution.

Edit: Also I still doubt that this will have anything to do with Gen 6. The main storyline wrapped up pretty nicely by the end of the game, and while there are possibly a few things possibly unexplored, I don't think persuing those threads is enough to warrant a serious devotion to wrapping them up. Heck, if Gen 5 has two characters with unique sprites that do absolutely nothing story-related, despite being pretty important to Team Plasma and N, then Gen 6 can have a few mysteries left unsolved.

Last edited:
Edit: Also I still doubt that this will have anything to do with Gen 6. The main storyline wrapped up pretty nicely by the end of the game, and while there are possibly a few things possibly unexplored, I don't think persuing those threads is enough to warrant a serious devotion to wrapping them up. Heck, if Gen 5 has two characters with unique sprites that do absolutely nothing story-related, despite being pretty important to Team Plasma and N, then Gen 6 can have a few mysteries left unsolved.
There's a bit of a difference between Team Plasma having bit characters with unique sprites and leaving one of Kalos' few legendaries with absolutely no exposure especially when it's clearly the third member of a trio and has been shown to have at least three more forms.

Magearna's obvious poke ball similarities make me wonder if we might see the debut of new poke balls or possibly the return of acorn balls.
I'd love to have Friend and Heavy balls again.
Every other Kurt pokeballs suck though...
EDIT:
To make sure this post is on topic:
I just can't see a game mechanic similar to Re:Burst. I just can't. How will GF create the 3D models for all the different PokeHuman fusions?
Let's say that Fusions are a thing; how will your Pokehuman Gardevior/Lucario/etc be differentiated from the opponent's Pokehuman Gardevior/Lucario/etc?
The thought of it, boggles my mind.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I think I'd honestly stop playing if they added anything akin to ReBurst... Ashninja is already pushing it for my tastes. Stick with mega's for a bit longer GF as Pikachu315111 said. I don't want to have to learn another massive mechanic change so soon after the last. At this point, we will likely be able to have a Mega, Primal and Burst mon on our teams...

EJ190 Chances are it will only be for specific Pokemon, just like the Megas were... So it might not be that difficult to model, even so, it sounds naff as all hell. If this is the direction they want to go, I'm kinda worried going forwards.

As someone who lives in Scotland; if we get a UK-based region I'll be disappointed if we don't get a Glasgow-based city with a tutor that can teach your steel-type Pokémon how to shank.

Also, friendly reminder the nintendo stream's in 10 minutes.
That would be cool. If it is a UK based region I wonder if it will have Northern Ireland...this leads me to think the best pokemon game would be based upon both the UK and Ireland.

There's a bit of a difference between Team Plasma having bit characters with unique sprites and leaving one of Kalos' few legendaries with absolutely no exposure especially when it's clearly the third member of a trio and has been shown to have at least three more forms.
Discounting stuff like the legendary birds and cats, which generally have little exposure in-game (Lake Trio is the only trio I can think of that gets mentioned in the game story-wise, with Suicune being the exception concerning the legendary cats) then yeah, Zygarde is an anomoly as far as that is concerned. That said, Ho-oh and Lugia didnt really have much story significance in gen 2, and they were on the cover. HG/SS did work them into the game a bit better, but those are the remakes, not different games. Plus even then, it still seemed more like a side-story than the main focus.

Now, they could do a side-story like the Delta Episode. But Zygarde's pokedex indicates that it really just cares about Kalos's ecosystem, so why would it be in the new region? Gen 7 will be taking place in a new land and not Kalos. So what if it's next door? Then adding in the Kalos region for a post-game story that takes about 1 - 3 hours seems a waste. If they go the Johto/Kanto route, then the new region may feel a little compressed, similar to Johto. That's assuming there is a storyline that could center around Zygarde that is worth telling in-game. Given that the anime seems to be doing a good job, I doubt it though, especially if all the formes are supposed to be included. At best it turning into Gundam Forme ala mega evolution/primal reversion is possible, but that would be the only way I could see it working out elegantly.

Discounting stuff like the legendary birds and cats, which generally have little exposure in-game (Lake Trio is the only trio I can think of that gets mentioned in the game story-wise, with Suicune being the exception concerning the legendary cats) then yeah, Zygarde is an anomoly as far as that is concerned. That said, Ho-oh and Lugia didnt really have much story significance in gen 2, and they were on the cover. HG/SS did work them into the game a bit better, but those are the remakes, not different games. Plus even then, it still seemed more like a side-story than the main focus.

Now, they could do a side-story like the Delta Episode. But Zygarde's pokedex indicates that it really just cares about Kalos's ecosystem, so why would it be in the new region? Gen 7 will be taking place in a new land and not Kalos. So what if it's next door? Then adding in the Kalos region for a post-game story that takes about 1 - 3 hours seems a waste. If they go the Johto/Kanto route, then the new region may feel a little compressed, similar to Johto. That's assuming there is a storyline that could center around Zygarde that is worth telling in-game. Given that the anime seems to be doing a good job, I doubt it though, especially if all the formes are supposed to be included. At best it turning into Gundam Forme ala mega evolution/primal reversion is possible, but that would be the only way I could see it working out elegantly.
What if it IS the Kalos region, just a NEW part of it?

Late to everything but I'm a bit disappointed there won't be a Pokemon Z. I dislike how the third installment is an obvious cash grab but the region and story of XY felt underdeveloped. If, for example, they had chosen to move on to a new gen after B/W, I would felt better about it b/c B/W felt more fleshed out and Kyurem was the only major aspect of the story that still needed to be developed. That said, I am excited for a new gen.

I also don't think we'll be getting many new megas. Every gen has its defining battle mechanism (ie Gen 4 physical/special split, Gen 5 hidden abilities, etc.). One of Gen 6's main selling points was megas and thus we received a good amount of them this gen. Now that the we are moving to a new gen, there will likely be some new selling point that they'll be pushing instead of megas.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just can't see a game mechanic similar to Re:Burst. I just can't. How will GF create the 3D models for all the different PokeHuman fusions?
Let's say that Fusions are a thing; how will your Pokehuman Gardevior/Lucario/etc be differentiated from the opponent's Pokehuman Gardevior/Lucario/etc?
The thought of it, boggles my mind.
Well, they did it with the trainer model in XY, so if they restrain themselves to a few Pokémon I don't think it would be beyond possible. Although I really wouldn't like to see it happen, I can see them adding "trainer lookalike" burst modes to popular and humanoid 'mons such as Lucario, Machamp, Weavile and, as demonstrated by the Anime, Greninja. It doesn't sound any harder than adding a hairstyle asset to their models, and having parts of their texture reflect the colours of the trainer's current outfit.

You wouldn't need to "fuse" anything either. Just dig up the good ol' "Special bond between trainer and Pokémon" explanation again, giving the Pokémon a resemblance to its trainer in certain situations by way of a couple cosmetic features. It's so easy it's almost scary.

What if it IS the Kalos region, just a NEW part of it?
What, like Black2/White2? Then why not make it part of Gen 6 in that case?

Sweetstack i am curious as to what gives you a feeling that Kalos is incomplete? If it is mostly Zygarde, why would it be more okay for Kyurem to not get more lore vs Zygarde not getting more lore? Is it the post-game being fairly anemic? That aspect bothers me a bit, but doesnt make me feel that the region as a whole is incomplete. You can get a sense of what the culture is like, the locations are fairly neat, and the characters have some nice personality. The bgm for the towns is mostly forgettable, imo, with only a couple of good tracks. (At least, it wasnt until halfway through the game before I realized I wasnt paying much attention to the soundtrack.) The story, while the pacing is a little wonky at times, works out alright. It goes over the backstory pretty nicely, explains the motivations for the characters well, and wraps everything story-related up at the end. Imo: Kalos is pretty much complete.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
i am curious as to what gives you a feeling that Kalos is incomplete?
Off the top of my head, at least:

- Couriway Town having a railway station with tracks going off in both directions, seemingly to nowhere from nowhere.
- The Ghost Girl in Lumiose City (and the identically-modeled girl in Hotel Richissime who mumbles something about "hearing the elevator", plus that building where only floors 1,2 and 4 can be accessed - there's clearly an elevator-related mystery left to solve).
- Kalos Power Plant having several doors but only one which can be opened.
- The Chamber of Emptiness being all empty (then again, what would one expect...).
- One of Kalos' only three in-game legendaries having several alternate formes that were not addressed in the Kalos games.
- Big Empty Buildings: Kalos Edition: The Tower of Mastery, Prism Tower, Dendemille Windmill, Shabboneau Castle, Ambrette Aquarium... the region is littered with landmarks with exactly zero purpose (the Lumiose City Gym could have been in any building whatsoever, whereas Prism Tower would provide a lookout point over the entire region - talk about wasted effort to not have any windows whatsoever in the Gym).
- "I'm going to go for help. Wait in the usual place" - mysterious message hidden in Lumiose Station.
- Rivers criss-crossing the entire region, connecting several cities and even intersecting Lumiose City, but exactly none of them are ever used for any transport. They're even on the Town Map, showing that they're quite deliberately connecting the settlements of Kalos, but have no use whatsoever.
- Cyllage City's racing track.
- Thousand Arrows/Thousand Waves.
- AZ's Floette being coded into the game, but not released. The move Light of Ruin shares this predicament, as it is Floette-E's signature move.
- That Rhyhorn Racing track visible (but inaccessible) from Route 22.
- The last one is a bit of a stretch, but I believe it has enough validity to warrant further attention: There's a big mountain in the center of Kalos. The middle of the region is just empty space, with two quite prominent natural features dead center in the map. It looks even more prominent on the Town Map. A big mountain south of a big forest, on a line straight south from Lumiose City. The river connecting Santalune City and Camphrier Town goes right between the two. That location feels way too prominent not to have any features in the game. It could have been a beta location for the Pokémon League, though, moved to its current location to better suit the theme of coming back where it all started after beating the eighth gym.

At a stretch, I'd even put "Coumarine City having a monorail for no good reason" in there too, though that could have been the developers' effort not to have to code a cliffside town, or a progression obstacle that was dummied out (Face it, half of us were expected to be greeted with "The monorail is currently broken" when we entered that building).

Anyway, the conclusion is clear: Kalos promised a lot more than it did deliver on. Now, I don't know how many of those were ever planned to be elaborated on, or what was cut from the game during development. But fact remains that there's a whole lot of loose ends all over Kalos, which could have been explored very well in a sequel game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)