Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like Lake Valor committing genocide on all this mystic cunts. Seriously though that was really messed up, and if they did that again PETA would be gunning for them.
Not really much of a concern since PETA is an American organization and Japanese based companies care very little about extranational critics. Besides, PETA already guns for them every few years. Remember Pokemon Black and Blue? It wasn't even their first parody game on the franchise.

They mean that the chosen base move could determine the properties of the Z move produced. That eliminates the need for multiple Z crystals while still allowing for diverse Z moves (ie 36 offensive Z-moves instead of 36 Z Crystals).

[in use]
> Whismur is in battle and knows
- Tackle
- Growl
- Uproar

> Activate Z-move using Normilium Z, and three options are given since all three are Normal moves; the options are Physical, Status, and Special respectively.

Not too hard to code either. If it's true, that would mean a minimum of 54 non-unique Z-Moves between just 18 crystals.

I'm really holding into something like this being true, even if it's only limited to damaging moves I still think it's a good idea to address the special/physical split and make more animations. You can argue that 30+ attacking animations is already quite a lot to process and that so many of them might "cheapen" the feel of power than Z-moves give you. Personally I think they already threw that special feeling out of the window when they decided to make 18 generic z-crystals :D

The possibilities that could be done if this speculation proved to be good:
- Special Z-crystals like the Snorlium Z could allow you to use "generic Z-moves" AND open the door to Pulverizing Pancake (effectively making your coverage moves very powerful), this would also explain the need of having a particular move linked with the signature Z-moves as opposed to using any move from the same type (Snorlax could then use hypersprint and pancake...).
- Using Several Z-moves in a single battle if the Z-crystal allows it.

I don't necessarily think any of the above is true though, specially the second possibility that goes against the idea of using all your power in a single move. But it's still some design space left by the idea of several z-moves per crystal.

I'm really liking the amount of depth offered by some of the new Pokemon's descriptions on the official site. For example, Passimian's provides insight into their personality, behavioural traits etc. Receiver is a pretty interesting Ability with cool applications for battle, tying into the ruby/football teamwork theme. But this also got me thinking about their skills with handling Berries, and in turn the potential for another new Ability. Granted this is pure speculation, and I'm aware that the chances of a new Pokemon receiving 2 brand new Abilities would be incredibly slim. But anyway, something along the lines of this would be really neat:

Berry Boost: Doubles the effect of Berries consumed by Passimian and its allies.
Or y'know, Gluttony could be the obvious, way more boring option.

But this also got me thinking about their skills with handling Berries, and in turn the potential for another new Ability. Granted this is pure speculation, and I'm aware that the chances of a new Pokemon receiving 2 brand new Abilities would be incredibly slim. But anyway, something along the lines of this would be really neat:

Berry Boost: Doubles the effect of Berries consumed by Passimian and its allies.
Or y'know, Gluttony could be the obvious, way more boring option.
Or maybe a sig move that has a different effect depending on which berry it holds. I can see it now, Fruitball. Still like your concept though.

Sadly, GF will probably just give it Fling and call it a day. However, what would be neat is if the melon that it holds is a unique item like Marowak's bone. It could increase a stat more drastically in a pinch, or perhaps increase the power of its projectile moves since Passimian are by nature incredibly skilled at throwing precisely that kind of melon.

EDIT: or something more simple like an attack boost

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Was watching an interesting non-Pokemon video comparing the sizes of planets, stars, and beyond.
As the video pulled further and further out something caught my eye: Laniakea. What is Laniakea? Well its our home supercluster, a cluster of galaxies with one of them being the Milky Way galaxy (our galaxy). Why did it catch my eye? Because it's a Hawaiian word. "Laniakea" means "immeasurable heaven". The video than keeps on pulling further out, to the cosmic web, the universe, and finally the (idea of a) multiverse!

Then that got me thinking. Solgaleo and Lunala have a heavy space theme. The Ultra Beasts are from another dimension. Alchemy was about understanding (and trying to control) the laws of the universe. What if while doing research for Sun & Moon's Hawaiian basis GF learned about Laniakea and that's where they started to formulate an interdimensional plot line which eventually became the Ultra Beast's story? A story of parallel galaxies or even universes. Now I'm not saying the Laniakea supercluster will have anything to do with the story, though it's something which just caught my attention and thought to share.

Last edited:

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have we heard any news on stats for Pokemon Sun and Moon? It's hard to determine what may or may not be competitively viable as new typings/moves/abilities are introduced, but with stats still yet unknown then that could lead us on into thinking some Pokemon look like they would see a lot of play in the new metagame; when really they just have the tools, not the actual numbers.

There will be news on the 4th October (Tuesday), if I remember right.

And I don´t think we will hear anything about stats before getting the actual game(or datamining the demo...).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Have we heard any news on stats for Pokemon Sun and Moon? It's hard to determine what may or may not be competitively viable as new typings/moves/abilities are introduced, but with stats still yet unknown then that could lead us on into thinking some Pokemon look like they would see a lot of play in the new metagame; when really they just have the tools, not the actual numbers.
As Durengardnit said, we're never told base stats. That's something that GF never tells anyone, usually they're found out via strategy guides or someone datamining the game. At best they'll say "this Pokemon is strong", "this Pokemon is able to take hits", "this Pokemon is fast", "this Pokemon is slow", etc.. You sort of have to read in-between the lines of what they tell you and even then that could mismatch what we end of getting because I swear sometimes the design departments don't speak to one another.

That said I do sometimes wish they did give us sort of a vague "stat" bar, you know just bars labelled HP, Attack, Defence, Sp.Atk, Sp.Def, & Speed and show us comparatively how this Pokemon's stats match up to each other. Now the catch is there won't be any numbers and each will be an individual case (basically their highest stat will always be the max so you can't compare two Pokemon's stats with one another), but at least it'll be something to give us an idea how that Pokemon would play.

As Durengardnit said, we're never told base stats. That's something that GF never tells anyone, usually they're found out via strategy guides or someone datamining the game. At best they'll say "this Pokemon is strong", "this Pokemon is able to take hits", "this Pokemon is fast", "this Pokemon is slow", etc.. You sort of have to read in-between the lines of what they tell you and even then that could mismatch what we end of getting because I swear sometimes the design departments don't speak to one another.

That said I do sometimes wish they did give us sort of a vague "stat" bar, you know just bars labelled HP, Attack, Defence, Sp.Atk, Sp.Def, & Speed and show us comparatively how this Pokemon's stats match up to each other. Now the catch is there won't be any numbers and each will be an individual case (basically their highest stat will always be the max so you can't compare two Pokemon's stats with one another), but at least it'll be something to give us an idea how that Pokemon would play.
Well, with the lead me as, they mentioned which stats they excelled in. I haven't heard anything like that in sun moon though...

But then there's always the knights that fly around at high speeds with a speed of 20

I second the idea with stat bars, they could be located in the Pokédex. After all, they did do this in Pokémon Stadium 2.

Don't we sort of have something like that already on the official website, though? Granted, it's not actually present in-game, but it is there for anyone to see.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
But then there's always the knights that fly around at high speeds with a speed of 20
I'm guessing you're talking about Escavalier. Well it could be that the Speed stat is more of a reactionary stat, who is first to act instead of how fast the Pokemon can get. Maybe Escavalier can fly at high speeds, but it needs to build up the speed first from a miserable reaction time.

I second the idea with stat bars, they could be located in the Pokédex. After all, they did do this in Pokémon Stadium 2.
Don't we sort of have something like that already on the official website, though? Granted, it's not actually present in-game, but it is there for anyone to see.
On the official site's dex, yes, but not for the Sun & Moon Pokemon.

So I did a little digging through the Japanese trailers (because more often than not, the English ones don't show the HP bar) and using the damage calc I was able to determine the ranges for the HP stat of some pokemon. Doesn't tell us much, and I'm assuming nothing changes in terms of formula from Gen 6 to 7. Its not full stats, nor is it 100% accurate, but its a start.

Pokemon..................0 IV 0 EV............31 IV 0 EV...............31 IV 252 EV

A-Raticate.................88-86..................72-71........................40

A-Vulpix.....................43.......................27 ........................ N/A

A-Ninetails..................78......................63...........................31

A-Raichu.....................69....................54-53.........................22

A-Executor..............107-106...................91.........................60-59

Rowlet......................89-80..................74-65......................42-33

Litten........................53-50..................37-35.......................6-3

Popplio......................63-60..................47-45.....................16-13

Wishiwashi..................55.....................40-39.......................8-7

Cutifly.......................52-50..................36-35........................7

Salandit.....................49-48..................34-33........................2

Minior........................72-71..................56-55.....................25-24

Comfey......................59-58..................44-42.....................12-11

Oranguru......................105....................90..........................58

Lycanroc-Midday.............81.....................65..........................34

Bruxish.........................82..................67-66.........................35

Palossand......................93...................77............................46

Gumshoos...................98-97................82-81.......................49-48

Togedemaru................76-75................61-60.......................29-28

Pyukumuku................102-100..............86-85.......................55-53

Turtonator...................71-70................56-55.......................24-23

Stufful.........................80-78................65-63.......................33-31

Zygarde 10%..................65....................50............................18

Zygarde 100%...............231....................216..........................184

Tapu-koko......................85....................70............................38

Solgaleo........................152...................137 .........................105

Last edited:
This may be old news, but Oranguru is apparently based on the mythical Satori, which could read human minds. That could explain the appearance of a calm orangutan. At least they didn't turn it into a doggie.

Also, Passimian is a pun on prosimian, hence the lemur-like design. I'm really surprised that we've been getting many of the "wishlist" designs this generation.

So I did a little digging through the Japanese trailers (because more often than not, the English ones don't show the HP bar) and using the damage calc I was able to determine the ranges for the HP stat of some pokemon. Doesn't tell us much, and I'm assuming nothing changes in terms of formula from Gen 6 to 7. Its not full stats, nor is it 100% accurate, but its a start.

Pokemon..................0 IV 0 EV............31 IV 0 EV...............31 IV 252 EV

A-Raticate.................88-86..................72-71........................40

A-Vulpix.....................43.......................27 ........................ N/A

A-Ninetails..................78......................63...........................31

A-Raichu.....................69....................54-53.........................22

A-Executor..............107-106...................91.........................60-59

Rowlet......................89-80..................74-65......................42-33

Litten........................53-50..................37-35.......................6-3

Popplio......................63-60..................47-45.....................16-13

Wishiwashi..................55.....................40-39.......................8-7

Cutifly.......................52-50..................36-35........................7

Salandit.....................49-48..................34-33........................2

Minior........................72-71..................56-55.....................25-24

Comfey......................59-58..................44-42.....................12-11

Oranguru......................105....................90..........................58

Lycanroc-Midday.............81.....................65..........................34

Bruxish.........................82..................67-66.........................35

Palossand......................93...................77............................46

Gumshoos...................98-97................82-81.......................49-48

Togedemaru................76-75................61-60.......................29-28

Pyukumuku................102-100..............86-85.......................55-53

Turtonator...................71-70................56-55.......................24-23

Stufful.........................80-78................65-63.......................33-31

Zygarde 10%..................65....................50............................18

Zygarde 100%...............231....................216..........................184

Tapu-koko......................85....................70............................38

Solgaleo........................152...................137 .........................105
Way to put in some work, man! Notable values are Solgaleo's health, which is pretty respectable, sitting around the range of Lugia and Ho-oh at worst health, and Giritina at best health, and at average health being around Xerneas, Yveltal, Kyurem-White, and Arceus. That plus the ability means it could be pretty tanky with the right stats. Zygarde 100%'s health is absolutely OBSCENE, even at the worst possible values, and this is even more interesting considering that you have to get Zygarde 50% to half health to activate that, and that's going to go...oddly with how the change takes place. Is it just max health, or max and current that changes? Alolan Exeggutor is also an interesting case, because its health is likely close to the original (I doubt they're dropping it 30 points), so maybe this could give us more info on what other pokemon's EVs/IVs are? It's likely they're not using 31 IV 252 EV anyway, because some of those values are....tiny. 2 for Salandit, 6-3 for Litten, etc. Anyway, thanks for calculating all these!

Way to put in some work, man! Notable values are Solgaleo's health, which is pretty respectable, sitting around the range of Lugia and Ho-oh at worst health, and Giritina at best health, and at average health being around Xerneas, Yveltal, Kyurem-White, and Arceus. That plus the ability means it could be pretty tanky with the right stats. Zygarde 100%'s health is absolutely OBSCENE, even at the worst possible values, and this is even more interesting considering that you have to get Zygarde 50% to half health to activate that, and that's going to go...oddly with how the change takes place. Is it just max health, or max and current that changes? Alolan Exeggutor is also an interesting case, because its health is likely close to the original (I doubt they're dropping it 30 points), so maybe this could give us more info on what other pokemon's EVs/IVs are? It's likely they're not using 31 IV 252 EV anyway, because some of those values are....tiny. 2 for Salandit, 6-3 for Litten, etc. Anyway, thanks for calculating all these!
Thanks dude! If I remember correctly, both your current health and max health transform when you go into 100% (must resist calling it perfect form). I mostly kept the absurdly small values in for consistency sake, but yea, I would be peeved if salandit had a base 2 HP stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)