The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gdamn it, this thread was posted before I even battled on shoddy and got pranked. :(

In essence, reading about this has been hilarious-- but I really wish it didn't get spoiled before I had the chance to actually run into it. Next year post the explanation thread a few hours later Doug.

edit: In retrospect, I thought there was something weird when in PR all the suggestions to simply "toss out battles" instead of out-right over turning them (which would have been more reasonable, but screwed with this prank) were glazed over without much response. At the time, I figured "aww well, they're just talking about too much other stuff to bother with what I said," but maybe I should have keyed in a bit more there. I'm pretty gullible. :P

Also even being in PR, I totally got bored by the discussion and turned into one of the cast's "uninterested smogoners" lol

This is clearly the best April Fools prank I've ever heard of. If I'm honest, the fact that there is also a huge debate in PR about implementing acid weather and staying true to the cartridges confused me at first, but this whole thing was so elaborate and was over such a long period of time that I thought it had to be real....

Well done to everyone involved, when I saw this thread, I was speechless!!

I was gonna quit playing Shoddy if it was real, honestly, and would just do WiFi.

Maybe you went a -bit- too far, but good joke. LoL nice. :P...

You mean bastards, ahaha!

Thank GOD this wasn't real. I was seriously considering things such as:
-Quitting ShoddyBattle
-Getting everyone I know to join Smogon and send the leaders of this project PMs asking for at least another ladder
-Making an online petition
-Going to the library, making like 10 Shoddy accounts, and spam anti-Anti-Hax Clause messages
-Attempting to ladder with Magikarp, Delibird, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, and Lopunny, all holding a Focus Sash and only knowing Splash. (I am dead serious, scarily enough)
Surely smogon would never have held up to the intese onslaught of these serious actions.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Come on everyone, I said I was going to start battling. Seriously, that's your number one clue it was a joke! :pimp:

Lol DM that made me suspicious

Well done team Doug, but for some reason I never had any cheap battles, whoever won had won =[

man I just want to say thank GOD this wasn't real... so i guess that means you guys got me pretty good haha

like seriously for a while i thought everybody intelligent on smogon had just suddenly gone completely crazy

edit: the only thing that tipped me off that something strange was going on was how quickly you guys jumped from discussion to implementation skipping through order of operations and everything

Fuck...I feel like an idiot. A bunch of people were predicting this and I was like lolnoway...
Oh man I got owned...wow.
Holy shit this is amazing. I got so worked up too.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Awesome.. lol

I thought a few things were odd (rushed through, not that many people objecting), but the scale of it.. never suspected it could be a setup.

Were AA and Colin in on it?

Run

Poster of the Month
I tried to post in here twice that i thought it was april fools, but it got instantly deleted both times.

Wow, this was really well done and elaborate. I had no idea this was going to an April Fool's day joke, and didnt even make the connection with the test and April 1st. Well done guys

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha, this is easily the best April Fools Prank ever xD! Too bad it wasn't on the Uber ladder, so I didn't get as pranked as some others. Still, that was awesome!

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so considering class literally just got canceled...

Like I said, all credits goes to Doug. We were actually discussing what we were going to do for april fools and we all had random ideas until Doug posted his idea and demolished all of them. It was very elaborate, and I'm honestly happy that we pulled it off without any leaks that we know of :) And not just for the idea too, but also for the execution.

I was really amused because the night X Act posted the thread, Colin PMs me on IRC going "this is a really nice joke". I would have revealed to him there but I figured there was that probability Colin was just probing to get information so I decided to act ignorant (although it didn't matter if Colin really knew about it since I doubt he would have spoiled it).

It was really hard thinking of strawman arguments for something that was completely wrong... and it was a bit suspicious earlier because all badgeholders was for the formula and every non badgeholder in PR was against it. It evened out later though. All my posts in the thread was pretty much aimed to get people to react angrily, so really, good job for not snapping guys. I also enjoyed AncienRegime's post greatly in the thread.

Yeah, the entire BlueCookies bit was planned. The entire thing ended in about 8 minutes which... in reality might be a bit too fast. Surprised no one caught onto that. When we were trying to give BlueCookeis the fake ICBB title there was a point where the bold part didnt work so there was a period of about 30 seconds where BlueCookies' CT was [ b]I could be banned![ /b] (no spaces). That was another close call. I was the mod to do it because obviously I have the reputation of being a "mean mod"... and I loved the reactions in GameFAQs over that stunt... and very amused I have quite the reputation there :P

A few people figured it out near the end... SDS PMd me saying that and I was laughing, so I gave him the typical "how dare you call it a joke you ungrateful fuck" response that I also gave shoddy this morning. Someone actually pointed out on Shoddy this morning that the hax formula is a coin flip.. and we were pretty much laughing in #is because that's exactly what the hax formula was... when we put it on the server, the coin flip occured in 1/17th of the battles, and every hour that passed, it went down to 1/16th, etc. We also put up a few red herrings (name changes, front page, Stats) just to add more fun :P

EeveeTrainer would have made a better White Knight >:P My apologies to all the PR members for strawmanning the fuck out of you guys and attempting to troll you guys. but hey, you guys are there for a reason I suppose - you guys dealt with it really really well.

It was a blast <3 a few of us thought we should have revealed it on april 2nd just to see the"SHIT THIS ISNT A JOKE" reactions but we wanted this over with

zfs

Everything old is new again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man, that was pretty awesome.

I was playing the "crotchety old veteran" without even knowing it. Damn you and your clever ruse!

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
doug I think I speak for more than myself when I say this prank you've pulled off is nothing short of legendary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)