Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

I play the Shuckle with NightShade against annoying Poison types to kill them in 2-4 turns.
With LeechSeed it needs much more time.

Maybe i should play Rest instead of Recover to get rid of Status attacks, fe. another one with toxic can kill this Shuckle easily. on the other Side it will sleep 2 turns which can be a problem in the beginning...

DreamEater guarantees me the KO in 4 turns, maybe in 3 turns without LO/Black sludge, furthermore it helps to get health back (within the item +30%) for other subs, maybe to recover the hit of a priority attack the opponent might have.
I rly. wanted to play with BP, but then i guess i would let him forget the Sub, else i get only 4 Subs, with a priority of an opponent before my Spore often only 2.
When i let him forget the Sub, i'm without any Guard when opponent wakes up, and maybe have to take normal attack + Priority, which might take it down.
But it's true, with the speedboost Machamp would be unstoppable
(Spore-Gastr Acid-)Sheer Cold.
But usually it takes minimum 2 pokes down, and even in a 2on2 Ninjask and Shuckle would win easily

But well, the team isn't 100% finish, Ninjask is still to breed (even i dont need any Speed IVs (electrode with 211 speed, the next, 2nd quick scarfer 232, with whom ninjask only gets speed tie, with 0 speed + Timid it sill gets ehm, 217 (i think) which is enough, after the boost for everything), but i have to breed one with good SpA to get full in hopefully 1 turn, with the Dreameater.

I also thought about another one:
Ninjask
-spore
-perish song
-mean look
-baton pass

Seems great too
Spore to let him sleep, then the song
mean look to hold him in the game to kill
finally BP to maybe Machamp with the Spd Boost to sweep the other too
Dangerous is, when the opponent sleeps not long, then Ninjask will get troubles

What you think about?
Why would you cheat in the first place?
Where is the fun in that?

God, the point of the battle tower is to test your battling skills not hacking skills

Ok, then forget the Perish Song thing :D

I would not call it cheat, because a cheat is most time something with hardware.
This is completely made with the mimic glitch, is the same thing with people get to Darkrai without item, catching mew in RBY, the same like cloing and some others, which, i think, many people use sometime ;)
Furthermore i already got a good record, not 1000 because such a dumb, evil, annoying rhydon killed me with 3/4 OHKO moves.
So i want to take revenge with my Machamp (the sheer cold one), and some others, which i will never use in Wifi battles or post this record somewhere ;)

there's a few little tricks you can do. like if you're looking at their pokes, and you notice they're not all matching the types used by particular types of trainers (eg policeman - fighting+steel), then they must be of a trainer that uses a particular number (eg jogger - set 2). this means you only need to check the stats of one of them, and you can save on checking the others. that'll save you 4CP every time you use that trick.

as for OHKO moves, yeah you've just gotta be prepared to spend a few points there. unless you have a flier and can be sure you can avoid fissure (eg leading with salamence against the fissure bastiodon - you can actually up its level). EDIT: gengar would be an interesting pokemon to use to wall certain OHKO moves, although it would often have a hard time dealing with the rest of the moveset lol.....

also, i think with more practice, you get better at conserving CP. still, having pokes that can heal themselves during battle is extremely helpful. and a balance between that, and having something that can occasionally 3-0 a team in 3 moves is awesome, as you can often get very easy CP - i had a few dream teams like bastiodon + magnezone + empoleon, where i could level them all up and OHKO with CB earthquake, for 50CP.
Yeah, I'm actually using the search engine that's in the original post to deduce my foes. Checking the summary instead of the Pokemon gives me the exact set most of the times and I save 3 CP every match by not having to check the Pokemon. CP wise I actually had some good rounds after my last post and got better matchups. However...

...I just got haxed out of my streak! Razor Claw Crobat raped my team with CH Brave Bird. :(

The first turn I was completely helpless as the CH ignores Intimidate and Crobat outsped Gyarados. After Dusknoir comes in, I anticipate another crit and pick Rest, hoping to outstall it via recoil. Of course, it doesn't crit on the my Resting turn (CH Brave Bird does about 3/4ths damage). It crits the following turn while I sleep. After Leftovers, Dusknoir is still in KO range of a non-crit Brave Bird. I switch to Blissey because I really needed either Dusknoir or Gyarados to deal with DT Shuckle. Quick calculations say that a non-crit Brave Bird doesn't KO Blissey but the recoil should be more than enough to faint Crobat. Crit Brave Bird, both Blissey and Crobat faint. Sleeping Dusknoir is completely helpless against Pory-Z.

Final tally: 97 wins, 674 CP

So close to 100. :(

I'm going to retrain Gyarados to give it a bit more speed though. FlareBlitz/SuperPower/ThunderPunch/NightSlash Blaziken is a pretty scary threat if I can't get a DD under my belt before it comes in. Right now a level 45 version speed ties with my unboosted Gyarados.

Why would you cheat in the first place?
Where is the fun in that?

God, the point of the battle tower is to test your battling skills not hacking skills
it's also about having fun. if someone wants to use the mimic glitch just for the heck of it, then why not? it's not going to get any kind of recognition in terms of "oh im better than jumpman because my sheer cold machamp did better than his regular pokes".

however i disagree with machampfan's statement about it being the same as getting mew in rby etc. the point with those things is that although you obtained it illegally, it still battles the same way it was always supposed to. whereas clearly nintendo never intended ninjask to have spore lol.....

Yeah, I'm actually using the search engine that's in the original post to deduce my foes. Checking the summary instead of the Pokemon gives me the exact set most of the times and I save 3 CP every match by not having to check the Pokemon. CP wise I actually had some good rounds after my last post and got better matchups.
wow - that's quite an ingeneous idea - i'd never thought of it!! it'd be hard to implement with a paper copy of the list, unless i guess you re-ordered it in alphabetical order of item/moves or something lol....

EDIT: hang on, you still have to check 3 item/stat info's - a total of 6CP - whereas typically i check 3 pokes and 1 item/stat - a total of 5CP. but yeah, i spose i often have to check more than 1 poke if its say a fighting trainer. still, sometimes you need to also check movesets to distinguish - eg QC adamant machamp, and the empoleons - it makes a big difference to my team which one they are.

However...

...I just got haxed out of my streak! Razor Claw Crobat raped my team with CH Brave Bird. :(

The first turn I was completely helpless as the CH ignores Intimidate and Crobat outsped Gyarados. After Dusknoir comes in, I anticipate another crit and pick Rest, hoping to outstall it via recoil. Of course, it doesn't crit on the my Resting turn (CH Brave Bird does about 3/4ths damage). It crits the following turn while I sleep. After Leftovers, Dusknoir is still in KO range of a non-crit Brave Bird. I switch to Blissey because I really needed either Dusknoir or Gyarados to deal with DT Shuckle. Quick calculations say that a non-crit Brave Bird doesn't KO Blissey but the recoil should be more than enough to faint Crobat. Crit Brave Bird, both Blissey and Crobat faint. Sleeping Dusknoir is completely helpless against Pory-Z.

Final tally: 97 wins, 674 CP

So close to 100. :(

I'm going to retrain Gyarados to give it a bit more speed though. FlareBlitz/SuperPower/ThunderPunch/NightSlash Blaziken is a pretty scary threat if I can't get a DD under my belt before it comes in. Right now a level 45 version speed ties with my unboosted Gyarados.
ah that really sucks :( that's another poke that can be a nuissance, when it really shouldnt be! even after intimidate, you're still at the mercy of crits.

i wonder if your team needs a superpowerful attack in there somewhere. eg you could sacrifice blissey to "KO" crobat through recoil, and then CB outrage salamence can wipe out poryZ and possibly the 3rd poke depending on what it was. however, i like your team, and the fact that you're wanting to use a different style of battle, so i'm definitely not trying to sugest you change things. just that gyarados can't exactly be depended on to save you from a lot of nasty situations you can find yourself in (and will because of hax).

also, something i've been noticing is that if you level allopponents up you can still get 50CP (ie max) even if the battle is long and drawn out. i looked up the info here and it says it has something to do with the number of PP used up. now, it happened twice to me on the way home yesterday, and i saved both battles (obviously only the second is still there lol). i'll have to finish the set of 7 before checking again, but i'm pretty sure it was 3 ice pokes, which milotic dealt with - on a switch in she was frozen, so i had to go to blissey for an aromatherapy and softboiled before going back and recovering, then toxic and i think milotic did a move each turn after that. oh well, i'll look it up and post more details again when i know for sure.

I'm in the midst of a Diamond single BT run (I'm about to hit 200 now; I'll post pics & more info when the streak ends) and I ran into something weird. Well I thought it was weird. Using the trick-scarf Cresselia, it makes the battles so easy that I don't always pay very close attention. Around fight number 185 or so, I noticed there was a Wartortle out. I wanted to look it up and I swear it said Lady Christina. And the last poke she used was Lairon.

So I looked it up and couldn't find that particular trainer. The closest, Lady Christa, doesn't have those pokes. Parsol Lady Christa does, and it very well could have been her. But why would she show up so late in the streak?

wow - that's quite an ingeneous idea - i'd never thought of it!! it'd be hard to implement with a paper copy of the list, unless i guess you re-ordered it in alphabetical order of item/moves or something lol....

EDIT: hang on, you still have to check 3 item/stat info's - a total of 6CP - whereas typically i check 3 pokes and 1 item/stat - a total of 5CP. but yeah, i spose i often have to check more than 1 poke if its say a fighting trainer. still, sometimes you need to also check movesets to distinguish - eg QC adamant machamp, and the empoleons - it makes a big difference to my team which one they are.
I typically search via item so I would group them in that manner if I were to use a paper list. I haven't really done much with deducing which trainer it is by the lead Pokemon but I guess that's another way to save CP in the long run. Still, I like knowing the exact stats sometimes since inferior IVs sometimes give me some extra leeway.

Speaking of IVs, do you ever notice how the IVs fluctuate depending on your performance in the previous match? I can't say this is the case for certain but it seems that when you use the skip option or win a very close match, the following match tends to have Pokemon with worse IVs.

ah that really sucks :( that's another poke that can be a nuissance, when it really shouldnt be! even after intimidate, you're still at the mercy of crits.

i wonder if your team needs a superpowerful attack in there somewhere. eg you could sacrifice blissey to "KO" crobat through recoil, and then CB outrage salamence can wipe out poryZ and possibly the 3rd poke depending on what it was. however, i like your team, and the fact that you're wanting to use a different style of battle, so i'm definitely not trying to sugest you change things. just that gyarados can't exactly be depended on to save you from a lot of nasty situations you can find yourself in (and will because of hax).

also, something i've been noticing is that if you level allopponents up you can still get 50CP (ie max) even if the battle is long and drawn out. i looked up the info here and it says it has something to do with the number of PP used up. now, it happened twice to me on the way home yesterday, and i saved both battles (obviously only the second is still there lol). i'll have to finish the set of 7 before checking again, but i'm pretty sure it was 3 ice pokes, which milotic dealt with - on a switch in she was frozen, so i had to go to blissey for an aromatherapy and softboiled before going back and recovering, then toxic and i think milotic did a move each turn after that. oh well, i'll look it up and post more details again when i know for sure.
Yeah, I found the same scoring formula on bulbapedia. Except I'm pretty sure the PP cutoff is 5 or fewer for the maximum points. I recall finishing a battle with 5 PP used and got the full amount. Another plus for using Outrage, I guess lol.

But I'm definitely going to experiment with a different lead on my next run. I'd like to keep the same Dusk/Bliss combo but type synergy might force me to run something different there too.

I'm in the midst of a Diamond single BT run (I'm about to hit 200 now; I'll post pics & more info when the streak ends) and I ran into something weird. Well I thought it was weird. Using the trick-scarf Cresselia, it makes the battles so easy that I don't always pay very close attention. Around fight number 185 or so, I noticed there was a Wartortle out. I wanted to look it up and I swear it said Lady Christina. And the last poke she used was Lairon.

So I looked it up and couldn't find that particular trainer. The closest, Lady Christa, doesn't have those pokes. Parsol Lady Christa does, and it very well could have been her. But why would she show up so late in the streak?
i've never noticed any real anomolies with the lists (apart from seeing a clefable a couple of times which was not on the list). i'm sure you just saw parasol lady christa, and just thought it was christina. there are a few trainers who use weaker pokemon, and they can appear absolutely anywhere in your streak.

I typically search via item so I would group them in that manner if I were to use a paper list. I haven't really done much with deducing which trainer it is by the lead Pokemon but I guess that's another way to save CP in the long run. Still, I like knowing the exact stats sometimes since inferior IVs sometimes give me some extra leeway.

Speaking of IVs, do you ever notice how the IVs fluctuate depending on your performance in the previous match? I can't say this is the case for certain but it seems that when you use the skip option or win a very close match, the following match tends to have Pokemon with worse IVs.

Yeah, I found the same scoring formula on bulbapedia. Except I'm pretty sure the PP cutoff is 5 or fewer for the maximum points. I recall finishing a battle with 5 PP used and got the full amount. Another plus for using Outrage, I guess lol.

But I'm definitely going to experiment with a different lead on my next run. I'd like to keep the same Dusk/Bliss combo but type synergy might force me to run something different there too.
i've never really looked into IV's, but again just depends on the trainer you face - some of them have 21IVs for all their pokes, which changes things by about 5 points on average (depends on EVs and if they have boosting natures etc).

as for the scoring, i would definitely have thought that in this particular match i'd have used at least 15-20, but yeah i'll watch it again. this morning i had a similar match, which i thought was more interesting (it had salamence switching in on some EQs etc), so i was gonna record it, but i only ended up with 46CP - i still think i probably used more than 10pp. i'm not sure on that one though because i didnt record it.

the one thing i'm really interested in though is how the AI chooses their back up pokes. eg - salamence KO's random lead, and they have a glaceon and leafeon - they will send out glaceon 100% of the time, since it has a SE move against mence, but leafeon does not. apart from this it seems impossible to guess who they will send out. it's not based on highest move power, higher attack stat, higher speed. could it really be just random? it would be so humungously helpful when planning strategies if you knew for sure who they'd send out.

Well, my HeartGold Battle Arcade streak just ended at 53. I got my gold print, so that's the important thing.

The team:

Metagross (The Hammer)
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 23, 19, 31, x, 31, 10
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
Moveset:
~Meteor Mash
~Bullet Punch
~Earthquake
~Thunderpunch

Suicune (Aquamarine)
Nature: Bold
IVs: 7, x, 23, 22, 30, 25
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA
Moveset:
~Surf
~Icy Wind
~Calm Mind
~Rest

Dragonite (Nite Fury)
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 26, 28, 16, x, 28, 31
EVs: 120 HP, 96 Atk, 136 SpDef, 156 Speed
Moveset:
~Outrage
~Substitute
~Dragon Dance
~Roost

I don't hack or RNG, and the Pokemon I use are all self-bred or caught. Obviously, some of their IVs aren't ideal, but they're the best I'll get for the amount of time I'm willing to put in, and I'm more proud when the Pokemon I use are a product of my own effort. The Suicune is Jumpman's monster; it's ridiculously bulky, and can set up on physical and special threats alike, though its bulk is obviously somewhat compromised by its poor HP IV and mediocre defense IV. You take what you can get.

Obviously, the team has a big focus on bulk; I like to use bulky Pokemon who can set up fairly reliably and do a ton of damage after they're set up. This minimizes hax, in a way; the opponent can set up Double Team, but if it can't hurt me all that much when I miss, I'm not that threatened.

The team's gone through a lot of changes; I used to use Latias instead of Dragonite, and it used to be my lead. I wanted it to be a bulky Calm Minder, but I found myself switching it out against almost any physical threat, and its weaknesses to Dark and Ghost were really dragging it down. I switched the lead to Metagross, but Latias was still often dead weight; if I brought it in when I was in a tough spot, it usually wouldn't have the power to do a lot of damage with an unboosted Dragon Pulse. I have to say, Metagross is a surprisingly good lead; it 2HKOs a ton of Pokemon (many of whom it can take out with another attack + Bullet Punch), and it's easy to switch Suicune or Dragonite in on Fire or Ground attacks. I switched to Dragonite because of its better typing, better bulk, and more threatening presence without a boost. The Jolly nature and Speed EVs allow it to outrun Lati@s 1, and it outruns everything except some Choice Scarf Pokemon, Electrode, and Ninjask after a Dragon Dance. The EVs might seem strange, but I came up with the set after I realized my old team had a crippling weakness to Dahlia's Zapdos (Zapdos 4). The EVs give really good special bulk; it's almost never 2HKOd by Zapdos's Thunderbolt (it needs to roll max damage twice, I believe), giving me time to Dragon Dance once, Roost up (taking reduced damage from Tbolt), and start attacking. The special bulk also makes him a great counter to fast special sweepers like Gengar and Alakazam, who can mess up my team if they catch Metagross at low health and don't give Suicune time to set up. I chose the moveset before I realized everyone else was using it, but it fits my purposes very well; Substitute is my answer to OHKO moves; I keep SubRoosting until the opponent is out of Sheer Cold and/or Horn Drill, when I Dragon Dance up and sweep.

I didn't have too many problems in the first seven sets; for the second Dahlia match, I had slowed the board down twice already. I chose to paralyze her team, and she led with Togekiss. I switched to Suicune, set up, and OHKOd her team. Gold print!

I lost the last match primarily due to the board, though partially due to a minor Tauros weakness on my team (as it's too powerful to allow Suicune to set up well, and messes up Metagross with EQ). The board was moving too fast for me to control it well; I tried to burn the opponent's team, but ended up burning my own. I knew I didn't have much of a shot after that, seeing as how my team has two physical sweepers on it who can't get rid of the burn.

The opponent leads with Tauros 4. Metagross comes out, and I immediately switch to Suicune, intending to set up one or two Calm Minds (Resting to allow myself another CM or two). Tauros uses EQ, doing about 70 damage...less than I expected. I use Calm Mind, he uses Return. I underestimated how much Return would do; I may have done better if I had Rested, but a win was pretty unlikely either way. It KOs Suicune the next turn with Return. Now I know I'm dead, but I tried to put up a fight.

I send out Dragonite and use Dragon Dance, since boosting is the only shot I have with that stupid burn. Tauros uses Stone Edge, and Dragonite's down to about a quarter health after burn damage. My genius plan is to use Roost until he misses with Stone Edge, then attempt to KO with Outrage once I've gotten more health back. I Roost for four turns in a row, and Stone Edge hits for all four. Worth a shot, anyway. No crits, and Dragonite's health ends up slightly higher than it was before I started Roosting.

He's out of Stone Edges, so I'm out of options; given the damage he was doing when I used Roost to remove my flying type, I knew Return would be a KO even if I Roosted first. I use Outrage; he falls to about 1/3 health. Tauros KOs with return. Awesome.

I send it Metagross. Since I know I'm screwed, I select the only thing that has a chance of helping me in the long run and use Meteor Mash (hooray for random shots at attack boosts!). Tauros uses EQ, knocking Metagross to about 1/2 health; Metagross's Meteor Mash leaves Tauros with a sliver of health. I finish him off with Bullet Punch, because hey, I might as well go down fighting.

The opponent sends in Blaziken, uses some fire move (I always forget to save the battle video on my top streaks!) and KOs Metagross. Oh well.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this run. I really like the team; it has excellent synergy, and it's really easy to manipulate the AI with it (I've beaten Ludicolo 3 with Dragonite by switching to Suicune because I know it'll use Blizzard, then switching back to Dragonite because I know it'll use Grass Knot...five switches and it's out of Blizzards, making it setup bait for Dragonite). I like being able to produce a pretty good run with a bulky team instead of hyper-offense (the battles are more fun for me when I'm switching out Metagross from time to time and allowing Suicune or Dragonite to set up, instead of winning most battles by immediately sweeping the opposing team with Garchomp or Salamence). I really like the Battle Arcade; the board is obnoxious sometimes and the early matches are (obviously) slow, but I also like how the board mixes things up and can add a challenge. I'll probably keep trying for a higher streak later on; I think this team has a lot of potential, as long as I avoid burning them all at the start of a match against a Pokemon that isn't Suicune-bait ;)

I got a streak of 60 at the Battle Castle. My team was Salamence, Starmie, and Metagross. Lost to a team of Suicune, Latias, and Cresselia. I would've won this battle if it weren't for Meteor Mash's stupid accuracy. It was down to Metagross vs Cresselia and it slowly Shadow Ball'd my Metagross to death as I constantly missed. After I had missed 3 times, I decided to use Bullet Punch, but it was too late. If I had used Bullet Punch at the beginning, I think I would have won that. That Cresselia must have been holding a Brightpowder, it didn't have Leftovers that's for sure.

Opposing Pokemon don't have items in the Battle Arcade, unless you give the opposing team items with the board, in which case, they'll all have the same item. Meteor Mash just misses sometimes :\

My first Battle Tower attempt in Heart Gold finished at 117 today. This was my team(its Jumpman16's team on the D/P guide with a few changes):

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
31/0/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Surf
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Psychic
Lead throughout. Modest to get more OHKOs. 0 Atk for minimum confusion damage. 4 SpD to stop Porygon's getting Download boosts which screwed me over a few times.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Dragon Dance
Sets up on anything it can really. Uses Dragon Dance first turn, Sandstorm breaks opposing Focus Sashes and sweep next turn. Cresselia,Mismagius and other Psychics/Ghosts were my main set up fodder.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
31/31/31/6/30/31
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
~ Dragon Claw
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang
~ Aerial Ace
Switch this in against anything that could OHKO whatever I had out. Fire Fang was my only real way of stoping Scizor. Aerial Ace's 100% accuray helped me a few times. Outspeeds almost everything without a Choice Scarf. 30 SpD IV because it was easier for me to catch a shiny one than to breed one, and I dont think it makes a difference at level 50.

On Platinum I got over 1000 BP trying to get to 100, so I had a lot of experience with what could beat me and how to beat them.

How I lost:
Turn 1
He sends out Mr.Mime, I send out Starmie.
I switch Garchomp, he uses Mimic.

Turn 2
Garchomp uses Earthquake, OHKO.

Turn 3
He sends out Cresselia.
I have to switch out because Im locked in Earthquake.
I switch in Tyranitar, he uses Ice Beam.
Tyranitar gets frozen.

Turn 4-8
Tyranitar is frozen and eventually killed.

Turn 9
I switch in Starmie.
I use Surf, he uses Signal Beam.
I lose 50%, he loses ~30%

Turn 10
I use Surf, he uses Signal Beam
Starmie is KOd, Cresselia is down to ~40%

Turn 11
I switch in Garchomp.
I use Dragon Claw, he uses Ice Beam.
Garchomp survives on 39 HP, Cresselia takes ~20% damage.

Turn 12
I use Dragon Claw for the KO.

Turn 13
He switches in Claydol.
I uses Dragon Claw for 50%, he uses Earth Power(?) for the KO.

I could have set up on Mr. Mime, but didnt have the list of Pokemon with me and didnt want to risk it
I was unlucky and I could have played it better but I still got the star for a 100 win streak.
I can post picture proof if necessary, but it would take me a while to get it up here.

Next team

Hello All!

I want to build a new BT team with some pokemons that i have not seen that often in Bt-teams. But I need some help with finalising the team. EV / ability / item wise and I hope you all could do that =).

I personally like the pinguin, Empoleon so this will be my first pokemon

Empoleon modest @ Petaya
252 spA / 232 spd / rest in hp (ofc. keeping in mind /4 )
Sub
surf
IB
Agi

Next pokemon i was thinking about was something that can take a hit and have good synergy with Empoleon:

Which results in the pokemon:

Gliscor! (Adamant or Jolly) @ Brightpower
252 hp / xxx speed / xx hp
SD
Eq
Roost
AA

Sharing no Weaknesses makes it a good combo, in addition resisting Fighting / ground and immune to electric make these 2 pokemon fit quite well. AA is for DT / fighting / grass. EQ for everything non flying and non resisting =). However i am not sure for about the item as i could go LO for extra damage (think he needs is with only 95 attack and no att ev's) and he has roost to get back the health. Brightpowder is nice in combination with T-tar however i dont know if if that is a good combination as T-tar is not a champ against water pokemons and neither is Gliscor / empoleon and I'd rather not slap Grass knot on Emp.

And now the last pokemon. This pokemon can also be a the lead pokemon as i am not really sure about Empoleon leading as set-up pokemon is not really the best strat in BT.

I have been thinking about Tangrowth:

Amnesia
Leech seed
toxic
Filler (Sythesis / powerwhip)

But he is not the ideal quick pokemon and stall is nice in BT, but it is not reliable =/. So that anyone has an idea about the Third pokemon to the team? Thanks alot!

(been thinking about Scizor lead with CB =) As scizor is a bitch and hits hard so Gliscor can hold leftovers as brightpowder was used as haxx dodge in combination with SS)

thanks a lot!

Cl0wn

Just got a streak of 56 in the Platinum Battle tower, multi w/ingame trainer as partner.

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2680230 (pic)

Using:

Metagross@Choice scarf
Jolly nature
6hp/252att/252spe
Iron Head
Earthquake
ThunderPunch
Ice Punch

Dragonite@Yache Berry
Adamant nature
6hp/252att/252spe
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Punch

I only did this streak to get Dragonite a lovely new ribbon so the team was made for supporting her. =P I would generally choose Mira to have pokemon on the special attacking spectrum and hopefully get some earthquake synergy with her many flyers and levitators but she often lead with Heatran, Magnezone or Magmortar. Boo. Metagross had iron head because Meteor mash always misses for me and with the choice scarf, makes good use of the flinch rate and it doesn't have explosion because it's very risky with an ingame partner and I, uh, don't have a TM for it. With Metagross I could always switch freely without fear of a super effective attack aside from stuff like rock slide and heat wave.

I lost battle 57 due to complete idiocy on my part which is a shame because I wanted to blame the partner's AI. It went like this:

Andy and Mira sent out Metagross and Gengar
Opponents sent out Sceptile and Infernape

So at first I thought I should just earthquake away but then I thought 'Ah but Gengar has psychic so it will surely kill infernape.' So I ice punched Sceptile forgetting it was like the fastest grass type in the game.

Metagross used Ice punch! It's super effective!
Sceptile's Liechi berry raised it's attack!
Sceptile used Crunch! It's super effective! Gengar fainted!
Infernape used flare blitz! It's super effective! Metagross fainted! Infernape is hurt by recoil!

Poopy. Then later on I accidentally earthquaked Mira's magmortar and thought a +1 EQ would KO a Medicham. Silly me.

Cl0wn, I don't have a ton of ideas for you, but the first thing that comes to mind is that your first two will have a LOT of trouble with Water types. Obviously, Empoleon is great at walling Water and Ice type moves (though it's significantly worse if you're consistently bringing it down to 25% for Petaya), but most Water types tend to carry moves of other types. I've always found Lanturn, Ludicolo, and Abomasnow (obviously not a Water type) to be incredibly obnoxious in terms of their type coverage. Gliscor can hit the latter two hard with Aerial Ace and can hit Lanturn pretty hard with Earthquake, but you really don't want to switch him in on any of them, since he'll get hit hard by any special move except for an Electric attack from Lanturn. Suicune can also easily wall Empoleon and OHKO Gliscor (or even if it doesn't OHKO, it's bulky enough to survive several hits). Even stuff like Floatzel can be threatening; it can hit Empoleon with Focus Blast and take out Gliscor with a Water move.

The best thing I can think that can switch in without almost dying and KO most of these threats would be Zapdos, but it obviously won't like getting hit by an Ice type move, particularly from Abomasnow. Fortunately, it has Heat Wave to OHKO Abomasnow, but without HP Grass, Swampert (and other Water/Grounds) are very threatening to your team. I'd advise against using Gliscor with Empoleon for this reason; Water types are just too common, and it's not all that rare that you fight a team of three of them, which may be too much for Zapdos to take down on its own. I'd generally advise against SubPetaya on a BT Empoleon too; I think you'll find yourself switching it out a lot even with the Petaya boost, and you'll have trouble switching it back in when it's down to 25% health.

Some bullshit about mimic glitch and other idiotic arguments blablabla

If you have other advises to me, let me hear :)
Let me give you some advise:

Stop embarassing yourself.

We don't care about your Mimic glitched team (While I even doubt the Pokémon were actually bred legaly but fine.) or that you are taking ''revenge'' for BF players.

We come here to read interesting things. Theory's, record breaking posts, how did we won/lost posts. NOT a Hi-I-can't-win-so-I-use-pogeymon-with-illegal-movesets post like yours.

Gliscor + Empoleon might look good on paper at first glance, but there are a few issues with that pairing which would make me think twice about using them together.

Perhaps most notably, neither Pokemon resists Grass or Fire, meaning that neither can really handle getting hit by a critical Overheat or Leaf Storm. Unfortunately, you will have a hard time using the third slot to cover this weakness since nothing really resists both types but Fire and Dragon (which means you have multiple Pokemon weak to Water/Ground or Ice).

There's also the issue of certain type combinations giving you massive problems. BoltBeam, for example, will cause you all sorts of problems you can't do much to fix.

For the specific sets you want to use, I'll be frank - they suck. Crisis berries have no place in the Battle Tower, so that should be the first thing to go. If you want to use Empoleon, I'd suggest taking advantage of its durability and running Leftovers on it.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't be using setup moves at all in the Tower unless you have some way to guarantee free turns to use them. This is doubly true if you are using Pokemon that could easily require you to switch them out after setting them up, since you are unlikely to find time to set them up again.

If you continue to use Empoleon's special set, you really do need to find room for Grass Knot, since he's likely to be your best anti-Water Pokemon no matter what you run as Pokemon #3.

If you want some semblance of viability for your team, I'd strongly suggest running Trick Latias as your lead, since that would buy you some time to set up your Pokemon. The biggest problem with that plan is that Empoleon really wants to run all three of Swords Dance, Agility, and Substitute to set up, but that doesn't give him enough room for decent type coverage. You could try to drop Agility for Aqua Jet, but I'm not sure that even a +6 Aqua Jet with Life Orb is strong enough to OHKO a majority of the field, either. Also, it deserves a mention that dropping Agility makes your Substitutes noticeably worse.

No real comments on Gliscor other than Hyper Cutter is probably the better ability, and that I'd probably use Substitute + Leftovers over Roost + Brightpowder (assuming you give Empoleon Life Orb or whatnot). I can't give too much advice since I haven't really tried Gliscor in the BT (I've tried Empoleon numerous times, mostly as a third Pokemon on Baton Pass Breloom teams).

I bettered my HeartGold Battle Arcade streak once again, using the team described in this post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2769846&postcount=2741

Namely Metagross, Suicune, and Dragonite. My new streak is 62.

Here's one time I lost to a combination of hax, the board, and my playstyle not suiting the opponents well. The opposing team was Granbull 4, Altaria (don't know which one), and Rapidash 3 or 4.

I accidentally set up the sun with the board; I figure it's not too big of a problem, but I know I've made Rapidash a much bigger threat. When Granbull comes out, I switch to Suicune, since I don't want Metagross taking a sun-boosted fire move or EQ.

I get into a stall war with Granbull, boosting with Calm Minds and Resting when necessary. Once he's used up all of his Stone Edges and Close Combats, I'm at almost full health. I use Calm Mind, which was a mistake; if I had used Surf, I would've been able to get the KO first (I'd used Calm Mind twice, and Granbull's Special Defense was at -3 due to Close Combat). For some reason, I thought Rapidash could be really threatening in the sun, so I wanted Suicune to be set up as much as possible. My mistake. Granbull uses his last Giga Impact. It crits, knocking out Suicune.

The good news is that he's now run out of everything except EQ, so I switch in Dragonite. I set up a sub, use Dragon Dance four times, which is enough to KO everything that isn't a steel-type, and I won't KO myself with confusion damage in one hit (which I might do with 6 DDs). I should have used fewer Dragon Dances, but I didn't remember what my opponent had, so I decided to play it safe.

After I've used Dragon Dance four times, I KO Granbull with Outrage. My opponent switches in Altaria, which prompty gets KO'd as well. I pray that I won't get confused, but I end up confused anyway.

My opponent sends in Rapidash. I've got Dragonite behind a sub with four Dragon Dances up, but it's confused. I made another mistake here; if I would have used Metagross as death fodder, I could've brought Dragonite back in, used Dragon Dance again, and got a KO with Outrage. Instead, I pick Outrage again, knowing that I've still got another shot, even if I hit myself in confusion.

I hurt myself due to confusion, the foe's Rapidash uses Flare Blitz. Dragonite's sub breaks, but it doesn't matter.

I picked Outrage again, because at this point, it's the only thing I can do. Dragonite hits itself in confusion again, knocking itself out. Rapidash uses Flare Blitz on empty space.

Metagross comes in, and is promptly KOd by Flare Blitz. If I hadn't set up the sun using the game board, Rapidash wouldn't have gotten a OHKO with Flare Blitz, and I would've been able to OHKO with Earthquake.

So that was my loss to a team of three relatively bad UUs (well, the two who beat me were NU; Altaria never got to attack). There were a lot of unlucky circumstances in that battle, and if I calculated them all out, I'm sure I'd get some really small probability. Still, the loss was ultimately avoidable on my part, if I would've just anticipated some of that bad luck. But hey, every time I lose when I could've avoided it, I learn more about how to win in the future. I'll probably keep working on the Arcade, just because I think it's a lot of fun.

Latias (Flow) @ Choice Scarf
Female, Timid, Levitate
252 HP / 182 Defense / 76 Speed
187 / 90 / 133 / 130 / 150 / 154
Trick / Thunder Wave / Charm / Recover

Drapion (Doopliss) @ Black Sludge
Male, Careful, Battle Armor
252 HP / 56 Defense / 196 Special Defense / 4 Speed
177 / 110 / 137 / 72 / 132 / 116
Crunch / Substitute / Acupressure / Rest

Lapras (Hymn) @ Leftovers
Male, Careful, Shell Armor
252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 Special Defense
237 / 106 / 100 / 94 / 161 / 80
Ice Shard / Waterfall / Curse / Substitute

I don't think I've ever assembled a team so quickly. I got these guys all trained up today so I could go for a streak. I've had a couple of interesting battles.

As early as Battle 29, I experienced the worst that the Battle Tower can possibly dish out. I faced Poke Kid Ruby in the first match of my fifth set. She sent out 602 Lapras 2: Quick Claw activated, Sheer Cold hit, and my Latias fainted without even making a move. At first I was quite confused, but that gave way to fear soon enough. To prevent a complete Quick Claw Sheer Cold sweep, there is little that any team can do. Even liberal use of Protect by Pokemon with Pressure can leave you facing a 1-3 scenario. Looking at 'mons with the Sturdy ability, all but Magnezone (who has no ability to augment his offensive stats) are at a disadvantage against Pokemon like Lapras. There's really nothing one can do in such a situation, save for what I did; cower.

I sent out Drapion, hoping to avoid a Lapras - Lapras speed tie. I was lucky enough to use Substitute before Sheer Cold hit me again. Thankfully, Substitute stalled out Sheer Cold without any more interference from the Quick Claw; I even got a Crunch in. My smile faded when I discovered the rest of Lapras moveset, which offered me no hope of setting up. In addition to being a qcsc cheater, Lapras 2 has Perish Song. We both switched out, but not before Lapras put Drapion to sleep with Sing. I ended up in a two on three situation, with half of my team asleep.

My own Lapras (who I will now refer to by his nickname, Hymn, to avoid confusion with Poke Kid Ruby's Lapras) faced off against 588 Vaporeon 2. Initially skeptical of my chances to win, I Cursed a few times before Substituting. I found out that Vaporeon cannot threaten my Hymn, so I ended up setting up 8/2 Attack and Defense behind a Substitute. Ice Shard took a couple of hits to KO, but I finished off Vaporeon before I lost too much PP. At this point, the opposing Lapras came in and used Perish Song. I lost all my boosts and a Substitute when I switched out, but I was able to bring my opponent down to around ten HP with Ice Shard.

I sent my sleeping Drapion out along with what was left of my hope. I've never been so happy to see 594 Glaceon 2. Yup, that's the one with Double Team and Yawn, who is usually not such a pleasant surprise. With a fully PP Maxed Water / Ice type on my team, I was not afraid. Being 4x resistant to its only offensive move, I'm capable of stalling Glaceon out with Hymn before finishing the opposing Lapras off with Ice Shard. Long story short, Drapion ended up getting the sweep. Drapion woke up and Acupressured naked against Glaceon. I got all twenty-one stat boosts and a Substitute, without the need to go to Hymn. After dispatching Glaceon, I did cruel and unusual things to the opposing Lapras.

Nothing more eventful happened until battle 47, where one of the weak points of my team was highlighted. I set up with Lapras against a Vaporeon's Ice Beam, which is pretty normal. Ice Shard knocked out an unmemorable second Pokemon. 874 Lapras 4 came out third, and took my Ice Shard like the 4x resistant tank that it is. I probably should have risked Waterfall (instead of fearing the 50/50 chance it had Water Absorb), though I was later able to confirm that this would not have helped me in this case. I got KO'd by Thunderbolt, and Drapion ended up alone against the enemy plesiosaur. Thankfully, Crunch was able to finish the battle without interference from Brightpowder or secondary Freeze effects.

Which brings me to my crowning glory: battle 63 against Gentleman Karston, who turned out to be not so much of a gentleman. 830 Pinsir 4 went all "reign of terror" on me, securing three consecutive Guillotine kills. I think this was the AI's way of reminding me who really holds the power. I can have my fun for five or five thousand battles, but at any time, due to factors out of my control, I can be firmly put in my place. The only reason I get past battle fifty is because he lets me get past. "I find it abhorrent to lose to any young trainer." You and me ain't done, Zeke.

There's something almost... spiritual about being so firmly shut down so early. This kind of stuff doesn't happen to most people until battle 2363.

I didn't expect to be missing my Dusknoir lead any time soon. Oh, well. I learned a lot making this run, and some of this team's weaknesses were highlighted. The Lapras that can take Hymn down even after six Curses reared its head, as did two problem ohko Pokemon. I learned what to do against an Electrode that uses Thunder on Latias, and how to play it safe by Substituting behind Substitutes to ensure that faster ohko Pokemon can't beat me. I was able to cope in the two instances where Latias got boom'd, once by a Lickilicky. The gains of this short run have been greater than the pains, so I don't plain to drop this team any time soon. I'll resume my attempts in the morning; hopefully I won't get lolhaxxed again.

lol

ha

Yay, got my gold print at the Battle Hall. I used an Adamant Salamence with Outrage, EQ, and Fire Blast. Argenta used a Moltres (silver) and Vaporeon (gold), so I was lucky that she had easy to beat Pokes. I wonder how long my streak can go on for...as soon as I see Weavile it's GGs. There's absolutely no way to beat that Weavile with an Adamant Salamence.

i really like this lapras idea and concidering trying to make a team around it myself, was just wondering is there any reason why curse is being chosen over dragon dance every time? or is it just cause that bulk is better than speed

I've decided to screw breeding for perfect-IV pokemon, so I'm gonna work on my Tower team soon. This is what I have so far.

(I'm not sure which lead to use here, so I'd like some help.)

Scizor @ Muscle Band
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant / Technician
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful / Sand Stream
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Crunch

Also, how does Tyranitar get DD again? Do you breed with Gyarados?

I've decided to screw breeding for perfect-IV pokemon, so I'm gonna work on my Tower team soon. This is what I have so far.

(I'm not sure which lead to use here, so I'd like some help.)

Scizor @ Muscle Band
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant / Technician
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful / Sand Stream
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Crunch

Also, how does Tyranitar get DD again? Do you breed with Gyarados?
I have tried using those two sweepers with a Latias lead. Latias/Scizor/Tyranitar resists every element except Rock which is "okay" because the only Rock attacks that are commonly used is Stone Edge and Rock Slide which is easily countered by Charm.
Also, my Tyranitar is holding Chesto w/ Sub/DD/Rest/Crunch and Scizor holding Leftovers.
You have to watch out for Heatran and Tinted Lens Yanmega though. Tinted Lens Yanmega 2HKO everyone with Bug Buzz and I could'nt stand a chance.

I did not really like Tyranitar in tower when I tried using it mainly because of sandveil Garchomp (focus sash, bright powder) / Gliscor (focus sash). All it takes is one miss out of the 2 crunches (assuming sash) and Tyranitar is in serious danger.

Also, with only Crunch and 4 attack EVs, things like Aggron (QC one with attack + def EVs) are not 2HKO'd even at +6 while Iron Head 2HKOs Ttar. Just my opinion though. When I used my Ttar, it had EQ over Protect. Even then Sand Veil is annoying because it's only a matter of time when that miss or two happens.

EDIT: O yeah, Ttar gets DD by breeding it with a Charizard / Feraligatr / Lapras which knows DD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)