B&W Research Thread

Acupressure: Does it now work through Substitutes? Yes

I just tested this, the Pokemon's stats increase even if it has Substitute active.

Wifi Battles: Like in PBR, teams are revealed before the battle, and you pick your pokemon in order from lead to last. Unconfirmed if the function can be switched off.

Could affect how a Gen V simulator is built if teams have to be revealed at the beginning.

Stat-up moves and Leech Seed indeed get priority. I'm not what the priority level is, but I know for a fact that these moves work. I was wondering why my paralyzed Monmen was able to use these moves first, heh.

I will test out stun spore when I have the chance to see if that works as well.
Status moves also have priority with this ability. Priority status is awesome.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wifi Battles: Like in PBR, teams are revealed before the battle, and you pick your pokemon in order from lead to last. Unconfirmed if the function can be switched off.

Could affect how a Gen V simulator is built if teams have to be revealed at the beginning.
That's the best news about Gen 5 I've heard so far.

I've heard that WiFi Double Battles are 4v4. If so, do you see your opponent's team of 6 and then choose 4 to use, or do you each have to choose 4 before going into WiFi mode?

Also, are WiFi Single Battles 3v3 or 6v6? What about Triple Battles?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wifi Singles are 3v3, and Triples are 6v6.

However. This is Random Wifi matches, much like PBR. Friend matches via friend codes still have teams hidden. This should not change anything in terms of the way simulators are built.

I think someone also tested to see if Rest and Perish Song have an extra turn for their effect and proved that they didn't. I don't know where the post was, though.
Rest and Perish Song works the same way as before.

I tested Rest twice, and my Pokemon woke up after 2 turns of being unable to move (due to sleep).

Also, I would like to add that when I used Rest, the opponent used Torment. The next turn, I could not choose Rest, due to Torment. I know Torment was changed to work like this, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

The turn you use Perish Song, the count is 3. At the end of the next turn, the count is 2. You die at the end of the turn when the count is 0.

However. This is Random Wifi matches, much like PBR. Friend matches via friend codes still have teams hidden. This should not change anything in terms of the way simulators are built.
I did a FC battle with someone a few hours ago and it still revealed teams.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Well, that's as may be. I've played a lot of PBR battles and strongly recommend both the reduced number of Pokémon and being able to see your opponent's team and choose leads, but that's a debate for another thread.

Thanks for the info about 3v3 singles and 6v6 triples. I'm still wondering if you have to whittle your team down to 3 or 4 Pokémon before or after seeing your opponent's team. Any word on that?

I did a FC battle with someone a few hours ago and it still revealed teams.
Excellent.

That's the best news about Gen 5 I've heard so far.

I've heard that WiFi Double Battles are 4v4. If so, do you see your opponent's team of 6 and then choose 4 to use, or do you each have to choose 4 before going into WiFi mode?

Also, are WiFi Single Battles 3v3 or 6v6? What about Triple Battles?
You see your opponent's teams. You take the 6 into WiFi mode. I wrote about WiFi rules in my dictionary thread. In answer to turning teams off, I haven't found any function that lets me turn that off yet. I don't know how it works in Wireless Union Room yet since, while I have two DSes and two games now, I haven't started the other game.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Does mischievous heart (gives priority to
moves) make trick room go first? Or is it still stuck at -6 priority?

¬_¬ i tried to edit post above, but it wasn't working.

Anyways
Do multi hitting moves still only activate shell bell once? Or does it activate for each individual hit.

E.g. Closter with skill link uses Icicle spear. Shell bell restores health 5 times

Does mischievous heart (gives priority to
moves) make trick room go first? Or is it still stuck at -6 priority?
Mischievous Heart doesn't alter move priority in any way. It only makes +0 priority, 0 base power moves go first than other +0 moves.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mischievous Heart doesn't alter move priority in any way. It only makes +0 priority, 0 base power moves go first than other +0 moves.
Are you sure of that? Have you tried seeing if a Mischief Heart-boosted move goes after a slower Pokemon using Quick Attack?

Don't apologize - I thought it was weird too. However, I read this on Serebii, which at times is highly unreliable and gives poor translations. I would have thought Defense and Special Defense as well, or Defense and Attack, not two stats on the end of the spectrum.

Granted if it pans out my original thought wasn't correct I'm going to be disappointed - the Sarcophagus with 417 Defense at Maximum screams for possibly poorly translated Wonder Room.
It switches defense and special defense. The mistake was my fault, not Serebii's.

This is the text directly from the dump:

まか不思議な 空間を つくる。\ufffe5ターンのあいだ すべてのポケモンの\ufffe防御と 特防が 入れ替わる。

Apologies for the inconvenience, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

(Have informed Serebii, details on his page should be updated soon)

Oh....Um, I haven't really posted here before but I can read Japanese and I got the game on the first day it was released (I am living in japan) so if there's anything I can help research or if there's anything you want help with, I am offering my services.

Edit: Also, I am not very far in the game but I can probably do some translation stuff or new pokemon analysis type things?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Does the pre-evolution stone mean that Chansey will have some user over Blissey?
(Boosts the defenses of an NFE by 50%)

What happens when an electric type attack his a ground pokemon with lightning rod? Does the immunity or the ability activate first?
Looks like immunity activates first.

Lightningrod Rhydon vs. wild Shibishirasu
Rhydon used Toxic. Shibishirasu poisoned.
Shibishirasu used Spark. No effect. No ability activated.

¬_¬ i tried to edit post above, but it wasn't working.

Anyways
Do multi hitting moves still only activate shell bell once? Or does it activate for each individual hit.

E.g. Closter with skill link uses Icicle spear. Shell bell restores health 5 times
Icicle Spear still only activates Shell Bell once, sorry.

This what used to happen in Gen III and was changed in DPPt (abilities before immunities). I believe this means Jolteon and Electivire aren't immune to Thunder Wave anymore.
Just tested this on a few wild Shimama.
Thunder Wave activated both Motor Drive and Lightningrod, but did not paralyse.
(Thundershock also dealt no damage to the Lightningrod one)

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
A question that probably should be looked into would be Trick Room's affect on Mischievous Heart. Since it's apparently been shown to not actually give non attack moves +1 priority, would they still go first when TR is in effect?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Seriously, did you read the first post? STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.
I'm sorry I haven't seen it before, but I was sure there was no mention of it the first time I read it and I'm following this thread since page 1. Apparently I totally looked over Kyke's post.

And lol spreading misinformation, calm down, I said "guess" exactly because I could not test it by myself at the moment and knew it used to work like that in Gen III before it got changed in IV.

Magic Coat: Supposedly affects Whirlwind, Roar, Disable, Spite, Spikes, Foresight, Encore, Torment, Taunt, Odor Sleuth, Miracle Eye, Embargo, Heal Block, Leech Seed, stat-down moves, Toxic Spikes, Defog, and Stealth Rock
Slipperjeans tested and posted about those in the Magic Mirror thread. Do these count as evidence?

Don't think it's included in the first post, but there's been some speculation about Mischievous Heart and priority attacks/Trick Room.

Hacked together a Lv. 100 Erufun with Trick Room and came up with the following:

vs. wild Shimama:
Erufun used Cotton Spore. Shimama's speed fell.
Shimama used Quick Attack.

In this case, it seems as if Mischievous Heart can give non-priority status moves priority over +1.

vs. wild Altaria
Altaria used Dragon Dance
Erufun used Trick Room
Erufun used Cotton Spore
Altaria used Dragon Dance

In this case, it seems Trick Room does not gain priority from Mischievous Heart. It also seems that during Trick Room conditions, Mischievous Heart still allows status moves to go first regardless of speed (Erufun is definitely faster and therefore slower in Trick Room).

Additionally, a question from me:
- What happens if the opponent uses Fake Out or Protect etc against a Mischievous Heart's status move?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)