B&W Research Thread

Giratina-O: Is it still immune to having its Griseous Orb removed in some way, either by Trick, Knock Off, or Thief?
Acupressure: Does it now work through Substitutes?
Just tested this against two female trainers.
I used Trick against Giratina-O and it failed, the same goes for Thief and Knock off

Tested accupressure and it indeed works behind a subtitude

I'll be testing Assist power soon, but it will take a while probably

I tested a few things having to do with multi-hit attacks today. The specific attack I used to test was Arm Thrust. I found some interesting results:

1. Berries activate in the middle of multi-hit attacks now
Here's how the situation would go:

Emboar used Arm Thrust!
Arm Thrust hit once!
Arm Thrust hit twice!
Sitrus Berry restored some health!
Arm Thrust hit three times!

2. Multi-hit attacks break Sturdy and Focus Sash now
I used my high leveled Emboar versus a low leveled Dangoro to test this. Each time, Arm Thrust was able to KO Dangoro using only one PP, through Sturdy and later through Focus Sash.

Combined Conclusion: Each hit in a multi-hit attack is considered its own individual attack now. This is very different from 4th gen, where the entire move was considered one attack, and therefore never activated berries mid-attack, or broke Focus Sash.

I'll test a few more things in the OP today, but this was just something that I was personally interested for lead reasons :)

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That's not quite true, actually. In 4th gen, berries could definitely activate between hits of a multi-hit attack. Type-resist berries would also only affect the first hit of a multi-hit attack.

Also, I've heard that Sturdy and/or Focus Sash will still activate in the middle of a multi-turn attack, providing some level of protection. Could somebody give a detailed description of exactly how this works, bearing in mind that Focus Sash and Sturdy may not work exactly the same way?

I've seen some members talking wrong things about Mischievous Heart, so I retested it and debunked what they've said:

Testing with a lvl 44 Erufuun: Energy Ball / Stun Spore / Toxic / Leech Seed. Battle against a lvl 72 Garchomp.

Garchomp used Dragon Rush!
Garchomp's attack missed!
Erufuun used Energy Ball!

This is the confirmation it was faster. Then, next turn:

Erufuun used Leech Seed!
Foe's Garchomp was seeded!
Garchomp used Crunch!
Erufuun fainted!

This is the confirmation that Leech Seed works with Mischievous Heart. I then sacrificed a member of my team to use revive on Erufuun.

Erufuun used Toxic!
Foe's Garchomp was badly poisoned!
Garchomp used Crunch!

And this confirms Toxic works with Mischievous Heart, too.

Then, against a level 75 Milotic.

Milotic used Blizzard!
Erufuun fainted!

This is the turn I used Energy Ball. Milotic is faster, then. I, again, revived Erufuun through a sacrifice.

Erufuun used Stun Spore!
Foe's Milotic was paralyzed!
Milotic is fully paralyzed! It can't move!

And this proves Stun Spore is affected, too, by the ability.

I just need to find the Taunt and Substitute TMs then I'll test them. I've also teste Double Team, Flash and Cotton Spore earlier, and the three of them were affected.

That's not quite true, actually. In 4th gen, berries could definitely activate between hits of a multi-hit attack. Type-resist berries would also only affect the first hit of a multi-hit attack.

Also, I've heard that Sturdy and/or Focus Sash will still activate in the middle of a multi-turn attack, providing some level of protection. Could somebody give a detailed description of exactly how this works, bearing in mind that Focus Sash and Sturdy may not work exactly the same way?
Hmm, I guess the berry activation is a Shoddy glitch then. My gut told me to go back and check the berry activation in my SS game, but I just thought it was properly implemented on Shoddy. Sorry, I won't make this mistake again!

I'll test the Focus Sash vs. multi-hit with Shedinja later today to see if the first hit doesn't KO. As far as Sturdy goes, my earlier test showed that Arm Thrust activated the ability on the first would-be-OHKO hit, but then the second hit finished it off.

Make Friends: Does it change the ability of Slaking, Regigigas, and Shedinja?
Tested this against 2 female trainers. With a jolteon(volt absorb) using make friends against slaking
It doesn't change the ability of slaking, it still won't move every 2 turns and isn't immune to electric attacks.

Will test it for regi and shedinja after i've eaten

EDIT: Make friends works on both regigigas and Shedinja(regigigas healed from jolteons thunder and shedinja died to signal beam)

I'm curious about two Abilities in particular, just because they seem very weak in comparison to others.

Dustproof- If it just grants immunity to Weather damage then it's a very inferior Magic Guard, which is odd, because Rankurusu gets both as Abilities. My guess is that it does something more, possibly along the lines of Cloud Nine, but only for the Pokemon with the Ability.

Slip Through- It's possible that GameFreak thinks that Reflect and Light Screen are common moves, but they aren't, not really. Is it possible that this Ability also allows those with it to bypass Safeguard and the Protect-based moves? It would certainly give it some usage (though Mischievous Heart is extremely good).

I'll be able to test Slip Through once I get my Black Version (Monmen/Erufuun), But Dustproof will have to wait until I can get Vulchai.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious about two Abilities in particular, just because they seem very weak in comparison to others.

Dustproof- If it just grants immunity to Weather damage then it's a very inferior Magic Guard, which is odd, because Rankurusu gets both as Abilities. My guess is that it does something more, possibly along the lines of Cloud Nine, but only for the Pokemon with the Ability.
Good idea.

Slip Through- It's possible that GameFreak thinks that Reflect and Light Screen are common moves, but they aren't, not really. Is it possible that this Ability also allows those with it to bypass Safeguard and the Protect-based moves? It would certainly give it some usage (though Mischievous Heart is extremely good).
Perhaps Slip Through also lets them bypass Substitute?

Focus Sash can and will activate in the middle of a multi-hit attack, and I think the first hit doesn't necessarily have to be the one that activates it (but I need to recheck it, hence why it's listed as Tentative). However, if the multi-hit move still has hits to go it will KO the Focus Sash holder.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
As far as Reflect and Light Screen not being common, bear in mind that they're more useful in doubles and might be even more useful in triples, especially if they retain doubles' 3/2 multiplier. I'm not saying don't test it on Safeguard or Substitute, but it's not quite as bad an ability as it seems.

Focus Sash can and will activate in the middle of a multi-hit attack, and I think the first hit doesn't necessarily have to be the one that activates it (but I need to recheck it, hence why it's listed as Tentative). However, if the multi-hit move still has hits to go it will KO the Focus Sash holder.
Cool. Does Sturdy work the same way?

Dustproof also prevents Weather damage to your other Pokémon that are in Battle in Doubles and Triples.
Has this actually been tested?

I know this is low priority, but I was wondering if someone could check this out.

Is it possible to transfer the Spiky-Eared Pichu from HGSS to Black/White? If so, does it still have all the restrictions on it? (IE, it can't evolve, be traded, go online, or into a Union Room or anything of that nature).

I know this is low priority, but I was wondering if someone could check this out.

Is it possible to transfer the Spiky-Eared Pichu from HGSS to Black/White? If so, does it still have all the restrictions on it? (IE, it can't evolve, be traded, go online, or into a Union Room or anything of that nature).
I'm almost certain that if you can trade it into BW, you would be able to trade it between the games. The only reason you couldn't trade it in Gen 4 was because DPPt didn't have any data on it and wouldn't know what to do. It's the same reason why you couldn't trade Rotom-A or the Grisceous Orb but BW has data for all of that.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Posting to disprove this. I had both my Jarooda and a Uniran with Dustproof active during a Sandstorm and Jarooda got hit regardless.
Well, it's possible that Dustproof is just strictly inferior to Magic Guard, then. Hopefully we'll find that it does something in addition to avoiding weather-based damage.

Are we sure that Magic Guard still lets you avoid weather-based damage?

Well, it's possible that Dustproof is just strictly inferior to Magic Guard, then. Hopefully we'll find that it does something in addition to avoiding weather-based damage.

Are we sure that Magic Guard still lets you avoid weather-based damage?
Yes, i just tested it

Slip Through: Does it bypass any of the following: Protect\Detect, Substitute, Safeguard, stat boosts, Fast Guard, Wide Guard, any other "protection" moves I haven't thought of?
Using a pokemon with the slip through ability in a double battle

Dragon claw failed on Protect
Toxic failed against both substitude and safeguard
Substitude still took the damage from dragon claw
Extremespeed failed on fast Guard

In other words, slip through doesn't bypass any of those.

does sturdy still negate one hit ko moves from working or do they still hit but due to the built in sash effect fail to KO on that use?

Serebii's phrasing of Stench's new effect seems vague. It is essentially a King's Rock as an ability or does it increase the likelihood of an already flinching move (i.e. a worse Serene Grace)?

Also, what are these 'discipline' moves that are strengthened under Discipline Band?
My conjecture is that the discipline moves may be these:

I've looked over the flags, and here's my educated guess about what they do, in order from least significant (far right) flag to most significant (far left) flag:

12. This one has me stumped. Most (if not all) Flying-type attacks have it, along with 'pulse' attacks, like Water Pulse, Healing Pulse, Aura Sphere, etc. Maybe these are boosted by an effect now? *Keeps fingers crossed for Tailwind*
Posting to say that upon learning the "Discipline Band" is directly translated as "Pressure Band", I am almost 100% certain that these moves are affected by it. Many Flying type moves (Air Slash, Air Cutter, Aeroblast), as well as moves that cause a Pulse or Wave effect, work based on causing damaging levels of pressure, which would be amplified by this held item's effect, logically.

They only prevent OHKO moves if you're at full health now.
Not really true.

Tested Sheer Cold with Dewgong on a Gantoru with Sturdy.

Full health, Sheer Cold failed due to Sturdy activated.
2nd battle, used Aurora Beam first, brought Gantoru down to around 40% health. 2nd turn, used Sheer Cold and it failed due to Sturdy.
3rd battle, used Surf which activated Sturdy. 2nd turn, used Sheer Cold and Sturdy still activated.

Fissure/Sheer Cold/Guillotine/whatever are still completely blocked by Sturdy.

Not really true.

Tested Sheer Cold with Dewgong on a Gantoru with Sturdy.

Full health, Sheer Cold failed due to Sturdy activated.
2nd battle, used Aurora Beam first, brought Gantoru down to around 40% health. 2nd turn, used Sheer Cold and it failed due to Sturdy.
3rd battle, used Surf which activated Sturdy. 2nd turn, used Sheer Cold and Sturdy still activated.

Fissure/Sheer Cold/Guillotine/whatever are still completely blocked by Sturdy.
Really? I swear someone hit my Abagoora with Fissure. (And yes, it has Sturdy, not Solid Rock)
Maybe I just thought it was Fissure, or maybe it had Mold Breaker. Now I'm not sure.

edit: OH! I think I was Gastro Acid'd before. That must've been it.

Light Metal: Does it just halve weight, or does it also lower damage from weight-based moves? (Based on the fact that Grass Knot\Low Kick is 120 power against Light Metal Metagross which, quite frankly, makes it a pretty sucktacular ability.)
Weavile low kick against Standard DPPt CB Scizor: 113 damage
Against one with Light Metal ability: 95 damage

In other words Low kick and Grass indeed incalculate the lower weight(in this case 100 power against standard and 80 against the light metal one)

Will test dustproof now

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Serebii has just updated his website about (I believe) all the updated ability effects. I thought someone said that the Pickup ability now has effect to copy the opponent's berry when it's used. I even remember this happening when I faced a Yorterrie and it copied my Oran berry after I used it(the ability came up, and I was in a trainer battle. It was already yellow and didn't eat a berry until I ate one afterwards.) Was I just seeing things, XD. Or is it an old effect?
Confirming this - this happened during my 1st gym battle where my Mijumaru ate an Oran Berry and Yorterrie picked it up. Presumably, Pickup only works if the mon with it lacks a hold item

I haven't tested it with Focus Sash yet, but I know that against Sturdy, it has to be the first hit to activate the ability. The second hit can and will KO, even if the opponent is not at 1HP yet. I have a feeling Focus Sash works the same way, so I'll double check when I get a chance.

Edit: I don't see anything listed as tentative for multi-hit attack research.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)