B&W Research Thread

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but can someone confirm (or disprove) that Hyper Beam/Giga Impact and related moves now allow you to switch on the turn after using them, instead of forcing you to stay in?

Someone posted this change on another site, but I'm not sure how trustworthy he is.

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but can someone confirm (or disprove) that Hyper Beam/Giga Impact and related moves now allow you to switch on the turn after using them, instead of forcing you to stay in?

Someone posted this change on another site, but I'm not sure how trustworthy he is.
Disproved. I KO'd Cheren's Leopardas (or whatever the name of that thing is) with my Hihidaruma's Giga Impact and I couldn't do anything next turn.

What level are these Pokemon at? It might make a smidge of difference.
They are all lvl 100. I've done it 3 more times(took surprisingly long due to my opponent using growl all the time and Heavy Bomber critting)

Snorlax(460kg) with 256 attack using Heavy bomber on all these pokemon having exact 216 def

Torterra(352kg): 36-37-35-34 damage
Dragonite(210kg): 56-60-56-54-damage
Mewtwo(122kg): -53-53-57-53 damage
Altaria(20kg): 113-107-106-112 damage
Mew(4kg): 110-108-113-106 damage

I'll continue tomorrow, i'm tired

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
MauriiDS already said it was not-very-effective.
My apologies. I'll try to read more carefully.

You can tell from the data that it does indeed hit all other Pokemon of the same type on the field, allies and opponents alike, although I don't know whether it'll hit non-adjacent targets.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
They are all lvl 100. I've done it 3 more times(took surprisingly long due to my opponent using growl all the time and Heavy Bomber critting)

Snorlax(460kg) with 256 attack using Heavy bomber on all these pokemon having exact 216 def

Torterra(352kg): 36-37-35-34 damage
Dragonite(210kg): 56-60-56-54-damage
Mewtwo(122kg): -53-53-57-53 damage
Altaria(20kg): 113-107-106-112 damage
Mew(4kg): 110-108-113-106 damage

I'll continue tomorrow, i'm tired
Thank you again for all your help, you've earned your rest.

When you get back, could you check on the damages on Mewtwo? In your previous post, you mentioned you got 65 damage against it. But there's no move base power that hits for as low as 53 damage AND as high as 65 damage.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus

Important change:

Lunar Dance works a little different now. In Gen. IV, if Cresselia was faster than the opponent, she used the move, died, got replaced, the team-mate was healed, and the opponent attacked. In that order. So it worked more or less like Baton Pass.

Now, however, she uses the move, dies, the opponent misses, gets replaced, and the team-mate gets healed. So it now works more or less like Explosion.

Whether this concerns Healing Wish or not is anyone's guess.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
By the way, Raikou's post reminded me of something:

The other day, Maverick Hunter told me he could give his pokémon all 6 vitamins by a maximum of 10 each. This either is a glitch (lol 600 EVs), or the vitamins' EV gain has changed. Could anyone test it?

Okay, so I went and did a few more multi-hit tests. Here are my tests/results:

1. Physical contact multi-hit versus Rough Skin (Emboar Arm Thrust versus Rough Skin Kurimugan)
Result: The multi-hit Pokemon received Rough Skin damage for every successful hit. In other words, if the move (Arm Thrust) hit 5 times, Emboar lost 5/16th of its HP that turn.

*These next tests were done with the help of user jumpluff via WiFi*

2. Multi-hit versus Focus Sash (Emboar Arm Thrust versus Chillarmy @ Focus Sash)
Result: The Focus Sash only activated if the first attack would have resulted in a OHKO. If the move did 75% damage with the first hit, the second hit KOed. This is the same result I had for Sturdy.

3. Which activates first? Focus Sash or Sturdy? (Emboar Arm Thrust versus Sturdy Onix @ Focus Sash)
Result: The first hit activated Sturdy instead of Focus Sash, then Onix died from the second hit before Focus Sash activated (since it was already at 1HP at that point).

Jumpluff and I will be testing Snatch soon, and she'll report our findings on that.

2. Multi-hit versus Focus Sash (Emboar Arm Thrust versus Chillarmy @ Focus Sash)
Result: The Focus Sash only activated if the first attack would have resulted in a OHKO. If the move did 75% damage with the first hit, the second hit KOed. This is the same result I had for Sturdy.
Did you mean to put an If in that sentence?

Has anyone yet confirmed whether Archaeos's (rock/flying) ability Faint of Heart halfs just his attack or ALL of his stats? Or something in between? If its just attack, he could still be competitive, but if its all stats he'd be unusable considering the stealth rock weakness.

Did you mean to put an If in that sentence?
Yes, I did. I'm saying if the multi-hit move is a 2HKO, then it KOs on the second hit without Focus Sash activating. If it's a OHKO, then the Focus Sash activates, but then the second hit KOs anyways.

Anyhow, I know I said jumpluff will be posting with our Snatch results, but she was tired and went to bed, so she asked me to post instead. Here's what we tested/found:

What Snatch successfully stole:
-Magnetic Rise
-Wish
-Recycle (Sitrus Berry)

What Snatch failed against:
-Conversion

Interesting notes:
-Snatching Lunar Dance did not KO the Snatch user, but it prevented its opponent from executing it
-Snatching Substitute worked even if the opponent was already behind a Substitute. In other words, if a Pokemon uses Snatch while its opponent selects Substitute with a Pokemon who is already behind a Substitute, both Pokemon end up with a Substitute by the end of the turn

We tested Power Trick too, but the results were a bit confusing, so we will test it again tomorrow. We will test Aqua Ring and Healing Wish then as well.

i'm curious about the new DW ability "Self-Conscience".

i'd like to know how much of a boost is given (likely x1.5 though), and what types activate the ability.

could actually be a very useful ability for Granbull.

EDIT: sorry my bad.

What I want to know is if the combination moves (A.K.A. the starter Oaths) last for the entire match or if they're set for a certain amount of turns.

Because if they lasted the whole match then the Water + Grass one would be incredibly useful in Doubles and Triples. (Water Oath + Grass Oath creates a swamp leaving the whole enemy team's speed lowered.)

So from what I've gathered in this thread is that there is so far an indeterminate chance that certain dreamworld abilities can be passed on by the parents. Sooo, what about, for example, Eevee? If I were to pass the dreamworld ability to an Eevee, when it evolved, would it have the corresponding Dream World ability?

My apologies if this was already confirmed, if that's the case disregard this post.

Earlier in this thread, it was rumored that Explosion no longer halves the Defense of the target, and it's indeed TRUE.

Pokémon used for both tests:
Golem (Adamant 281 Atk 31 IV/0 EV) vs Cresselia (Bold 444 HP 31 IV/252 EV, 303 Def 31 IV/0 EV)

SelfDestruct:
_if old mechanics (266 - 314 HP / 59,9 - 70,7 %);
_if new mechanics (133 - 157 HP / 30,0 - 35,4 %);
against Cresselia, Golem's SelfDestruct dealt 139 HP.

Explosion:
_if old mechanics (333 - 392 HP / 75,0 - 88,3 %);
_if new mechanics (166 - 196 HP / 37,4 - 44,1 %);
against Cresselia, Golem's Explosion dealt 190 HP.

It means that now Explosion has really an effective base power of 250, and the same holds true for SelfDestruct with an effective base power of 200.

Wow I would have never thought SelfDestruct and Explosion to be nerfed like that.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would like to find out as much as possible as quickly as possible about the stat formula. Is this likely to be achievable in the near future?

This is to allow us to start running wifi tournaments with some (albeit tokenish) measures against cheating.

Have a nice day.

By the way, Raikou's post reminded me of something:

The other day, Maverick Hunter told me he could give his pokémon all 6 vitamins by a maximum of 10 each. This either is a glitch (lol 600 EVs), or the vitamins' EV gain has changed. Could anyone test it?
At first glance the boost still seems to be 10 per Vitamin. I tested this with a couple of Carbos and an EV check AR code. I can't do further testing ATM.

EDIT: I can confirm the Max amount of EV's is still 510. I tested this with the AR EV check code on my fully (randomly) EV'ed starter. It also won't take more Vitamins, so there's no glitch there.

Thank you again for all your help, you've earned your rest.

When you get back, could you check on the damages on Mewtwo? In your previous post, you mentioned you got 65 damage against it. But there's no move base power that hits for as low as 53 damage AND as high as 65 damage.
I redid the test, by giving Snorlax substitude, instead of switching out after every growl. As it appears growl has fucked up my results more then i initially thought.

Torterra(352kg): 40-38-36-36-40 damage
Dragonite(210kg): 60-59-54-53-54 damage
Mewtwo(122kg): - 81-75-73-76-77 damage
Altaria(20kg): 102-104-111-110-106 damage
Mew(4kg): 114-111-104-113-108 damage

Regarding the weight of each pokemon i suppose these results make a lot more sense. If i made a mistake somewhere or if you need more data for the correct formula don't hesitate to tell me.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
I know this is too early, but is there a way to verify your seed(s) from doing that infamous RNG-abusing?

How about the breeding center, are there more than one NPCs ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)