B&W Research Thread

I will laugh so hard if this means it can't be healed by Aromatherapy.
lol I forgot about Aromatherapy. Used an Aromatherapy Jumpluff and it healed Mebukijika in singles.
It also heals him in doubles when he's one of the active pokemon. Haven't tested in triples or rotation battles.

Hia everyone ^^.

Just got Pokerus while I was healing my Pokemons at the Pokécenter. I infected a few others, just like in 4th gen, and put them in a Box.

Just to say that, about Pokerus, nothing seems to have changed, if that has any kind of utility.

Code:
Choice Band Gliscor and Choice Band Flygon with U-Turn:

Turn 1:
Aianto used Iron Head
Gliscor used U-Turn
Gliscor went back to dbolt
dbolt sent in Flygon

Turn 2:
Flygon used Outrage
Aianto used Crunch

---------

Choice Scarf Gliscor and Choice Scarf Flygon with U-Turn:

Turn 1:
Gliscor used U-Turn
dbolt sent in Flygon
Koromori used Future Sight

Turn 2:
Flygon used Outrage
Koromori fainted

---------
Choice Specs Gliscor and Choice Specs Flygon with U-Turn:

Turn 1:
Gliscor used U-Turn
dbolt sent in Flygon
Gantoru used Power Gem

Turn 2:
Flygon used Outrage
Gantoru used Stealth Rock

---------
Choice Specs Emonga and Choice Specs Gigigiaru with Volt Change:

Turn 1:
Emonga used Volt Change
Emonga went back to dbolt
dbolt sent in Gigigiaru
Aianto used Metal Claw

Turn 2:
Aianto used Metal Claw
Gigigiaru used Return

-----------
Choice Scarf Emonga and Choice Scarf Gigigiaru with Volt Change:

Turn 1:
Emonga used Volt Change
dbolt sent in Gigigiaru
Gantoru used Power Gem

Turn 2:
Gigigiaru used Return
Gantoru used Knock Down

-------------
Choice Band Emonga and Choice Band Gigigiaru with Volt Change:

Turn 1:
Emonga used Volt Change
dbolt sent in Gigigiaru
Aianto used Metal Claw

Turn 2:
Gigigiaru used Return
Aianto used Metal Claw
Choiced Pokemon aren't locked into U-Turn/Volt Change if the previous Choiced Pokemon used the same respective move.
I'm doing this again, but I think that that bug was fixed in Platinum or at least HGSS...

While thinking about the move Trickery (Dark, Physical, 95 Power, 100 Accuracy) that uses the target's Attack stat in calculating damage instead of the user's, I had a question: is the move more powerful if the target is holding a Choice Band, Life Orb, etc.? I guess an intrinsic part of this question becomes whether these Attack-boosting items raise the holder's Attack stat or instead raise damage output, in Gen 5.

Also worth testing would be if Trickery does more damage when the user is holding a Choice Band/Life Orb/etc.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Their actual attack stat, rather than their damage output, is boosted from Choice Band, so Trickery WILL get a CB boost.

However, Life Orb boosts the damage output, so you will not receive extra power if your opponent has a Life Orb.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Did a few tests with Dragon Tail:

Turn 1:
Giratina-O and Zekrom vs Shimama x2
Shimama and Shimama used Quick Attack (both aimed at giratina and did no damage)
Giratina-O used Substitute
Zekrom used Dragon Tail!
The substitute took the damage!

Dragon Tail does not phaze Substitute

Turn 2:
Shimama x2 used Quick Attack at Zekrom
Giratina-O used Dragon Pulse. One Shimama fainted
Zekrom used Dragon Tail
Giratina-O's substitute faded

Even during Substitute's fade, Dragon Tail fails to phaze

But of course, due to that mechanic, I tested Roar against Substitute later. Roar still phazes through Substitute.

Putting it short:
Taunt blocks Roar / Whirlwind, but not Dragon Tail
Substitute blocks Dragon Tail, but not Whirlwind / Roar.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Their actual attack stat, rather than their damage output, is boosted from Choice Band, so Trickery WILL get a CB boost.

However, Life Orb boosts the damage output, so you will not receive extra power if your opponent has a Life Orb.
I think your logic is sound, but we should test it just to make sure if we haven't already.

Adding to this, if you use Trickery and hold a Life Orb, the damage should be increased from that as well, provided the Damage Formula works the same way as it did in Gen 4. Someone should test to see if the damage is increased when the user holds a Life Orb, Expert Belt, Black Glasses, etc. as well.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Did a few tests with Dragon Tail:

*snip*

Putting it short:
Taunt blocks Roar / Whirlwind, but not Dragon Tail
Substitute blocks Dragon Tail, but not Whirlwind / Roar.
Does Dragon Tail\Overhead Throw sweep away the Substitute even when it doesn't do enough damage to break it?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Does Dragon Tail\Overhead Throw sweep away the Substitute even when it doesn't do enough damage to break it?
Dragon Tail simply did regular damage against a Substitute. As I mentioned in the test, the first Dragon Tail failed to break the sub and it had no other effect.

Do Pokemon with the Slip Through ability use a different formula for damage calculation that only uses BP, Pokemon's Attack Stat, STAB, Weakness/Resistance, and Defending Pokemon's HP?

Method of Testing: Compare the damage output of a Mischievous Heart Erufuun and a Slip Through Erufuun with Energy Ball. These Erufuun should have the same nature boost for SP.ATK and a similar IV (+- 5 points I'd say). Test on the same pokemon when doing this to avoid error.

Edit: To be slightly more blunt: Does Slip Through completely ignore the defending Pokemon's attack stat when attacking?

Also, do Power Items still "carry over" IVs in the daycare like in HGSS?

Policy Question: Would is be wise to put the tests of things proven in the OP? (i.e. have the link to the video/post that is supposed to prove/disprove it)?
Unsure if this was noticed: no one has appeared to acknowledge it so I assume not.

If a Steel type is hit by the Water type move SOAK, and then Toxic, switches out, and switches back in later, will it still be Poisoned?

Unsure if this was noticed: no one has appeared to acknowledge it so I assume not.

If a Steel type is hit by the Water type move SOAK, and then Toxic, switches out, and switches back in later, will it still be Poisoned?
The same thing could be applied to Poison types and Fire types being inflicted with Burn. I'd also like to know when, if ever, the Pokemon is curred of Poison. Is it right when the Pokemon switches out? When it switches back in? If the battle ends and it has not been cured of Poison yet, will it be cured immediately or will it take the usual Poison damage while walking around?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Slip Through using a completely different damage formula is pretty... extreme. Unless someone shows me some evidence that it is using a different formula, it's not something that's going to be put through testing. Test the simple cases first.

Also such a formula would probably do crap damage to low-level Pokemon. Well, crappier anyway.

In the past, Steels that were poisoned by changing their type (usually through Skill Swapping Color Change) remained poisoned. But we'll see if that's changed.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but it is a game mechanic question, so here goes.

If you're battling someone over a random Wi-Fi match, is there a CPU-enforced Sleep Clause active? Basically I'm asking anybody who has battled on random Wi-Fi, has there been a time when you had two Pokémon asleep at once, not including ones that had used Rest?

Slip Through using a completely different damage formula is pretty... extreme. Unless someone shows me some evidence that it is using a different formula, it's not something that's going to be put through testing. Test the simple cases first.

Also such a formula would probably do crap damage to low-level Pokemon. Well, crappier anyway.

In the past, Steels that were poisoned by changing their type (usually through Skill Swapping Color Change) remained poisoned. But we'll see if that's changed.
The good thing is that it's fairly easy to test for. I'm not sure how different it would be. I was under the impression that you just "Slip Through" its defenses (literally). I thought about Type Match-ups as well but I remember an ability like that already in 4th gen that din't have such an awkward description.

Another question would be (if the first doesn't apply) does it hit through things like Wonder Guard and Magic Guard? If you think about it DOES count as a "wall" of defense.

Pardon my fascination with "Slip Through". Erufuun is one of my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon... :toast:

Oath research

Fire\Water\Grass Oath: How long do the effects of two combined Oaths last?

I researched 'Oath' Series, and I discoverd how long do the effect of combination move's and what is the effect's detail.

Here it is.

[Combination's Rule]

Glass + Fire -> FIre
Fire + Water -> Water
Water + Glass -> Glass

- Combination Move's power is oath's double. 100.

- Three move cannot mix in triple battle.

- If you use three oath in triple battle, two oath mix what two faster pokemon used. for example in triple battle, If A's speed is 113 and use Glass oath, B's speed is 65 and use Fire oath, and C's speed is 70 and use Water oath, Glass oath and Water oath mix.

[Target]

combination move hit target that lower speed pokemon attack to.
(hmm.....Sorry, but I'm NOT american and I can't speak english very well. Can you understand what I say? llllllOTL)

example)

speed of pokemon A = 100
speed of pokemon B = 80

If A use Glass oath to opponent X and B use Fire oath to opponent Y, Combination move hit Y(B's target).

[Effect]

All effect's duration is 4 turns.

1. Glass + Fire -> FIre

All opponent damaged 1/8 of their maximum HP at the end of each turn.

2. Fire + Water -> Water

All opponent's speed lowered by 50%.

3. Water + Glass -> Glass

Rainbow double the chance of a move having an additional effect like ability Serene Grace. however, it does not improve the chance of a move having an additional effect that pokemon with Serene Grace use. so, If Togekiss having Serene Grace use Air Slash to opponent, Chance of flinching opponent is 60%. Do you understand what I say?

evidence? hmm.... Try yourself. Sorry.
English is very very DIFFICULT for me. lllllllOTL

Question

Does Frozen World(Kyurem's signature move) have a secondary Effect?

(((something new 330))) <- Frozen World's secondary effect. What is it?

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Does Frozen World(Kyurem's signature move) have a secondary Effect?

(((something new 330))) <- Frozen World's secondary effect. What is it?
If you'd checked Serebii you would have seen that it lowers the target's speed.

Not sure if it was posted before, didn't see it on the first post

It looks like breeding mechanics have changed. It looks like the PID is generated when you pick up the egg now, instead of when it is laid. I was trying to breed a Hitomoshi. I saved before picking up the egg. Soft reseted and hatched the same egg 3 times. Two were female, one was male, each had a different nature and 2 had Flash fire while the other had flame body.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Not sure if it was posted before, didn't see it on the first post

It looks like breeding mechanics have changed. It looks like the PID is generated when you pick up the egg now, instead of when it is laid. I was trying to breed a Hitomoshi. I saved before picking up the egg. Soft reseted and hatched the same egg 3 times. Two were female, one was male, each had a different nature and 2 had Flash fire while the other had flame body.
Haven't had a chance to look into it yet, thank you.

Well, this is going to make breeding - and RNGing - more of a pain than ever. Does Everstone still boost the chance of getting the mother's nature?

Does Everstone still boost the chance of getting the mother's nature?
I've not done extensive amounts of breeding, i've only hatched about 12 eggs. I gave a ditto an everstone, and put it in with a male parent. Of the 12 eggs, none of them were the same nature of the ditto. I know 12 eggs isn't much, but i'm guessing they probably changed this also.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I've not done extensive amounts of breeding, i've only hatched about 12 eggs. I gave a ditto an everstone, and put it in with a male parent. Of the 12 eggs, none of them were the same nature of the ditto. I know 12 eggs isn't much, but i'm guessing they probably changed this also.
Were you breeding a Pokemon from a Japanese game with a Pokemon from an English game?

If you'd checked Serebii you would have seen that it lowers the target's speed.
http://stuff.veekun.com/bw-moves.html

If Frozen World is different from Icy Wind, Why Icy Wind's additional effect is "Has a $effect_chance% chance to lower the target's Speed by one level."?

Icy Wind : Has a $effect_chance% chance to lower the target's Speed by one level.

Frozen World : (((something new 330)))

I think Frozen World have additional effect we don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)