B&W Research Thread

Hey, Tailwind might actually be useful now!

"Minimize raises evasion by 2 levels now"

I'm not going to battle in the Battle Subway if any Pokemon in there uses that move. :/

edit: "Future Sight is no longer typeless"

What? Does that mean Doom Desire is not typeless anymore as well? If it is, Jirachi is going to F&%$ some s§$% up.

Doom Desire is no longer typeless as well.
Used Doom Desire against a wild Aianto and it was hit with not very effective damage.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK, so here's the next question: If Future Sight and Doom Desire are no longer typeless, is type-effectiveness calculated when you use the move, or when the move hits?

We need to test the same thing for type immunity, since it uses a different system.

EDIT: The reason I ask this is that these moves used to calculate damage right when they were used and then deliver that flat amount of damage two turns later. This behavior may have changed, and testing the type-effectiveness is a good first step.

Tentative Encore now lasts exactly 3 turns.
Tested. 3 turns every time, out of 20.

Tentative Taunt now lasts exactly 3 turns.
Same as Encore.

Tentative Growth now raises the user's Attack and SpAtk.
Tested and true.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
OK, guys. I know that a lot of you are reluctant to test things in double and triple battles, but I'd like to know what Wide Guard actually does. I've heard that it protects your team completely from attacks that hit multiple Pokemon. I've heard that it acts like Protect for your entire team (unlikely). I've heard it acts like Endure for your entire team.

Does anybody actually know what this move does?

OK, guys. I know that a lot of you are reluctant to test things in double and triple battles, but I'd like to know what Wide Guard actually does. I've heard that it protects your team completely from attacks that hit multiple Pokemon. I've heard that it acts like Protect for your entire team (unlikely). I've heard it acts like Endure for your entire team.

Does anybody actually know what this move does?
Yes. I haven't actually tested it myself, but I was grinding in an area full of Nageki and wild double battles. And the Nageki loved to use Wide Guard.

Everytime it used Wide Guard and I used Rock Slide/EQ, it made both Nageki and its partner avoid the attack. If I used a single target move like Crunch or Air Slash, Wide Guard didn't protect neither Nageki nor its partner from anything.

So I'm pretty sure it just protects the user and its partners from multi-target moves, but does nothing against single target moves.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Yes. I haven't actually tested it myself, but I was grinding in an area full of Nageki and wild double battles. And the Nageki loved to use Wide Guard.

Everytime it used Wide Guard and I used Rock Slide/EQ, it made both Nageki and its partner avoid the attack. If I used a single target move like Crunch or Air Slash, Wide Guard didn't protect neither Nageki nor its partner from anything.

So I'm pretty sure it just protects the user and its partners from multi-target moves, but does nothing against single target moves.
Awsome, thanks! One more thing I'm wondering: does it protect against moves like Surf, Explosion, and Earthquake that also hit the user's allies?

(I'm also wondering if it protects against Perish Song, but that's not a high testing priority and I'm pretty sure the answer is no.)

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the 'EQ' in your post. Sorry for not reading more carefully!

EDIT: Does it protect from those moves in single battles, too? It shouldn't really matter since you'd just use Protect instead, but for completeness we should eventually find out.

I don't think anyone really expected anything to the contrary, but I just tested and can confirm that using Volt Change against a Pokemon with Motor Drive or Lightningrod does not let you switch out.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Someone on YouTube has said that you cannot migrate a pokemon from 4th to 5th gen if it knows TM moves it cannot learn now, in addition to HM moves. Has anyone actually tried this, or are we all just assuming that it was possible? For instance, has anyone actually migrated something with Stealth Rock to their 5th-gen game?

The reason I even ask is because the OP mentions that you cannot use previous-generation-exclusive moves on random wi-fi matches, so perhaps the game considers them to be illegal. I know, for instance, that you cannot use poorly-made hacks on random battles either, but you can use them in friend code matches just fine.
I have shifted Pokemon, notably the Scizor that was used in the test for confirming Random WiFi does a fresh mode. Bullet Punch was fine, having Superpower would not let it on. It was shifted successfully with Superpower.

Pokeshifted Pokemon don't lose moves, as far as I can see.

EDIT: Does it protect from those moves in single battles, too? It shouldn't really matter since you'd just use Protect instead, but for completeness we should eventually find out.
Tested. Found a Wild Nageki, used Rock Slide, it used Wide Guard and protected itself. However, in a later battle, it used Wide Guard and Drain Punch hit it alright.

I have shifted Pokemon, notably the Scizor that was used in the test for confirming Random WiFi does a fresh mode. Bullet Punch was fine, having Superpower would not let it on. It was shifted successfully with Superpower.

Pokeshifted Pokemon don't lose moves, as far as I can see.

Odd that there's no no HM restriction like Pal Park... maybe it checks for multiples before shifting.
Wait, I heard there WAS an HM restriction. Are you saying Pokemon with HMs CAN be PokeShifted??? Goes against what I heard.

In that case, maybe someone should try shifting the Spiky-Eared Pichu, see if that's possible.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wait, I heard there WAS an HM restriction. Are you saying Pokemon with HMs CAN be PokeShifted??? Goes against what I heard.

In that case, maybe someone should try shifting the Spiky-Eared Pichu, see if that's possible.
I never got anything shifted with HMs. Just speculating, sorry ):

About my previous Random WiFi post (the first), the guy testing didn't bother testing gen 3 tutors. Gengar+Counter worked...

He's testing other pkm and gen 3 tutors now. (he is going to receive a lashing for this)

edit: he's testing stealth rock exclusivity now
I swear he's gonna get lashed hard for this if he misinformed... (lol)

closing edit:
For now I'd just change the Random WiFi freshness info to exclude certain gen 4 tutors. If there is a Gen 3 remake, there could be a return of tutored moves / new ones we do not know of but the Random WiFi allows.

There probably are inconsistencies, but until a legitimately shifted pokemon is tested for every questionable move we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
I don't think anyone really expected anything to the contrary, but I just tested and can confirm that using Volt Change against a Pokemon with Motor Drive or Lightningrod does not let you switch out.
How about against Ground-types? (Pretty sure it's already been tested, but never hurts to confirm.

Confirming this - this happened during my 1st gym battle where my Mijumaru ate an Oran Berry and Yorterrie picked it up. Presumably, Pickup only works if the mon with it lacks a hold item
Have a Youtube Video confirming this 100%.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNhWeq8pyyA
At 1:55, Smugleaf eats an Oran Berry. at 1:57, Yappy Dog's ability activates and it gains the same healing amount as an Oran Berry. This is even confirmable by the fact that it survived one Vine Whip the next turn, and a Potion allowed it to survive two Vine Whips. The ability activates immediately after any berry is consumed. Not sure if Pokemon on your side will pick it up in double battles, but all Pokemon on the opposing side with Pickup will do so. Not sure about any other items, will test with an Elemental gem vs. Wild Yappy Dogs later this week if no one else beats me to it.

EDIT: This is all regarding the Tentative status of Pickup in the OP.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Have a Youtube Video confirming this 100%.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNhWeq8pyyA
At 1:55, Smugleaf eats an Oran Berry. at 1:57, Yappy Dog's ability activates and it gains the same healing amount as an Oran Berry. This is even confirmable by the fact that it survived one Vine Whip the next turn, and a Potion allowed it to survive two Vine Whips. The ability activates immediately after any berry is consumed. Not sure if Pokemon on your side will pick it up in double battles, but all Pokemon on the opposing side with Pickup will do so. Not sure about any other items, will test with an Elemental gem vs. Wild Yappy Dogs later this week if no one else beats me to it.

EDIT: This is all regarding the Tentative status of Pickup in the OP.
Thanks, but that part was already confirmed. I believe it's still listed as tentative because of the other questions attached to it. I'll leave it as tentative for now until we understand how it works a bit better (aka, does it work on your allies' hold items? Does it work on non-berry items? Etc.).

So I was watching some Black and White wifi battles and I noticed something very interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqzmpeSn_F4#t=4m24s
Okay so disregarding the shitty narration, we see him switching to his Wargle as the opponent's Blissey uses Wish. On the next turn, Blissey switches out and is replaced with an Ononokusu. Wargle hits hard with a Brave Bird, bringing Ono down to critical health. This is where wish kicks in (@ 4:40) and heals Ono. Notice his health, though. Wish fully restores his health. This leads me to believe one of two things:

1) Wish now restores 100% health to the recipient (except not because I've seen evidence otherwise)
2) Wish now restores health equal to 50% of the users health to the recipient.

Someone should really get a test done on this for confirmation.

Okay, so my Blissey initial HP is 177 out of 714, Jirachis maximal HP is 404.
Jirachi uses Wish, I switch to Blissey next turn, taking 1 damage. (177-1=176)
The Wish comes true and it is left with 378 HP. 378-176=202 so:
2) Wish now restores health equal to 50% of the users health to the recipient.

This obviously is cool for Blissey, and other Pokemon with Wish and high HP. Still has downsides in not being able to recover much HP if you switch to Snorlax or if the user of Wish has low HP..

Not sure if this is known but something that is worth knowing about the rotation triple battles.

Pursuit does not hit the pokemon rotating out, it will hit the pokemon that rotates into the battle.

Test subject - Zeburaika (Zebra) vs my Purotooga (Turtle), I rotated Emboar's pre evo into battle, Pursuit then hit my starter and not the turtle I had just rotated out.

The Zebra was faster than both the turtle and my starter too.

Also while I was doing this battle;

Zebra outsped my fire starter, I used Nitro Charge to get +1 speed

Later in the battle they met again, my starter was faster than the Zebra this time. So Pokemon do keep any stat changes when they rotate out of battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)