B&W Research Thread

Which abilities can the ability Mummy not overwrite? In particular, can it overwrite Truant, Slow Start, Weak Kneed, or other abilities detrimental to the possessing pokemon?

I suspect it won't let you overwrite Truant, much to the chagrin of the pursuit-Mummy-Slaking hopefuls, and perhaps not even Slow Start, but someone should check to make sure.
Bringing this up again, as I don't think it was responded to, and there's currently a Slaking thread in which people are discussing strategies to get Mummy onto Slaking, so it would be useful to know if it's even possible.

lol, 76 moves later...

The_Chaser and I tested every Mischievous Heart applicable move in the game. In order to keep the test as accurate as possible, we only used Pokemon who could actually get Mischievous Heart in the game, and for each of these Pokemon, we only used moves that they could learn. Getting a list of these moves was made a lot easier thanks to Ditto's post here, so thanks a ton Ditto! Here are the moves we tested, and the Pokemon who we used to test them:

Natural Mischievous Heart Pokemon
-Growth
-Leech Seed
-Cotton Spore
-Tailwind
-Toxic
-Sunny Day
-Taunt
-Light Screen
-Protect
-Safeguard
-Double Team
-Rest
-Attract
-Flash
-Swagger
-Substitute
-Encore
-Tickle
-Fake Tears
-Grass Whistle
-Memento
-Switcheroo
-Worry Seed
-Stun Spore
-Poisonpowder
-Charm
-Helping Hand
-Cotton Guard
-Trick Room

-Heal Block
-Agility
-Charge
-Nasty Plot
-Bulk Up
-Rain Dance
-Embargo
-Thunderwave

Dream World Only Mischievous Heart Pokemon
-Haze
-Mean Look
-Postpone
-Torment
-Calm Mind
-Psych up
-Screech
-Roost
-Psycho Shift
-Featherdance
-Perish Song
-Confuse Ray
-Mirror Move
-Whirlwind

-Detect
-Foresight
-Leer
-Claw Sharpen
-Telekinesis
-Will-o-wisp
-Moonlight
-Recover
-Flatter
-Trick
-Captivate

-Tail Glow
-Baton Pass

-Wish
-Sweet Scent

-Endure
-Copycat
-Roar
-Swords Dance
-Mind Reader
-Iron Defense

-Growl
-Assist
-Sand Attack
-Snatch
-Yawn
-Covet

We used a max speed Crobat with Roost against these Pokemon for most of the tests (with a few exceptions, which I will go into detail about in a bit).

Here is the list of moves which successfully went before Crobat could move:
Leech Seed, Cotton Spore,Tailwind, Toxic, Sunny Day, Taunt, Light Screen, Protect, Safeguard, Double Team, Rest, Attract, Flash, Swagger, Substitute, Encore, Tickle, Fake Tears, Grass Whistle, Memento, Switcheroo, Worry Seed, Stun Spore, Poisonpowder, Charm, Helping Hand, Cotton Guard, Heal Block, Agility, Charge, Nasty Plot, Bulk Up, Rain Dance, Embargo, Thunderwave, Haze, Mean Look, Postpone, Torment, Calm Mind, Psych up, Screech, Roost, Psycho Shift, Featherdance, Perish Song, Confuse Ray, Detect, Foresight, Leer, Claw Sharpen, Telekinesis, Will-o-wisp, Moonlight, Recover, Flatter, Trick, Captivate, Tail Glow, Baton Pass, Wish, Sweet Scent, Endure, Copycat, Swords Dance, Mind Reader, Iron Defense, Growl, Assist, Sand Attack, Snatch, Yawn, Covet

Here is the list of moves that went before Crobat could move, but failed:
Mirror Move

Here is the list of moves that successfully went after Crobat moved:
Trick Room, Whirlwind, Roar

With these results in mind, we wanted to see if there was one all-encompassing rule for why Mischievous Heart worked the way it did. The obvious answer was that it gave each of these "non-attacking" moves +1 priority from their normal priority. To test this, we tried a few scenarios:

1. Slow Murkrow Whirlwind vs. Fast Aerodactyl Whirlwind
Result: Slow Murkrow's Whirlwind went first

2. Slow Riolu Bullet Punch vs. Fast Riolu Swords Dance
Result: Fast Riolu's Swords Dance went first

3. Slow Riolu Swords Dance vs. Fast Riolu Bullet Punch
Result: Fast Riolu's Bullet Punch went first

4. Slow Lucario Extremespeed vs. Fast Riolu Swords Dance
Result: Slow Lucario's Extremespeed went first

These tests all confirm that Mischievous Heart only adds 1 level of priority to any non-attacking moves.

Some other interesting finds:

-Mirror Move will fail against a regular attack when backed by Mischievous Heart, but if a faster Pokemon uses a priority attack (such as Bullet Punch), or any Pokemon uses a +2 priority or higher attack (such as Extremespeed), Mirror Move will succeed
-Mischievous Heart boosted Assist will allow the user use all moves at +1 priority, even those which normally have -6 priority, such as Whirlwind. You heard me right, that's a +1 priority Whirlwind... lol

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
That's such an incredible job there. I was so looking forward to finally getting all the info on this amazing ability ironed out. Thank you! 1 question though.
-Mischievous Heart boosted Assist will allow the user use all moves at +1 priority, even those which normally have -6 priority, such as Whirlwind. You heard me right, that's a +1 priority Whirlwind... lol
How sure are you that it's "all moves"? What moves did you test? Did you specifically test Whirlwind? Any others? Just curious. That's almost too good to be true!

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
**Awesome Tests**

With these results in mind, we wanted to see if there was one all-encompassing rule for why Mischievous Heart worked the way it did. The obvious answer was that it gave each of these "non-attacking" moves +1 priority from their normal priority. To test this, we tried a few scenarios:

1. Slow Murkrow Whirlwind vs. Fast Aerodactyl Whirlwind
Result: Slow Murkrow's Whirlwind went first

2. Slow Riolu Bullet Punch vs. Fast Riolu Swords Dance
Result: Fast Riolu's Swords Dance went first

3. Slow Riolu Swords Dance vs. Fast Riolu Bullet Punch
Result: Fast Riolu's Bullet Punch went first

4. Slow Lucario Extremespeed vs. Fast Riolu Swords Dance
Result: Slow Lucario's Extremespeed went first

These tests all confirm that Mischievous Heart only adds 1 level of priority to any non-attacking moves.
Nice work. #1 is good to know, but you should test if a faster Mischievous Whirlwind user moves before a slower Counter user and if a slower Mischievous Whirlwind user moves before a faster Counter user before you nail it down to exactly one priority level in all cases. Also, can a fast Mischievous Trick Room user go before a slow non-Mischievous Whirlwind user, etc. Once we test this, I'll move it from tentative to confirmed.

Some other interesting finds:

-Mirror Move will fail against a regular attack when backed by Mischievous Heart, but if a faster Pokemon uses a priority attack (such as Bullet Punch), or any Pokemon uses a +2 priority or higher attack (such as Extremespeed), Mirror Move will succeed
Whoa, hold on there. I think we're a long way from drawing conclusions about how Mirror Move works. In 4th gen, it was probably the most complicated move in the game, and its implementation has changed yet again in gen 5.

When you say that it fails against a regular-priority move, what move was that, Roost? Mirror Move doesn't replicate Roost because Roost doesn't target the Mirror Move user. And if it was an actual attack, did the Mirror Move user still fail to replicate the move on the following turn?

According to your Crobat test, what you mean is that it's a –5 priority Whirlwind, aka a Whirlwind with priority one level higher than normal. We need to be explicit when talking about these things or we get misunderstandings.

Mischievous Heart gives moves priority, so does Fast Guard then block these moves?
I just tested this with jumpluff with her using fast guard Lucario against a faster and a slower leech seed Erufuun with Mischievous Heart. In both tests leech side hit through fast guard so I assume does fast guard does not block Mischievous Heart moves and only works against moves with naturally built in priority.

Nice work. #1 is good to know, but you should test if a faster Mischievous Whirlwind user moves before a slower Counter user and if a slower Mischievous Whirlwind user moves before a faster Counter user before you nail it down to exactly one priority level in all cases. Also, can a fast Mischievous Trick Room user go before a slow non-Mischievous Whirlwind user, etc. Once we test this, I'll move it from tentative to confirmed.
Yeah that makes sense. I'll get that test done soon.

Whoa, hold on there. I think we're a long way from drawing conclusions about how Mirror Move works. In 4th gen, it was probably the most complicated move in the game, and its implementation has changed yet again in gen 5.

When you say that it fails against a regular-priority move, what move was that, Roost? Mirror Move doesn't replicate Roost because Roost doesn't target the Mirror Move user. And if it was an actual attack, did the Mirror Move user still fail to replicate the move on the following turn?
It didn't replicate Roost, so we tried an attacking move. Unfortunately, the only attacking move Crobat had was U-turn, so that was all we tested with it. here were the U-turn results:

Turn 1:
Murkrow used Mirror Move, but it failed!
Crobat used U-turn!
Crobat returned to its Pokeball. Philip7086 switched Crobat 2 out

Turn 2:
Crobat 2 used U-turn!
Crobat 2 returned to its Pokeball. Philip7086 switched Crobat out

So yeah, even after two turns, Mirror Move failed to produce an attack. Whether this was different from "usual" because of U-turn being a unique move or not, I don't know. The_Chaser and I can test this out more if you'd like.

According to your Crobat test, what you mean is that it's a –5 priority Whirlwind, aka a Whirlwind with priority one level higher than normal. We need to be explicit when talking about these things or we get misunderstandings.
No, I think I said it right there. I was explaining a situation where the Mischievous Heart Pokemon used Assist, and it happened to pick Whirlwind (yes, we tested this out). Whirlwind came out before the faster opponent could move. This sounds to me like Assist kept the +1 priority of Mischievous Heart and produced Whirlwind at that priority level, instead of -5. This was probably confusing, because earlier I said we tested Whirlwind straight with Mischievous Heart, which yielded what appeared to be a -5 priority. With the Assist buffer, though, the -priority of Whirlwind is ignored.

Edit:

How sure are you that it's "all moves"? What moves did you test? Did you specifically test Whirlwind? Any others? Just curious. That's almost too good to be true!
Yes, we specifically tested Whirlwind, and it worked. It also produced Close Combat among other moves, so I'm fairly sure on this.

So, Assist is essentially a Sleep Talk that doesn't require sleep status in regards to priority?

Roar/Whirlwind/Assist/Protect could be a rather interesting moveset, assuming something that can use it exists.

I'm assuming that Sleep Talk would work the same way, yes?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
It didn't replicate Roost, so we tried an attacking move. Unfortunately, the only attacking move Crobat had was U-turn, so that was all we tested with it. here were the U-turn results:

Turn 1:
Crobat used U-turn!
Crobat returned to its Pokeball. Philip7086 switched Crobat 2 out

Turn 2:
Crobat 2 used U-turn!
Crobat 2 returned to its Pokeball. Philip7086 switched Crobat out

So yeah, even after two turns, Mirror Move failed to produce an attack. Whether this was different from "usual" because of U-turn being a unique move or not, I don't know. The_Chaser and I can test this out more if you'd like.
Yeah, U-turn won't work for this case if Mirror Move still works mostly like it did last gen. The Mirror Move Pokémon "forgets" U-turn the moment your Crobat leaves the field.

No, I think I said it right there. I was explaining a situation where the Mischievous Heart Pokemon used Assist, and it happened to pick Whirlwind (yes, we tested this out). Whirlwind came out before the faster opponent could move. This sounds to me like Assist kept the +1 priority of Mischievous Heart and produced Whirlwind at that priority level, instead of -5. This was probably confusing, because earlier I said we tested Whirlwind straight with Mischievous Heart, which yielded what appeared to be a -5 priority. With the Assist buffer, though, the -priority of Whirlwind is ignored.
Oh, man, I totally misread that yet again! My eyes just skipped right over the word 'Assist'. My sincerest apologies!

Anyhow, I'll be updating the OP now with everybody's findings.

Yeah, U-turn won't work for this case if Mirror Move still works mostly like it did last gen. The Mirror Move Pokémon "forgets" U-turn the moment your Crobat leaves the field.
Yeah, I figured as much. We'll test this with a regular attack and the full priority conclusions of Mischievous Heart ASAP. Thanks for your insight!

So, Assist is essentially a Sleep Talk that doesn't require sleep status in regards to priority?

Roar/Whirlwind/Assist/Protect could be a rather interesting moveset, assuming something that can use it exists.

I'm assuming that Sleep Talk would work the same way, yes?
Assist picks a random move that any one of your party Pokemon knows, excluding the user. So you would have to have all the Pokemon on your entire team have Roar/Whirlwind and then you would have to get lucky.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Assist picks a random move that any one of your party Pokemon knows, excluding the user. So you would have to have all the Pokemon on your entire team have Roar/Whirlwind and then you would have to get lucky.
Except there are a lot of moves that Assist doesn't pick.

Does Assist still select:

Assist, Chatter, Copycat, Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Endure, Feint, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Me First, Metronome, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Mirror Move, Protect, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Snatch, Struggle, Switcheroo, Thief, Trick

And furthermore, does it select moves from all teammates, or just the conscious ones? (I know it hasn't been like this for the past two generations, but I always keep hoping they'll implement it like they did in Colosseum\XD.) I have a few Assist Pokemon, I'll test out this one.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Actually, if Assist works the way it did in 4th gen, having more Pokémon on your team know a move doesn't increase the probability of it being selected. Having both Roar and Whirlwind at least once each would help, though.

(Sorry, had to get my nitpicking quota in for today.)

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
About the new sleep mechanics:

Rest has also been affected by this. To summarize: if you use Rest, immediately switch out, then switch in and sleep 1 turn and then switch out again, the next time you switch in you'll have to sleep the whole 2 turns.

I'd also like to point something out. Several "test" (including precisely this one) have been done using the patch that somewhat translates the you-know-what. YouTube users claim that this affects several things (such as the Toxic Orb either crashing the game or locking a user's moves like a choice item). Just saying.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I can confirm that Assist can choose moves from dead mons. I witnessed this as I was playing through White.

Have a nice day.

Except there are a lot of moves that Assist doesn't pick.

Does Assist still select:

Assist, Chatter, Copycat, Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Endure, Feint, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Me First, Metronome, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Mirror Move, Protect, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Snatch, Struggle, Switcheroo, Thief, Trick
Other good moves to test would be the two turn moves like Fly, Shadow Force, and Free Fall. It seems odd that Assist would choose those moves when Sleep Talk wouldn't.

Actually, if Assist works the way it did in 4th gen, having more Pokémon on your team know a move doesn't increase the probability of it being selected. Having both Roar and Whirlwind at least once each would help, though.

(Sorry, had to get my nitpicking quota in for today.)
I didn't know Assist worked like that. You could also put Dragon Tail and the new Fighting move on your team, but those only have 90 Accuracy. Wide Lens could certainly fix that, though, since you don't really need the Speed that a Choice Scarf would give you like you would without Miscievous Heart.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Other good moves to test would be the two turn moves like Fly, Shadow Force, and Free Fall. It seems odd that Assist would choose those moves when Sleep Talk wouldn't.
It's not really that odd. Two-turn attacks would be kind of wonky if you could use them while you were asleep.

It's not really that odd. Two-turn attacks would be kind of wonky if you could use them while you were asleep.
Well, taking Mischievous Heart into consideration: +1 Assist picks Fly, you Fly up, opponents Pokemon moves, in turn 2 you have no priority and you then go last (if you are slower) so you don't get hit.
Awesome stall right there..

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Well, taking Mischievous Heart into consideration: +1 Assist picks Fly, you Fly up, opponents Pokemon moves, in turn 2 you have no priority and you then go last (if you are slower) so you don't get hit.
Awesome stall right there..
This is probably the way it works (which would be cool), but something's nagging at me. The move Bide normally has a +1 priority, but in 4th gen, if Bide was called by a 0-priority move (like Metronome), it would have 0 priority for all three turns. I'm 90% sure I remember it working this way.

So there is precedent; it's possible that that all turns of a multi-turn move called by Assist will have the same priority that Assist had, which could be very useful if Assist calls, say, Rollout. We'll need to run tests to verify how it works.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wonderful link, thanks!

The only question left unanswered is #4 (the video has no sound and is in Japanese, so I might have missed something). The video description mentions that it "does copy stat boosts", but doesn't clarify whether it copies the stat resulting from the boost or the +1 boost itself. That is, if I switch in on a Salamence that's already at +1, will I be able to:
  • boost 5 more times, as I am also now at +1?
  • or boost 6 more times but starting with Salamence's current stat as the base?
The latter. When Ditto switch in's he was effectively a Salamance at 1+ speed.

Also those Electra Ball Calcs don't look half bad! Although you'll need to use Agility to make any good use out of it.
Edit: It actually looks amazing. Since it works off the target speed, an agility mon will almost always hit max power using Electra ball! Awesome.

Does Toxic Spikes poison levitating Pokémon now?

Look at 0:50...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG6TJXbCWXw
That's what it looks like. There's no way anything used Gravity before Sazando switched in and its only ability is Levitate. Someone should still test it to make sure, as well as Spikes, because it could be that it's just a hacked Sazando.

One of my favorite new Pokemon. But I have Regeneration on mine and I swear it's not working for me... Is there some kind of limitation on when it works? Because I had 100/134 HP, I used U-Turn to bring out someone else, then when I checked the status screen, it still had only 100 HP... Shouldn't it have recovered even a little bit?
You probably got Inner Focus as your ability...
That's what I thought, but I looked at the characters of the ability, and it matches up exactly with the characters that make up "Regeneration."
These posts indicate that Regeneration does not activate when you switch out with U-turn. Someone should test this as well as other moves that could be considered different than regular switching like Volt Change, Baton Pass, Roar/Whirlwind, Dragon Tail/Overhead Throw, and Pursuit.

Edit: Regeneration also might not work if the Pokemon has more than 2/3 HP, since it wouldn't be able to heal the full 1/3 without it going over.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These posts indicate that Regeneration does not activate when you switch out with U-turn. Someone should test this as well as other moves that could be considered different than regular switching like Volt Change, Baton Pass, Roar/Whirlwind, Dragon Tail/Overhead Throw, and Pursuit.

Edit: Regeneration also might not work if the Pokemon has more than 2/3 HP, since it wouldn't be able to heal the full 1/3 without it going over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzQHt2TXsc

U-turn is used at 0:21 and kojondo takes LO recoil, when it comes back in at 5:27 it's back at full health.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzQHt2TXsc

U-turn is used at 0:21 and kojondo takes LO recoil, when it comes back in at 5:27 it's back at full health.
There seems to be an awful lot of hacking going on these games. At 1:25 Nattorei gets hit by Wargle's Brave Bird but Wargle doesn't even take damage from Iron Barbs. Either that, or something's wrong with the mechanics in these translated patches. (Doubtful, but not outside the realm of possibility.)

From now on any discovery that cites a video not made by finder should be considered tentative until it can be proven by one of our own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)