B&W Research Thread

We also tried to test against Wide Guard in a Doubles battle, but it seems Wide Guard did not work in general. When we attacked with a non-Slip Through Pokemon, it still hit the target (who should have been protected by Wide Guard), and so obviously, the same target was also hit with the Slip Through Pokemon.
From what I recall hearing in another post in this topic, wide guard only protects the opponent's team from attacks that hit more than one opponent.

The only way I can see this being tested with Erufuun though is if it learned razor leaf as Monmen. And even then, that's assuming Razor Leaf can still hit multiple opponents.

Oh, and a question of my own to add to the list. Does Slip Through ignore Endure? I dunno how strict they're trying to be with "protection" but since it's on the same counter as protect and detect and since it does technically keep your pokémon from fainting from direct attacks I would think it's worth a test.

In reply to the above two posts, here's what's posted on the OP:

Multi-hit moves are treated as separate attacks, triggering some abilities multiple times. This includes recoil from Rough Skin\Iron Barbs\Rugged Helmet, Breakable Armor activation, and Herbivore activation. (Philip7086 #1, #2)

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
As I said before, any editing at all, for example 999 masterballs stops people from having random battles. In my experience anyway.
This isn't true. Several people here have said they have used sav or AR and can still play randomwifi. I think this ought to be looked into though. Sounds about like PBR though.

Has this been confirmed?
I can confirm this. In a doubles Wild battle with a Herbivore Buffaron, my Hahakurimo used Leaf Blade and activated his ability. The next turn, my Hiyakki used Grass Knot and made him boost again. and a second Leaf Blade from my Hahakurimo made him get a third attack boost.

With all the multi-hit data users have compiled, I'm pretty sure Bullet Seed would activate it 2 to 5 times, giving the Herbivore Pokemon a +2 to +5 Atk. However, this begs a question: after Herbivore is activated, does the Bullet Seed stop? In other words, does it only hit once?

Another question that this brings up: Does Flash Fire now activate every time the FF Pokemon is by a Fire move, or is it just one boost? Do Motor Drive, Lightning Rod and Storm Drain also get "infinite" boosts?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In reply to the above two posts, here's what's posted on the OP:

Multi-hit moves are treated as separate attacks, triggering some abilities multiple times. This includes recoil from Rough Skin\Iron Barbs\Rugged Helmet, Breakable Armor activation, and Herbivore activation. (Philip7086 #1, #2)
I have no idea why I typed in "Herbivore activation". Neither one of those posts mention Herbivore at all. Shame on me.

For all the other moves, it make some sense that they would activate for each hit - because they are actually working and doing damage. If you use Fury Swipes against a Gengar, it doesn't go

It doesn't affect Gengar...
Hit 4 times!

We need a conclusive test on Bullet Seed against Herbivore. (I'm betting on only one +1 boost.)

Confirmed Using U-turn\Volt Change to switch from one Pokemon to another knowing the same move and holding a Choice item no longer locks it into that move. (dbolt)
Picklesword tested it in HGSS and it's already the same mechanic. The mechanic described is a bug that happened in DP and was fixed in Platinum.

This is also confirmed by Smogon:

In Diamond / Pearl, if the Pokémon switched to has a Choice Band, Choice Scarf, or Choice Specs, and also knows U-turn, it will be forced to use U-turn. In Platinum, the Pokémon switched to is free to use any move, even if they are holding a Choice Band, Choice Scarf, or Choice Specs.

I have no idea why I typed in "Herbivore activation". Neither one of those posts mention Herbivore at all. Shame on me.

For all the other moves, it make some sense that they would activate for each hit - because they are actually working and doing damage. If you use Fury Swipes against a Gengar, it doesn't go

Hit 4 times!

We need a conclusive test on Bullet Seed against Herbivore. (I'm betting on only one +1 boost.)
It's a shame nobody bet against you, because you're right. I just tested Bullet Seed vs. Herbivore with The_Chaser, and Herbavore only activated once, then the move stopped after the first immunity hit.

Let's say theres a 3v3 battle. Your team, Smeargle, Oobemu and any random pokemon say Espeon. The Oobemu uses Side change on Smeargle and they switch places on the battle field. Smeargle uses any attack, it's arbitrary, say Dragon Dance. Espeon uses Psychic on Smeargle.

So basically, what happens in this situation? Does Espeon hit the Smeargle or Oobemu?

Another question that this brings up: Does Flash Fire now activate every time the FF Pokemon is by a Fire move, or is it just one boost? Do Motor Drive, Lightning Rod and Storm Drain also get "infinite" boosts?
Flash Fire is a different type of ability from the others, but I can't confirm or deny how it works as I've never tested. It doesn't directly raise a stat, only the power of Fire type attacks.

Lightningrod and Motor Drive (and likely SD), cap out at +6, just as if you were using a stat up move of your own. After that, they will still absorb the electric attacks, but you are simply given the message "[pokemon] is unaffected".

Also, any speed/s.att boosts gained during this time count toward the +6. Nitro charge from the Zebra added 1 to the +speed counter, but only 5 Motor Drives boosted speed. This is normal however, and shouldn't be expected to act any differently.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
A sample of how Life Gamble works. Maybe someone skilled enough can extrapolate how much HP Metagross had and see if the move works as advertised. Also, in that same video, what example happens after the final hit of the match is delivered? The winner seems to lose HP for no reason, and it doesn't seem to be because of a Berry.

Also, my last post was apparently ignored, most probably since it was in the middle of the whole Assist research and during a page break.

A sample of how Life Gamble works. Maybe someone skilled enough can extrapolate how much HP Metagross had and see if the move works as advertised. Also, in that same video, what example happens after the final hit of the match is delivered? The winner seems to lose HP for no reason, and it doesn't seem to be because of a Berry.

Also, my last post was apparently ignored, most probably since it was in the middle of the whole Assist research and during a page break.
I'm pretty sure it's just Rugged Helmet activating at the end.

I apologize if this shouldn't be posted here as it isn't a battle mechanic but could affect a person's play through of Black and White.

I had one of my pokemon who knew Gyro Ball forget Gyro Ball for Fly. When entering battle Fly had 5pp remaining out of 15pp. I also had this happen when Tackle with 15pp was forgotten for Cheer Up, Cheer up had 15pp remaining.

Again sorry if this post doesn't belong here but I figured I'd report it since I saw it.
(also sorry if it was mentioned before but I don't think it was)

I apologize if this shouldn't be posted here as it isn't a battle mechanic but could affect a person's play through of Black and White.

I had one of my pokemon who knew Gyro Ball forget Gyro Ball for Fly. When entering battle Fly had 5pp remaining out of 15pp. I also had this happen when Tackle with 15pp was forgotten for Cheer Up, Cheer up had 15pp remaining.

Again sorry if this post doesn't belong here but I figured I'd report it since I saw it.
(also sorry if it was mentioned before but I don't think it was)
Yeah, this was done to prevent the refill of PPs using TMs.

Been looking at Random battles lately and It seems like using PokeSAV to edit your file in anyway completely prevents you from having a random battle. Minor edits such as EVs/IVs and even changing Items around seems to prevent random battles.

I have tried releasing all edited Pokemon from the file and trying to random battle with clean Pokes, but still no luck. So if anyone else has tested this would be nice to hear about their experiences.
Im sorry but I think it is only you. I tried to play random wi-fi matches with a full team created in pokesav and there`s not problem at all for me.

Also tested another thing, when I tried to enter with Porygon 2 (pokesav`d) the wi-fi didn`t let me search for other players; it wasn`t because Porygon 2 was a pokesaved pokemon, it was because Porygon 2 had Pain Split. So I went to the move relearner, give her a Heart Scale and relearn Recover over Pain Split. After that I tried to play random wi-fi matches again and this time it worked flawlessly.

posting to confirm that bounce, fly, and air slash are all able to hit any opponent on the field in triple battles, including your own allies. also made a picture because I was bored.

Re-tested Healing Heart with The_Chaser, now that we know it's a doubles/triples ability! xD
Healing Heart: What are its chances of activating every turn? Does it act like Heal Bell, healing all members of the team, or does it heal only one at a time?
Here are the battle logs from our tests:

Scenario 1 Setup:

Murkrow | Healing Heart Tabunne | Sabeleye
Turn 1
Paralyzed Tabunne

Turn 2
Burned Murkrow

Turn 3
Toxiced Sabeleye

Turn 4
Nothing happened

Turn 5
Nothing happened

Turn 6
Tabunne healed Sabeleye (5 turns since first ally was statused)

Turn 7
Paralyzed Sabeleye

Turn 8
Nothing happened

Turn 9
Tabunne healed Murkrow (3 turns since last Healing Heart activation)

Turn 10
Paralyzed Murkrow
Tabunne healed Sabeleye (1 turn since last Healing Heart activation)

Scenario 2 Setup:

Murkrow | Sabeleye | Healing Heart Tabunne
Turn 1
Paralyzed Sabeleye

Turn 2
Paralyzed Murkrow

Turn 3
Tabunne healed Sabeleye (3 turns since first ally was statused)

Turn 4
Paralyzed Sabeleye

Turn 5
Nothing happened

Turn 6
Nothing happened

Turn 7
Tabunne healed Sabeleye (4 turns since last Healing Heart activation)

Turn 8
Paralyzed Sabeleye

Turn 9
Nothing happened

Turn 10
Nothing happened

Turn 11
Nothing happened

Turn 12
Tabunne healed Sabeleye (5 turns since last Healing Heart activation)

Turn 13
Paralyzed Sabeleye
Tabunne healed Sabeleye (1 turn since last Healing Heart activation)

To summarize, here's how often Healing Heart activated:

Turns it took to activate : How many times it took this long to activate
5 : 2
4 : 1
3 : 2
2 : 0
1 : 2

In terms of a percentage, out of all those turns, Healing Heart activated ~31.82% of the time an adjacent ally was statused. Yes, that's right, Healing Heart seemed to only heal allies who were directly adjacent to it. As you can see in Scenario 2, Tabunne only ever healed Sabeleye of its status, not Murkrow, whereas in Scenario 1, Tabunne healed both Pokemon at different times. From these tests, it appears Healing Heart cannot heal both teammates at the same time. Although, the sample where Tabunne was in the middle is probably not large enough to be conclusive on this. Healing Heart also did not heal any Pokemon in the party that weren't active. Finally, a Healing Heart Pokemon also seems to never heal itself of status, only its teammates.

-----

Edit: Just tested Uproar from the OP with Setsuna
Tentative Uproar now lasts exactly 3 turns. (TwilightMystery)
We can confirm that this is true. Out of 10 tests, Uproar lasted 3 turns each time.

Stench: Description now says the opponent may "flinch" at the smell. Is this like King's Rock, where the user has to attack with a move with no side effects, or is this a consistent chance for the opponent to not move at all? What is the rate?
I tested to see whether stench cause flinches with jumpluff and Philip7086. Firstly, I tested (with jumpluff) a Faster Stench Skuntank screech vs Muurando and it did not flinch once after 32 times . Then I tested (with Philip7086) a faster Stench Skuntank scratch vs Skarmory and it did not flinch once after 20 times. Furthermore, the Veekun and Serebii pokedex's don't mention stench as being able of causing flinches and jumpluff's japanese translation of stench also does not mention stench causing flinches. Therefore, I think its safe to assume that this myth is busted.

[Echo Voice Test]

HOW TO TEST

Reshiram (SpDef 195, HP 250)
Chirachino (SpAtt 124)
Jaroda (Gastro Acid)

1. Jaroda use Gastro Acid to Chirachino. (for delete Technician)
2. Chirachino use Echo Voice to Reshiram.
3. Check the reshiram's remain HP.
4. Use the Full Potion to Reshiram, and Chirachino use Echo Voice again.
5. Check the reshiram's remain HP.
6. Use the Full Potion to Reshiram, and Chirachino use Echo Voice again.
7. Repeat it.

test

(turn) [remainHP] [Damage] [expectation of base power]
1 226 24 40
2 198 52 80
3 177 73 120
4 142 108 160
5 135 115 200
6 120 130 200
7 132 118 200
8 126 124 200
9 124 126 200

in double battle

1. X used Echo Voice (BP 40)
Y used Echo Voice (BP 40)

2. X didn't used Echo Voice
Y used Echo Voice (BP 80)

3. X used Echo Voice (BP 120)
Y didn't used Echo Voice

4. X didn't used Echo Voice
Y didn't used Echo Voice (BP reseted)

5. X used Echo Voice (BP 40)
Y used Echo Voice (BP 40)

[RESULT]

Echo Voice starts out with a base power of 40. However, if used consecutively, each successful hit will do double the base power of the previous hit. Echo Voice can reach a maximum base power of 200. After this attack has been used 5 times in a row, the base power will no longer increase.

(base power 40 - 80 - 120 - 160 - 200 - 200 - 200 - ..... - 200 - ....)

English is TOO DIFFICULT TO ME.
Can you understand what I say?

Does Echo Voice's power increase if used by different Pokemon in the same turn in a Doubles\Triples battle?
Yes, it does. Also, power increased at rotation battle. BUT opponants's Echo Voice don't increased our Echo Voice's power.

1. If X didn't used Echo Voice and Y used it in the same turn, power increases.
2. If Y didn't used Echo Voice and X used it in the same turn, power increases.
3. If X and Y used Echo Voice in the same turn, power increases. but power increasing is not triple(40 -> 120). only double(40 -> 80).
4. If X and Y didn't use Echo Voice and opponant used it, power don't increase.

[Fury Cutter + (good something) -> Echo Voice]

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
New rule added to the first post:

- Evidence from a translated patch of Black\White will only considered tentative until confirmed by a non-translated patch. There have been some oddities coming out of those translated patches, so we're playing it safe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)