B&W Research Thread

Sing A Round: How does it get its power boost and how much? Is it from multiple users singing in a round?

I tested 'Sing-A-Round'.

1. Sing-A-Round's base power is 60, but If you use Sing-A-Round at least two pokemons 'in a same turn' in a double/Triple battle, base power increase to 120. at this time, 120 base power don't reper to first pokemon who used Sing-A-Round.

As you expected, It's impossible that increasing Sing-A-Round's base power in a Single/Rotation Battle.
[example]

Jaroda (speed 115)
Reshiram (speed 90)
Swampert (speed 60)

If Jaroda, Reshiram and Swampert use Sing-A-Round in same turn in Triple battle, Jaroda's Sing-A-Round base power is 60, and Reshiram and Swampert's Sing-A-Round base power is 120.

2. If your all pokemon use Sing-A-Round in a same turn in a double/triple battle, All pokemon use Sing-A-Round in an row regardless of speed. It don't ignored priority.
[example]

my pokemon

Jaroda (speed 115)
Reshiram (speed 90)
Swampert (speed 60)

opponent's pokemon

Victiny (speed 100)
Wargle (speed 80)
Daikenki (speed 70)

Ordinary order
: Jaroda -> Victiny -> Reshiram -> Wargle -> Daikenki -> Swampert

If Jaroda and Swampert use Sing-a-Round in same turn, Jaroda's next is Swampert. No Victiny.

When jaroda and Swampert use Sing-a-Round
: Jaroda -> Swampert -> Victiny -> Reshiram -> Wargle -> Swampert

So, If your Fastest pokemon and your powerful slowest pokemon use Sing-a-Round in a same turn, it's good idea.

It' is done. No more remained about Sing-A-Round's factor.
It's all I can do.

p.s. ooooo.... I think I'm ineffective at English.

English is a silly language and you're doing very well.

So I guess 'troll' (or Sing-a-round) is really only good for multi battles then.

Could somebody test if these moves ignore Substitute?
Curse (used by a Ghost)
Mimic
Sketch
Transform
Grudge
Defog
Mimic, Sketch, Curse and Grudge ignored Substitude
Transform and Defog failed on a substitude (Defog failed to lower evasion and to remove Light Screen)

Results are strange, if i remember it correctly the mechanics are the opposite in D/P.

Lady Bug

Like the Wind
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Arceus's sprite doesn't change when it's holding a plate now. I just pokesaved an Arceus and tested it, it showed me the normal form. I tested it against wild Pokemon too, my Arceus was a Ghost type and a Headbutt from a wild Zuruggu didn't do any damage at all.

Only way to figure out its type now is by hitting it by multiple moves, or just try to see what Judgement is super effective against, etc.

Also, jumpluff says that the Arceus sprites don't exist in the game, so yeah.

EDIT: apparently I just had to remove the plate and give it to Arceus again to change the sprite. Sorry :/ would've been cool if it was true.

Wonder Room: How does it work? Does it actually swap stats in such a way that, for instance, boosts to Defense still lower the damage you take from a physical attack? Or does it simply cause your Defense stat (along with any changes) to be used against special attacks and your SpDef stat to be used against physical attacks?
I know at least the boosts are "swapped". (Tested by slipperjeans). I assumed everything was swapped, but that's still to be tested.

Does Echo Voice's power increase if used by different Pokemon in the same turn in a Doubles\Triples battle?
If you read carefully MINSC's post, the effect is "As long as one pokemon uses Echo Voice during the turn, the next turn Echo Voice's power will be raised by 40".

That log is especially blatant:
in double battle

1. X used Echo Voice (BP 40)
Y used Echo Voice (BP 40)

2. X didn't used Echo Voice
Y used Echo Voice (BP 80)

3. X used Echo Voice (BP 120)
Y didn't used Echo Voice

4. X didn't used Echo Voice
Y didn't used Echo Voice (BP reseted)

5. X used Echo Voice (BP 40)
Y used Echo Voice (BP 40)
The Japanese description also agrees, because it says "if someone" (dareka) instead of talking about the user. And anyway, that matches the concept of "Echo".

I'm just saying this should be tentative, not untested =)

Tentative If an opponent uses a Berry, Pickup will give the Pokemon the berry used, presumably if they are not holding an item. Does it work for other one-use items, like the Element Gems? If there are multiple Pickup Pokemon in play, will they all pick up a copy of the berry?
Tested By Slipperjeans again. When a berry is lost, a pick up pokemon picks it immediately and eats it immediately. If there are several pick up pokemon, they can all do that (even the original eater of the berry, after the pickup partner eats it). The order was not tested (probably speed). And they only ate it once, so it's assumed pickup works only once per turn, but it could be that it works once per berry.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mimic, Sketch, Curse and Grudge ignored Substitude
Transform and Defog failed on a substitude (Defog failed to lower evasion and to remove Light Screen)

Results are strange, if i remember it correctly the mechanics are the opposite in D/P.
Dang, that's disappointing. I was trying to figure out what the last move flag was for. Your results matched my expectations all except for Defog, which should have ignored Substitute.

Thanks for the tests! It's great to know that so many things now bypass Substitute. We'll have to do a more thorough test (on other moves with Substitute) later.

ok just making sure. Also, it seems that pokemon don't take damage from sand storm while using Dig. Is this new?

Confirmed If your party is in the formation of A | B | C, where B is "leading" the grid (in the center), only Pokemon B can rotate out to A and C; Pokemon A cannot rotate to C, and Pokemon C cannot rotate to A. (Philip7086, The_Chaser)
I just realized that we did this test wrong, so I went in and re-tested, and yeah, this was wrong sorry. I'm deleting it from the OP right now!

Anyways, more Rotation battle research coming soon!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It also appears that Flying type attacks can also hit the far side in triple battles. My Koaruhii was able to target the furthest Pokemon with Fly and Aerial Ace, as well as Water Pulse (confirming what's been said before), but not with Surf

About Pokesav'ed Pokemon, I've gotten mixed results for Random WiFi.

Normally caught Doryuuzu editted with Pokesav made it through.
PKMN-Modifier-code caught Doryuuzu editted with Pokesav did not pass.
PKMN-Modifier-code caught Doryuuzu not-editted passed.
Pokesav'ed from nothing Doryuuzu did not pass.

As far as this test shows, you can re-enter Random WiFi despite having Sav'ed Pokemon being blocked, so there's no worry of a "ban" from trading GTS Pokemon that are Sav'ed. I would think GTS would have the same restraints as Random WiFi, reducing the risk even further, but I haven't tried it.

Otherwise, I don't have enough results to tell what's causing the block yet.

Hold it. I've had pickup activate and the pokemon held onto the berry without eating it. It was an oran.
I have a feeling it will only activate if the Pickup Pokemon meets the requirements for the Berry. So Oran and Sitris will only activate if the Pokemon is below 50% health, Lum will only activate if the Pokemon is statused, and Leichi, Salac, etc. will only activate if the Pokemon is below 25% health.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Short test: This was done in double wild Pokemon battles, with my Reshiram and Zekrom attacking each other

Zekrom: 396 Atk, 234 SDef, vs Reshiram: 399 SAtk, 236 Def. Both Lv.100

Reshiram used Cross Flame (93 damage)
Zekrom used Cross Thunder (203 damage)

Zekrom used Cross Thunder (99 damage)
Reshiram used Cross Flame (209 damage)

Zekrom used Cross Thunder (99 damage)
Reshiram used Cross Flame (189 damage)

***It appears that Cross Thunder / Flame get doubled in power when used after the other.

Cross Thunder or Flame also get boosted at any time they are used after each other. In another match, I had both Zekrom and Reshiram attack the wild Pokemon instead of each other. The one who used the move after got the boost, while the one who went first didn't get the boost

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
I went data diving over at stuff.veekun.com again and I believe the move Cotton Guard should raise Defense by three levels. Can anyone confirm this?

Setsuna and I just finished testing a LOT more Rotatioin battle stuff! We definitely had some very interesting finds :). First, we tested this:
Tentative Rotating a Pokemon out does not removes its buffs\debuffs, ability changes, Leech Seed, etc.
We can confirm that Rotating a Pokemon out does not remove its buffs/debuffs, ability changes, and Leech Seed. Leech Seed does not take effect while the Pokemon is rotated out, however. But when you rotate the Pokemon back in, it loses health to Leech Seed.

Here are some more awesome Rotation battle findings:

1. All abilities that are only triggered upon a Pokemon entering the battle do not activate if said Pokemon is merely rotated in. This includes Intimidate, weather abilities, etc. However, if you switch the Pokemon in from your party, its ability will activate.
  2. Other constantly present abilities like Pressure only get announced if you lead with the Pokemon, or switch them in from inside a Pokeball. If you rotate one of these Pokemon in, the game will not announce the ability, but its effect will still be active (you will still lose 2 PP if you attack a Pressure Pokemon, etc.).
  3. Natural Cure does not activate upon rotating a Pokemon out.
  4. Pokemon do not receive status damage while they are rotated out.
  5. The game remembers status counters for Toxic and Sleep. In other words, if you take one turn of Toxic damage (6.25%) then rotate out, the next time you rotate in, you will take increased Toxic damage (12.5%) instead of starting back at 6.25% again. Your Sleep count also gets saved, instead of being reset like it does upon switching out, if you rotate out your total slept turns is still counted.
  6. The effects of Encore, Taunt, etc. get carried with the Pokemon when they are rotated out. In other words, if you are Taunted and you rotate out, the next time you get rotated in, Taunt will still be in effect. Same with Encore, etc.
  7. The game remembers each Pokemon's last move before rotating out, and Encore will force said Pokemon to use their last move if they are rotated back into a faster Encore.
  8. If a Pokemon's type is changed, it will remain changed even if the Pokemon is rotated out. The only way to get rid of a typing change is to use another move that changes its typing, or withdraw the Pokemon into its Pokeball.
  9. It appears to be that the act of Rotating is considered a free action. We tried a few things to damage an opponent before rotating out, but none worked. This includes priority moves like Fake Out, Ice Shard, etc., and Pursuit as well. This has very cool competitive implications, seeing as a Pokemon also cannot be damaged by entry hazards -- you can keep an important Pokemon alive no matter what if you want, until it's the last Pokemon!
  10. Shadow Tag does not prevent a Pokemon from rotating about, only from withdrawing into a Pokeball. (Tested this with The_Chaser, not Setsuna)
Phewf, that was a lot of tests. Like I mentioned earlier, I REALLY like Rotation battles. I'd love to see this become an official Smogon metagame, and I will continue to do tests on it to discover everything about it!

I posted this on Gamefaqs already, but nobody really seemed to give a crap.

It seems they've changed the wording of No Guard's effect.

"No Guard: The accuracy of all moves known by all Pokémon on the field raises to 100% "

Can anybody test to see if this means what it says? Before, it only affected Machamp and the Pokemon attacking or being attacked by Machamp.

So, is it now viable to pair a No Guard Pokemon with a Pokemon with moves like Zap Cannon or its Fire-Type counterpart, or 120BP 70acc moves?

Or does it still work the same, where it only affects the Pokemon with No Guard, and the Pokemon being attacked or attacking the afformentioned Pokemon?

Can't wait for the next VGC Tournaments if this is true, every team will be Choice Scarf Sheer Cold No Guard abuse.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
OK, I've got a question about another obscure move: Postpone.

It's a Dark-type move that only Murkrow and Honchkrow learn via leveling up, but a few others learn via TM.

What does this move actually do? I'd like someone to test this in a double battle where the Postpone user is the slowest Pokémon. The other three Pokémon should be using moves with 0 (unmodified) priority. I want you to target the second-fastest Pokémon on the field with Postpone and tell me in which order the Pokémon move and what Postpone does.

Make sure that the Postpone user is NOT a Murkrow with the Mischievous Heart ability. I don't want that clouding the results.

"No Guard: The accuracy of all moves known by all Pokémon on the field raises to 100% "
If you got this from Serebii, it's been wrong for years.

I have successfully tested and used Giratina-O, Shaymin-S, and Rotom-A on Wi-Fi on my White cartridge. Since I'm using a cart, I don't have screenshots, but FriDanny, Huy, and Ditto were the people who saw me use them and can verify if needed.

For further verification, Jibaku has told me he used a Giratina-O during today's Black/White tournament.

It's about time! :P

About pickup, I just want to make one fact clear.

The pokemon that had the berry and pickup was able to eat it because its partner picked up the berry and ate it.

If a pokemon can actually pick up one berry without eating it, I guess other pokemon wouldn't be able to pick up the berry, so further testing is needed.

Sorry for the misleading info and unclear post.

Doom Desire\Future Sight: In addition to not being typeless, do they get STAB? Is the damage calculated using the SpDef of targetted Pokemon at the time it was used, or the SpDef of the Pokemon hit? Can there be both Doom Desire and Future Sight active at the same time now?
For this test i used a Jirachi and a Golduck with both 236 Spatt against a Blissey and a Torterra with 406 SpD and 226 SpD respectivly.

STAB test
Jirachi's Future Sight against Blissey: 67-65 damage
Golduck's Future Sight against Blissey: 40-44 damage

Target used test
Jirachi's Doom Desire against Blissey: 94-99 damage
Targeted Blissey with Doom Desire on Jirachi and switched it out to Torterra in turn 2, Torterra got: 183-186 damage
Jirachi's Doom Desire against (both initial as final target)Torterra: 175-184 damage

Future Sight failed when Doom Desire was still in effect and vice versa

To sum it up
Doom Desire\Future Sight: In addition to not being typeless, do they get STAB? Yes
Is the damage calculated using the SpDef of targetted Pokemon at the time it was used, or the SpDef of the Pokemon hit? The SpD of the pokemon hit
Can there be both Doom Desire and Future Sight active at the same time now? No they can't

For this test i used a Jirachi and a Golduck with both 236 Spatt against a Blissey and a Torterra with 406 SpD and 226 SpD respectivly.

*calcs*

To sum it up
Doom Desire\Future Sight: In addition to not being typeless, do they get STAB? Yes
Is the damage calculated using the SpDef of targetted Pokemon at the time it was used, or the SpDef of the Pokemon hit? The SpD of the pokemon hit
Can there be both Doom Desire and Future Sight active at the same time now? No they can't
Very nice tests, Mien! I have only one question. Since you tested Doom Desire only with Jirachi, can you maybe try it using a Jirachi and a Smeargle with equal SpA to test the STAB? Or are you concluding the presence of STAB based on the damage dealt alone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)