B&W Research Thread

Elemental Gems: What is the exact boost?
Tested with a Jolly 252 attack 31 IV lv. 50 Houndoom's Crunch vs. 29/31/31/2/31/31 lv. 50 Metagross with 252 HP, 252 attack, 6 defense.
Normal damage range: 42-52 HP

First 10 tests with Houndoom holding Dark Jewel vs. Metagross
69 HP lost
64 HP lost
66 HP lost
66 HP lost
67 HP lost
69 HP lost
70 HP lost
76 HP lost
66 HP lost
70 HP lost

This leads me to believe the multiplier is 1.5x, since 1.5x the normal damage range would be 63-78 HP. Even though I didn't get the absolute minimum or maximum values in the test, I got enough of a range to know it's between 1.4x and 1.6x.

-----------------------------------------

Bulb: Does it grant a (one-time) immunity to Electric moves, in addition to raising SpAttk? Does it raise SpAttk every time the Pokemon is hit by an electric move? Does it work with a Pokemon with Volt Absorb?
Bulb does not grant an immunity to electric moves, and once it's used, it disappears.
Volt Absorb activates before Bulb does, making it have no effect.

I have a feeling it will only activate if the Pickup Pokemon meets the requirements for the Berry. So Oran and Sitris will only activate if the Pokemon is below 50% health, Lum will only activate if the Pokemon is statused, and Leichi, Salac, etc. will only activate if the Pokemon is below 25% health.
No, my Yooteri was definately at almost full health when he picked up the oran. Cheren's pokabu was brought down to the red by a take down, ate it's own berry, then as the turn ended, Yooteri used pickup. When the battle ended, I checked my pokemon screen and saw that Yooteri was holding the oran.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, I think I read from a Japanese site that Iron Fist might have gotten increased power. This should be low priority, but it would be interesting to test old abilities such as Iron Fist and Reckless to see if they got any power boosts.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Short test: This was done in double wild Pokemon battles, with my Reshiram and Zekrom attacking each other

Zekrom: 396 Atk, 234 SDef, vs Reshiram: 399 SAtk, 236 Def. Both Lv.100

Reshiram used Cross Flame (93 damage)
Zekrom used Cross Thunder (203 damage)

Zekrom used Cross Thunder (99 damage)
Reshiram used Cross Flame (209 damage)

Zekrom used Cross Thunder (99 damage)
Reshiram used Cross Flame (189 damage)

***It appears that Cross Thunder / Flame get doubled in power when used after the other.

Cross Thunder or Flame also get boosted at any time they are used after each other. In another match, I had both Zekrom and Reshiram attack the wild Pokemon instead of each other. The one who used the move after got the boost, while the one who went first didn't get the boost
Just to be 101% sure, does this boost only apply to Cross moves, or to any other move of them both? Either after the other dragon used a Cross move, or the following turn after your dragon had its Cross move's power boosted.

Escape Button mechanics
Sequence: user receives hit, item animation, item message, user switches
- Triggered by both contact and non-contact attacks
- Item activates as soon as the holder is hit, even if it has not made a move yet
- Holder picks the next pokemon to switch in (similar to Baton Pass)
- Item is one-time use
- Works through Bind
- Suction Cups does not prevent this item's effect
- Ingrain does not prevent this item's effect

Red Card mechanics
Sequence: user receives hit, item animation, item message, opponent switches
- Triggered by both contact and non-contact attacks
- The Pokemon that activates Red Card is switched out immediately
- The player cannot choose the pokemon to switch with the Pokemon that activated Red Card (similar to Roar)
- Item is one-time use
- Does not work if the holder is KOed by the attack
- Suction Cups does prevent this item's effect
- Ingrain does prevent this item's effect

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
While I appreciate the credit, I didn't make the video (I just only brought up the situation really). The SpA being noted should probably go toward the creator of the Youtube video.

No, my Yooteri was definately at almost full health when he picked up the oran. Cheren's pokabu was brought down to the red by a take down, ate it's own berry, then as the turn ended, Yooteri used pickup. When the battle ended, I checked my pokemon screen and saw that Yooteri was holding the oran.
No I meant the berry would only activate if the Pokemon meets the requirements. So the Pokemon would only eat the Berry automatically if they met the requirements. Sorry for the confusion.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
While I appreciate the credit, I didn't make the video (I just only brought up the situation really). The SpA being noted should probably go toward the creator of the Youtube video.
You were the first to notice it and bring it up here, though.

Tentative Rechargeable Battery: When affected by a (damaging?) Electric attack the holder gets a one-time Attack boost. Does not work with a Pokemon with Volt Absorb. (sixonesix)
Just tested, Thunder Wave did not activate Rechargeable Battery, but Thunderbolt did when it was used the following turn.

Escape Button mechanics
Sequence: item animation, item message, switch
- Triggered by non-contact attacks
- Holder picks the next pokemon to switch in immediately (similar to Baton Pass)
- Item is one-time use
- Suction Cups does not prevent this item's activation
- Ingrain does not prevent this item's activation
- Works through Bind

Red Card mechanics
Sequence: item animation, item message, switch
- Triggered by non-contact attacks
- The Pokemon that activates Red Card is switched out immediately, and cannot choose the pokemon to switch with (similar to Roar)
- Item is one-time use
- Does not work if the holder is KOed by the attack
- Suction Cups does not prevent this item's effect
- Ingrain does prevent this item's effect
When you say "triggered by non-contact attacks," does that mean contact attacks don't activate them?

Does the switch occur after both Pokemon get a move, like this:

Pokemon A attacks
Pokemon B attacks
Escape Button Activates

or

Pokemon A attacks
Escape Button activates

Does the attack land?

I have a question about Escape Button, I know this is gimmicky, but does it work for pokemon that uses hyper beam/giga impact?

Actually, I think I read from a Japanese site that Iron Fist might have gotten increased power. This should be low priority, but it would be interesting to test old abilities such as Iron Fist and Reckless to see if they got any power boosts.
I was wondering about Iron Fist too. Now that the new ability Encourage gives a 1.3 boost might Iron Fist also be 1.3 now?

Also, I know this is low priority because it is Dream-World only, but has anyone tested how much of a boost Analyse gives?

Very nice tests, Mien! I have only one question. Since you tested Doom Desire only with Jirachi, can you maybe try it using a Jirachi and a Smeargle with equal SpA to test the STAB? Or are you concluding the presence of STAB based on the damage dealt alone?
I've concluded it on the damage dealt alone. A special based 140 BP Steel attack from Jirachi should deal between 88 - 105 damage on Blissey, which fit my results perfectly. If the move lacked a STAB boost it should have done 74 - 88 damage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)