B&W Research Thread

Does the item, Metronome, boost multi-hit moves like bullet seed and icicle spear now? Now that each hit of those moves is considered a separate action and breaks focus sashes, etc it seems like this has a chance of being the case.

Does the item, Metronome, boost multi-hit moves like bullet seed and icicle spear now? Now that each hit of those moves is considered a separate action and breaks focus sashes, etc it seems like this has a chance of being the case.
that was tested a while back, and no it doesn't.

Speaking of Metronome, has this item changed at all? Is the boost and boost cap the same as 4th gen?

I used to think that Life Gamble does KO the user even if it fails to hit the target, like SelfDestruct and Explosion.

It is worth noting that Life Gamble, unlike SelfDestruct and Explosion, doesn't KO the user if used against a Pokémon who have temporary (Protect, Detect, semi-invulnerable turn) or permanent (Ghost-type) immunity to it or if Life Gamble fails altogether (accuracy / evasion modifiers) , so even if you mispredict it won't be fatal at least.

Test 1-immunity: Victini against Desukan:
_Victini used Life Gamble
_It doesn't affect Desukan
(Victini wasn't KOed due to Life Gamble immunity)

Test 2-Protect / Detect: Victini against Rayquaza:
_Rayquaza used Protect
_Rayquaza protected itself!
(Victini wasn't KOed due to Life Gamble failing)

Test 3-Semi-invulnerable turn:
Victini against Rayquaza:
_Rayquaza used Fly
_But there was no target!
(Victini wasn't KOed due to Life Gamble having no target)

Test 4-Foe's evasion boost: Victini against Blissey:
_Blissey used Minimize
_Blissey's evasion rose sharply!
_But it missed!
(Victini wasn't KOed due to Life Gamble missing)

Test 5-User's accuracy drop: Victini against Alakazam:
_Alakazam used Kinesis
_Victini's accuracy fell!
_Victini used Light Screen
_Alakazam used Kinesis
_Victini's accuracy fell!
_But it missed!
(Victini wasn't KOed due to Life Gamble missing)

That's interesting. What about Destiny Bond now?
Focus Sash does not protect the Pokémon who delivered the KO blow against a Destiny Bond user despite having all of its HP.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
That's interesting. What about Destiny Bond now?
This is what happened in one of my random wifi matches yesterday

Turn 1
The foe's Froslass used Destiny Bond
Tyranitar (@ Focus Sash, full health) used Crunch!
Froslass fainted!
Tyranitar fainted!

So yes, DBond bypasses Focus Sash

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
If a slower Pursuit user uses Pursuit on a Pokemon using U-Turn/Volt Change, does Pursuit hit the Pokemon that uses the move before or after the attack deals damage, if at all? Does this also apply to Baton Pass?

If a faster Pursuit user uses Pursuit on a Pokemon using U-Turn/Volt Change, is the damage doubled or does it stay the same?

I was watchin this video on youtube and something odd happened. Around 1 minute, Leperadusu uses Taunt on Blaziken and Blaziken fails to use Baton Pass because of it. On the next turn, Leperadusu uses Ecore and Blaziken is forced to use Protect. This would mean that Encore now forces the Pokemon to use the last move it actually executed, so moves that failed wouldn't be Encore but whatever move that succeeded before that would be Ecored instead. If this is how Encore always worked, then disregard this post but the Smogon page doesn't mention it.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What happens if a Shadow Tag Pokemon holds a Red Card? For example, you have a Wobbuffet holding a Red Card, and your opponent uses Bullet Punch with Scizor. Will the switch occur or not? I would assume it does, but I'm not very sure.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I was watchin this video on youtube and something odd happened. Around 1 minute, Leperadusu uses Taunt on Blaziken and Blaziken fails to use Baton Pass because of it. On the next turn, Leperadusu uses Ecore and Blaziken is forced to use Protect. This would mean that Encore now forces the Pokemon to use the last move it actually executed, so moves that failed wouldn't be Encore but whatever move that succeeded before that would be Ecored instead. If this is how Encore always worked, then disregard this post but the Smogon page doesn't mention it.
Fascinating, but I'd be willing to bet that that is infact how encore has always worked, and nobody ever noticed.

Also someone should tell that guy that encore always lasts 3 turns now.

[edit] - actually smogon says: "Encore will fail [...] if the target tried and failed to use a move this turn (due to sleep, paralysis, recharging, etc) before being targeted with Encore". This presumably counts as etc.

Have a nice day.

Just a minor thing, but me first can steal a free fall, and it does get the damage boost. Otherwise it works like an ordinary free fall (but only if you are faster).

The only thing about that is, Encore succeeded in making Blaziken repeat a move, despite it not successfully using a move the turn before. The way the Smogon page is worded, it sounds like Encore should have failed that turn.

Also, I've been wondering, what happens if a Pokemon in the center of a Triple Battle isn't there, due to things like Fly, Dig, Shadow Force, or Free Fall, and the Pokemon on one side of it changes places with it while it's up in the air? Do the Pokemon switch places like they normally would and the Pokemon that's gone attacks its target like it normally would? Does the switching action fail altogether? What happens if the Dig user is now out of range of its target? Example:

[A] [C]
[X] [Y] [Z]

Pokemon B goes first and targets Pokemon Z with Dig. Pokemon A goes next and switches places with Pokemon B. On the next turn, Pokemon B executes Dig. What happens?

Magic Mirror: Does it still bounce back effects even if the Pokemon is using Protect\Detect? What happens when two Pokemon with Magic Mirror face each other? Does Mold Breaker override it?
Magic Mirror did not bounce back effects when it used Protect
A pokemon with Mold Breaker completely ignored Magic Mirror.
Also Intimidate drops the attack of the pokemon with Magic Mirror(it doesn't get bounced back)
When 2 pokemon with Magic Mirror face each other it only gets bounced back once. For example, when my Espeon with Magic Mirror used Toxic on a wild Yooteri with Magic Mirror the Espeon got poisoned.

Illuminate: Does it cause a drop in opponent's accuracy? (Note: this may not be a visible stat change, so testing a 100% accurate move a few dozen times will be the test.
Tested this by allowing a wild lvl 15 Basurao(who only has 100 accuracy moves) to attack my Starmie with Illuminate 50 times.
The Basurao never missed so i suppose Illuminate has remained the same

Blaze\Aqua\etc. Cassettes: Do these items only change the typing of Techno Buster, or do they increase its power along with moves matching the type of the cassette?
Tested this with a Genosect with 245 Spatt using Techno Buster against a 275 SpD Blissey. Both max and minimum damage confirmed in-game.

When Holding Thunderbolt Cassete: 55-65 damage
When holding no item: 55-65 damage
Also Thunderbolt did more damage then TechnoBuster even when holding the item.

Why Gamefreak programmed this move is beyond me, perhaps only for in-game purposes?

Just gonna toss this out, out of curiosity: Have you tried giving Genosect a Zap Plate to Hold? Does that effect Techno-Buster in any way?

Even though HP Ground gives it more coverage.

Also, on PO, Red Card causes a phaze when hit with U-Turn, and then U-Turn's switch effect happens. I'll be checking later today whether this matches in-game mechanics.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Interesting to see that mold breaker ignores magic mirror. Kurimugan can actually use glare on the likes of espeon then?

My Synchronize pokemon owns your Magic Mirror pokemon... haha completely outclassed.
If the opponent uses teeter dance in a double/triple battle or any other sort of move not directly targeting a Magic Mirror pokemon, it woould still reflect it normally, right?

Can Inconsistent attempt to raise or lower a stat at +6 or -6, respectively, and fail, or will it never attempt to do that?

Confirmed Reckless's boost to recoil moves is still only 20%, and does not increase the recoil.
The percentage stays the same, or the amount of HP lost will stay the same?

Wicked Thief: Does it allow you to steal items when Weavile is hit with a contact move or when Weavile uses a contact move such as Fake Out or Ice Punch?
Did a quick test against a level 8 Choroneko with Growl, Scratch, and Assist.

I used a PokeSav'd Weavile with Wicked Thief as its ability, and it knew Trick, Ice Punch for the first test and Scratch for the second, and Torment. It was holding a Star Piece, and it was level 15 for the first run and level 10 for the second.

My first go-through with Weavile vs. Choroneko

Weavile switched in on Choroneko, Choroneko used Scratch. Other than damage, nothing happened.

Used Trick and gave Neko the Star Piece, Neko used Scratch. Wicked Trick activated after damage was dealt and Weavile got her Star Piece back.

Next, I used Torment to ensure I got at least one Growl attack. Used Trick again and gave Neko the Star Piece. Neko used Growl. Weavile used Ice Punch, which knocked out Neko and the ability DID NOT activate.

Second Run (With Scratch instead, and level 10)

Weavile used Trick, and gave Neko the Star Piece. Neko used Growl. Weavile then used Scratch, which took about 1/3rd of Neko's HP. Again, the ability DID NOT activate.

In conclusion, no Fake Out stealing for you.

Third Run--Substitute and Fainting, this time with the level 10 Weavile having Substitute in its moveset and ANOTHER Weavile with Wicked Thief at 1 HP.

Weavile used Substitute, Neko used Growl. Trick, Starpiece, Neko couldn't break the sub with Scratch, and the ability DID NOT activate.

So I switched in the other Weavile. Neko used Scratch, Weavile fainted, ability did not take effect.

In conclusion, no substealing for you.

HOWEVER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIuVxR-ZchA <--This link, a battle done by Jonny Frost, shows a way of getting real use out of Wicked Thief. It DOES work if you are holding a consumable item like Focus Sash, and get hit by a contact move.

Conclusion--Wicked Thief works when you are not holding an item, the opponent is holding an item, and the opponent uses a contact move. It does not work through Substitute, or if you faint from the attack, but it does work if you have a consumable item and circumstances force you to use it, because the ability will work afterward.

...so yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)