B&W Research Thread

Quick question, smogon describes burn as having this effect:

the burn status will decrease HP by 12.5% each turn and reduces the damage of physical attacks by 50%.
According to this it decreases the damage, not their actual stat however I want to make sure of this.

So lets say I am fighting a +2 attack Ononokosu whom I burned and then Trickery, does that mean I am getting his +2 attack or am I getting his effective +0 attack to use for Trickery's calculation? Based on the wording above I assume it would be his +2 attack but I do not have the tools to test this.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Level 100 Doryuuzu, 405 Atk, 143 Def
Level 41 Warubiaru

Expected Damage with Trickery after Doryuuzu uses Swords Dance: 123-146

I burnt my Doryuuzu and attacked it with Trickery after it used Swords Dance once:

140, 137, 146

Trickery goes off your own Status, the opponent being Burned has no effect on the damage you deal.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have been wondering if a poke holding Balloon or one under the effects of Telekinesis could switch out against a pokemon with the ability Arena Trap.

Could someone test this?

Pickup: Does it work on other one-use items, like Elemental Gems?
Tested with all of the one-time use items:
Balloon - doesn't work
Bulb - works
Elemental Gems - works
Escape Button - doesn't work
Focus Sash - works
Mental Herb - works
Power Herb - works
Rechargeable Battery - works
Red Card (tested this one in doubles attacking my own partner) - works
White Herb - works

It also works with everything else thats thrown with Fling. (tested with Sharp Beak, Water Stone, Icy Rock, Escape Rope, Balloon, Escape Button)

breh

強いだね
Fire Fang: Does it still work through Wonderguard, regardless of typing? What about other new fire moves?
(Just so you know Fire Fang was the one move able to defeat Wondertomb just through attacking)

Burst Flame / Flame Burst (does 1/16 damage to members of party on sides of target in multi battles; also good idea to test out if burst flame damages wondertomb)
Ball of Fire (Resh. first signature move)
Blue Fire (Resh. second signature move)
Incinerate / Devastate (Burns berry)
Fire Oath (starter tutor move)
Fire Dance (Mothra)
Heat Stamp (Pokabu line exclusive move)
Nitro Charge (raises speed)
Purgatory (fire type zap cannon)
V-Generate (Victini's move)

Acid Weather - does it still occur (weather is going and a poke uses pursuit, what happens?) I thought I saw this one being proved sometime ago; a true testament to my inherent laziness :/

Mimic Rage / Transform Rage / Whatever it's called glitch: does it still occur?

I apologize if we're not allowed to test if glitches exist anymore.

Tested Pickup with all of the one-time use items:
Balloon - doesn't work
Bulb - works
Elemental Gems - works
Escape Button - doesn't work
Focus Sash - works
Mental Herb - works
Power Herb - works
Rechargeable Battery - works
Red Card (tested this one in doubles attacking my own partner) - works
White Herb - works

It also works with everything else thats thrown with Fling. (tested with Sharp Beak, Water Stone, Icy Rock, Escape Rope, Balloon, Escape Button)
What about Flame/Toxic Orb?

Bulbapedia's pickup list (hold items in bold):

Lv. 1-10
30%-Potion
10%-Antidote, Super Potion, Great Ball, Repel, Escape Rope, Full Heal
5%-Hyper Potion
3%-Ultra Ball
1%-Max Repel, Nugget

Lv. 11-20
30%-Antidote
10%-Super Potion, Great Ball, Repel, Escape Rope, Full Heal, Hyper Potion
5%-Ultra Ball
3%-Revive
1%-Nugget, King's Rock

Lv. 21-30
30%-Super Potion
10%-Great Ball, Repel, Escape Rope, Full Heal, Hyper Potion, Ultra Ball
5%-Revive
3%-Rare Candy
1%-King's Rock, Full Restore

Lv. 31-40
30%-Great Ball
10%-Repel, Escape Rope, Full Heal, Hyper Potion, Ultra Ball, Revive
5%-Rare Candy
3%-Sun Stone
1%-Full Restore, Iron Ball

Lv. 41-50
30%-Repel
10%-Escape Rope, Full Heal, Hyper Potion, Ultra Ball, Revive, Rare Candy
5%-Sun Stone
3%-Moon Stone
1%-Iron Ball, Lucky Egg

Lv.51-60
30%-Escape Rope
10%-Full Heal, Hyper Potion, Ultra Ball, Revive, Rare Candy, Sun Stone
5%-Moon Stone
3%-Heart Scale
1%-Lucky Egg, Beauty Scale

Lv. 61-70
30%-Full Heal
10%-Hyper Potion, Ultra Ball, Revive, Rare Candy, Sun Stone, Moon Stone
5%-Heart Scale
3%-Full Restore
1%-Beauty Scale, Elixir

Lv. 71-80
30%-Hyper Potion
10%-Ultra Ball, Revive, Rare Candy, Sun Stone, Moon Stone, Heart Scale
5%-Full Restore
3%-Max Revive
1%-Elixir, Beauty Scale

Lv. 81-90
30%-Ultra Ball
10%-Revive, Rare Candy, Sun Stone, Moon Stone, Heart Scale, Full Restore
5%-Max Revive
3%-PP Up
1%-Beauty Scale, Leftovers

Lv. 91-100
30%-Revive
10%-Rare Candy, Sun Stone, Moon Stone, Heart Scale, Full Restore, Max Revive
5%-PP UP
3%-PP Max
1%-Leftovers, Beauty Scale

Beauty Scale is the only item new to this generation. It causes Feebas, when given a Beauty Scale, to evolve into Milotic when traded because there is no longer a beauty stat or pokemon contests.

Fire Fang: Does it still work through Wonderguard, regardless of typing? What about other new fire moves?
(Just so you know Fire Fang was the one move able to defeat Wondertomb just through attacking)

[snip]
I don't really think this warrants testing, since Fire Fang seems to be implemented as a failsafe for bypassing hacked no-weakness Pokemon with Wonder Guard when used against the Battle facilities.

breh

強いだね
I don't really think this warrants testing, since Fire Fang seems to be implemented as a failsafe for bypassing hacked no-weakness Pokemon with Wonder Guard when used against the Battle facilities.
I'm really quite sure Fire Fang exists in this manner simply due to a mistake in coding; because shedinja is the only pokemon able to have wonderguard and is weak to fire, I think the programmers were a bit more lax about checking fire, flying, and other super effective moves. I mean hell it's really a low key issue actually...

Otherwise, it's also one of the two physical fire moves introduced in gen 4 and is the later of the two in the game's coding.

Rotation Battles
If Regigigas is inactive do its Slow Start turns still go down?
Just tested this. The Slow Start turns do not go down while Regigigas is inactive, but his Slow Start counter is maintained while he's inactive. In other words, his Slow Start counter doesn't start back at 0 if you rotate him out.

Fire Fang: Does it still hit through Wonder Guard, regardless of the target's typing?
My Rhyperior with Fire Fang was unable to hit my Wondertomb, so i suppose that glitch has been fixed.

For the "Reset Move" mechanics for Triple Battles listed in the OP, it only happens at the end of the turn and only when the two Pokemon remaining are on the opposite sides of each other, right? For example, if I have Lanturn on the right side and my opponent has Heatran, Ononokusu, and Wailord from left to right on my opponent's side of the field, Lanturn shouldn't be forced to shift because Ononokusu and Wailord can still hit it right? Also, this mechanic doesn't force the Pokemon to use its turn to move, does it?

I just want some clarification on this before I post on the PO Forums about it.

Edit: Also, does Encore prevent the Pokemon from being able to shift to the center in a Triple Battle?

Edit: Also, does Encore prevent the Pokemon from being able to shift to the center in a Triple Battle?
What I understood from previous tests is that you can Rotate out, but your "Encore counter" remains. So when you're Rotated back to the front, you'll still be Encored.

What I understood from previous tests is that you can Rotate out, but your "Encore counter" remains. So when you're Rotated back to the front, you'll still be Encored.
No this is for Triple Battles and switching places into the center, not about Rotation Battles.

Mirror Move confirmed to copy both types! I found a trainer with a Gamagaru (Ground/Water) that knew Bubblebeam and used Mirror Type against it. I figured if it only copied one type, the hit would be either SE or NVE, but Bubblebeam hit neutrally, which meant that it copied both types.

So if anyone wants to try reproducing these results with different Pokemon, and perhaps testing if this works through Substitute, can target Allies in Doubles/Triples and whatnot...

Tentative Poison Hand grants the Pokemon the ability to cause (normal) poison with its contact moves. The chance of poison is probably 30%, but untested. Also untested is if it works with contact moves that already have a side effect.
To test this i used a Muk with Poison hand against a Manaphy with Hydration during permanent Rain.

Test 1#: What is the chance of poisoning with a contact move?
Muk using Pound 100 times on Manaphy.
Out of those 100 Manaphy got poisoned 21 times or 21%

Test 2#: What happens to moves with a status-inducing secondary effect?
Muk using Poison Jab 100 times on Manaphy.
Poisoned by Poison Hand: 23 times or 23%
Poisoned by Poison Jab: 21 times or 21%

Test 3#: What happens to moves with a secondary effect that does not involve status?
When Muk used Dynamicpunch it poisoned and confused Manaphy at the same time(this happened after about 4 tries)

Conclusion:
- Poison hand has 20%-25% chance to induce Poison on a target with a contact move(most likely 20%)
- Poison hand's chance to poison with contact moves with a status-inducing secondary effect remains the same. the secondary status effect has (1 - Poison hand's chance to cause poison) * P chance to happen.
- Contact moves with secondary effects that do not include status appear to completely ignore Poison Hand.

None of these conclusion are 100% confirmed, however it is unfortunatly impossible to do so.

I'm not an expert at explaining mechanics in English, so if something is unclear please tell me. Same goes if i forget to test something.

Pickup

Pickup wise: I've been doing some extensive testing, and I have the following conclusions:

Tentative Description:
If an item that is pickuppable is consumed or used during a turn, and the pokemon that used it is still in battle and still alive at the end of the turn, and a pokemon that has pickup is in battle and is alive at the end of the turn, and has no held item at the end of the turn, the pokemon with pick up will pick up the last consumable item that meets all the prior criteria.

i.e. If a Zigzagoon is in battle and alive, and something else used something and is in battle and still alive, it will pick it up.

Things that work:

You can pick up both you're partners item and you're opponents item (confirmed)
You pick up the last item that was consumed (tentative)
You can pick up through protect/detect (confirmed)
Picked up items can activate the turn they are picked up (pinch berries, etc.) (confirmed)
You can pick up an item even if you had an item at the beggining of the turn if you lose/use your item by the end of the turn. (confirmed)

You can pick up an item on being switched in. (confirmed)
2 examples:

1. If you are switched in on a red card, you can pick up that red card.
  2. If you just switch in, through the poke command or U-turn, you can still pick up items.
Things that do not work:

You cannot pick up your own item (tentative)

You cannot pick up a red card that you activated.(confirmed)
You cannot pick up knocked off items. (Confirmed)
You cannot pick up an item (e.g. Gem) that activated on a pokemon that used U-Turn or Volt Change (Tentative).
You cannot pick up an item if the pokemon that used it is not still in battle (Hypothesis)
You cannot pick up an gem used by a pokemon that used explosion (Confirmed)
You cannot pick up an item used by a fainted pokemon (hypothesis)
You cannot pick up a berry that was plucked from you if the plucker has an item (confirmed)
You cannot pick up a berry that was plucked from you (tentative)
You cannot pick up a berry that was plucked (hypothesis)

I'll be continuing my testing.

A few more questions about Pickup:

I heard earlier in the thread that you could pickup an item that was used with Fling, is this confirmed? I didn't see it on the first page.

What happens if two pokemon have Pickup and both use their item, like in a double battle? Are both items picked up?

Pickup

Concerning the above, you can always pick up a flung item, provided the conditions are met.

You can exchange items. (Confirmed!)
Ambipom flung it's Razor Fang!
Linoone flung it's King's Rock!
X Flinched!
X Flinched!
Ambipom picked up a King's Rock!
Linoone picked up a Razor Fang!

Hope you brought an inner focus user!

You cannot pick up an incinerated berry. (confirmed)
You cannot target your partner with incinerate. (confirmed(awwwww..........))
You cannot pick up a bug bitten berry. (confirmed)

Also, because I noticed:
Flame Burst hits the targets partner for typeless damage. (confirmed)

Concerning the above, you can always pick up a flung item, provided the conditions are met.

You can exchange items. (Confirmed!)
Ambipom flung it's Razor Fang!
Linoone flung it's King's Rock!
X Flinched!
X Flinched!
Ambipom picked up a King's Rock!
Linoone picked up a Razor Fang!

Hope you brought an inner focus user!
Mwahaha that was exactly what I had in mind. Awesome, thanks!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Is the chance of picking up a used (particularly flung) item 100%?
Can you still get an item back if you KO an opponent?
Can a Pokemon with Pickup get its own used item back at all?

If you have two Pokemon with Pickup in a Double Battle, and your opponent consumes a Berry, will both of them get the Berry? If only one of them gets it, how is that determined? (Speed? Position? etc.)

#1. @kohaxx I have copyrighted the above strategy.
#2. @UltiMario I have never not got back a flung item if it was possible.
#3. @UltiMario I believe that you can still get you're item back, because the pokemon that flung it is not dead.
#4. @UltiMario As far as I know, no.
#5. @DDRMaster

Only one will get the berry. Pick Up, like everything else activates in speed order. So if multiple items are pickupable, then the fastest pokemon will pick up the last item to be used, and the second fastest will pick up the second last, and so on. (Pokemon can't pick up their own items)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)