B&W Research Thread

While I am just a forum user in passing I feel the need to share this as it is insanely important.
I browsed through uncharted territory and didn't find any mention of it prior.
Bit of back ground. I have a Japanese import of Pokémon Black. I've set up a dream world account and today I found the code to acquire Arceus from the Dream world. As to be expected Arceus is level 100, but in just a test of things I saved then attached the macho brace to Arceus and went off to fight a Tabunne. And while level 100, after the battle, Arceus had received an extra 1 HP.
Vitamins and feathers are NOT the only way to EV level 100 pokémon! I'd noticed it when EVing previous pokémon that the stats don't go up when a pokémon levels up anymore, they're added after each battle. SO EVing Arceus is now as easy as it is to EV any other pokémon in the game.

I did look around to see if this had been posted anywhere else and to my knowledge it hasn't. I apologise if it had, but I felt the need to post as if it's not, it's pretty important.

While I am just a forum user in passing I feel the need to share this as it is insanely important.
Bit of back ground. I have a Japanese import of Pokémon Black. I've set up a dream world account and today I found the code to acquire Arceus from the Dream world. As to be expected Arceus is level 100, but in just a test of things I saved then attached the macho brace to Arceus and went off to fight a Tabunne. And while level 100, after the battle, Arceus had received an extra 1 HP.
Vitamins and feathers are NOT the only way to EV level 100 pokémon! I'd noticed it when EVing previous pokémon that the stats don't go up when a pokémon levels up anymore, they're added after each battle. SO EVing Arceus is now as easy as it is to EV any other pokémon in the game.

I did look around to see if this had been posted anywhere else and to my knowledge it hasn't. I apologise if it had, but I felt the need to post as if it's not, it's pretty important.
You should definitely double check to see if it happens with every stat. Not exactly doubting you or anything, but it's just strange that no one had noticed it before now. Along that line, it'd be great if other cart owners could verify that with their own level 100 that has 506 total EVs or less...

Does Focus Sash prevent scripted recoil like Struggle and Hi Jump Kick from KOing a Pokémon?
Similarly, what occurs when sash shedinja uses double edge?
No, in all three cases my Shedinja holding Focus Sash died right away from recoil, Focus Sash did not activate.

I'd noticed it when EVing previous pokémon that the stats don't go up when a pokémon levels up anymore, they're added after each battle
I confirm this, my lvl 100 Shedinja without a single EV got one bonus speed point every time it killed 2 basurao.

I have work and shit to do for today. So it'll be a couple of hours before I'll be able to confirm it, but if need be I can even take photos/a video.

A reason I can think for it is probably because Dream World Arceus is pretty new and you can't pokéshift or transfer pokémon from an English 4th gen game to a Japanese 5th gen game. It wont let you for some reason or another.

I can confirm that adding EVs at level 100 works. My DW Arceus gained a few Speed statpoints after fighting a couple of Pokes that give speed effort points (Lepardas in this case).

Dream Boat Dixon, that is an ace discovery, especially for a casual forum user without a large involvement in the mechanics and theorymon etc.
It's certainly going to make the whole "unobtainable pokemon only available at level 100" thing a hell of a lot more bearable and has already got me excited to transfer my arceus from platinum and heart gold. It also means re-eving a level 100 pokemon you get in a trade becomes possible. Well done on discovering it.

I can confirm this.

I´m doing a casual run on my japanese copy, but I still try to get the right EVs on my team members by fighting the right pokes, and I´ve noticed huge leaps on certain stats after I level up, even when I never get more than +3 on said stat. As such, stats must be changed after battles now.

To avoid further research on stats rates and whatnot (like Cold Flare/Frozen World), here is the data directly ripped from ingame (Tri Attack/Shell smash are handled specially by the game)

http://pastebin.com/ybkVfpSk

As you can see, Cold flare burn with 30%

Unless nobody is ripping data from ingame here *cough*

Can confirm that this definitely works. My Arceus is now fully EV'd in Speed and I'm just about so start on some HP investment. (Modest nature, so I'm going for Grass Support set). That's just 124 speed investment, but by battling only and it took no time what so ever.

Edit: Can confirm full EVing of level 100's. Arceus is level 100 and now has the following;

HP - 439, ATK - 232, DEF - 260, SpATK - 331, SpDEF - 270, SPE - 302

That's with HP 252/SpATK 132/SPE 124 and Modest nature

While it's stats aren't flawless it's not bad for being a dream world pokémon. EV's were all acquired through battle battling against Tabunne, Hitomoshi and Basurao respectively. I have encountered PKRS and have a Macho Brace, if that's at all necessary.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
To avoid further research on stats rates and whatnot (like Cold Flare/Frozen World), here is the data directly ripped from ingame (Tri Attack/Shell smash are handled specially by the game)

http://pastebin.com/ybkVfpSk

As you can see, Cold flare doesn't do anything.

Unless nobody is ripping data from ingame here *cough*
But even then, it doesn't say Cross Thunder has any special effect and well, we know it does (increased power after Cross Flame, etc).

I meant, Cold Flare can burn with 30% *

And I was talking about side effects like status and stat boosts, not special effects (and editing previous post)

Can confirm that this definitely works. My Arceus is now fully EV'd in Speed and I'm just about so start on some HP investment. (Modest nature, so I'm going for Grass Support set). That's just 124 speed investment, but by battling only and it took no time what so ever.

Edit: Can confirm full EVing of level 100's. Arceus is level 100 and now has the following;

HP - 439, ATK - 232, DEF - 260, SpATK - 331, SpDEF - 270, SPE - 302

That's with HP 252/SpATK 132/SPE 124 and Modest nature

While it's stats aren't flawless it's not bad for being a dream world pokémon. EV's were all acquired through battle battling against Tabunne, Hitomoshi and Basurao respectively. I have encountered PKRS and have a Macho Brace, if that's at all necessary.
Thank you so much for elaborating and bringing it to our attention in the first place! I'm sure many a player are celebrating about this.

Scanning this thread, I've realized that there isn't talk of the supposed banning of the move Free Fall on Random WiFi due to its glitch with Gravity in Doubles and Triples. Supposedly if a Pokemon uses Gravity on the same turn that a Pokemon took another to the sky with Free Fall, the user of Free Fall will stop using the move and return to the ground, but the target will be suspended in midair helpless until it faints. When I say helpless I mean it can't make a move or switch. I think this is worth testing and looking into. Maybe there's a way to get the airborne Pokemon unstuck that hasn't been tried?

During a rotation battle, Regigigas' Slow Start activates when you switch it in. This appears to be an exception to the normal rule.

Sorry rotation fans.

No video yet, but I can get one if you need one.

During a rotation battle, Regigigas' Slow Start activates when you switch it in. This appears to be an exception to the normal rule.

Sorry rotation fans.

No video yet, but I can get one if you need one.
I can confirm this. The first time Regigigas rotates in, Slow Start will activate, and then the timer will begin.

On PO, I had an Inconsistent Smeargle pass boosts to a Lucario with a White Herb. However, I passed -2 SpD, but the White Herb did not give an activation message and later activated on Intimidate. Is this the same in game?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On PO, I had an Inconsistent Smeargle pass boosts to a Lucario with a White Herb. However, I passed -2 SpD, but the White Herb did not give an activation message and later activated on Intimidate. Is this the same in game?
White Herb should have restored the -2 SpD back to +0 immediately. Or, at least it's behaved this way since 4th gen.

I know it has, and out of the many times I've used that combo, (at least 30 or so times) it has never given an activation message. However, my Lucario had all 100% accurate moves, and when accuracy dropped and that was Baton Passed, I have still never missed (at least I don't recall it). I mainly used Aura Sphere, though.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
White Herb works the same way as before:

Elfuun uses Charm on Meerhog.
Meerhog uses Baton Pass to Koaruhii.
Koaruhii's White Herb activates immediately.

Dunno if this has been reported, but while I was training my little emo dragon thing, I accidentally went overboard and got 255 EVs in speed according to PokeGen, so I used a Tamato Berry, saved, and checked it again, but instead of 100 EVs, it had 245 EVs. Has this happened to anyone else?

Confirmed Feint now hits a Pokemon even if it doesn't use Protect\Detect, and still nullfies them. Is blocked by Fast Guard. (Sixonesix))
This seems to imply that Feint works like any other priority move with the added bonus of piercing Protect/Detect. However I didn't really get that impression from the source cited. Perhaps I'm completely misinterpreting the entry? Can anyone clear this up for me?

breh

強いだね
Two questions:

If a pokemon is passed a sub and there are t-spikes, will the pokemon on the receiving end of the pass be poisoned if it's not flying? EDIT: Still though, it should be checked (at least IMO).

If a hacked shedinja uses HJK on a ghost, is it KOed or not? EDIT: ok

Two questions:

If a pokemon is passed a sub and there are t-spikes, will the pokemon on the receiving end of the pass be poisoned if it's not flying?

If a hacked shedinja uses HJK on a ghost, is it KOed or not?
1. It didn't get Poisoned in Gen 4 and there's no reason to believe it would in Gen 5.

2. I think someone already tested this and confirmed that Shedinja will be KOd.

This seems to imply that Feint works like any other priority move with the added bonus of piercing Protect/Detect. However I didn't really get that impression from the source cited. Perhaps I'm completely misinterpreting the entry? Can anyone clear this up for me?
Yes, sorry I neglected to post that. In BW, Feint does indeed hit whether the target is using Protect/Detect or not. I'll edit it in now, in fact...

One move I came across when thinking about making a sun team was the move clear smog on Gengar, which led to me making an entirely different team. But anyways, my question is whether or not clear smog resets all stat changes for the pokemon who got hit my clear smog or if it resets all stat changes for every pokemon currently out on the field. I would guess the whole field, but I don't know, it would be nice if someone could test this, or if someone already knows how it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)