Staraptor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Double-Edge

I completely changed my team except for my Dark Horse candidate, but I'm doing better now!

Pokemon Online Username: 2sly4u2
Hall of Fame Standing: Lol
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Wobbuffet
Current Ladder Standing: not even close...

Other Teammates:

Username: XxGennyxX
Hall of Fame:
Dark Horse Pokemon: Xatu Xatu Xatu
Current Ladder: 1000
Ohgod I absolutely despise that damned xatu of yours @_@ for some odd reason that is the single battle that I can remeber from beyond yesterday :p

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wow, wonderful job, ssbbm! You've successfully brought THREE Dark Horse Pokemon into the Hall of Fame and taken the top spot. Congrats! I'm sure many users would like to hear some words of wisdom on how you've created such a successful team.

For everyone else, this means that Deoxys-D, Mienshao, Metagross, Bronzong, Dugtrio, Honchkrow, and Staraptor are all unavailable to gain entry into the Hall of Fame this month. If you have picked one of those Pokemon before, I've updated the Registered Users list by removing such mentions. Keep on laddering; I'm sure we'll see some more names pop up in the following days.

Wow, this sounds really awesome... Definitely gonna give this a go.

Pokemon Online Username: Dark [Water] Horse
Hall of Fame Standing: Not yet lol :p
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Suicune
Current Ladder Standing: 1225

I'm thinking of running a standard CroCune set, maybe alongside Celebi and Heatran for some good type synergy. I'll update once I've given more thought as to how I'm gonna do this.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know if I'd suggest CroCune over offensive Suicune this generation. Sleep has been nerfed and buffed completely this generation. Sleep moves are now more powerful and moves like Rest are now somewhat of a hindrance. If you're forced out and you've used Rest you'll have your sleep counter reset, which is pretty annoying, especially for something who is supposed to: sleep, wake up, stat up, sleep, wake up, stat up. Offensive Suicune is really awesome though. Calm Mind, Surf, Ice Beam, HP Grass or Electric (depending on your team, mostly) really can fuck this metagame up. I also prefer Life Orb on my Suicune, but no matter to that. I'd say go for offensive cune (252 Spe / 4 SpDef / 252 SpA Timid) over Cro.

Pokemon Online Username: iAmElectric
Hall of Fame Standing: -NIL-
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: SD Feraligatr.
Current Ladder Standing: 1632.

Feraligatr (F) @ Life Orb Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch
- Superpower

Pokemon Online Username: iAmElectric
Hall of Fame Standing: -NIL-
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Froslass
Current Ladder Standing: 12275(dropped a bit due to major testing >_>)

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Thunder Wave

Pokemon Online Username: NQfairytale
Hall of Fame Standing: none
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Nidoqueen
Current Ladder Standing: none :3

Well I've done pretty well so far. While Porygon2 and Reuniclus are usually the stars of the team, Bulk Up Scrafty has been owning in the past two days. It can come in and start setting up against weak attackers like Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and bulky Waters and ShedRest takes care of any Paralysis and Burn.

Due to Trick Room, it can either get a boosted attack off against whatever comes in or use another Bulk Up to make it more or less immune to neutral physical attacks. Bulky Phazers and Fighting-types like Skarmory, Vaporeon, and Conkledurr are the only true counters for it. The former two are worn down by Drain Punch and are usually forced out by the rest of my team and the latter can be taken care of by Reuniclus.

After Trick Room goes down, it become much easier to check as most Fighting moves will put a huge dent in it, but it's usually at least worn its counters down by that point.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Pokemon Online Username: Sakura Card Captor.
Hall of Fame Standing: 2nd.
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Froslass.
Current Ladder Standing: 1455.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow, wonderful job, ssbbm! You've successfully brought THREE Dark Horse Pokemon into the Hall of Fame and taken the top spot. Congrats! I'm sure many users would like to hear some words of wisdom on how you've created such a successful team.

For everyone else, this means that Deoxys-D, Mienshao, Metagross, Bronzong, Dugtrio, Honchkrow, and Staraptor are all unavailable to gain entry into the Hall of Fame this month. If you have picked one of those Pokemon before, I've updated the Registered Users list by removing such mentions. Keep on laddering; I'm sure we'll see some more names pop up in the following days.
if one of these pokemon is on your team, but is not your dark horse, is that okay?

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Of course, they aren't the pokemon you registered with so there is no outlaw against them.

As for my own team I've recently recreated my team with Choice Band Aggron and its completely raped everything. Having had previous misadventures with Sand I knew I wanted to avoid using weather if possible. I also had seen Pocket's previous post supporting Life Orb Heatran. A natural connection and a method of dealing with weather later and boom, Sunny Day Heatran was ressurected. After discussion with several users a core was quickly created of Heatran, Celebi ad Jellicent, who combined are able to deal with Sun and Rain fairly handily. However I was still lacking a strong answer to Landorus and Terakion in particular and so Skarmory joined the team as a Sand check, as well as my second hazard setter along with Celebi. Incidentally, the combination of Celebi and Skarmory effectively immunized my team against Volt-Turn, particularly with the presence of HP Fire in Celebi's moveset.

After playtesting, this core handled most threats pretty much on their own, leaving Aggron free to do as he pleased and leaving the sixth slot open to checking that which needed to be checked. Aggron became notable for being able to come in after a death in a lot of cases and completely smash something with its Choice Band Head Smash. Notably, it can take any Choiced Tyranitar attack bar Superpower with ease giving it free rein to fire off Head Smashes, as well as being a secondary Dragon check, covering things like Choice Band Dragonite, ParaShuffler Dragonite and Hidden Power Fire Latias in Sun. The final team slot was eventually selected to be a Scarfed Hydreigon, being able to come in reasonably often due to its passable bulk and decent resistances and covering a number of speedier threats against the team.

Two threats I've noticed so far, one greater and one lesser, have been Nidoking and Special Defensive Heatran. The former is able to break through every Pokemon on my team with the possible exception of a full health Jellicent and is only able to be revenged by Hydreigon. In the one battle I played one, the third time I brought Hydreigon in on a prediction he was Ice Beamed in the face leading to a loss as everything else was easily KOd.

The more notable threat to my team is Specially defensive heatran, being able to wall and force out both Skarmory and Celebi, being able to take Hydreigon's Focus Blasts easily-especially with Protect-outspeeding Aggron, and being unthreatened by Jellicent due to my running Night Shade, leaving the only member of my team capable of beating it to be Sunny Day Heatran, who is often walled or forced out by some members of the opposing team.

At any rate the team has served me well so far, I am at present within striking distance of the top 100, being roughly 100 points out, and any thoughts on the team or others experiences are welcome.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, Sunny Day Heatran seems like a very cool partner, Texas :d I don't know the fourth move on your Celebi, but you could either try Baton Pass, Thunder Wave, Leech Seed, or Earth Power. With Baton Pass, you can wear down Heatran with SR + Spikes as you switch into Nidoking. Leech Seed wears down Heatran just the same, usually forcing it out. Thunder Wave makes Protect fail 25% of the time, and your Aggron is faster now. With Earth Power, you should be able to 2HKO non-Protect Heatran. Earth Power is probably the least useful option, though, since it has little utility outside of taking out Heatran and some other mons, and it makes Celebi pretty one-dimensional / easy to deal with.

PS: I was thinking over Recover :p

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Pokemon Online Username: melonhead
Hall of Fame Standing: in? maybe? please?
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Venusaur
Current Ladder Standing: 95th

Pokemon Online Username: melonhead
Hall of Fame Standing: in? maybe? please?
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Sawsbuck
Current Ladder Standing: 95th

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion

The Dark White Horse:
Froslass -

@
( Colbur Berry )
Trait - Snow Cloak
EVs - 132 HP | 120 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+ Spe, - Atk)
  • Taunt
  • Spikes
  • Ice Beam
  • Destiny Bond

I made a custom spread instead of going for 252/252 in order to look smarter make sure Froslass could take a Crunch from the typical Choice Scarf Tyranitar after Stealth Rock and Sandstorm damage, so it could at least set up a layer of Spikes, which was needed for Gliscor. I kind of took the idea from Gen 4 Azelf, but without Explosion and U-turn. Destiny Bond was pretty cool too.

The Team:
(Froslass) (F) @ Colbur Berry
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 132 HP / 120 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond

(Gliscor) (F) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

(Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SDef / 28 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar

(Tyranitar) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

(Slowbro) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Scald
- Fire Blast

(Breloom) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 240 HP / 204 SDef / 64 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Spore

To be honest, the challenge wasn't hard at all, probably because my team looked like a recycled HO team from the Deoxys-S metagame, and also because if I wanted a real challenge I'd just use something like three Dark Horses at once, but it was still funny. I wanted to check out how good HO that relied on Spikes was in a metagame without Deoxys-S, but ended with a Bulky Offensive team that relies on the same Spikes to win games, instead of stuff such as Volt Switch and U-turn. I guess that works too, and even though it has some glaring weaknesses, it handles pretty much everything else in the metagame. Between Heatran, Tyranitar, Heatran, Slowbro and Breloom all forms of weather are covered, and the later easily handles Scizor - Rotom-W - Landorus combos and stuff like that as well. I also like it because it's unique, since, according to this list, I was the only person who chose Froslass as a Dark Horse and unlike other people, the team wasn't based around her, since she's meant to be used as a supporter, as you all know.

By the way: I'm sorry I didn't update at all, but there wasn't really anything to say. Besides that, it took me so little to climb on the ladder and everytime I was going to update I just felt like laddering a little more.

---

EDIT - DAMN, I forgot Slowbro could be used as a Dark Horse too. I could've registered it as well on the Hall Of Fame ;_;. Whatever, I guess it's too late now.

Pokemon Online Username: TnuadwarC [dh]
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Crawdaunt
Current Ladder Standing:1269

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've updated the Hall of Fame with our newest entrant. Very unique use of Froslass. I know I personally would have gone for Snow Cloak abuse, but your method worked well. Kudos, Pearl.! You currently hold the top spot. But we'll have to see if one of our other three Hall of Famers can dethrone you. Or perhaps a new Dark Horse Pokemon will arise from the depths to claim the lead. Keep it up, DST!

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
Decided to take the initiative and be the first person to break the 1400 milestone on the Dark Horse Project. The result? See below:

And since this update needs something relevant, here's my last battle before reaching my current ranking.

---

EDIT - Updated my first post in the thread with my most recent ladder ranking. I'm done with laddering for now.

Updated my registration form with new Dark Horse Pokemon and new laddering name.

Here.

Hey, Pocket. Can you suggest something that can improve my team? Because it's hovering on 1100~ and I keep on losing matches because I don't have the defense to tank damages and that sucks. I'm really not sure what am I having trouble with but yeah, I'm pretty much losing matches every now and then. This is a team built around SD Gatr.

EDIT: Forgot to put in my team lol

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam
Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Feraligatr (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch
- Superpower
Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit
Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)