So I've been testing this set out this week, and Analytic Magnezone is definitely viable. Although, I would not think of using Magnezone in a Dual Screen HO team, it is a powerful Electric tank that can fit well in bulkier teams. Although it is slow, it offers usable bulk, resistances, and enormous power that rivals OTR Reuniclus. Magnezone, with its 130 SpA hits like a truck with essentially a free LO boost - the ability fits well on a Pokemon that can switch-in safely, thanks to its respectable bulk and Steel resistances, and forces switches often (which fuels Analytic). The Spec variant in particular packs incredible power in its attacks, and really wears down team with boosted Volt Switch along with hazard support. The defensive investment really does help it stomache hits - as DDR Master referenced in his post, it can tank two +1 Outrage from Dragonite, making it a formidable counter to Dragonite, esp in Rain. Specs Magnezone breaks through Dragonite's MultiScale and OHKOs with HP Ice.
I've tried a non-choiced set with Substitute and Metal Sound over Flash Cannon and Volt Switch, and it still gets the job done, especially since a regular Magnezone already hits really hard already. SubMetal Magnezone can easily beat CM Latias, its HP Ice doing 48-57% to Latias on the switch, quickly putting it on the defensive.
The perk to all of this is that the opponent never suspects it being an Analytic Magnezone, so they play as it is the usual Steel Trapper. Players leave their own Magnezone to die to this one, not knowing that they can easily switch out, for instance - my Ferrothorn then sets up hazards willy nilly. Just like how Landorus can bluff a scarf set with an Expert Belt set, this Magnezone gets to abuse an extra LO boost while inadvertently killing Steels.
So yea, I am approving this set. I would change the set a little though:
name: Magnezone (Analytic)
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Flash Cannon / Substitute
move 4: Volt Switch / Metal Sound
item: Choice Specs / Leftovers
evs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spd
- With this set format, it shows how Magnezone can take advantage of Analytic boost either via Choice Specs or Sub & Metal Sound. The way I formatted, people can use Substitute & Volt Switch, as well.
- yea, I think DDR Master's spread is better, because the Speed still comes in handy to outrun Scizor with 8 Spe, which is a reasonable threshold to pass without compromising its bulk. The original min Speed, Quiet Nature spread may be mention in AC
- large AC mention for Thunder and Rain support to make this is a beastly tank
- HP Fire is AC material, imo, since you want to ideally use this with Rain support. HP Ice really gives Magnezone the utility in taking out Dragon-types and provides more coverage. Standard Ferrothorn is a 3HKO with Specs Thunder, and Substitute & Metal Sound owns Ferro anyways.
- AC mention Charge Beam, since it can still pull it off
Some logs - Magnezone is not only useful to kill Steels, and Analytic boost definitely helps it be a special force to be reckoned with. Note that not all of these are Specs Magnezone (in fact I think most of them hold lefties). In the 2nd log, it even loses its Specs turn 1 lol.