The Dark Horse Project IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Incredible artwork by ToxicPhox.

Preface:

Check out what's NEW!

Welcome back. After a long hiatus, I am incredibly pleased to announce that The Dark Horse Project is once again returning to the Overused forum! The last time you saw us, we just finished off March with the project (you can check it out here and had a good number of people added to the Hall of Fame. Now that we're back and better than ever, it'll be exciting to see who makes the Hall of Fame this time around.

• As you can tell, I've added some extra staff to the Dark Horse Project. ginganinja will be co-leading this project alongside of me, so give him a warm welcome when you see him post in this thread. Pocket will be making a triumphant return by running the Hall of Fame section again (which I hear still has old records). Up and coming user alkinesthetase will be keeping the Registered Participants post up to date. All four of us run the project as equals; if you have any questions, feel free to ask any of us! And make sure to thank them sometime. Their efforts are time-consuming and imperative to the success of this project.

• You MUST re-post your Dark Horse Registration Form here. We're starting a new era, so we need to you fill out your registration form. Read below on how to do so.

• As many of you Overused regulars have noticed, we're doing lots of work on-site with the Overused Hub Page. As we get started within the upcoming days, keep on the lookout for what kinds of updates will be taking place on site! Some Dark Horse Project content is bound to end up on-site. We'll keep you posted on that front.

For those of you that are new, hello! I'm posting here to shake up the way in which DST functions and thinks. Ever since we ditched Suspect Voting, DST has lost a bit of its competitive edge. What I'm presenting within this topic is an effort to reignite some of that spark to get us back on track! Furthermore, I hope to increase appreciation for Dark Horse Pokemon, or rather, Pokemon that are currently unpopular but have the potential to shine in OU. The purpose of this project threefold. It should increase diversity in the OU metagame by encouraging the competitive use of great Pokemon that unfortunately fall on the lower end of usage. This project also aims to initiate discussion on how Dark Horse Pokemon fit in the context of the OU metagame. Finally, it should assist in the the sharing of unique team ideas and Pokemon sets to spark creativity into the competitive minds of DST. Let's begin.

Rules:

This project, simply put, aims at recognizing users who put forth the effort to create a competitively successful team that utilizes Pokemon that aren't often used in OU. Anyone with a Smogon account has a chance of reaching the Hall of Fame within this project. Here are the rules by which this project is run:

• Each team must use at least ONE Dark Horse Pokemon. The term "Dark Horse Pokemon" is defined by the past month's statistics. Anything below 5% usage is fair game. This means that a Pokemon can be tiered in OU and still be viable for this project!

• Only one Pokemon on your team has to be a Dark Horse Pokemon. The rest of your teammates can be found within any tier that is allowed within OU.

• The recommended number of Dark Horse Pokemon to register with is one, so that the user can focus specifically on that Pokemon and how to best build a team around it. If you must have more than one, then please indicate that you are working with more than one.

• You MUST use a new Pokemon Showdown! Username in order to restart your ladder ranking. Furthermore, the Dark Horse Pokemon that you are working with must remain on your team throughout your ladder run. The members of your team may shift around whenever you see fit, but the Dark Horse Pokemon must remain the same.

• Switching your focused Dark Horse Pokemon within this topic is acceptable. However, you must restart on the ladder with a new Pokemon Showdown! Username.

• Please put all changes within your Registration Form. I update based on those forms, not individual posts randomly scattered throughout the topic.

• Do not start laddering for this project until you have registered within this topic.

• Please follow the rules. The Dark Horse Project isn't about being dishonest, it's about developing great teams for great Pokemon! As a result, cheaters will most likely end up being banned from the Hall of Fame.

• It is recommended that you post consistent ladder updates within your registration form. This will allow other users to see your progress and offer meaningful advice!

You are eligible to register for the Dark Horse Project at any time of the month! The third post in this topic contains an index for easy access to all participants, so don't worry about your Registration Form getting lost in the sea of discussion. Get started by filling out the below form:

Registration Form said:
Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Hall of Fame Standing:
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:
Remember, your "Pokemon Showdown! Username" should be new so that your Dark Horse Pokemon will be starting from scratch. Your "Hall of Fame Standing" should be empty for right now. But once you're admitted into the Hall of Fame, feel free to update this part with links to your accomplishment!

Feel free to utilize Pokemon sprites to add visualization to your registration posts. Really anything can go here. If you've made posts elsewhere or even a RMT, feel free to link to it there. Here's an example of what a registration post might look like:

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Birkal-Testing
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Scrafty
Current Ladder Standing: 1704

Here's the current Scrafty set I'm working with:

Scrafty @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

And here's a battle log of it in action!

Once you've registered, you're all set to go! You can start teambuilding and laddering whenever you like. Feel free to update your registration posts whenever you like, whether it be with ladder ranking updates, your teammate selections, battle logs, sprites, or whatever you wish to do!

Discussion:

This topic also serves a second purpose to initiate discussion on battlers' teambuilding and laddering progress; in this thread, you share your struggles and success, and reflect upon the Dark Horse Pokemon's niche in the current OU metagame. This thread is not only a place to show off successful challenges, but also a place to help each other achieve their goals via posting your problems and receiving quality input from others. Challengers should not hesitate to post their teams and/or team ideas to receive help from the community. You are allowed to post your thoughts and opinions. However, here is a "Do and Do Not" list that posters in this topic must adhere to:

• Do post and share sets for your Dark Horse Pokemon.
  • Do provide teammates that you're using, with optional sets.
  • Do pinpoint which threats in the metagame need to be covered.
  • Do ask questions about the current OU metagame and teambuilding.
  • Do give meaningful answers to asked questions. This can include suggested sets, teammates, and strategies.

• Do not post insignificant updates. Each post should be well thought and unique.
  • Do not ask someone to make the team for you. Team building is YOUR job (and a fun one at that).

Hall of Fame:

Now comes the competitive aspect of this project. Once you've reached a ranking within the Top 100 on Smogon's competitive OU ladder (with a minimum Glicko2 rating of 1850) with your Dark Horse Pokemon, you are eligible to enter the Hall of Fame! The Hall of Fame is located within the post below the OP and recognizes each user that has entered its halls. Once you've reached the Top 100, please fill out the following Hall of Fame Registration Form:

Hall of Fame Registration Form said:
Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Dark Horse Pokemon:
Screenshot of Top 100 Ladder Ranking:
Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:
As with the regular Registration Form, you are encouraged to upload battle logs, teammates, and other relevant information. Since you're entering the Hall of Fame with a successful team, many users would love to hear some wisdom on how you accomplished that goal. So feel free to post a summary of your team (similar to a RMT), battle logs, and general thoughts. Once you've filled out this form, you'll be accepted into the Hall of Fame, which will link to your Hall of Fame Registration Form and other relevant links.

Now, there is one final catch to this project. You see, only one of each Dark Horse Pokemon is allowed into the Hall of Fame per month. For example, only the challenger who laddered highest with Jolteon will be accepted this month; Jolteon challengers with lower ladder ratings cannot enter the Hall of Fame until they pass the highest rating for Jolteon. That's where the competitive edge comes into play. You are racing against other users for a place in the Hall of Fame! Furthermore, the Hall of Fame ranking is based off of peak ladder ranking points, meaning the more points you score, the higher you'll be placed. So now that you know the rules, get registered and start team building! Best of luck. If you have any questions, send me a PM or VM. I hope to see you in the Hall of Fame.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Credit goes to the highly talented Aluriiya for the above Blitzle image. Used with her personal permission.

To spice things up, here are the conditions to earn Grandmaster:

1) Top #3, 2300 min glicko2 rating
2) only 1 Grandmaster per DHP
3) The original Grandmaster can be knocked out by someone with a higher glicko2 rating.

The second and third condition is important to note, because it's not a "firstcomer wins" like the rest of the challenge, and only one person can receive this rank. It will encourage people who are in Platinum or even Gold to vye for the sacred spot!
Current Hall of Fame (25):

Be one of the few to conquer the Ladder with your Dark Horse, and you will be forever recorded in our Hall of Fame! Remember, admission now requires you to obtain the Top 100 on Showdown's ladder with minimum Glicko2 rating of 1950.

Grandmaster: >2300 & top 3
- Lavos Spawn -
Suicune
"just your standard crocune, nothing special, but let me tell you it does some serious work, laughs off rotom-w and sets up all over rain/sand's face"
Peaked at: 2435 (#2) on 10/4/2012
First Peak and Moveset
Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Scald

Platinum Class: 2299-2200 & top 10 (4)
- The Great Mighty Doom -
Dog
" I instantly fell in love with Stoutland, with it's 518 speed under the sand - which outspeeds pretty much the entire metagame - it's ridiculous power, bulk and decent coverage; Stoutland can spell doom for any team."
Peaked at: 2412 (#1) on 10/10/2012
RMT
Dog (Stoutland) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Pursuit

- DarkBlazeR -
Victini
Cresselia
"Victini's V-Create is bar none the strongest attack in the game. Cresselia is an incredible Pokemon on sun teams as it hard-counters many of the biggest threats to them, such as DDNite and RP Landorus-I."
Peaked at: 2325 (#8) on 10/9/2012
Victini @ Choice Band
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spd
Adamant Nature
- V-Create
- Fusion Bolt
- U-turn
- Brick Break

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonlight

Ditto
"Given the offensive nature of the metagame, a dedicated revenge killer isn't really a wasted slot in my opinion."
Peaked at: 2191 (#32) on 10/7/2012
Discussion
Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Quirky Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform
-
-
-

- Lady Alex -
Kingdra
"[Kingdra] sets itself apart as a specs user from Latios by having access to a stabbed hydro pump, which makes Jirachi an unsafe switch-in. Another thing that sets it apart from Latios is that, with Swift Swim, Rain offense teams are easily decimated after Ferrothorn has gone down."
Peaked at: 2323 (#8) on 10/5/2012
Entered Hall of Fame at: 2353 (#15) on 10/3/2012
RMT
Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk
AND
Deoxys-D
"Deoxys is bullshit."
Peaked at: 2118 (#40) on 10/14/2012
Peak & Set
Deoxys-D @ Tanga Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

Zapdos
"Mostly used as a secondary speed booster and a check to Tornadus-T, who is a pretty big threat to baton pass"
Peaked at: 2092 (#23) on 10/20/2012
Peak & Set
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Agility

Zoroark
"Scarf Zoroark was a great way to get an early kill on genesect, which makes many teams lose a huge part of their offensive momentum."
Peaked at: 2048 (#4) on 10/5/2012
Peak & Moveset
Zoroark @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Trick
- Focus Blast

Xatu
"I ran Xatu so I would have a way to keep hazards off my field without having to resort to forretress or donphan, who are dead weight when it comes to keeping momentum"
Peaked at: 2047 (#57) on 10/28/2012
Peak and Moveset, Team Explanation
Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Arcanine
"Arcanine's role is come in on something it resists or a fire move and to go to town on the opponent until it faints."
Peaked at: 2043 (#68) on 10/15/2012
Peak & Set Explanation
Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

Mew
Ninjask
Mr. Mime
"It's a BP team. la. di. da."
Peaked at: 1997 (#71) on 10/8/2012
Peak & Full Team
Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Iron Defense
- Baton Pass
- Amnesia

Ninjask (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 128 Def / 128 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- X-Scissor

Mr. Mime (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Mismagius
"I didn't expect Mismagius to suck so much."
Peaked at: 1991 (#85) on 10/28/2012
Peak & Moveset
Mismagius @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Fighting

Umbreon
"Umbreon wasn't amazingly useful, but having yawn on a BP team was pretty convenient. Snatch also gives me a way to scare volcarona when I'm confident it will lead"
Peaked at: 1974 (#18) on 10/16/2012
Peak & Moveset
Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Snatch
- Baton Pass
- Yawn

- Molk -
Scrafty
Amoonguss
"Out of the 29 wins i had on my alt, just about half of them were scrafty sweeping my opponents team once their check/counter was weakened, lol"
Peaked at: 2273 (#6) on 10/7/2012
First Peak & Set Explanation
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch / Hi Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire

Hippowdon
Celebi
"Overall, hippowdon should be more solidly OU, its great bulk and ability to phaze/set rocks as well as recover its hp ensures that sand will stay up during the majority of the match. A great choice for any sand team."
Peaked at: 2237 (#5) on 10/4/2012
Discussion Response
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Roar

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 176 HP / 152 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn
- Recover

Weavile
Slowbro
"Weavile plays a lot like mamoswine, and may seem outclassed at first, but its incredible speed and access to pursuit more than make up for the power and bulk that mamoswine has."
Peaked at: 2213 (#21) on 10/5/2012
Peak & Set Explanation
Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch / Night Slash
- Low Kick

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psychic / Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Smeargle
Gorebyss
Nidoking
"Although Smeargle was only capable of doing one thing, it did it very well, and almost never failed to pull off at least one smashpass during the match (...) look at (Nidoking) and tell me it doesnt look absolutely badass, stare in awe at the mighty power of the king of the....purple hamster rat thing.....okay moving on."
Peaked at: 2073 (#30) on 10/19/2012
Peak & Set Explanation
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Ingrain
- Baton Pass

Gorebyss @ White Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SDef / 232 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

OUTCLASS THIS
"With Hustle taken into account, Durant hits 475.5 attack with a neutral nature, the equivalent of 188 base attack, this surpasses even stuff like Medicham, Rampardos, and Kyurem-B, and unlike those 3, Durant sits at an incredible speed tier."
Peaked at: 2054 (#27) on 10/18/2012
Peak & Set Explanation
OUTCLASS THIS (Durant) @ Life Orb
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

Gold Class: 2199-2100 & top 25 (2)
- ginganinja -
Gothitelle
"Gothitelle gave me pretty strong control over the battle, since I could highlight pokemon it could trap just by looking at Team Preview, and then make a game plan around it. I was very happy with my choice."
Peaked at: 2227 (#16) on 10/2/2012
Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Trick

- Master of the Six Kings -
Metagross
Whiskers
"Whiscash is the only thing i've ever used that can take Scalds without falling to burn and actually set up in front of all these bulky waters in the metagame."
Peaked at: 2152 (#12) on 10/18/2012
Metagross @ Air Balloon
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash

Whiskers (Whiscash) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 220 Def / 32 Spd
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rest

Tornadus
Raikou
While slower than his winged counterpart, i realized i could justify his extra offensive power as justification for a choice scarf. Raikou was no slouch in dominating teams of Forretress/Jellicents/Gliscors and often times Ferrothorns with his great power and coverage."
Peak & Set Explanation
Peaked at: 2139 (#28) on 10/12/2012
Tornadus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 Atk
Naive Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn

Raikou @ Expert Belt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Rash Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Swampert
"Swampert generally preformed how i imagined, but as i rounded towards peaking on the ladder, i was met with Energy Ball Latios, Grass Knot Infernape and Giga Drain, Expert Belt Genesect that really hampered the poor mudfish."
Peaked at: 1989 (#59) on 10/11/12
Entered Hall of Fame at: 1957 (#59) on 10/10/2012
Ladder Peak, Set Explanation
Swampert @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 204 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk / 48 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Scald

Victreebel
Charizard
Hitmontop
"Charizard and Hitmontop had their moments and their purpose. Victreebell absolutely ripped teams to shreds once its three counters (Mamo, Poli and Hetran) are removed by other members."
Peaked at: 1974 (#45) on 10/17/12
Peak & Set Explanation
Victreebel @ Expert Belt
Trait: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Weather Ball
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sleep Powder

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight

Machamp
"... No Guard proved to be more a curse than a blessing alowing Pokemon to alwasy hit Hurricanes, Focus Blasts and Thunders against Machamp without weather and when Trick Room isnt up, his abysmal speed makes OU a very unforgiving metagame for him."
Peaked at: 1955 (#73) on 10/11/2012
Entered Hall of Fame at: 1950 (#96) on 10/5/2012
Ladder Peak, Set Explanation
Machamp @ Lum Berry
Trait: No Guard
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- ThunderPunch

Silver Class: 2099-2050 & top 50 (10)
- myzozoa -
Venomoth
"Basically Venemoth is a perfect passer to balloon Heatran or Keldeo... Even when Venemoth couldn't pass quiver dance, it could still sleep something which is valuable all by itself"
Peaked at: 2209 (#33) on 10/10/2012
Team
Venomoth @ Leftovers
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder

- Electrolyte -
Cobalion
"I saw the tremendous amount of potential in Cobalion with its high speed, great defense, and workable offensive stats as well as its wide movepool. Its fast Taunt bought me the moment I saw it."
Peaked at: 2148 (#38) on 10/6/2012
RMT
Cobalion @ Expert Belt
Trait: Justified
EVs: 28 Atk / 228 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Hidden Power Ice

- SubakSupreme -
Sharpedo
"Overall Sharpedo is a boss and deserves way more usage."
Peaked at: 2143 (#39) on 10/4/2012
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Protect

- TropiOUs -
Froslass
"Set hazards, prevent other mons from getting them, and if you get the chance, get a free kill without really trying."
Peaked at: 2119 (#42) on 10/7/2012
Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Kyurem
"(I) wanted to prove Kyurem can be good without needing to be with Abomasnow."
Peaked at: 2060 (#17) on 10/4/2012
Discussion Response
Kyurem @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 SDef / 180 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Substitute

Shiftry
"108 attack is to guarante OHKOing Latios with Sucker Punch in case I can't get SR up. 164 speed allows Shiftry to outspeed Scarf Keldeo/Terrakion and allow it to Leaf Storm before he takes a hit."
Peaked at: 2032 (#88) on 10/10/2012
Peak & Moveset
Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 164 Spd / 108 Atk / 236 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Nature Power
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice

Ambipom
"Troll scarf genesect leads, ohkoing it with Fire Punch, Low Kick Tyranitar and other heavy mons like Terrakion, Return becaus STAB, and finally, Switcheroo is pretty much the only move I used to render things like Skarmory and other walls useless and allow me to set up with a truly scary mon like Mence or Terrakion easily."
Peaked at: 1971 (#93) on 10/5/2012
Peak & Moveset
Ambipom @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Low Kick
- Return
- Switcheroo

- alexwolf -
Moltres
"Its Specs Hurricane was freakin powerful, 2hkoing stuff such as Rotom-W and Skarmory easily, while also being able to easily 2HKO Jirachi and SpD in rain, unlike Torn-T and making for a wonderful Sun, Lucario and Scizor check."
Peaked at: 2098 (#37) on 10/12/12
Entered Hall of Fame at at: 2052 (#36) on 10/5/2012
Discussion Response
Moltres @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

- scampy -
Rotom-H
Blastoise
"(Rotom-H is) simply a Pokemon who fits well into the current metagame...Blastoise was consistent Pokemon. I think some teams which rely upon eliminating Rapid Spin users evidently have trouble with Blastoise, due to its lack of exploitable weaknesses."
Peaked at: 2076 (#34) on 10/8/2012
Discussion Response
Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dragon Tail
- Scald
- Toxic

- Boondocker -
Sableye
"It seems like every team i build is weak to Sableye, so i figured id try my luck with it."
Peaked at: 2062 (#38) on 10/7/2012
Sableye @Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spd
Impish Nature
- Wil-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Taunt

- Jobriq -
MEHNDIbuzz
Frosty
"People underestimate this birds godly bulk."
Peaked at: 2057 (#46) on 10/6/2012
Entered Hall of Fame at: 1970 (#100) on 10/5/2012
Discussion & Full Team
MEHNDIbuzz (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Frosty (Abomasnow) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed
- Ice Shard
- Protect

- Patolegend! -
Rocky
"An absolute menace with the right support (rain), and very impressive in previous metas, with the new drain punch tutor he becomes a true beast, easing its woes in other weathers."
Peaked at: 2056 (#44) on 10/30/2012
Entered Hall of Fame at: 1986 (#95) on 10/22/2012
Rocky (Toxicroak) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

- HuntoftheLion -
Feraligatr
"Torrent makes him really dangerous since often the way I'd set up was on an attack I knew would hurt but wouldn't kill, and then I'd get to torrent very fast and basically smash my way through the other team."
Peaked at: 2051 (#23) on 10/20/2012
Peak; alt ATG2
Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sword Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch
- Superpower

Heracross
"... I chose Heracross because I used him for WCOP tryouts over the summer and he's always been one of my favorite pokemon."
Peaked at: 1978 (#69) on 10/15/2012
Peak; alt ATG3; Team Explanation, Set Explanation
Heracross @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Close Combat
-Megahorn
-Stone Edge
-Pursuit

Bronze Class: 2049 -1950 & top 100 (8)
- discoboy -
Chansey
"I feel like Chansey was just a worse version of Blissey when I used it."
Peaked at: 2048 (#64) on 10/12/2012
Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

- ssbm -
Aerodactyl
Magneton
Jumpluff
Kabutops
"sd jumpluff is so funny and sexy to sweep with! it kills sun 100% of the time, tbh. occa magneton > genesect. lo kabutops is mad underrated it literally kills rain more than anything else. aerodactyl is the best sr setter in the meta i think."
Peaked at: 2016 (#88) on 10/12/2012
RMT
Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Magneton @ Occa Berry
Trait: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

- FastFlygon -
Lapras
"Didn't get that many sweeps, but Ice Shard + that bulk was an excellent combination, and there were a couple of stall teams I ran through since they had no way of touching it."
Peaked at: 2014 (#97) on 10/13/2012
Lapras (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SDef / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Shard

Quark Star
Rogue Planet
"Scolipede has also been doing very well, Bug Gem Megahorn is really damn strong - it OHKOs lead Deoxys-D if it doesn't have a Tanga berry... with a simple 252/252 specially defensive spread (Empoleon) has awesome bulk. "
Peaked at: 2003 (#46) on 10/17/2012
Ladder Peak, Set Explanation & Full Team
Quark Star (Scolipede) (F) @ Bug Gem
Trait: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Rogue Planet (Empoleon) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Roar

- jaredz99 -
Walrein
"Some say stall is impossible in 5th gen, even more say that hail sucks and has no viable abusers. My goal was to revitalize my favorite playstyle and prove them wrong."
Peaked at: 2013 (#38) on 10/17/2012
Walrein (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SDef
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Blizzard
- Toxic

- Ninelol -
Boss
Boots
"SD Virizion is super anti Rain/Sand and coupled with Rotom-H Makes weather easy to manage. Honchkrow is just a surprise pokemon, Just ruining teams game after game."
Peaked at: 1985 (#27) on 10/4/2012
Entered Hall of Fame at: 1929 on 10/3/2012
RMT
Boss (Honchkrow) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Drill Peck

Boots (Virizion) @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

- TheStarRapper -
Staraptor
"Fast and powerful, and a powerful martyr with a 374 HP nuke."
Peaked at: 1977 (#47) on 10/5/2012
Staraptor (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
- Final Gambit
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

- ClubbingSealCub -
Excadrill Lite
"It's like Excadrill, except it's not broken."
Peaked at 1976 (#83) on 10/6/2012
RMT
Sandslash @ Life Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

- Temp V1 -
Uxie
"How this thing is RU is beyond me, for the set I used alone it should at least be UU, and probably OU."
Peaked at: 1971 (#89) on 10/2/2012
Discussion Response
Uxie @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sdef / 252 Spe
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rocks
- Momento

Hall of Fame Archive (26): (click on the poke icon for more info!)
Gold Class: 1499-1450 & top 20 (3)

1. Noodlez
3/4/12 - 1470 (#9) –
2/5/12 – 1367 (#77) –

2. ToF
1/30/12 - 1465 (#18) –

3. Lady Alex
2/11/12 – 1455 (#14) –
3/8/12 – 1399 (#46) -
3/12/12 – 1374 (#46) -
(icons linked to multiple posts!)
(replay 2, 3)
1/25/12 – 1355 (#81) -
(Discussion Response)

Silver Class: 1449-1400 & top 40 (7)

4. Pearl
1/16/12 - 1455 (#38) –
(ladder update)
2/7/12 – 1385 (#79) –

5. Bad Ass
3/7/12 - 1446 (#16) –

6. AccidentalGreed
1/22/12 - 1438 (#25) –
(Discussion Response)

7. ala
1/16/12 – 1433 (#27) –

8. Molk
3/18/12 – 1421 (#37) –

9. Pwnemon
2/14/12 – 1410 (#27) –
(ladder update)

10. Zoap
2/20/12 – 1405 (#29) -

Bronze Class: 1399-1350 & top 80 (11)

11. Berserker Lord
1/7/12 – 1409 (#43) -
(ladder update)

12. lampeskaerm2
2/25/12 – 1390 (#33) -
(log replay; ladder update)
[Total HoF Entry with Spinda: 2]

13. toshimelonhead
3/9/12 – 1372 (#73) –
1/10/12 – 1356 (#95) –

14. Jcpdragonx
1/15/12 – 1371 (#78) –

15. Texas Cloverleaf
3/5/12 – 1367 (#79) –
(RMT)

16. Raseri
3/4/12 – 1361 (#79) –

17. YAYtears
2/14/12 – 1360 (#70) –
(log replay)

18. Boorego
2/23/12 – 1358 (#70) –

19. Patolegend!
2/29/12 – 1354 (#70) –

20. Master of the Six Kings
2/19/12 – 1352 (#79) –

21. ~Mercury~
2/8/12 – 1351 (#72) –

Honorable Mention: < 1350 & top 100 (5)

22. ginganinja
1/10/12 – 1363 (#84) –
(Discussion Response)

23. ssbm
1/5/12 – 1357 (#87) –
(diff links for each icon!)

24. fairytale
1/8/12 – 1352 (#100) –

25. NoJohns
1/5/12 – 1345 (#95) –
(Discussion Response)

26. Metagross66
1/4/12 – 1339 (#98) –

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Credit goes to the excellent Xous54 for the above Blitzle image. Used with his permission.

Hello, OU! I'm sure some of you recognize me. The team has brought me onboard to manage the registration list for this round of the Dark Horse Project. I am new to this business and to the OU forum in general, but I will be doing my absolute best to keep this thread updated and useful to you. If you have anything you need to say to me, just drop me a line! (I'll even be on IRC in #pokemon occasionally... occasionally.)

As the OP indicates above, all you have to do to register in the project is post along the lines of the form indicated. Due to my high Smogon activity, I will probably be checking this thread 2-3 times a day, and I will take care of the rest. If I somehow miss you though, again, just drop me a line and I will take care of it. My time online is usually centered around 2PM-2AM GMT-4, so that's when I will be most active to maintain this thread.

You are permitted to use the same Dark Horse as someone else, if that wasn't clear - there are no reservations, no rush, etc, and overlap is certainly allowed. Remember, though, that only one of each Dark Horse, and its associated user, can get into the Hall of Fame per month, so if you take a Dark Horse that's already being used, you've got competition! We recommend that you stick to one Horse at a time, but you can also take multiple Horses simultaneously - more than 3 is probably not wise. If you reach the Hall of Fame cutoff with multiple Horses at once, they ALL go into the Hall of Fame with you. And remember, even if someone else takes your Dark Horse to the Hall of Fame first, you CAN take it back by beating their ladder rating, so don't give up easily! Be tenacious and ladder to the top!

If your registration details change (you switch to another Dark Horse, for example), update the original post rather than making a new one. Because we've got a nice little list going on right here, that means I can easily keep track of the registrations and update accordingly. I will be checking past posts when I update the list to make sure that old registrations are updated appropriately. You can drop me a line if I missed anything, of course!

If you've already reached the Hall of Fame this month, you can continue to participate in the project by either creating a new alt and choosing a new Dark Horse, or simply improving your Hall of Fame record even further. You've got one month, and an ocean of Pokemon, OU - we sure aren't going to stop you from trying all of them!

Because I'm so nice, I'll snip this from the statistics thread to save you some clicks. Taken from the Sept-only stats is the below list of Pokemon, all of whom have more than 5% usage on the OU ladder and thus are ineligible for Dark Horse play. If your mon is on this list, or it is Uber, than you can't use it as a Dark Horse... but any other OU-legal mon is up to be chosen!
Note that I have chosen to include Landorus-T and Keldeo on this list - I know, one of their usages for September is below 5%, but the other one is above 5%, and so is their 3 month usage, so I had to make the call and I chose to put them on the list. Maybe if their usage goes down, you might be able to take Keldeo out for a spin as your Dark Horse next month =]
Alakazam
Blissey
Breloom
Cloyster
Conkeldurr
Donphan
Dragonite
Dugtrio
Espeon
Ferrothorn
Forretress
Genesect
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Haxorus
Heatran
Hydreigon
Infernape
Jellicent
Jirachi
Jolteon
Keldeo
Landorus-I
Landorus-T
Latias
Latios
Lucario
Magnezone
Mamoswine
Ninetales
Politoed
Reuniclus
Rotom-W
Salamence
Scizor
Skarmory
Starmie
Tentacruel
Terrakion
Thundurus-T
Tornadus-T
Tyranitar
Vaporeon
Venusaur
Volcarona

Now then, without further ado, here is your user registration list for the Dark Horse Project! The name in brackets after a mon is the active alt, and if someone has already achieved Hall of Fame status with a mon, that mon's name will be bolded and colored appropriately. We're starting to get to the point where people are making second runs on the project, so if they choose to make separate registration posts for their later choices, the links will be on the alts in question.

~~~

Last Update: Oct 30 22:00 [Eastern Daylight Time GMT-4 forum time]

Current Participants: 83 (Newest: the flying afro)

- TheStarRapper - Staraptor 1977/47 (Obscura)
- Pocket - Moltres (Dark Pocket)
- Absolete - Porygon2/Slowbro/Bronzong (Obsolute) | Nidoqueen/Bronzong/Sableye (Obsolute)
- Temp V1 - Uxie 1971/89 (Temp V5) | Cresselia/Sableye (Mr Tempest)
- drakon136 - PorygonZ/Weavile/Mew (Eltas-Krahn)
- NixHex - Chandelure (ChandlerBing)
- ginganinja - Gothitelle 2227/16 (We All Love Birkal) | Claydol (God Haunter)
- ganj4lf - Mew 1977/74 (EvilGrin10) | Poliwrath/Roserade/Sableye (EvilGrin13)
- ClubbingSealCub - Sandslash/Amoonguss 1976/83 (SphealWithIt) | Aerodactyl (ClubbingSpheal)
- White symphoni - Raikou (<Day Dreams>)
- GatoDelFuego - Amoonguss/Sandslash (Alice Twilight)
- Molk - Stoutland/Hippowdon/Celebi 2237/5 (TLC 2 Gud) | Weavile/Slowbro 2213/21 (SOILED IT) | Scrafty/Amoonguss 2273/6 (Fear the Trousers) | Durant 2054/27 (2 Gud) | Smeargle/Gorebyss/Nidoking 2073/30 (Bored as Fuck) | Golurk (Better than Trop)
- Cyredax - Sharpedo/Magneton (Cyroda)
- LucaroarkZ - Zoroark 1954/96 (Tricky Fox) | Aggron/Stoutland (Head Smashed)
- SlimMan - Sandslash/Metagross (Windbreake)
- Jimbon - Lanturn (dialysis)
- Ricky Horror - Zapdos 2015/63 (Miss May I)
- Master of the Six Kings - Machamp (MCHammerArm) 1955/73 | Swampert/Mismagius 1989/59 (SwampMage) | Raikou/Tornadus-I 2139/28 (Johhny Ringo) | Victreebel/Charizard/Hitmontop 1974/45 (Johnny's Sunshine) | Metagross/Whiscash 2152/12 (Johhny's Liability)
- Patolegend! - Toxicroak 2056/44 (le dark frog)
- Jirachi - Shaymin (steven stamkos)
- SubakSupreme - Sharpedo 2143/39 (Monsey)
- Miles Tails - Xatu (Ashirogi Muto)
- Instynct - Mienshao/Xatu (esrohkrad)
- The Reptile - Toxicroak (BattleToads)
- Boondocker - Sableye 2062/38 (SpeedBoostVick)
- Electrolyte - Cobalion 2095/27 (ElectrolyteDH)
- DrunkDemon - Empoleon (DrunkDemon)
- MaximizedGamer - Rotom-F (MaximizedGamer-TDH)
- Lady Alex - Kingdra 2353/15 (Miss K.) | Arcanine 2043/68 (Noblesse Oblige) | Mew/Ninjask/Mr Mime 1997/71 (Triangles) | Chandelure (Bloody Princess) | Deoxys-D 2118/40 (Murder Princess) | Zoroark 2048/4 (Thief Queen) | Umbreon 1974/18 (Luna Blue) | Zapdos 2092/23 (Lady Alex) | Froslass/Shaymin/Bronzong/Blastoise/Weavile/Chandelure (DHTESTDHTEST) | Mismagius 1991/85 (Beatoriche) | Xatu 2047/57 (Bernkastel) | Cofagrigus (Choroneko)
- Lavos Spawn - Suicune 2435/2 (cune) | Basculin (Lavos Spawn)
- Sayonara - Qwilfish (Sayonara)
- Tabuu - Heracross (Pokemon Ace Tabuu)
- pokemon0078 - Empoleon (pokemon0078_eatinghorses)
- MCBarrett - Bisharp (MC50cal)
- alexwolf - Moltres 2098/37 (MoltresMan2) | Rotom-H/Amoonguss (Burning Water)
- Milos - Mienshao/Shaymin (Jet Li)
- The Unlucky one - Lilligant/Victini/Virizion (I love hax)
- Uvood - Regirock (REGI ROCK)
- Eranu - Deoxys-D 2072/30 (vwgold) | Ambipom (VwCaddy)
- exotic - Wobbuffet (Exotic)
- Ninelol - Honchkrow/Virizion/Rotom-H 1985/27 (Ninelol) | Heracross/Gastrodon (Ninelol 2)
- FastFlygon - Lapras 2014/97 (-273.15c) | Gothitelle/Scolipede/Empoleon 2003/46 (FastFlygon)
- zzazzdsa - Jumpluff (Cryolitest)
- The QWAZ - Azelf (QWAZ)
- Bl1tzkri3g - Cresselia/Sableye/Hariyama/Chansey (Sol Perdido)
- TropiOUs - Kyurem 2060/17 (Best Kyurem) | Ambipom 1971/93 (THEMIGHTYAMBIPOM) | Froslass 2119/42 (yukimenoko) | Shifty 2032/88 (Geppetto) | Staraptor/Heracross (Trrrrooop)
- ShakeItUp - Heracross/Metagross/Swoobat/Throh/Deoxys-D (Demolition Boys)
- Jobriq - Mandibuzz/Abomasnow 2057/46 (Daler's Return) | Wobbuffet (WobbuWobbu)
- jg1198 - Deoxys-D/Heracross/Machamp (Sereno José)
- MrCookie - Darmanitan (sirspiketrap100)
- toshimelonhead - Azelf (toshidarkhorse)
- Ithilanor - Cobalion (LordOfKobol)
- Chillarmy - Omastar (ajninagnig)
- zfs - Bronzong (fzs)
- ThunderBlunder - Tornadus-I (Incarnate1)
- Raseri - Registeel/Azumarill (im not raseri)
- DarkBlazeR - Ditto 2191/32 (Qomolangma) | Victini/Cresselia 2325/8 (Aoraki) | Deoxys-D (Gojira)
- Ambicrow3 - Flygon (AmbicrowFly)
- scampy - Rotom-H/Blastoise/Celebi 2076/34 (Super Tofu Boy)
- discoboy - Chansey/Ditto 2048/64 (discoman)
- undisputed - Deoxys-D (rise)
- Jayde - Victini (i'llweelyou) | Lapras (th tri4ce)
- ssbm - Aerodactyl/Magneton/Jumpluff/Kabutops/Froslass/Weavile 1990/87 (2 CHAIIIINZ) | Honchkrow/Staraptor/Mantine/Golurk/Accelgor/Gothitelle (caw caw)
- Asterat - Swampert/Jynx/Bronzong/Heracross (Ever Grander)
- doublenikesocks - Tornadus-I (bruh)
- Allen Blaze - Gastrodon/Lilligant (Allen Alt)
- Broken Wing - Porygon2 (Raw Power)
- The Great Mighty Doom - Stoutland 2412/1 (Kasugami)
- myzozoa - Venomoth/Mew 2209/33 (Venemoth Pwns You)
- Groudon ex - Sigilyph (Warrior)
- Dark Nikuman - Gothitelle (Whistle Baby)
- locopoke - Mr Mime/Mawile (locopoke)
- Ernesto - Slowbro/Amoonguss/Rotom-H/Snorlax/Bronzong (slowbrotest)
- Ninetale3 - Serperior/Togekiss (Ninetale3z)
- col49 - Empoleon (Don't Be Easy)
- Huntofthelion - Heracross 1978/69 (ATG3) | Feraligatr 2051/23 (ATG2)
- jaredz99 - Walrein 2013/38 (hailteamrising) | Lapras (Transport Pokemon)
- SilentRevolver - Zapdos (Exscidium
- Jolteon Bandit - Blastoise (Dancing Lobster)
- Valiant King - Weavile (Master Tricky)
- YuuchyShi - Whimsicott (NelxKon)
- Arcticblast - Swoobat (Darkticblast)
- uslowbro - Rampardos (NukeEm')
- the flying afro - Rotom-H/Gothitelle (theflyingafro)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Credit goes to the incredible Karite-Kita-Neko for the above Blitzle image. Used because it's free for public use. Huzzah!

Preface:

Welcome to the "Learning and Discussion" section of the Dark Horse Project! I am very excited for what's going to take place here, which will mainly be to catalog any meaningful tidbits of advice for public use. This is something new that we'll be working on as a team. As a result, this is currently under construction. However, I've devised a list of questions that you can feel free to answer at any point. Remember, it's not just the answers to these questions that will get posted here; any meaningful advice that you give also has a shot of making it here. I hope this resource can be insightful and meaningful for anyone who's looking to improve their skills with Dark Horse Pokemon.

If you ever see a tidbit or piece of advice that you deem as valuable and would like to see posted here, I'll consider it if you send me a PM with the necessary information. I'll also take questions that you'd like to see answered if you're willing to provide them and add them to the below list. Thanks for your help!

With Pocket, alkinesthetase, and ginganinja now on board, I will be dedicating my full attention to this post. So expect some information up here very soon (from all three Dark Horse Projects)!

Questions:

Birkal said:
How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection?

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created?

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common?

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon?

(For Non-Hall of Fame members only) What was the most challenging aspect of this project? What did you learn the most from your experience with Dark Horse Pokemon? How has your learning from this project changed the way you battle?

Again, feel free to answer any of these questions. It can be anything from a few sentences to an essay. Sharing your learning and thoughts is an incredibly important part of this project. So get writing and keep on laddering. Keep it up!

Complete
Rank 47 with 1977+-54
Pokemon Showdown! Username:Obscura
Dark Horse Pokemon: Staraptor
Screenshot of Top 100 Ladder Ranking:

Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
- Final Gambit
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Fast and powerful, and a powerful martyr with a 374 HP nuke.

Team:
Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Spd / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Superpower

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Spd / 158 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 HP / 30 Def
- Transform
-
-
-

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Questions
How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection? Yeah I just thought I would give it a try because it is my username. I actually used it on the first team I ever made back when I played Beta a lot more, alongside Infernape and they were pretty good together. No regrets haha.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created? I wanted to make an offensive team to complement Staraptor's speed and power, but I also realized that I needed bulk to pull off switches because Raptor can't take a single hit. Latias and Jirachi are all purpose sponges, while the rest of the guys are just powerful killers. However, one could probably have built a better team for Staraptor than I did, I'm not very good at teambuilding. I added Ditto in as an "all purpose check", and he was instrumental in every battle after his addition. Though I was not able to provide either a spinner or magic bouncer, I was able to keep rocks off the field with constant pressure, and if they went up then I would be more inclined to use Brave Bird than final gambit.

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common? It has both advantages and disadvantages. While I thought that people would assume that it was scarfed, most did not, and I was able to kill wayyy too many Genesects first turn with Final Gambit. I can see why Staraptor is BL: too weak for OU, while his offense and speed is too good for UU.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon? I didn't exactly do that well, so I can't pretend I'm hot shit or anything. I wasn't playing badly, but once again, my team didn't have a lot of gel together. EDITI've been doing well lately and am kinda on a streak, the team seems to be better now that I am more comfortable with it.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SHOTGUN

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Dark Pocket
Hall of Fame Standing: ;-;
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Roserade
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 2258 +/- 117
EDIT: darn, ninja'd

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Obsolute
Hall of Fame Standing: None yet
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Porygon2, Slowbro, Bronzong
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1000

Will be starting with this:
Transitioning to a new team when it's finished.

Temp V1

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Temp V5
Hall of Fame Standing: -
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Uxie
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 0

EDIT: Challenge completed, and qualified for Bronze :D

Have to say this was quite fun, it made me think outside the box a little as to exactly which Dark Horse I wanted to use. Instantly I thought it was Sableye, because I love using that thing in general OU, however through some testing with ganj4lF I discovered that it really wasn't working and so I decided to change the team up a bit. Originally it was an offensive rain team, with Sableye there as an annoyance factor and a check to certain stall threats, however when my tests on the beta and with ganj4 revealed it wasn't working I knew I had to change something. It was obvious that I needed a grass type to patch up my issues with Thundurus-T and Rotom, so I decided to add another Dark Horse; Celebi. This made me change the team to a more balanced team, and it worked alright in testing, however I still wasn't really satisfied with the overall results. It was to vulnerable to losing a match due to hax, which I believe no good team should be.

As most of you would know ganj4 was the first to complete this challenge, and I had spent a fair bit of time talking with him about his team, and his strategy. At one point he suggested I try a Hyper Offense team, because they were a lot less vulnerable to hax, and generally quite strong in the current metagame. I hadn't made a HO team since the days of BW1, but I did like the idea of giving it a go, and it worked perfectly. I didn't like HO when I first used it because my playstyle was more suited to stall/balance, although now it seems HO fits me perfectly.

Ganj4 gave me the formula for this HO team, and so I set to work on building my own. I knew that the place the start would be with a Dark Horse, as most of the mons which best fit on HO teams are very commonly used, and there are next to know offensive Dark Horses that work as well as some of OUs most used for a HO team. That lead me to thinking of the suicide role, there were plenty of horses that could fill the slot. To my amazement Deoxys-D qualified as a Dark Horse, with its usage being slightly over 4%. So I figured why not abuse that and use it. Then I realised that would sort of be defeating the purpose of the challenge, as its so close to not being a Dark Horse, that it might as well not be one. That along with the fact that it meant I didn't have to be creative at all, which would have kind of ruined this challenge for me. I was interested in Mew because of ganj4's success with it, although I wanted to try something more original, which eventually lead me to choosing Uxie.

How this thing is RU is beyond me, for the set I used alone it should at least be UU, and probably OU. Generally for a HO team you want the suicide lead to be either a hazard layer, or a dual screener. Uxie does both. Couple the great support move pool with 75/130/130 defenses, and you have yourself one hell of a support mon. Most people expect the typical Yawn/Stealth Rocks/T-Wave/U-Turn Uxie set, which worked perfectly to my advantage, as it never got Taunted during the first few turns, and people kept trying to set up on it. The set I ended up using was this:

Uxie @ Light Clay
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sdef / 252 Spe
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rocks
- Momento

God damn this thing did so much work. I would lead with it 100% of the time, and on the first turn set up whichever of the two screens I felt would give it the most longevity to use its other moves. I would then proceed to set up the other screen if I knew it would live a few more turns, or use Stealth Rocks if I knew it would get KO'd next turn. After both screens where up I'd use rocks, and then finally Memento. So basically at the end of turn 4 the match looks something like this; I have both screens up, with at least 4 turns on each, I have rocks up, my opponent has his mon in, at either -2 attack and special attack, or higher if they were setting up, there may be some hazards on my side, and I have no poke up. So from turn 5 its 5-6, to my opponent, but I have the huge advantage, because his mon is now weakened, I have screens up, and I get to choose what I want to go into to set up with. I swear this Uxie is a fucking beast, and I strongly recommend a few of you give it a go. It is possibly the best HO lead in the meta at the moment, because of the utility, and the surprise factor allowing it to do its job 99% of the time.

As for the rest of my team:

Uxie @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance

I'll add my answers to the questions after dinner.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Eltas-Krahn
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Porygon-Z, Weavile, Mew
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1478

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
| 57 | Chandelure | 2.745% |

Pokemon Showdown! Username: ChandlerBing
Hall of Fame Standing: ----
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Chandelure
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1000

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: We All Love Birkal
Hall of Fame Standing: ----
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Gothitelle
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: N/A

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: EvilGrin10
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze I guess?
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Mew
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1865

Okay, editing to add some content. The Dark Horse I used was Mew, and to be more specific, this set:

Mew @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

This set was originally suggested by Pocket into the Outsiders Challenge thread; previously I was using an Uxie with a similar set (well, not that similar, but still something that remembers Deoxys-D's suicide lead set). Actually, both challenges allowed Deo-D to be used, but I found this set quite effective over it. First of all, it hits way harder, and can deal better with some Rapid Spinners (you don't have to choose between Electrc and Fire coverage, and this means Starmie is OHKO'd on the switch, standard Tentacruel is 2HKO'd outside rain if I remember correctly, and the list goes on). It's still decently bulky, since its HP stat makes up for the lowered defenses, and can run Taunt much more effectively, being able to shut down opposing Deoxys, all Gliscors, and every base 100 not completely invested in Speed. Deoxys misses out on many of those, and while laying Spikes alongside SR is nice and all, most of my team is not exactly happy to be affected from opposing (T-)Spikes, thus Taunt is situationally more valuable than the layers Deo-D can grant. You could also run Lum Berry and Fire Blast to obtain a similar power and the ability to better check Breloom, but that means giving up some KOs that Expert Belt ensures, and being prone to miss hax, which I completely hate. Overall, this set can be considered on many HO teams that need a fast SR setter and Taunt user, since it has a little niche over similar pokes that cover this role.

EDIT2: The team I used is described in this RMT; please check it out if you're interested!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: SphealWithIt
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze I guess
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Sandslash, Amoonguss
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1940 Glicko2 (1831), #92

edit: mfw my team was 1800+ & top 100 before the restart

yay peaked bronze

EDIT: THEY TRIED TO DETHRONE ME

EDIT2: I luv u pocket, no homo

Sandslash @ Life Orb
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

598 Atk and 500 speed after a swords dance is mindblowingly aweosme, especially when you have Stab EQ and EdgeQuake coverage. 'Slash requires support (namely, Hippo / Ttar and a team that can take care of Skarmory and weaken Ferro / Forry), but he's a very mean sweeper under sand, and acess to Swords Dance makes him way better than poor Stoutland. It's like Excadrill, except it's not broken.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Giga Drain (previously Seed Bomb)
- Spore
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power Ice

Physically defensive Amoonguss, hell yeah. Checks a lot of fighting types, puts a full-stop to every Breelom variant, sleeps stuff, scoffs at Keldeos not packing HP Ice or Icy Wind, laughs at set-up sweepers and puts stuff to sleep. HP Ice takes care of Dragons that think he's set up bait. Regenerator seals the deal, letting the funghus take repeated assaults. Took a big hit? Switch out. No sweat on forehead.

For more info, RMT containing these two on mah siggy.

EDIT: May aswell answer the questions.

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection?

I chose Sandslash mainly because I had already used him successfully in the past, but I've been a sandstorm-enthusiast since I began my competitive battling career so using him just felt natural for me. Amoonguss was chosen because, honestly, he's nothing short of amazing. It have no idea how this thing gets such a low usage. Spore, Regenerator, Clear Smog, absorbs T-spikes, resists fighting, takes hydropumps and thunders... seriously, what more could you ask for? All in all, I'm more than happy with my two choices.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created?

Well, first and foremost, Sandslash needed sand. I considered both Hippowdon and Tyranitar, but the big dinosaur got the nod in the end because I prefer to play offensive teams. Genesect was something I had been wanting to try when building, and the ridiculous amount of pressure it is capable of putting the opponent under is amazing. Paired with Rotom-W, who completes a Volt-Turn core and checks rain nicely; my team only needed an answer to Sun and something to take Terrakion's CC's. Heatran checks sun very well, provides rocks and phazes. Amoonguss didn't enter the team until much later, after testing stuff like Slowbro and Skarmory. Thanks to regenerator, his typing, and spore, he provided me with a great "oh shit" button to sponge incoming attacks while putting a poke to sleep (which honestly, is great on an offensive team). I guess the biggest two factors have been my love for both sand and offense, so combining the two just felt right.

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common?

I guess it depended on the opponent. Most of the players on the ladder aren't used to mons that get low usage. For Sandslash in particular, I guess there must be a youtube battler that uses a support Sandslash on his team or something, because I found Espeon and Xatu trying to come in on Sandslash to try and bounce back rocks when I was SD'ing instead, no need to say that the results were sometimes desastrous for them. The element of surprise is always a great thing to have - but relying on it too much is never a good thing. The pokémon you choose also plays a big factor in this, obviously. Sandslash is a poke I had used before, and is not precisely a bad one. As long as your team can cover your Dark Horse's needs or your Dark Horse can fill a specific niche for you, you should be good to go.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon?

It wasn't particularly hard nor time consuming, because I had achieved a similar rating with the team before the challenge. It was a huge benefit, because with 'Slash, winning the weather war means that he can only be stopped by a handful of pokémon, and my team was well-prepared to take those threats on.

The best advice I can give is to just get out there and experiment. Lower-tier mons are not necessarily bad, and you may find just that thing your team needs to start racking up victories. When teambuilding, support is obviously important for the Dark Horse, but if your team relies too much on it, you're most likely going to have a bad time.

Bryce

Lun
Pokemon Showdown! Username: <Day Dreams>
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Raikou
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!:1000

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
User: wealllovebirkal
Format ACRE GXE Glicko2 W L T
ou 1863 90 2100 ± 168 (provisional) 5 0 0
O.k so I got to 1863 in about 5 battles rofl. Is there a DEV requirment or something or have I just qualified for Bronze rank xD

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Alice Twilight
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Amoonguss, Slowbro
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: none

Repping amoongbro & full stall

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: TLC 2 Gud
Hall of Fame Standing: Silver
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Stoutland
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: ou 1943 89 2058 ± 83 (provisional) 23 4 0
was kyurem before, but in honor of TLC, i must do this

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Cyborg
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Deoxys-Defense
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1336

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Tricky Fox
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Zoroark
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1872

alkinesthetase

Yeah ginga, I think ganj4lf is right - top 100 on ladder, as well as 1800+ rating, is the hof cutoff. Check with Pocket and Birkal if you're not sure; I'm useless on ladder lol

Also, updated again! Let me know if the links are in the wrong places

Pokemon Showdown Username: Raincoat Dark Horse
Hall of Fame Standing: nothing yet but 1800 on PS's ladder is nothing; imo, it oughta be raised to 1900
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Sandslash and Metagross (over the limit in 3-month stats, but a Dark Horse by September's stats)
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown: N/A

I'm not gonna get the chance to ladder until tonight. It shouldn't take too long, but I'll be real mad if ClubbingSealClub ladders all day and steals Sandslash away from me! :P

Pokemon Showdown! Username: dialysis
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Lanturn
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1819 (30-6)

Pokemon Showdown! Username:Miss May I
Hall of Fame Standing:-
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With:Zapdos
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!Glicko 2015 will get that Gold tomorrow ;)

alkinesthetase

slimman, not sure about metagross, but i'll let it go for now since it is, as you said, a qualifier under 1 month stats. i'm gonna check in with my overlords for clarification later today on IRC (I'm actually in a lecture right now... >_>) but i can let it slide atm.

and we'll see about the ladder cutoffs =P I think this is the first time DHP has been done on PS, so who knows. My overlords might change it. PS's ladder can be a bit wonky, and it doesn't help that it was reset recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)