The Next Best Thing

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Jirachi @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

My take on Superachi(!). Very few people expect Jirachi to hit so hard right off the bat. This set works wonders based on surprise value - most people only prepare for three Jirachi sets: the SDef set, the SubCM set and the Scarf set. When they see I don't run Leftovers, 99% of players will immediately assume that I'm running Scarf Jirachi (hardly anyone expects the rare EBelt set either). The natural reaction is to switch to something like a bulky Ground, Skarmory, Heatran, or even their own Jirachi. Either set up a Calm Mind immediately, or just predict the switch in the smack them with the appropriate move. As well as being a fantastic lure for such 'mons, this Jirachi is simply a solid special attacker that requires less setup than its bulkier SubCM counterpart.

Note that this set could be tweaked in many ways, such as replacing Psychic with Flash Cannon to deal with Tyranitar, Lati@s and Hydregion, and obviously Thunderbolt could be replaced with Thunder on a rain team. You could also replace Life Orb with Expert Belt or Leftovers, though the extra power would be missed, and the bluff would be more difficult to execute with the latter. I run Modest because I'm not sure why I need the extra speed provided by Timid. If you're wondering why I lowered the HP IVs - that's because it gives a Life Orb number (a HP number ending in a 9), which gives Jirachi 11 uses of its Life Orb instead of 10 from full health.
I can attest to this set's effectiveness, except I usually run Grass Knot + HP Fire for the last 2 attacks to OHKO Scizor, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon because I bring Dugtrio support. It works quite well on weatherless offense, which is a severely underrated playstyle atm. Also:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

This is basically a tank attacker Jirachi, boasting much more power to its Iron Head, paraflinch, providing Stealth Rock support, and free switch-ins with U-turn. hm yeah not much to say about it, but most people don't expect a Jirachi that can take some hits to pack much of a punch.

Delgas, as far as the teammates argument goes there isn't a great number of teammates that can come in Earthquakes and Earth Powers unter Gravity, which is Gravity's entirely point - for offensive teams at least. IMO Jirachi shouldn't take on the entire metagame on its own but the most dangerous Ground types.

If not, be sure to mention Celebi. It is the only OU mon to survive any Landorus's sets in Gravity for more than two turns (except for U-Turn, but that's only one turn). Other honorable mention to Virizion, Heracross and Tangrowth.

Blizzard

@ NeverMeltIce

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam/Thunder
- Substitute
- Wish

This is the Paraflinch set with a little difference: Substitute and Wish. Jirachi's job here to be able to paralyze as many Pokemon it can so that the team can sweep efficiently. And if it wants to, then it can try for a sweep of its own. Jirachi behind a substitute is quite a threat as any Pokemon that wants to switch in to, say, Iron Head, will suddenly find Jirachi using Substitute. After that, a Pokemon is bound to get paralyzed before this pixie goes down. Wish increases longevity and it pass huge Wishes to its teammates. And on top of that, this set has the ability to beat Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn one-on-one!

Thunder is a nice alternative on rain teams, should you want to paralyze Jellicent or something, otherwise it isn't suggested, because, getting a paralysis on Landorus, Thundurus-T, Jolteon, Gastrodon is quite handy.The EV spread is quite simple. Max HP means max HP Wishes and max Speed to set up Substitute or Body Slam or Iron Head opposing Jirachi or Dragonite or anything slower.

As mentioned before, this Jirachi's job is to paralyze as many Pokemon as possible. Hence, its teammates are the ones who love the paralysis on the opposing Pokemon. Examples include Choice Band/Swords Dance Scizor, Tyranitar, Rotom-w, Substitute+Salac Berry Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Quiver Dance Volcarona, Substitute Calm Mind Latias, etcetera.

Delgas, as far as the teammates argument goes there isn't a great number of teammates that can come in Earthquakes and Earth Powers unter Gravity, which is Gravity's entirely point - for offensive teams at least. IMO Jirachi shouldn't take on the entire metagame on its own but the most dangerous Ground types.

If not, be sure to mention Celebi. It is the only OU mon to survive any Landorus's sets in Gravity for more than two turns (except for U-Turn, but that's only one turn). Other honorable mention to Virizion, Heracross and Tangrowth.
Honorable mention of Parasect? :D
It's actually a beast in rain which I assume you'll run for Thunder Jirachi and it double resists EQ. It appreciates Gravity+Spikes/Toxic Spikes because it forces switches and is stallish and its Leech Seed could use the perfect accuracy.

Anyway.. Anyone have any input on my balloon-recycle Jirachi?

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
WORDS WORDS WORDS.
The smogon page for Recycle said:
Recycle fails if the user was not holding an item, if the item was a popped Air Balloon, or if the item was lost to Bug Bite, Covet, Incinerate, Knock Off, Pluck, or Thief.
Dude your set doesn't even work. I don't mean in the "It's bad" sense I mean in the "This set literally does not work due to game mechanics" sense. Please test your sets before you post them.

NYTTYN EDIT: Gently caress I just did some research and it seems that absolutely nowhere else mentions Air Balloon not being replenished by Recycle. Can someone please double-check this? Because what the smogon page is saying compeltely contradicts Veekun and Bulbpedia, among other sources.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm surprised Specs Jirachi has yet to be mentioned:

Jirachi @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SDef
- Doom Desire
- Psyshock
- Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Grass Knot / U-turn / Healing Wish

1. Doom Desire can OHKO Reu. At least, last time I used it Doom Desire did ^-^.
2. Destroy stall instantly; suffer the drawbacks of being forced out after using DD
3. Nice for gimmick teams

Jirachi @ Expert Belt / Shuca Berry
Nature: Mild
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Punch
- Thunderbolt

1. Its a great wallbraeker and Baton Pass recipient
2. It hard-core fucks all EQ users (for the most part)
3. A better gimmick than the specs variant.

EB Jirachi really can't beat dragons so that's a major drawback since its bulk is limited. The Specs set is decent for tanking dragon attacks and spitting out DD, but keep in mind its the same as locking yourself into recover: your forced out! Both these sets are fun to use and I would certainly try them out. ShakeItUp once used the EB pivot and it was amazing in BW1 and that team is probably still decent in BW2, while the specs set can be placed on any team that needs both a wall breaker and something to take those pesky outrages.

I don't really have any teams on me with these two (since I'm at school) but maybe I'll post some in the future so y'all can try them out ^-^ (will edit with pictures when I get home mods D:)

Dude your set doesn't even work. I don't mean in the "It's bad" sense I mean in the "This set literally does not work due to game mechanics" sense. Please test your sets before you post them.

NYTTYN EDIT: Gently caress I just did some research and it seems that absolutely nowhere else mentions Air Balloon not being replenished by Recycle. Can someone please double-check this? Because what the smogon page is saying compeltely contradicts Veekun and Bulbpedia, among other sources.
I tested it, it works. Thanks to Substitute, it does wish it had some form of recovery though.. soo I'll slash in Wish.

Blizzard

@ NeverMeltIce
Jirachi @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Gravity
- Iron Head
- Thunder
- DynamicPunch

Just when you thought Jirachi couldn't get anymore annoying and hax-inducing... Gravirachi shows up. The basic premise of this set is to set up Gravity on a switch, and start smacking things with DynamicPunch and Thunder and Iron Head, moving into paraflinch, flinchfusion, parafusion, or even paraflinchfusion as needed.
Iron Head is the standard STAB move with that 60% flinch rate, Thunder gets 100% accuracy in Gravity and paralyzes 60% of the time, as well as being a powerful move. DynamicPunch has great coverage and power, gets 83% accuracy in Gravity, and with Serene Grace has a 200% chance to confuse. This set works best on offensive teams, as it is meant to hit hard and force switches. Rain is also appreciated, reducing Fire-type moves' damage, and giving Thunder perfect accuracy regardless of Gravity. As for specific teammates, Sheer Force Landorus-I is the best, because while it loses it's Ground immunity in Gravity, so do its foes; Landorus also gets a never-miss Focus Blast. Other good options include Garchomp, who now can smash Skarmory and Bronzong, and Pokemon that use moves with shaky accuracy *coughStoneEdgecough*. Another interesting fact is that the moveset can be translated wholesale to a defensive set with Leftovers, as the foe's prolonged immobility grants many turns of healing.
Gravity gives 100%accuracy to Thunder, 83% accuracy to Dynamic punch. Okay.

Telekinesis: Lasts 3 turns and makes all moves hit the target. Makes target immune to Ground-type moves.
Can Telekinesis be used over Gravity? Even though its effect lasts for only three turns and gives the target an immunity to ground moves? I don't know. I guess it would be ideal if Jirachi was the only Pokemon meant to be benefited from the 100% accuracy. Deglas, would you keep Telekinesis as an option over Gravity? I'd like to know how Telekinesis would fare competitively. Or have i misinterpreted what it's supposed to do?

Shurtugal Draco Meteor is also a damn cool move to use on the Specs set, but iirc i remember running enough Speed to outrun standard Hydreigon, and beating neutral max lucario. So 180 EVs i think. But yeah its a great way to quickly snipe down Dragons, as although Doom Desire can still take them down, Draco Meteor has the benefit of immediately taking them all down, which is very useful considering how immediately threatening Dragon-types are. Its also got the same BP against Mence, Chomp and Nite, so there's that too. I was gonna post it, but once again raz'acd :P

Whoah, whoah, whoah, people. i'm pretty sure we can only post one set each. If not, I reserve a defensive version of my set.

Onicon and youngjake93, thanks for reminding me to include Ground-resistant teammates. I can't believe I never thought to mention them.

pkblizzard, Telekinesis is not viable. You only have two turns on which to abuse it, and it can be negated by simply switching out.

EDIT: New discovery. Use with Tangrowth, who fears no Earthquakes, and never misses Sleep Powder under Gravity.

Heyo I'm at school right now so I can't make a really detailed post
Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head

EDIT : UPDATED

Pretty much just toxic and flinch everything! Works well against stall once things like Tentacruel are dead. Can even beat hippowdown and other physical walls that would usually wall physicalrachi (Luck needed). Fire Punch allows you to actually set up and beat Ferrothorn, as long it doesn't carry the rare bulldoze. Using this set with something like TSpikes is also very helpful, as wasting a turn to toxic something is problematic at times.

Ah yes, Toxic-Flinch. We remember a set from the old Creative and Good thread before the "no-shitty-gimmik" has come into effect. Let us guess, then you will tell us if we had been right.

You have a Jolly nature, which means it will be faster than 299. It probably has 252 EVs in speed, but at least 216 to outpace Kyurem-B. It will need that speed because it one is without para support.
Your main damage output will come from the poison, so you probably have as much HP as possible and as much Atk as necessary to take out a few Steel types. Unfortunately, Jirachi is not going to OHKO Scizor with a neutral nature. It also fails to 2HKO 252/+252 Forretress, so maximum Atk is likely wrong. 176 Atk allows you to 2HKO standard Ferrothorn after SR and if you don't care about them, 240 to 248 in HP for more bulk.
An alternate option for Fire Punch would be U-Turn + Magnezone.

That is as far as we can reconstuct your set - tell us how close we have got.

Jirachi @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 52 SDef / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch / Wish
- Stealth Rock

This set is designed as a lead set and to counter many of the common leads while setting up Stealth Rocks. This set will often paralyze and kill of Landorus-T before he is able to set up Stealth Rocks as the most often go for the Earthquake on the first turn. It is also able to stop many of the common Jirachi counters that use ground moves and continue to either set up or paralyze. The speed is designed to outspeed Jolly Breloom and to be able to 2HKO him with Iron Head as well as outspeed several other threats such as Dragonite. Fire Punch allows for Jirachi to stop Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Forretress but Wish adds to survivability. The use of Shucka Berry is advised to allow for surprise kills on Ground Types instead of Air Balloon.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
jirachi @ light clay
trait: serene grace
evs: 252 hp / 150 def / 108 spd
bold nature
- stealth rock
- reflect
- light screen
- psychic / body slam

will add a description later :toast:
description time

this jirachi is a lovely lead for hyper-offensive teams, especially when you have a terrakion or garchomp on the team as well, because then you can bluff that you're leading one of those two and instead lead jirachi, possibly gaining a lead matchup advantage. anyways, rachi's super bulky and has great typing, so i give it enough speed to outspeed positive natured base 70s (breloom!) and the rest is dumped in hp and defense for maximum wall power. rocks are cool, because every offensive team needs them, but that's pretty standard for a lead. the exciting part is dual screens, which rachi gets but hardly ever uses, meaning nobody ever expects it which is awesome. get up rocks, reflect, and light screen, maybe attack once, then die and start setting up sweepers. very nice indeed, and it runs the set better than deo-d because of surprise value (everyone expects deo-d to lead, almost nobody expects rachi to). last moveslot is totally optional, i like psychic because stab is nice and ttar is usually too scared of rachi to stay in anyways, but body slam is also perfectly viable except then you can't touch gengar...

use my set :]

Jirachi @

trait: serene grace
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
jolly nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

This is the standard revenge killing set for jircachi with a little twist. Healing wish is an amazing move to use on jirachi, allowing him to not only be a solid revenge killer but also gives it a dash of team support. Theres alot of games, especially in the late game, where i find my choice scarf jirachi walled by something or next to useles, thats where healing wish can come and heal a more useful teammate, like a sweeper, to full health and relieve them of status. I find it can be completly game-changing, often what looks like a easy win for the opponent gets turned into a win for me with this set.

As I posted before in the OU Leads topic, I have found this build of Jirachi to be quite successful.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
- Trick
- Magic Coat
- U-turn
- Iron Head

This Jirachi is pretty much the perfect counter to Deoxys-D. Fortunately, Mental herb and magic coat do not prevent trick, so with this Rachi in the lead position, there are a number of things you can do. If you're facing a Deoxys-D, then you can just trick it a scarf, and watch as the momentum switches to your side of the field. If they decide to only get up rocks, then you can u-turn out to whatever they switch out to, and proceed to have the game be in your favor. If they magic coat and you trick them a scarf, then they can either A. Go for rocks. B. Set up spikes. Or C. Switch out. Now, with Magic coat, 2 out of those three options will spell doom for them. After they see you're running magic coat and deflect their hazards back at them, then you can just u-turn out on the obvious switch, and then it's actually YOU making all the moves of the game. Deoxys-D's only offensive option to hit Jirachi is fire gem boosted HP Fire, which it can't even use since you trick it the scarf. This Rachi also helps out late game, being able to trick an item you got earlier onto something that doesn't appreciate it. Say you tricked a chansey your scarf, now you have an eviolite to trick onto something else. If you choose to keep your scarf intact, then you are able to keep up offensive pressure with scarf u-turn. If you lead with this rachi and it's an unfavorable matchup, then you can just u-turn out and have rachi serve as a way to cripple walls, and as a way to bounce back the opposing hazards.

Also, I just copied and pasted so that I wouldn't have to waste time rewriting everything, so that's why they are both the same.

Good ol picklesword's jirachi from DPPT

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Fire Punch

With heatran eliminated and this thing can come in and just destroy entire teams. It is not really a defensive pokemon so you cant expect to just switch it in like you would special defensive jirachi. But if it gets up a sub.... Oh man . Powerful stab iron heads can open up teams. Also thunder wave helps this set by putting the opponent in a bad spot... Either stay in and get iron headed or switch to something else to take another t-wave. of course a set like this takes very good set up and team support. It likes all the water types and heatran to be properly disposed of so anything that can lure and kill things like defensive politoed and jellicent are great. Tyranitar comes to mind as a great teammate because it can weaken said water types and deal with heatran if need be.I would'nt revolve my team around it but I would highly consider this set to be a excellent offensive filler on any team.

Tiffanyy are those 176 atk evs really that important? Ferrothorn can't do anything against you anyway, and Scizor doesn't threat you that much, I'd rather go with max hp to have some bulkyness in order to set up easily.
Also you can pair it up with Gotithelle in a say, Sand Offense team, this way you'll gain advantage against the opposing weather war (since a toxiced Politoed is half dead, especially if it's defensive) cbtar could also help you against Heatran, or maybe with Dugtrio in a Rain offense.
Either way it was a great ''dp gem'' in the Latias and Salamence era, hope it wins.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Voting Period for Jirachi starts now, here are links to each set you can vote for:

Alexander.
DarkBlazeR
namehtmas
Neliel
Onicon
Deglas
youngjake93
Halcyon of Light
ThePillsburyDoughBoy Sets 1 and 2 (Vote as Separate)
Lavos Spawn
pokemon0078
pkblizzard
Shurtugal Sets 1 and 2 (Vote as Separate)
Tiffanyy
ace combat
gengarsnemesis
Sork
Curtains

For voting, just put the username of the person you wish to vote for in bold and a short 1 or 2 sentence explanation for why you chose that set. Voting will be open for 2 days! Feel free to VM or PM me any suggestions for the next test subject if you have any.

Lavos Spawn

Since I don't want to vote for myself, I voted for Lavos' Jirachi because it looks like a lot of fun to use; utilising dual screens is quite an underrated strategy (though Joeyboy is right that it has 518 EVs and hence has to be tweaked before it can be used).

Deglas

I like this set as it makes jirachi an incredibly difficult target to hit as well as make great use of gravity on the hole. In addition it can be flexibly used on both offensive and defensive gravity team.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Seems I'm a little late to the party. Too bad. But I have a gem to share anyways.

Shurtugal Posted about SpecsRachi. I love her for that. Specs version is HIGHLY underrated i this metagame.

Here's my version with a twist. And for a completely different purpose.

xwishh [zwish]

verb
1. Competitive Pokemon the act of anticipating an opponent's switch and switching at the same time in order to maintain the advantage

noun
1. see also double switch

Xwish Rachi

Jirachi @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Trick

I will not lie. You'll need a certain amount of predictive skills to pull it off. But when done right you'll be wrecking all those annoying Volt-Turn sand teams and those Choiced Cookie Cutter/Rain teams left right and Centre.
Done? Okay, moving on to the Moveset Explaination.

Smogon may usually highly trivialise two turn moves as the main complaint is that they give up momentum during the charge up/cooldown period but in this case it does exactly the opposite...

Doom Desire on Jirachi may seem strange, but it's surprisingly effective if you can pull it off. It has been boosted to 140 power and 100% accuracy in 5th Gen, making it more accurate than Draco Meteor and just as powerful. The key to this set is the art of xwishhing.

After I fire off Doom Desire, the opponent will usually switch to a Steel resist. When they do, I can xwishh to Terrakion, Latios, or whatever else. If I can get an advantage against the opponent, then they might be in a tough predicament: either switch out to a non-Steel resist and eat a Doom Desire or stay in and take whatever I throw at them.

The other moves are mainly there to give Jirachi something to do when it can't spam Doom Desire. Thunderbolt gives me a weapon to hit annoying Tornadus and other Rain threats with, while Psyshock is generally useful for getting a decent hit on Blissey or whatever else. Trick is always a nice filler when you're running a Choice item as well notthing better than crippling that ferrothorn.

Preferred partners to help Jirachi in this coup is Terrakion and the Offensive variants of of the Lati Twins. Between them, you can just check trap every opponent in the Metagame. It's fucking beautiful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)