Counter that Pokemon - Mk III [Silvershadow234 vs. New Breed]

ss234

bop.
js rotom doesn't counter escavalier in trick room, since CB megahorn is a 2HKO. It's a check at best in tr, although it does a pretty good job of dealing with esca outside of tr, since it can switch in and threaten a burn / pain split damage off and do this repeatedly thanks to its much higher bulk. So even with rotom team 2 might want a way to deal with escavalier in tr.

But Spiritomb also has Will-o-Wisp and is very "fast" under Trick Room, making it good to combat Escavailer in and out of Trick Room. Since burns completely cripple Escavalier, it is important to consider the burns. Sure Rotom can use Pain Split, but since Escavalier has no reliable recovery Rotom will only have so much health to "split" and it's a matter of time before Rotom gets Taunted by another team member or Megahorn gets a crit and KOs Rotom.

Spiritomb can't check Escavalier in Trick Room either as it gets destroyed by a Megahorn. Rotom and Spiritomb do pretty much the exact same job it's just Rotom has the bonus of Pain Split to heal and Spiritomb has the bonus of checking Slowking in and out of Trick Room.

Team One is clearly going to have to address the Escavalier issue as it cleanly sweeps with Trick Room up.

Molks Rotom wins it out with 6 votes! Now, Team 2 is going to pick two Pokemon, one after the other, and Team 1 wil then finsih it off with one more. so getting nominating :)

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I told cherub to change the title! I am so helpful! lol

Anyway, onto the pokemon, simply because spiritomb can't learn trick room.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

Team 2 already has 2 trick room abusers, so wynaut a third? It would really strengthen the use of trick room and has another setter for escavalier to really get on a sweep. The burn both limits what team 1 can pick, and destroys both druddigon and absol bar fire blast. The subpunch is there because it has enough bulk to get off sometimes 2 focus punches with a pretty large amount of power.

I'm a bit curious how Dusknoir answers Absol, considering:
244+ Atk Life Orb Absol Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 252-299 (85.71 - 101.7%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
:P

Regardless, I haven't been posting here much, but I guess better late than never or something ^_^ I was so tempted to suggest Poliwrath, but it really kills the offensive momentum of the team, and at that point Team 2 could pretty easily select an Electric-type that can play around Pilo and that's that, so:

berd (Altaria) @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 216 Spd / 112 HP / 180 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

berd offers Team 2 a couple useful perks. It's typing and good bulk allow it to take on Team 1's Accelgor handily, check Samurott (obviously not taking an Ice Beam), and even take a singular hit from Absol in a pinch. It's strong STAB attacks allow it to OHKO every member of the opposing after SR damage barring Rotom, who can't really due much back thanks to Altaria's good special bulk and Natural Cure. This choice also pressures Team 1 to pick a faster Pokemon, even a Choice Scarf user, packing an Ice- or Rock-type attack, which can in turn let in Pokemon like Escavalier, Slowking, or Hitmonlee in for free, allowing Team 2 to regain offensive momentum much more easily. The EVs allow it to outpace Absol and by extension Rotom and Samurott, hit a LO # and allow Altaria to take a singular Sucker Punch from Absol after SR damage, and of course maximize offensive prowess.

Relevant Calcs:
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Accelgor: 351-413 (116.22 - 136.75%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0- SpD Absol: 341-402 (125.36 - 147.79%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Absol: 220-259 (81.18 - 95.57%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Samurott: 300-355 (90.63 - 107.25%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Samurott: 195-230 (58.91 - 69.48%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Druddigon: 439-517 (122.62 - 144.41%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Druddigon: 283-335 (79.05 - 93.57%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom: 250-294 (82.23 - 96.71%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
180+ SpA Life Orb Altaria Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom: 161-191 (52.96 - 62.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Accelgor Bug Buzz vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 84-99 (26.33 - 31.03%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
244+ Atk Life Orb Absol Sucker Punch vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 203-239 (63.63 - 74.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
244+ Atk Life Orb Absol Night Slash vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 177-211 (55.48 - 66.14%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 118-139 (36.99 - 43.57%) -- 97.66% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Thanks for your time n_n

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
-Spikes
-Giga Drain
-Rest
-Sludge Bomb

Team 1's main method of checking Team 2 involves a lot of switching. In addition, all but Rotom are weak to hazards. So wynaut make use of this and set some Spikes up?

Spikes are obvious and make Team 1 way easier to check. Giga Drain is for useful STAB and lets us effectively counter Samurott as well as do something while walking Rotom. Sludge Bomb hits everything else on Team 1 and notably 2HKOs Accelgor after SR. Rest allows us to recover everything and run while curing sleep thanks to Natural Cure.

This guy has decent synergy with the rest of the team, especially Slowking and Piloswine.

Are we allowed to nominate sets/give feedback/discuss for both teams, or do we only get to participate in working with one of them?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Are we allowed to nominate sets/give feedback/discuss for both teams, or do we only get to participate in working with one of them?
We only work with one team at a time, working on both teams at the same time would probably be a bit too chaotic, but feel free to nominate sets/give feedback for the team we're currently working on! (team 2 Piloswine/Escavalier/Slowking/Hitmonlee).

Okay, then I am nominating a set for Slot #5, Team 2:

Hariyama (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 184 HP/252 Atk/72 Def
-Cross Chop
-Toxic
-Ice Punch
-Stone Edge

If you ask me, Team 2 needs a Pokemon that can absorb status, and Hariyama does just that with Guts. It also hits all of the current Team 1 members for neutral damage, and 3 out of 5 super-effectively. The defense EVs help compensate for the lack of physical bulk on the team. Cross Chop is Hariyama's best STAB since Close Combat makes it too easy to revenge kill. Toxic is specifically for Rotom, so it can't stall forever with Pain Split. Ice Punch and Stone Edge are for coverage.

ss234

bop.

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Night Slash
- Superpower

ATM, rotom does a huge number on team 2. It walls hitmonlee, can burn esca, can 2HKO slowking, and also burn piloswine. Luckily however, there is a way to trap rotom, and stop it from beating team 2's main win conditions-esca in tr and hitmonlee, that being pursuit, and absol is arguably one of the best pursuit users in the tier. It forces rotom into a checkmate position-does it switch and get killed by pursuit, or stay in and potentially get wrecked by Night Slash? With maximum speed investment, absol speed ties with team 1's absol(jolly can't even 1HKO rotom with night slash guaranteed with sr up)and thanks to its 130 base attack absol is incredibly hard to switch into, with nothing on team 1 currently being able to switch into its Night Slash apart from team 1's absol but that gets crushed by spower and is 2HKO'd by night slash and spunch so that's not reliable either. Absol also has that powerful spunch to stop weakened samurott, as well as stop accelgor as well if esca somehow dies. Although absol can't directly switch in on rotom, as long as it can come in after a kill or double switch it can put immense pressure on team 1 and potentially take rotom out of the game for good, which is all team 2 really needs to sweep with lee / esca in tr.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Spiritomb@ Lum Berry
Trait: Pressure
Evs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Pursuit
-Sucker Punch
-Shadow Sneak
-Will-O-Wisp

Spiritomb would be great since it gets rid of the pesky Rotom problem with it's Lum Berry and 3 attacking moves. It can switch in on Will-O-Wisp with it's Lum Berry and use Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch if it'll stay or Pursuit if it'll switch. It also can spread burn to Team 1's Druddigon and Absol. It's typing gives it 3 immunities, which can be very useful as well.

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore

Amoonguss is an excellent choice for Team 2 as it is a reliable check to Samurott and has great synergy with Slowking, creating an annoying Regenerator core. Samurott still has the ability to 2HKO Amoonguss if they predict the switch in and use Ice Beam with SR up, but Regenerator allows Team 2 to pivot around it until they find a safe switch in. Amoonguss also doesn't mind the burn from Rotom and also forces Team 1 to either pick a Sleep Talker in their last slot or sac a Pokemon to sleep fodder.

can you make a new post and discuss your entei in regard to the newer team members and stuff? sure you can nom the same pokemon but i'd like it to be updated.

I vote New Breed's Amoonguss for its Trick Room abuse, stalling capabilities, and of course Spore.

Could I possibly get feedback on my Hariyama set in the context of this team-building process (apart from Hitmonlee already being present)?

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
New Breed's Amoonguss, since it can effectively eliminate the threat that is Rotom and force Team 1 to pick a Pokemon such as Magmortar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)