Next Mekkahfia Project

Next Big Mafia

• Total voters
I like making and hosting games. I'd go as far as saying I find it more fun than playing. I just get so many ideas I don't know where to put all them.

So, there's several things that I have in store, which range from just started to almost finished projects. I'd like to hear from the crowd which you'd like to see happen next. I also lack a co-host for some (most) of these...I usually do not really need a co-host but they're good company and sometimes I forget really simple things that others do think of.

Since there's currently a large gap where our next big game was supposed to be (Hip can't host for a while), I'm contemplating to make some of these games 50-player rather than ~25 player.

1. Double Alias Mafia II
The last DA game was a blast, and I'd love to try it again, even if it's going to be HUGE. One problem is that last time, the revelation of someone's role PM upon his first death spoiled a lot of the game. The Mark Knopfler role avoided some of it, but when you go big, one Mark Knopfler is not enough, and more than one is starting to border on broken. So I'd like to experiment further with what to reveal upon first death: nothing, just alliance, just role, just flavor, or a combination, etc. This is why I am hesitating to make it a large game.

2. Fire Emblem Mafia II
Was a lot of fun, but looking back, the game design was mediocre and inbalanced (neutrals, NPCs, some roles), I managed it rather poorly spreadsheet-wise and it ended up canceled. This theme deserves a lot better than that. Of course, when it comes to Mekkah games, second time is always the charm. It's rather easy for me to whip up a large Fire Emblem game, and this theme in general can be combined with one of the other concepts easily. I don't know how large everyone's desire is...a lot of players who played this are much more absent now, but I know some of them have been clamoring for its return for ages (hi Gmax). One idea I've had is making it pseudo-YCI, where players who sign up can request (privately) whether they want a Fire Emblem-themed role or not, which I can then take into account in both design and distribution.

3. Unicycle II
Despite all the luckfucks in the experiment, the system worked better than I could ever have hoped for. I think Unicycle is best fit for small games though. Big ones need that slow tempo for a long time for suspense and strategy. Not much to say here - you know the drill. WHHHHYYYYYY

4. Money
The concept of money deserves its own chapter. It had so much more potential than I showed in Fire Emblem Mafia. I have both a small and a big game design half-done for this. I have a vague promise going on towards porygon3 for hosting some of this together. Money can easily be combined with other concepts, of course, though Unicycle and DA both might make it too hard to handle.

5. Mekkah/moi mafia
Yeah, this isn't probably isn't going to happen if moi keeps vanishing, but we had some sort of game planned...

6. Mekkah/Accent mafia
See above, except Accent returns pretty quickly after vanishing. :p

Some of these things are highly experimental. On one hand, I don't really want to risk a big game failure/inbalance on a simple oversight with a new concept. But on the other hand, a lot of things we now have as standards began with a big mafia: items, aliases...and even though Viva had some crucial flaws in it, it was a lot of fun. And fun is what we're looking for.

So players, please voice your preferences!

(in before some smartass expresses his desire for Fire Emblem themed Double Alias Unicycle Mafia, involving money and hosted by Mekkah, Accent and moi)

If I had to choose one, I'd pick money mafia, and I think it can easily be themed with FE too obviously.

If you need help hosting anything other than what we already planned feel free to ask :)

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh FE mafia one of the first games where I didn't screw up, really would like to play it again, combined with Money naturally

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
Even though I know nothing about it, I can already imagine a money Mafia being very interesting.

I would be interested in either DAII or Unicycle II, former being a blast to play in and latter due to not being heavily involved in (subbed in at the very end).

Also, if you want, I can also help hosting with a game (not DA style, but really helping).

At the moment I'd like FE2 the most because of the current lack of big games.

A big YCI DA would be great too as far as the big mafias go...

And there could always be a small unicycle running on Smogon to feed the mafia newbies.

money is the most appealing idea for a new mafia concept. it seemed to work nice in the first fe mafia and i could definitely see a smaller game running that concept to sort of "overhaul" the item system we currently use

I really like all of the ideas, in particular another Unicycle (nice speedy game) and another FE mafia (I wasn't around for the first one but I read through it and was sad to learn that it ended prematurely). The money idea also sounds really cool, especially if it was made into the main focus of the game like some other people have said.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
Well, I really want to see maFEa v2 with the money system implemented, because Mekkah did such a kickass job with the first one in terms of flavour, and FE being something he loves (and also something with a vast pool of characters and plotlines), he could probably make it just as awesome again. Most roles can be tailored to fit just about any flavour. IMO, experimental stuff such as DA should probably first be tested in small games. You can't really tell what the changes proposed by Mekkah in DA will result in, and they're not exactly small. A big game crashing and burning because something didn't work out right would be really bad, and Mekkah said the concept of Money can be integrated into others. So yeah, go FE II with money!

Also, yeah, stop beating yourself up about that, noobpluff, that was because of the circumstances. You'll do much better this time.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm just sort of wondering what exactly the plan is for big games moving forward - how long is the hiatus going to be?

I know hip is busy so I am just wondering cause I am kinda itching to play again!

Well Jackal, I think I can get a working big game up pretty quickly. I just need to know what the people's preferences are at! A big game made by me right now would prolly be FE, Money, or both.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I would like to do FE Mafia II, provided that I am not someone like Jeigan again and that I could have a shot at killing moi (Gmax isn't the only one I wish to get revenge on)

I'd love to see FEII re-hosted by the original hosts. It was really well kept-up, you guys are awesome hosts together, and if it was re-done you can fix the bugs, and I might actually be able to be active this time...

DA2 would be a second choice but honestly it seems to me like it is far less of a priority. Just me, though.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would love Double Alias too (YCI would be really cool too, or even if you, Mekkah "chose" like 5 options for each person and they could pick). Money also seems like an awesome concept.

I'm not really "for" FEII because I don't play FE at all and it would confuse me qq

also over the summer if you wanted to host a game with me i would meks :)

Agreeing with the people who want FEII with money implemented. FE was great and it's a shame that it had to be abandoned :s

I would prefer FE with the money system implemented. I recall reading all of the post-game, and the mafia forum and thread for FE very diligently for that game before I even starting playing mafias. It was a pity that the money system never got expanded on since then.

I would suggest: "other."

Experiments likely would work well first in a smaller crowd. Unicycle mafia was great, so an encore would be in order. However, UniCurrency, Unicycle + Money (I would suggest a "politician" and a "lobyist" and someone who bribes officials during election cycles.) A repeat of an experiment and a new one would be very entertaining.

THUS: Unicycle II combined with Money mafia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)