2012 VGCS Winter Battle - Biosci wins!

Aw screw you guys some of us have to study... >.<

But in all seriousness I'm gonna jump on this thing tomorrow. Share your experience with D/C rates...curious to know if they're really under control this time or not. Fuck I stopped playing entirely on the last day of the Autumn Friendly because I felt that D/Cs would run rampant with people trying to preserve rankings. My perusing of the forums confirmed my suspicion.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Anyone else having a really hard time finding consecutive battles? I got my first match right away, spent about five minutes waiting for the next one before I decided to stop and get the Vs. Recorder, took about an hour doing that, went back, got my next battle right away, and now I've been waiting about fifteen minutes since that one. No disconnections on either end, so that's not the problem.

got a hour ban , because my connector went down WHILE searching for an opponent..i guess there was a delay between. -___- i dont see any inprovments to the dcs, iam like 9-0-3 now ans many dumb players are around there..:/ now iam afraid i get kicked from the results because of the ban.. the tournament is like 2 hours old i still have no fun at the moment. -__-

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a bunch of freaking errors? I got at least 4-5 different ones like 2-3 times each. And I'm near my wifi source too.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a bunch of freaking errors? I got at least 4-5 different ones like 2-3 times each. And I'm near my wifi source too.
Yeah happened for about 40 minutes for me. I'm 2-0 right now because I cant find opponents and if I dont find one right away I get a communication error

Beyond waiting for the first match, I haven't had issues finding matches

But my team was really not prepared for this even remotely. I'm really not sure what I was thinking.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
1702 (well, higher, but it needs to update) w/ 26 recorded battles. Peaked at 1709. Only 2 rage quits, and a handfuls of DCs the moment before we picked our mons. But that could be technical or something. Having a ton of fun!

Get on this early so you can sweep all the noobs before the big kids step onto the playground. That and people start DCing more later on.

[edit]

Excellent game Firestorm! I'm still confused that CC wasn't very effective on that last turn!

Anyone else having a really hard time finding consecutive battles? I got my first match right away, spent about five minutes waiting for the next one before I decided to stop and get the Vs. Recorder, took about an hour doing that, went back, got my next battle right away, and now I've been waiting about fifteen minutes since that one. No disconnections on either end, so that's not the problem.
I'm not really sure what causes this but I get it pretty frequently when Wi-Fi-ing (especially if I'm playing in my bedroom where the signal is being stretched farther than it can go and I'm getting DCed occasionally), usually disconnecting and reconnecting fixes it. Have heard other people having this problem occasionally tonight, too.

got a hour ban , because my connector went down WHILE searching for an opponent..i guess there was a delay between. -___- i dont see any inprovments to the dcs, iam like 9-0-3 now ans many dumb players are around there..:/ now iam afraid i get kicked from the results because of the ban.. the tournament is like 2 hours old i still have no fun at the moment. -__-
As far as the hour ban thing, it probably wasn't that you found a match because the DC itself isn't actually what causes the ban -- if you shut your DS power off at all without disconnecting from Wi-Fi and saving your game with the lady in the Pokemon Center it will give you the ban, even if you weren't in a game. I got hit with a ban when I first started playing even though I never actually connected to Wi-Fi because I got mad my connection would work and shut my DS off rather than clicking the don't reconnect thing and ate the ban even though I never even got to the point where I could search... it's just about closing the game out the way they want you to, I guess.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
I've only done 3 matches and won all 3 of them. Last one was against NATHAN (1582) from California, a nice 3-0 win. Also had one match that came down to my last pokemon defensively handling it all. No disconnections as I notice when I properly disconnect from the wifi competition I get some battle points similar to doing random wifi so that's an incentive enough for others not to DC and such.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Doing better this time. 8-2-0.

I fought this guy with OT "Msnakey" in the Masters division. Anyone have an idea who that might be? I would like to record that video and upload it to Youtube after the tournament unless otherwise notified.

Btw I'm OT Ace as a female Scientist.

two amazing games right in a row, the lack of dc's so far is a welcome change
Silver - Win 4-0 48-51072-71183
YUE - Win 4-0 39-33122-92597

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've had problems too.

Took 10 min to find my 1st match. Then afterwards, I found two matches quickly but disconnected a few seconds after a match was confirmed and then I got DC from Wifi. I'm not sure what went wrong and if it was a problem with my internet or not. After 20 min of trying to find another match, I got DCed. I gave up, restarted, tried to find another game, and found one pretty quickly (about 2 min).

If any of you are curious, I'm BORG. Female scientist (despite being male irl). My score is 2 wins so far.

[EDIT] Found another match quickly, after exiting from Wifi after my 2nd match. I think it helps to leave the competition after a match before looking for another match. My score is now 3 wins, no losses

Good luck, and may the crits be ever in your favour!
EDIT: First game instant DC
EDIT: Second game DC at the end
EDIT: 3 DCs in a row

I'm currently 6-0 and had 3 people DC right before a they lost.
Trainer name is Jun Fan. Looking forward to some quality battles.

I used to get quite a few errors while participating in these wifi tourneys. I just set my DS to static ip and set that ip to dmz mode. I get far less errors now.

I swept my most recent opponent: Jupiter... May have lost three times, or maybe more, on this late night/early morning, but hey, my team had its moments... moments that I could've lucked out on and make the blemishes less, but that's the way of pokemon battling, as you can't win every time... Come to think of it, maybe I missed the opportunity to make my team better to minimize the losses before the battle box was locked, maybe not, but who cares? At least my team is having fun, win or lose...

Time to go to bed with the memory of my sweep in my mind. good night, smogon. See you when the sun is up!!!

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
16-4-1. notbad.jpg

Better than last time that's for sure. Especially with only 1 D/C in 21 battles.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
You guys were right about all the noobs being on right now... brb, loling at THE MIGHTY FLY LANDORUS

4 wins 0 losses (plus 3 DCs) despite my Terrakion having Toxic Orb instead of Life Orb, Secret Sword instead of Sandstorm and Stone Edge instead of Rock Slide and my Chandy having flamethrower instead of heat wave.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Anyone on here OT Rikka? Great match.

Anyway, I think I'm done for the night. Currently 12-4, 1573 rating. The new DC system may not be perfect, but it's definitely working better than before; I haven't run into a single one yet.

I keep getting error code 91010 whenever i connect. :(

4-0-4 right now. I have as many D/Cs as wins :(

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
I swept my most recent opponent: Jupiter...
that would be me...

ive been recording my matches so i have our match saved on my stream. (i think the match is on my current stream so you wouldnt be able to see it until i shut it off). my team is rather odd, it has its good sides and bad sides. some mons just shut me down unfortunately.

http://www.twitch.tv/atlasstudios

here was my latest match. i got matched up again to my previous opponent, Puorin. While i couldnt pull out a victory when we first met, perhaps a new battle unfold differently... http://www.twitch.tv/atlasstudios/c/1776053

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
Anyone on here OT Rikka? Great match.

Anyway, I think I'm done for the night. Currently 12-4, 1573 rating. The new DC system may not be perfect, but it's definitely working better than before; I haven't run into a single one yet.

thats R_Inanimate.

also im currently at work but ill be streaming tonight via twitch.tv/eiganjo
if you meet camboy (pardon the horrible filename) from the netherlands youll probably end up on stream

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)