2012 VGCS Winter Battle - Biosci wins!

I can't believe no one here posted this yet(unless I'm missing something, or maybe someone has posted it, but somehow found his/her topic locked):

Credit to serebii.net for posting it first:

http://pglhelp.pokemon.com/en/gbu/winter_battle_2012/

So, just like the TCG before they ever bothered with the pokemon video games, Championship Points will now be awarded for Pokemon Video Game players!!!

Mods, feel free to edit the title if the tourney is full already...

Members, discuss your thoughts regarding this development and/or the tournament...

Registration's open, right? Has anyone tried entering with Soul Dew? I remember hearing it was supposed to be banned and the rules just didn't mention it, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

EDIT: Derp, assumed it was the same page as VGC rules.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Registration's open, right? Has anyone tried entering with Soul Dew? I remember hearing it was supposed to be banned and the rules just didn't mention it, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

EDIT: Derp, assumed it was the same page as VGC rules.
Soul Dew is banned.

I was gonna try my new experimental 2013 VGC Team, but I'm gonna have to stick with my tried and true VGC 12 team for this tourney. Still some adjustments I need to do before testing.

I'm personally curious how these "Champion Points" are supposed to work, assuming you place high enough to earn them?

Soul Dew is banned.

I was gonna try my new experimental 2013 VGC Team, but I'm gonna have to stick with my tried and true VGC 12 team for this tourney. Still some adjustments I need to do before testing.

I'm personally curious how these "Champion Points" are supposed to work, assuming you place high enough to earn them?
128 North American and 128 European players are eligible to earn Champion Points, so I assume it's the 128 highest-ranking players from each region?
Top 16 NA players will win a first round bye to a regional. They haven't decided what to do for European players. All of this paraphrased from this link:
http://pglhelp.pokemon.com/en/gbu/winter_battle_2012/

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Championship Points are points you earn in order to be eligible for Nationals and Worlds, as opposed to the old method of qualifying simply due to doing well in regionals. I'm not sure if they are implementing that qualification route for VGCs this year though, but you can see how it works for TCG.

I signed up but I'm not sure how inclined I will be to participate because of d/c issues that particularly screws over middle of the line players. Awful players have nothing to lose, good players win often enough that a d/c once in awhile will only help them, as was demonstrated by Reuben and others in one of the friendlies awhile back. I find their section on "battle etiquette" cute. The 1hr Global Link kick for both players is in effect for BW2, right? Gamefreak has got to have the most shitastic approach to d/cing.

Yea, I see these DC rules only making things worse. Noob players will still rage quit, although it should help deal with the ones who DC to try and get their ranking up. Highly ranked players will be a huge problem, as there is a way around it (I don't remember what it is) that allows you to work around the 1 hour ban. With CPs and byes on the line, I have a bad feeling alot of competitive players will abuse this.

Also, a little heads up would be nice instead of sign ups staring the day it's announced. Some of us don't have a team yet, and getting one isn't exactly a quick process...

Other than that I'm looking forward to this, and I'm hoping I'm wrong about the DCs.

Despite being terrible at competitive battling and having no competitive teams, I decided to sign up just to see what it was like (and get a custap berry)

I don't expect to get many points but it'll be fun seeing the different kinds of teams and how well my rough team does.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yea, I see these DC rules only making things worse. Noob players will still rage quit, although it should help deal with the ones who DC to try and get their ranking up. Highly ranked players will be a huge problem, as there is a way around it (I don't remember what it is) that allows you to work around the 1 hour ban. With CPs and byes on the line, I have a bad feeling alot of competitive players will abuse this.

Also, a little heads up would be nice instead of sign ups staring the day it's announced. Some of us don't have a team yet, and getting one isn't exactly a quick process...

Other than that I'm looking forward to this, and I'm hoping I'm wrong about the DCs.
Yes I hope you're wrong about being able to dodge the 1 hour penalty. *thinks back to the previous tournament thread with this one guy that "managed his D/C count to qualify and place well"* Among other issues...

Now to think of a team.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Championship Points are points you earn in order to be eligible for Nationals and Worlds, as opposed to the old method of qualifying simply due to doing well in regionals. I'm not sure if they are implementing that qualification route for VGCs this year though, but you can see how it works for TCG.
Ah, alright. Makes more sense now.

Let's hope DCs are not an issue. Assuming a player has no clue about this "Workaround," the hour penalty will hopefully deter those who DC to keep their ranking high, as it will cost them valuable battles in the long run.

Entering, though I won't be using my planned team for the upcoming Regionals, gonna roll with something else and hope it can earn enough wins to yank out a bye.

All registered and signed up. Using close to the same team as last time, no way do I have any time to get a new idea/new mons. My only regret is that I won't get to playtest Thundurus-T.

Will wi-fi pick up illegal Pokemon?
IIRC random matchup does, but last competition, there was a Rain Dish Rampardos. However, I do not suggest hacking your Pokemon, because you'll get DQed from official VGCs. Also, Smogon does not allow talk about hack checks or how to get past them.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ill be entering and streaming my matches for the most part on my twitch account via twitch.tv/eiganjo during most evening hours gmt+1

I signed up but I'm not sure how inclined I will be to participate because of d/c issues that particularly screws over middle of the line players.
True, but there are ways to see these kind of cups. For me, if I get CP, all is good, disconnnecting will probably be an issue but all in all it is going to be good practice for regionals or whatever tournament you go to. I know some of the spanish players dont give a shit and openly admit they DC, but considering they might be expelled from the real life vgc events should be enough incentive to not do so and take their losses like men and women.

IIRC random matchup does, but last competition, there was a Rain Dish Rampardos. However, I do not suggest hacking your Pokemon, because you'll get DQed from official VGCs. Also, Smogon does not allow talk about hack checks or how to get past them.
Never mind. I can't RNG my mons in time, so I can get them off of Pokecheck. I now know how to get them without the ribbon.

And...we start. Good luck all!

Edit: and my first battle is against Biosci. just starting now.
Edit2: Garchomp survived CH close combat with 1 hp then I may have only lost because of a fully paralyzed Cresselia... GG Bio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)