2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's because they're trying in desperate vain to emulate Germany. What they don't understand is that Germany has a much more refined youth football system than England, and when they bring their youngsters to the senior team they're already hardened, experienced internationals who have won competitions at both U21 international and club level. What England is doing is grabbing a few youngsters because they can play some fancy football and trying to give them a "baptism by fire" approach by throwing them in the deep end. It's a backwards approach and unless the system is overhauled from the bottom up, England will continue to degenerate in the way we have been doing.

Most of Germanys team are foreign anyway :P

International breaks are fine, just not right after the transfer windo closes, we want to see our player... in action :D

Well ... yeah, that much is true. Still, they ship the talent in young and make sure they're developed properly. England certainly don't do that much.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
considering that all of the national team players are germans except Podolski (doesnt even play anymore) and Klose i have no idea how that bs is true.

Most of them share dual nationality. Lewis Holtby was eligible for England, Ozil for Turkey, Gomez for Spain (notably, he has full Spanish citizenship too), Boateng for Ghana, Khedira for Tunisia and Sidney Sam for Nigeria .

So yeah, the German football team has a record of convincing dual nationality players to play for them. No biggie, really. The only thing I said which you can call out as "bs" is that they import their talent - I admittedly overlooked the fact that those I mentioned just now were born in Germany, so they weren't "imported" per se.

Fact of the matter is, it's common practice for international teams to "import" talent based on dual nationalities, even England is guilty of it. Raheem Sterling for example could've represented Jamaica. My point was primarily praising Germany irrespective - unlike England, they have a solid youth development set up, which probably plays a fair part in convincing these players to represent Germany.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Uhhh they were born in Germany so theyre germans. That Ozil is a third generation turk and Gomez's father is Spanish doesnt make them any less german. How in the fuck is Germany importing talent when THEY WERE BORN IN GERMANY IN THE FIRST PLACE. Its not like they sent scouts to Turkey and told the players to go live in Germany. Holy fuck so dumb.

I dont care if they used polish born players in the past, fact of the matter is their whole team except Klose (who is on his way out) arent "imported". Your definition of importing talent is also very fucking bad.

The only thing I said which you can call out as "bs" is that they import their talent - I admittedly overlooked the fact that those I mentioned just now were born in Germany, so they weren't "imported" per se.
So I admit that my useage of the word import was incorrect, and rather than being ok with that you resort to ad hominem? You seem to be getting unnecessarily insulted and obtuse over the use of a word which I've explicitly admitted was wrong myself.

The fact that Gomez actually shares recognised dual nationality in that he holds Spanish citizenship explicitly makes him less German.

You seem to be hung up on the idea that I'm bashing Germany for using Polish players in the past, when I'm really not. If anything, I'm praising them for having a youth system which is recognised worldwide as one of the best, which in fact was exactly what this entire discussion started from.

You know which country is guilty of "importing talent"? Turkey.

Of the current national squad of 24, 10 were born (and started their career) abroad. Of those 6 were born in Germany, 2 in Netherlands, 1 in France and 1 in Australia. If you also look at players called up within the last year, of 24 more players, 9 started their career abroad: 6 more in Germany, 1 in Austria, 1 in Belgium and 1 in England. Out of 48 players on the international stage, that's 19 players born abroad.

Of course, this is because all these countries have significant Turkish populations (6 million in Germany, 1 million in France, 500+ thousand in Austria/Netherlands/UK, 200+ thousand in Belgium/Australia) and much better training facilities and systems.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Germany is not importing talent.
All of our current players besides Klose and Podolski are born and raised in Germany. And also Klose and Podolski moved to Germany as a child.
We are more "exporting" talent since a lot of young German football players choose to play for an other country, even though they were born here and spent their whole life in Germany. Sometimes they even play in the German youth teams, because of the good football "education" in Germany just to switch teams, when becoming an adult.

Considering the German society which has a lot of people from other countries (mostly turks), it's quite logical that their children also play for the German national team.
And I don't like the definition of being a foreigner, because your (grand)parents came from an other country. If you spend your whole life in a country, that's basiclly your nationality

You should check out Ireland. Half the team is English with Irish great grandfathers lol!

Also finally nailed an accumulator, internationals should come around more often. No random Cardiff beating Man City results, so much easier to call results with San Marino and Liechtenschtein (I have no idea how to spell that). Put in £5 at the start and now on £11, at this rate I'll be a millionaire in 8 months time B-)

Last edited:
Trapattoni sacked. I honestly do not understand all the Irish fans who boo him and wanted him out. They need to understand Ireland is an absolutely shit team with no talent in there whatsoever. Trap got Ireland to the Euros, would have got to the World Cup ahead of France if it wasn't for Henry's handball, and has kept their hopes alive for so long in a group with Germany, Sweden and Austria. Like wtf do they expect, I'm so angry at these idiots. Whoever comes in is not going to do any better, although I'd love to see Mick McCarthy back, he's just too funny and a legend.

Moyes just said Fellaini is the best Belgian player. Uh, yeah just like he is better than Hazard, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Benteke and Courtois.

Last edited:

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Excited to watch Eto'o play tomorrow. Also looking forward to FIFA 14. Just downloaded the demo on PSN. Seems pretty neat; Better graphics, more realestic and pace is not that important anymore.
Fellaini is the best Belgian player, Arsenal will win the league title this season, Liverpool will finish second, United, City and Chelsea will get relegated and I'm the president of the United States.

A random italian keeper with an 80 rating was mine.

I have 7 different accounts, yet I can only get into 1. Disappointing.. making me set up a security question.. yet I can't as the game isn't out yet lol.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Moyes just said Fellaini is the best Belgian player. Uh, yeah just like he is better than Hazard, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Benteke and Courtois.
That's a common psychological flaw. No manager will ever submit to it that he settled for anything less than the best. Same goes for the fans.
If you want an example just look at the Arsenal fans on the internet nowadays

Q: Who is best Midfielder in EPL??
A: Ozil
Q:Who is best German Midfielder?
A:Ozil
Q: Who is best Goalkeeper?
Q: Who is president of America?
Q: What is full form of UNO?
A:Ozil
Q: Who is the Queen of England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)