2013 International Challenge -January- [RANKINGS RELEASED]

The problem is Nintendo's servers. If only they would use better servers, one that can detect who remains online after a "Communication Error", then DCs would drop by the thousands. The kicker is the fact that better servers probably won't come into play until X and Y are released (and for the love of god, no cart-based penalties please.)
I've actually been thinking about this. If your game/DS can tell you it wasn't your connection that dropped (by not prompting you to reconnect to Nintendo WFC), having the server note that the D/C was not your fault shouldn't be that difficult. And if a server side solution is possible, it baffles me why they want to wait until the next gen before fixing a very prominent problem. Is the financial cost so great that they refuse to improve their online experience for their biggest fans?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Next time I attend a VGC regional in April I will definitely bring it up in conversation about the frustrations we face about opponent disconnections. If they could make improvements in how regionals were held since the 2009 fiasco in Philadelphia then I can't see how they can't do the same for those of us that get penalize for our opponent ragequits.
They're aware of the issue. It can't be fixed. I'm not sure what there is to be gained to explain to them what they've already been told 100x but are unable to fix due to the way the game is coded.

I've actually been thinking about this. If your game/DS can tell you it wasn't your connection that dropped (by not prompting you to reconnect to Nintendo WFC), having the server note that the D/C was not your fault shouldn't be that difficult. And if a server side solution is possible, it baffles me why they want to wait until the next gen before fixing a very prominent problem. Is the financial cost so great that they refuse to improve their online experience for their biggest fans?
afaik, you aren't connected to a server during a battle. It's peer-to-peer. The server just does matchmaking and gets sent the results after the end of the battle.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
They're aware of the issue. It can't be fixed. I'm not sure what there is to be gained to explain to them what they've already been told 100x but are unable to fix due to the way the game is coded.

At least I'm more satisfied with this latest response when I submitted a ticket most recently. True it can't be fixed now, but hopefully at least for the next generation as I'm confident after they rectified after what happened in the 2009 VGC fiasco in Philadelphia that had a system favoring a player with a lv39 leafeon over the eventual 3x world champion Ray.
Thanks for contacting Pokémon Support. We share your concerns regarding players disconnecting during our Pokémon Wi-Fi tournaments. Information about Pokémon X and Y and future plans for the next generation are not shared with the customer service team, so I cannot comment on any such plans.
We are continually making adjustments to the factors we do have control over for Black and White 2. There has been improvement as we have seen a significant drop in average disconnect rates over the last few months. Still, the problem persists and we consider any and all feedback and suggestions to help combat the problem.
Thanks again for contacting Pokémon Support
-Pokémon Support

afaik, you aren't connected to a server during a battle. It's peer-to-peer. The server just does matchmaking and gets sent the results after the end of the battle.
Okay, that makes sense. Still annoyed that adding some extra code to the game would've prevented all of this nonsense. They added the one-hour penalty to BW2; surely, adding some code that checks for the opponent's dropped connection and communicating that to the server couldn't have been that difficult?

So I know this is a noob question. But my battle box is still locked. If I cancel participation to get my stuff back will my ranking still show up?

results are up for japanese players, you can check it if you have a japanese account, otherwise you need to ask someone or wait until this evening I guess

by my side 49th in the world, 9th in Europe x( it should be pretty good for the first event though

279th world , Top 30 Europe.

Quite happy tbh after 3 times not counted in the final rankings..i only regret not keeping my 1800+ rating after Day 2 lol but its ok. atleast i get some points finally.

and its a shame that nintendo is not able to post the results for the western community too. I mean its not that difficult and so players dont have to look themself to these weird Kanjis..

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Can't wait to see my results, though I know I didn't do as well as last tourney, which I got DQd out of the final rankings. :/

Refresh my memory, but what place must you at least reach for the Championship Points?

Oh, I actually made it to the rankings! 927 with 1646 points, I think I lost around 80 points on monday... should have stayed careful, I was being reckless thinking I wouldn't appear anyways.

Isn't there any way to contact a player with their global link nick? I've found one of my opponents and I wanted to send him a simple mail, but I can't >.<

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
1739 Pts.
No. 222 (World), No. 23 (USA) (Master Division)

Well I can't complain about that, especially with the total participants numbering 21,017 (According to PGL). Should've quit with my 1802 ranking when I did, but still a nice finish nevertheless. :p

Also, is the Jaboca Berry available now for any of you guys? I can't seem to access the promotion.

I ranked 137 with a final rating of 1650. So many more people than VGCS Winter Battle. I had a better rating this time and a better ranking last time. I'm still happy though.

Hey, I was lurking here from time to time during the tournament but didn't bother making an account till now. But on topic-has anyone had the problem of not showing up in the rankings? I participated in around 100 matches with only 1 dc from my end (and even that was not during a battle) and yet seem to have been disqualified. I did have a few dcers on the last day though. But does other people dcing count towards a dc from you as well? And even then the few dcs on the last day shouldn't have been enough to dq me. Anybody else with this problem? And any way to solve it?

As a side note-My page shows I ended up with a rating of 1785 which should've been 41st in the world (Senior Division).

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Hey, I was lurking here from time to time during the tournament but didn't bother making an account till now. But on topic-has anyone had the problem of not showing up in the rankings? I participated in around 100 matches with only 1 dc from my end (and even that was not during a battle) and yet seem to have been disqualified. I did have a few dcers on the last day though. But does other people dcing count towards a dc from you as well? And even then the few dcs on the last day shouldn't have been enough to dq me. Anybody else with this problem? And any way to solve it?

As a side note-My page shows I ended up with a rating of 1785 which should've been 41st in the world (Senior Division).
Other people's DCs do count against you as well, since Nintendo's servers suck. Sounds to me like you got DQ'd. Last tourney, the Junior/Senior participants had issues with showing up in the final rankings, but judging Pokemasta's score compared to mine (which makes me believe he was in the Senior Division), I assume that's not the case this time around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)