2013 International Challenge -January- [RANKINGS RELEASED]

DCs are beginning to show up in force now. :/ Gonna quit with my rating of 1714 and hope 14 DCs aren't enough to keep me out of the final ratings. (Wish I still had my 1800, but oh well.)

Just about everyone I've fought today, including 1400- Players have DC on me, so I say let us all grab a drink and watch the idiots wipe each other out of the final rankings.
Agreed :)
I woke up this morning and won 7 games in a row today. I am content :)

DCs are beginning to show up in force now. :/ Gonna quit with my rating of 1714 and hope 14 DCs aren't enough to keep me out of the final ratings. (Wish I still had my 1800, but oh well.)

Just about everyone I've fought today, including 1400- Players have DC on me, so I say let us all grab a drink and watch the idiots wipe each other out of the final rankings.
Yeah this seem to be the case on the last competition. You'd think a lot of people would know around that time they'd be kicked out of rankings. I left myself at 1725. If I crave more battles, I'll just do random match-up (even though D/Cing is prominent there). Really hope they have a better system next gen.

Just played a really close game vs Zach from Wisconsin.

Would've wanted to play more in this tournament but have been busy this weekend.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
^ Yeah.

Anyway, I lied. I decided to do a few more matches. The last dude I fought (forgot his name already) forfeited against me on turn 1. :/

Finished with 1729, plus whatever I earned from my last "Battle"

1712 with 39 battles. Alright I beat my PB from the last competition!

Surprisingly I only dealt with 3 disconnections total (1 of which happened when they were gonna win; more like Wi-Fail).

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Hope I get ranked. I get the feeling those 14 DCs are gonna kick me out of the rankings. :/

That should be fine. I came in 112 place in the last wifi tourney with a poor rating of 1575.

I don't believe one could get 40 DCs without doing some themselves [...]
I got 159 straight d/c's in the autumn one (i believe it was that one...). Every d/c happened when I was about to win or got the upper hand. You should believe him.

(Also, that's the reason I don't do this wifi tourneys anymore ¬¬)

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Next time I attend a VGC regional in April I will definitely bring it up in conversation about the frustrations we face about opponent disconnections. If they could make improvements in how regionals were held since the 2009 fiasco in Philadelphia then I can't see how they can't do the same for those of us that get penalize for our opponent ragequits.

By the way, the next international Wifi event will take place again in March as I'm sure yet another pinch berry will be given out to those that participate and are ranked.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
So how long do these things usually take til we get rankings back?
The winter wifi event took place from 12/14 to 12/17 and we found out the rankings on Christmas day 12/25 as I recall my friends on facebook raging about not being ranked on such a so-called joyful day of the year. Ho Ho Ho Merry Nothing!

Getting back to the question, expect 7-10 days.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Next time I attend a VGC regional in April I will definitely bring it up in conversation about the frustrations we face about opponent disconnections. If they could make improvements in how regionals were held since the 2009 fiasco in Philadelphia then I can't see how they can't do the same for those of us that get penalize for our opponent ragequits.

By the way, the next international Wifi event will take place again in March as I'm sure yet another pinch berry will be given out to those that participate and are ranked.
The problem is Nintendo's servers. If only they would use better servers, one that can detect who remains online after a "Communication Error", then DCs would drop by the thousands. The kicker is the fact that better servers probably won't come into play until X and Y are released (and for the love of god, no cart-based penalties please.)

So how long do these things usually take til we get rankings back?
Supposedly by Wednesday/Thursday iirc, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The results of the 2012 VGCS Winter Battle Tourney were late getting published.

Either way, assuming I do in fact get ranked, I shall be growing Jabocca Berries in force for the share shelf. I have no use for the berry honestly.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
Either way, assuming I do in fact get ranked, I shall be growing Jabocca Berries in force for the share shelf. I have no use for the berry honestly.
Yeah, unfortunately it really isn't useful for anything.

The winter wifi event took place from 12/14 to 12/17 and we found out the rankings on Christmas day 12/25 as I recall my friends on facebook raging about not being ranked on such a so-called joyful day of the year. Ho Ho Ho Merry Nothing!

Getting back to the question, expect 7-10 days.
I believe I read that the rankings will be released on Thursday. I finished around 1680 with 35 battles. Very few were losses plus I had to wait because of DC's. My game would freeze mid battle occasionally but it should not be enough to leave me out of ratings. Good luck to all in the rankings.

I think I'm likely disqualified as I've counted easily over 20+ matches I've been d/c'd from which I won and that is discounting the few token d/c's from my side due to connection hiccups. It's frustrating as hell when you consider the grind it takes to just reach a 1700-1800+ rating, amount you lose with a loss and the usual hax ever present in the game.

Then throw in the the actual losses you'll likely have against other 1700-1800+ rankers and every point becomes valuable. It's no wonder people d/c on purpose it's the only actual way to manage your ranking, d/c on potential difficult matches within the allowance and pick off weaker players, it is just simply more efficient. As it stands I actually don't blame D/C'ers it's a practice that has simply been allowed to happen and when you're aiming to win you do tend to do everything you can.

On another subject has anyone been noticing any new trends with this tournament besides the usual Trick Rooms and stupidly effective brainless rain spam? I've noticed a few Intimidate Scrafty cropping up which are oddly quite effective at shutting down a lot of teams and Thundurus-T is becoming as much of a bastard as regular Thundurus (To which the one who gave it Prankster should be executed for).

The problem is Nintendo's servers. If only they would use better servers, one that can detect who remains online after a "Communication Error", then DCs would drop by the thousands. The kicker is the fact that better servers probably won't come into play until X and Y are released (and for the love of god, no cart-based penalties please.)

Supposedly by Wednesday/Thursday iirc, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The results of the 2012 VGCS Winter Battle Tourney were late getting published.

I'm kinda positive that the server just links you to your opponent and you don't remain connected to the server during the match, a la msn messenger. Then you connect to give the results. But yes, even that way, one could easily know who has been the one to disconnect.

On another subject has anyone been noticing any new trends with this tournament besides the usual Trick Rooms and stupidly effective brainless rain spam?
I found a number of people using strategies like Swagger Cresselia + Lum Whatever or Sableye Will o' Wisping its Heatran partner. Sometimes I question the practicality of those techniques but they certainly worked against me!
A lot of Swagger usage in general, really.

I found a number of people using strategies like Swagger Cresselia + Lum Whatever or Sableye Will o' Wisping its Heatran partner. Sometimes I question the practicality of those techniques but they certainly worked against me!
Pretty sure that kind of Swagger abuse isn't new, I recall Ray won the Championships last year with a Swagger/Lum abuse setup even going as far to use a Metagross with a specific speed for it. On a similar note I've seen one or two Justified Lucario/Terrakion + Beat Up Whimsicott, Terrakion is the more disgusting one simply because it can fish for Flinch + kills with Rock Slide.

I'd call the Sableye/Heatran thing as gimmicky though, it's not like with Politoed/Gastrodon/Ludicolo setups where you can just keep spamming Surf and keep boosting. If you're gonna go with 1 stage boosts like that better to just use Helping Hand, it's surprisingly useful and abundant.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
I think I'm likely disqualified as I've counted easily over 20+ matches I've been d/c'd from which I won and that is discounting the few token d/c's from my side due to connection hiccups. It's frustrating as hell when you consider the grind it takes to just reach a 1700-1800+ rating, amount you lose with a loss and the usual hax ever present in the game.

Then throw in the the actual losses you'll likely have against other 1700-1800+ rankers and every point becomes valuable. It's no wonder people d/c on purpose it's the only actual way to manage your ranking, d/c on potential difficult matches within the allowance and pick off weaker players, it is just simply more efficient. As it stands I actually don't blame D/C'ers it's a practice that has simply been allowed to happen and when you're aiming to win you do tend to do everything you can.
Still doesn't make it right. DCing does absolutely nothing except two things: cheat others out of their deserved wins, and to give a false boost to your ego (which will serve you very well in a high stakes tournament like VGC. /sarcasm)

The only actual way to manage your rating is don't lose in the first place.

Swagger abuse isn't new, but I was surprised to see little use of the move this tourney. Out of 80 battles, I saw Swagger no more than like, 9 times.

On another note, inb4Biosciwinsagain

Still doesn't make it right. DCing does absolutely nothing except two things: cheat others out of their deserved wins, and to give a false boost to your ego (which will serve you very well in a high stakes tournament like VGC. /sarcasm)

The only actual way to manage your rating is don't lose in the first place.
Just like how you can not d/c in the first place and both players get penalized...Oh wait.

Like I said, this is a inherent problem with the game's enforcement of the rules. It won't end until they put in a proper measure besides a game cartridge base time lockout or arbitrary everyone loses d/c ratio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)