Other 6th Gen Pokemon OU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

either specially defensive venusaur or trev are walling both spa and phy mega luke.
we already know there are counters to specific sets to mega luke.
there has YET to be a pokemon/set that wall both spa and phy mega luke, which is one of the main reasons why mega luke is so fearsome.

you can keep on going and making it look as if mega luke isn't that big of a deal, but it is.
go on to the irc and talk with the highly-rated players and see what they think about mega luke.

furthermore, 112 speed tier is incredibly trollish this generation.
it's similar to garchomp's troll speed in gen 4.
im not saying its not threatening but people are just making an overly big deal about it.

It is just THAT big of a deal.
Mega Khan may be the best luke but there's a good reason it's being looked as the undisputed second-best mega in the ou by most people. We're not talking about whether it's broken or not (and we shouldn't in this thread).
But mega luke is, without a doubt, disgustingly powerful pokemon that wins a game because of a mistake.
It "snowballs" too hard.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Mega Luke can be so disgustingly powerful it's rediculous. Mega Aggron's one goal in Life is to Sponge Physical hits and hit back hard, what with 230 Defense and Filter, so how does that fare against a Mega Lucario running a Physical set, after a single Swords Dance:

+2 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 327-387 (95 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Before getting SD up: 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 165-195 (47.9 - 56.6%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO

So even with those Colossal Defenses, Filter, full defensive investment and a Defense boosting nature Mega Aggron cannot switch in safely to a Mega Lucario, the only thing holding it back is that MLuke's a bit squishy. Oh and Mega Aggron get's royally ****** by any Luke's running Special Sets, because of how many different sets MLuke can run he's a offensive menace. Maybe not ban worthy, but still pretty damn impressive.

I don't see it being any stronger than regular Lucario was in 4th gen, tbh.
I personally don't have a big problem with MLuke and don't think its broken (not that this should be talked about to much in this thread) but to say it isn't any stronger than regular Luke in 4th gen is insane, because its a lot more powerful. Could regular Luke 2 hit KO Skarm from stock in 4th gen, no it couldn't. MLuke is a lot more powerful than regular, that in my book doesn't mean its broken though just means you have to play it better.

D

either specially defensive venusaur or trev are walling both spa and phy mega luke.
we already know there are counters to specific sets to mega luke.
there has YET to be a pokemon/set that wall both spa and phy mega luke, which is one of the main reasons why mega luke is so fearsome.
Your pretty correct in saying that its really hard to find something that can wall both Physical and Special Lucario but I do believe Rest Talk Gyarados does a pretty nice job of walling both. Its typing in conjunction with it great natural special bulk and Intimidate seems like it could do a good job. Better yet while uncommon Rest Talk Gyara is very viable, its not like I've just pulled out something like say Golurk from NU and claimed that Terakion isn't very terrifying because Golurk can take its hits (bad example I know).
Still this all theory mon so it may not be that good of a counter, and its SR weakness cant help but still it seems like it could be one of a few that can wall both Physical and Special Luke.

I'm just saying that I played a lot of 4th gen and had my fair share of Lucario sweeps when he was wildly popular. Once 5th gen rolled around, Lucario got outclassed and outmuscled by a lot if threats. Now that he has a mega evolution, he's a top tier threat, like he was in 4th gen and using him now reminds me of his old glory days.

I'm just saying that I played a lot of 4th gen and had my fair share of Lucario sweeps when he was wildly popular. Once 5th gen rolled around, Lucario got outclassed and outmuscled by a lot if threats. Now that he has a mega evolution, he's a top tier threat, like he was in 4th gen and using him now reminds me of his old glory days.
Except MegaLuke now outspeeds most threats that used to give him a problems.

i can't use he calc page for some reason
is rest talk gyara 2hko'd by +2 mega luke's cc?
i'm pretty sure it is like every other physical wall/tank

i can't use he calc page for some reason
is rest talk gyara 2hko'd by +2 mega luke's cc?
i'm pretty sure it is like every other physical wall/tank
Here you go, it's at +1 instead of +2 to take into account Intimidate:

+1 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Gyarados: 195-230 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Still has the possibility of being 2HKO'ed.

Last edited:
Its a defiant 2Hit KO with Rock then but you shouldn't be switching in your Gyara on a plus 2 Luke anyway. You should switch it in when you first see it and if you somehow let Luke get to plus 2 then sack something in order to switch it in. That's like saying Terrakion has no counter because nothing can switch in on it at plus 2 that's OU viable.
Speaking of Terrakion do people think he will be as dominate as he was in BW? I think he will defiantly still be a huge threat but with some new Pokémon roaming OU like Azumarill for example he wont be quiet as good as he was last gen.

It really depends on what Mega Luke is running but honestly there are hard counters for most of them, Gliscor works well on traditional SwordDance/CC/Crunch/Bullet Punch sets but the problem with Mega Luke is that you have to know what he's using before you counter him

It really depends on what Mega Luke is running but honestly there are hard counters for most of them, Gliscor works well on traditional SwordDance/CC/Crunch/Bullet Punch sets but the problem with Mega Luke is that you have to know what he's using before you counter him
That reminds me of something someone said on the Charizard thread that was something along these lines: "Because Charizard has two radically different sets it's hard to find a hard counter until you know what set he's running, I'm sure everyone who had their Hippowdon nuked by YZard and Goodra mangled by X Zard agree."

Or something like that. Anyway, while I doubt the difference between MLuke's Physical and Special Sets is as radically different as Charizard's two Megas, Mega Luke has enough tools to the point where stuff that kill the Special Set are mangled by the Physical Set, and vice versa.

Sadly, Gliscor can only really counter that set. Variations of this set with Ice Punch put Gliscor into the infinite dreamland (ie. death). Special Lucario can cut up all the Physical walls that try to come in on move 1. Mixed Lucario....brrr, I love Lucario, but that makes me think it belongs in Uber. Mixed is that everything that comes in gets smashed to pieces on the switch. Only looks like it can be revenge killed, not countered or even checked. This thing is a powerhouse

One of Terrakion's biggest assets is his speed, which Tyrantrum sorely lacks.

I mean, Aggron had recoilless headsmash too, but his crap speed and bad defensive typing meant he couldn't lift past RU last gen.
Aggron got recoiless head smash as well as coverage in EQ but it was RU too and it has very similar stats to Tyrantrum.
RU, BL2 at best. Tyrantrum isn't OU material for sure. The best it can do is Dragon Dance and Head Smash, and Aggron does that already, but with Rock Polish or Automotize. If your main competition is something like Aggron, it's not looking good for you in OU.
Think you're forgetting that Steel / Rock packs a quad weakness to Fighting and Ground, as well a weakness to water. Tyrantrum is much better defensively because of its Dragon typing. Dragon Dance cranks Tyrantrum's Speed up to the same levels as Aggron's Automize, but grants it an attack boost too, so that point is kinda moot. Also, base 70 Speed was fast enough for Breloom to run Swords Dance and Choice Band last gen, but 71 isn't enough to run Dragon Dance or Scarf this gen? Tyrantrum doesn't get Spore, but it can actually tank a physical hit to set up, which is pretty good as well.

This thing will be more than just Rock Head Head Smash big attack stat, its other stats make it solid outside of that. Tbh this thing reminds me much more of Haxorus than Aggron, and Haxorus was still hanging onto OU last gen, plus Tyrantrum can actually spam its best STAB without getting locked into it.

Think you're forgetting that Steel / Rock packs a quad weakness to Fighting and Ground, as well a weakness to water. Tyrantrum is much better defensively because of its Dragon typing. Dragon Dance cranks Tyrantrum's Speed up to the same levels as Aggron's Automize, but grants it an attack boost too, so that point is kinda moot. Also, base 70 Speed was fast enough for Breloom to run Swords Dance and Choice Band last gen, but 71 isn't enough to run Dragon Dance or Scarf this gen? Tyrantrum doesn't get Spore, but it can actually tank a physical hit to set up, which is pretty good as well.

This thing will be more than just Rock Head Head Smash big attack stat, its other stats make it solid outside of that. Tbh this thing reminds me much more of Haxorus than Aggron, and Haxorus was still hanging onto OU last gen, plus Tyrantrum can actually spam its best STAB without getting locked into it.
Can you elaborate what Tyrantrum offers as a DDancer that other DDancers in ou doesn't have?

Nevermind the fact that Tyrantrum will be raped by Conkeldurr, CB Scizor, Lando-T, Gliscor, Greninjas, Scarfed Genesect, Lati@s twins, Garchomp, Zygarde, Azumarill, faster dragons and fairies, which basically makes up half of OU.

But the fact remains that Tyrantrum can switch in on Heatran and Talonflame, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

Can you elaborate what Tyrantrum offers as a DDancer that other DDancers in ou doesn't have?

Nevermind the fact that Tyrantrum will be raped by Conkeldurr, CB Scizor, Lando-T, Gliscor, Greninjas, Scarfed Genesect, Lati@s twins, Garchomp, Zygarde, Azumarill, faster dragons and fairies, which basically makes up half of OU.

But the fact remains that Tyrantrum can switch in on Heatran and Talonflame, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.
Most Dragon Dancers are Dragons, which means that either they use Dragon Claw, which is kinda weak, or Outrage, which locks them into it and confuses them once its done. Tyrantrum gets better STAB in Head Smash that is more powerful than Outrage and still allows it to switch moves if something that can actually take it comes in, which is nice since Head Smash / Dragon Claw / Earthquake, iirc, is perfect neutral coverage on everything except Bronzong. Apart from that, physical bulk and the ability to turn Talonflame into a liability are decent.

Also, nearly everything on your list of counters also applies to Terrakion and Tyranitar as well, and both of those are pretty decent, right?

Most Dragon Dancers are Dragons, which means that either they use Dragon Claw, which is kinda weak, or Outrage, which locks them into it and confuses them once its done. Tyrantrum gets better STAB in Head Smash that is more powerful than Outrage and still allows it to switch moves if something that can actually take it comes in, which is nice since Head Smash / Dragon Claw / Earthquake, iirc, is perfect neutral coverage on everything except Bronzong. Apart from that, physical bulk and the ability to turn Talonflame into a liability are decent.

So what you're saying is that Tyrantrum's only niche against other DDancers is the fact that it doesn't need to use Outrage to do damage, in exchange for a much, much crappier defensive typing and slower base speed?

If we're looking at the facts, Haxorus, which is imo the most offensive-oriented DDancer, dropped in usage into UU. I can't see Tyrantrum faring much better considering they both cover the same niche(slow but powerful DDancer), what with weakness to 3 priorities. Tyrantrum is a beast in the offensive department, I'll give it that but it's defensive capabilities leaves a lot to be desired, imo enough for it to not make to OU. Just ask Kyurem-B, who got booted to OU because of it's crappy typing + barren movepool despite it's uber-worthy stats.

One more thing, OU just gained 2 DDancers that don't use Outrage to do damage. Yep, I'm referring to ZardX and Megados.

Also, nearly everything on your list of counters also applies to Terrakion and Tyranitar as well, and both of those are pretty decent, right?

Comparing Tyranitar to Tyrantrum is imo dumb because they cover different niches. Comparing Tyrantrum to Terrakion though, as a set-up sweeper yes they might have the same weakness BUT set-up sweeping is not everything that Terrakion can do though, hm? Not to mention better stat spread and Terrakion actually makes use of its dual typing to give it dual STABs.

Basically, those two you mentioned brings soooooo much more to the table that it offsets the crapiness that comes with the Rock typing, something Tyrantrum doesn't have.
reply in bold

reply in bold
Why would you do this ;_;
Its not just that Tyrantrum doesn't have to use Outrage, its the option it gets over Outrage. Outrage is 180 BP after STAB, Head Smash hits 225 BP. Megados Waterfall doesn't get anywhere near this much power.

Also, I wouldn't say that Tyrantrum's typing and stats are bad. Tyrantrum is neutral to Aqua Jet, and can actually take a super effective Bullet Punch or Ice Shard due to its massive defence, which is nearly as high as its Attack. Yeah, its Speed isn't exactly ideal, but its enough to outspeed positive 130s, which is as fast as the unboosted meta gets (Mega Alakazam tho lol)

Look, I get that Tyrantrum isn't going to be as popular or useful as things like Terrakion or Salamence or whatever, but the point I'm trying to make is that while Tyrantrum won't see OU usage, it will be viable in OU for teams that can use its unique strengths and cover its weaknesses.

Its not just that Tyrantrum doesn't have to use Outrage, its the option it gets over Outrage. Outrage is 180 BP after STAB, Head Smash hits 225 BP. Megados Waterfall doesn't get anywhere near this much power.

Also, I wouldn't say that Tyrantrum's typing and stats are bad. Tyrantrum is neutral to Aqua Jet, and can actually take a super effective Bullet Punch or Ice Shard due to its massive defence, which is nearly as high as its Attack. Yeah, its Speed isn't exactly ideal, but its enough to outspeed positive 130s, which is as fast as the unboosted meta gets (Mega Alakazam tho lol)

Look, I get that Tyrantrum isn't going to be as popular or useful as things like Terrakion or Salamence or whatever, but the point I'm trying to make is that while Tyrantrum won't see OU usage, it will be viable in OU for teams that can use its unique strengths and cover its weaknesses.
Ahh. Viable in OU =/= OU though. Lotsa mons are viable in OU but ended up in UU.

Ahh. Viable in OU =/= OU though. Lotsa mons are viable in OU but ended up in UU.
Yep. There's only so many Pokemon that can make that 3% usage. Tbh I don't really care about what's OU, UU, etc, I care more about if it actually has a niche in OU. I'd say Tyrantrum has one, so yeah. It absolutely won't get the usage of an OU poke, but it could hold its own on specific teams.

I get that, Quagsire was fairly popular last gen despite it being UU or something like that and while Tyrantrum, Terrakion and Tyranitar have the same or at least similar counters Tyrantrum has nothing to offer over Terrakion or Tyranitar. Mega Tyranitar has the same base speed as Tyrantrum and runs a better D-Dance set than Tyrantrum due to its higher defenses and higher attack. Terrakion is naturally faster than Tyrantrum and has a better movepool to show for it. There is no way Tyrantrum is ever going to be more viable than regular or mega Tyranitar or Terrakion. A high attack and defense stat with recoil-less Head Smash might sound good on paper but a lot of pokemon do all of its roles significantly better than it ever will.

Yes, Tyrantrum's use is more situational than anything. It has recoil less Head Smash but so does Aggron. D-Dance is done better by T-Tar, and anyways Tyrantrum suffers from a weakness to most priority moves, another major downfall of its that can end its sweeps. Tyrantrum is just outclassed in its roles and got that wrong typing, Rock Dragon is unique but nothing special, gives it weaknesses to prevalent types. It may do well enough in OU but it wont be OU, high UU at best. Lets move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)