Other 6th Gen Pokemon OU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please give me the source of where it was debunked, PO says it can and I'm willing to trust an entire research team of a sim over you alone, sorry, I hate to be that guy, but I need more evidence
Check the Clawitzer thread.
Serebii that was the one that got it wrong in the first place also fixed it already.

Could Pangoro carve itself out a little niche if Parting Shot doesn't get a wide distribution until whatever third/sequel version there will be comes out?

We did regain Excadrill, and Avalugg is of some use (its special bulk is low, but actually better than Blissey's physical bulk - think about that), so that's something.

And no, he gets AQUA JET at level 47. Clawitzer gets it around the same time as well.
we're still rapid spinning for a revenge killer, this is the biggest flaw i have
fire/flying has pretty redundant coverage (hence why volcarona almost always runs either fire blast or hurricane depending on the team), it's frail as shit and it's attack isn't very high, it's not a set-up sweeper, something that is worthwhile to spin SR away, it's a revenge killer, something that usually shouldn't care about hazards being in

Could Pangoro carve itself out a little niche if Parting Shot doesn't get a wide distribution until whatever third/sequel version there will be comes out?
I would doubt it. Parting Shot is good, but not good enough to compensate for a sub-par defensive typing and otherwise craptastic offensive options. Pangoro's a one trick pony, and with the kind of speed it sports, it's not even good at that one trick.

Nobody else has mentioned him yet, but I'm actually pretty confident on Hawlucha making OU. I initially figured he'd be BL or UU, but baton Pass was exactly what he needed to function - has exactly the right kind of powerful STAB to deal with popular phazers, just enough attack to make it risky for priority users to switch in even when he hasn't boosted his stats, and has enough speed to be able to get off BPs against a great many things that would stop him cold otherwise.

Except it's a GOOD revenge killer, and can be used over and over again. You need Rapid Spin for that.
i don't see a reason to use him over scizor for revenge killing, who needs way less support and can get rid of things that usually need to be revenge killed, like dragons and ttar, on top of being bulky

i don't see a reason to use him over scizor for revenge killing, who needs way less support and can get rid of things that usually need to be revenge killed, like dragons and ttar, on top of being bulky
Because Scizor can't beat some things (aegislash anyone?) while Talonflame can.

Stronger priority, perhaps? A STAB Brave Bird or an Acrobatics [god forbid it's Flying Gem boosted] will wreck lives, and Scizor isn't stopping [mega]Blaziken anytime soon, unlike Talonflame.

talonflame isn't doing a good job at stopping blaziken either, it can't switch in all that well, especially with SR out, it can only revenge kill (i've done calcs....blaziken is god damn stupid again)

i don't think talonflame can beat aegislash that reliably either, aegislash is a good spin blocker and i'm fairly certain it's shadow sneak will OHKO talonflame after SR damage, so there's that

talonflame isn't doing a good job at stopping blaziken either, it can't switch in all that well, especially with SR out, it can only revenge kill (i've done calcs....blaziken is god damn stupid again)

i don't think talonflame can beat aegislash that reliably either, aegislash is a good spin blocker and i'm fairly certain it's shadow sneak will OHKO talonflame after SR damage, so there's that
>talking about SR
>saying Rapid Spin support is useless with Talonflame

Uh, your argument has a few flaws here.

Also, yes, he can only revenge kill... but then, half the time that's all a Scizor will do. The two have entirely different things they can kill. Think of Talonflame like a Dugtrio with more power, more priority, and no Arena Trap.

dugtrio, scizor, rotom-W, breloom, mamoswine, and magnezone (the premier revenge killers) take no more than 12.5% from SR
talonflame takes 50%

it's not that RS support is useless with talonflame, but you must use RS to support something whose only job is to revenge kill, which is problematic
you need to support a support pokemon just for it to be able to do it's job more than once or twice

what RSer outside of blastoise did we gain?

i thought clawncher got shell smash at level 47?
I was going to say Greninja but then I double-checked and learned that he doesn't get RS after all. Which is unfortunate, because in that case, Greninja also gets priority Brave Bird to cover his Fighting weakness.

I don't think SR is irrelevant (Charizard and Moltres owe some degree of their lower tier status to that, right?) but I think that Spinners will be better in OU going forward because of hyper offense not being quite as good. From what I've read, bulky and balanced teams will probably be better, what with Fairy making all things equal.

edit: Oh, did I read the debate wrong?

Klefki could go OU as well, or have a nice niche at least, as priority spikes will really help hyper offense teams.

I feel like Malamar will almost definitely make it to OU, just because of the fact it screws with everything thanks to Contrary, and it'll be even better if Sticky Web makes it big, which I think has been mentioned. The only thing really holding it back is how predictable it'll be. It has a shallow movepool (That we know of, anyway) as it is, and you'll have to run Superpower on it to get it's Attack to a decent level.
Other than that, it has a few nice moves to just mess with the opponent, like Topsy-Turvy, which has a lot of potential.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Klefki could go OU as well, or have a nice niche at least, as priority spikes will really help hyper offense teams.
Saying Klefki becoming OU is sort of a stretch considering how easy it is to overpower to set up on it. You are right, however, on it having a niche, and it can at least use Imprison to stop Skarmory and Ferrothorn from setting up alongside it.
I feel like Malamar will almost definitely make it to OU, just because of the fact it screws with everything thanks to Contrary, and it'll be even better if Sticky Web makes it big, which I think has been mentioned. The only thing really holding it back is how predictable it'll be. It has a shallow movepool (That we know of, anyway) as it is, and you'll have to run Superpower on it to get it's Attack to a decent level.
Other than that, it has a few nice moves to just mess with the opponent, like Topsy-Turvy, which has a lot of potential.
This is also stretch, seeing as Malamar only has so many uses and moves to use, and not to mention its low Speed (of which Sticky Web is irrelevant because +1 uninvested Malamar barely outruns anything relevant) and special defense make it easy to take advantage of. It also finds very, very little opportunities to do its job thanks to its vulnerability to powerful attacks, limiting the use of Topsy-turvy. If anything, the concept is great! It's just that Malamar itself is given a little too much credit where it's due.

I think TalonFlame will be BL; While base 81 Atk doesn't seem like much, slap on a Band and adamant nature and it is ready to tear apart anything that doesn't resist it's STAB Priority* Brave Bird.

Also Klefki seems like a very viable lead with priority Spikes

Just in case anyone wasn't sure exactly how powerful adaptability Draco Meteor is, Dragalge is hitting 9.2% harder than Latios. That's enough to hit every single Pokemon with a BW2UU analysis for at least 50% except defensive Escavalier, who takes 49% maximum. Throw a couple of layer into the equation and you have a Pokemon that scores a 2HKO on every wall in the tier. Only things that are faster and can heal up right away are going to be able to deal with it. Its seriously just ludicrous power.

Just in case anyone wasn't sure exactly how powerful adaptability Draco Meteor is, Dragalge is hitting 9.2% harder than Latios. That's enough to hit every single Pokemon with a BW2UU analysis for at least 50% except defensive Escavalier, who takes 49% maximum. Throw a couple of layer into the equation and you have a Pokemon that scores a 2HKO on every wall in the tier. Only things that are faster and can heal up right away are going to be able to deal with it. Its seriously just ludicrous power.
Problem is, it's going to be extremely difficult for Dragalge to get any sort of attack off at all, let alone two. Its Special Defence is pretty good, but thanks to the combination of a weakness to Earthquake, less than great physical Defence, low HP and terrible speed, I don't really see it getting anywhere near OU anytime soon, as much as I'd like it to (I mean seriously, Dragalge is too cool for its own good).

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's also a new type introduced. It was kind of arguably the biggest changes to competitive Pokemon this Gen. Not sure if you've heard of it before.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There's also a new type introduced. It was kind of arguably the biggest changes to competitive Pokemon this Gen. Not sure if you've heard of it before.
His set in question also has Sludge Bomb, and Dragalge takes neutral from Fairy-type moves, but aside from that...yeah, I don't think Dragalge isn't making the top pancake at this time. It's just really grating when you have all that power and you can't outrun things like Registeel or Tyranitar naturally.

His set in question also has Sludge Bomb, and Dragalge takes neutral from Fairy-type moves, but aside from that...yeah, I don't think Dragalge isn't making the top pancake at this time. It's just really grating when you have all that power and you can't outrun things like Registeel or Tyranitar naturally.
And the fact that it still can't get past a lot of steel-types. (for example, Aegislash and Mega-Mawile)

Come to think of it, was Adaptability even confirmed for Dragalge? I still get nothing about it when I search for it...

All of those 2HKOs are factoring in the special attack drop or using other moves. You are free to run the calcs yourself, it's pretty impressive how strong this thing is.

Problem is, it's going to be extremely difficult for Dragalge to get any sort of attack off at all. Its Special Defence is pretty good, but thanks to the combination of a weakness to Earthquake, shoddy physical Defence and terrible speed, I don't really see it getting anywhere near OU anytime soon.
It's probably not an OU candiate, but it does have seven resistances, all of them good ones, and a good deal of special bulk - 252 SAtk Rotom-W HP Ice only have a 2% chance to 3HKO it, for example. Something like HP Grass Zapdos is completely incapable of even scratching it.

I should have clarified this is probably BL at highest, but it is seriously a monster. There is one fairy in the game that isn't wrecked by Sludge Bomb and it can be 2HKOd by Focus miss.

I don't see Avalugg as a possible OU candidate because of its extremely weak Sp. D. It's low speed means that anything special can just poke it to death. Sturdy may give it a chance, but even then its attack isn't super amazing.
Also it's ice type and some of the best and most common physical attacks will still wreck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)