Abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I see it as he thinks it's murder.

The "it's lazy and selfish" is him saying that committing murder to avoid having to work is (gasp) lazy and selfish.

Note that again it comes down to whether/when abortion is murder.

If I came off as "thread police" then I apologize but almost all of the side arguments, again, come down to whether you feel aborting the fetus would be equivalent to murder, and all this debating means absolutely nothing because they're based upon a single presupposition, which is the literal ONLY DIFFERENCE i've seen so far between pro-life and pro-choice. Debating anything else ends up just being wasting your breath (or fingers as it were.)

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i love how men are calling a woman lazy for not wanting to endure a pregnancy that they don't desire. it's not a fucking 9-5 job. it's 9 months of literal wear and tear on your body, morning sickness, a LOT of stress, etc. no woman should be guilted or forced into experiencing any of that if they do not feel it is worth it, ESPECIALLY if it was thrust upon them due to rape.

women already deal with bleeding from their vagina every month for 5 days at a time - if i have a choice to not bear a child that i do not want, it's not rocket science what i'm going to do.

Is it better to let a child live a shitty life becuase its parents werent ready for having a baby than aborting a fetus before it is able to feel or think?

Yes, i know that it is not certain how a childs life will turn out just because of the parent's background, wich brings up this question: Is it ok to prevent 1 good life from happening to save ~9 others of a bad life

Now both pro-lifers and pro-choicers :
1) think of it as murder and give me your answer to these questions
2) Don't think of it as murder and give me your answer again

(Also , I don't find the term "pro-life" a well chosen one as it depicts pro-choice as anti-life wich is a heavy statement...)

Thank you for the reasonable post, Brain. Let me ask you this: What do we have to lose/gain by considering a thirty second old embryo human?
I am not sure what you are asking. I wanted to explain that conception itself was not a good threshold, and to illustrate the point I deliberately chose a time span so short that I could be absolutely certain there is no value at all in the embryo. I would say abortion is fine much later than that, but I didn't really want to argue that just yet.

Brain: I think you're misunderstanding my point. I realize that It's A Wonderful Life is a drastic oversimplification, but the truth is, that's basically how it works. I believe that at least 95% of people contribute positively to society, and I think that the more people in society, the better.
But that is also a drastic oversimplification.

First, resources are bounded and do not scale linearly with the number of people. These can be the resources available for a family or an extended family. These can be resources available for a village, a city or a whole country. Usually, you want to add new humans in contexts where resources can support them, or there mere existence will be a burden. More humans is not inherently better. You don't want to raise ten kids on a meager salary in a shitty house. You don't want to see a baby boom in the middle of a famine.

Second, as I have explained, 100 abortions do not mean 100 less human beings on the planet in the long term. Many women have abortions because although they want children eventually, they don't want children now. By getting an abortion, they can focus on their studies or on figuring out where they want to go in life, thereby making their impact on society more positive. And it's not actually at the cost of any life: they will have children later. Abortions often just postpone the addition of a new life (and if there was no abortion, there would be no new life later).

That's not all: if women can abort, some of them might be less careful about protection, meaning that technically, if abortion was disallowed, they would not actually have gotten pregnant. So there is no loss there. In addition to that, having the option to abort can actually make women feel safer about having children, because they can change their mind. Abortion does not necessarily lower the amount of life in the long term, it is just so, so much more complicated than that. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. You can hardly know for sure.

Third, humans have a limited capacity for caring (about 100 people, give or take). As disturbing as that might sound, the "people who would enjoy your kid's life", in order to love him, have to love others less. The girlfriend he would have had will just love someone else (perhaps better). His best friend will be best friends with someone else, and so on. It's like removing a drop from the ocean, whatever void it leaves will be filled instantly. Socially, having more people is neither better nor worse. On average, you add a small caring capacity but you divert the same amount.

Just wondering, are you(anyone can answer this question) pro life or pro choice?Are you also for or against capitol punishment?Most people whore are pro life are religious people and for some reason for killing criminals.A good example is Texas as a whole.

I'm both pro choice and pro death penalty, but just wondering others opinions.

ATTN WORLD:

Although this thread has gotten better, I would like to remind you to keep discussion focused on WHEN ABORTION OF A FETUS BECOMES EQUIVALENT TO MURDER. If you disagree on any other part of an abortion argument, chances are you should be institutionalized. Sure, there are some strange cases in which there may be another valid point you bring up, but in 95% of times you are going to post something not related to the capitalized, bolded point i brought up above you should do the world a favor and kindly stfu.

SECONDLY: Please please please please please STOP calling people racist/misogynist/something else. I have read this entire discussion and maybe I am more capable of civility and empathy than most people but I have not read ONE THING YET that makes anybody seem misogynist and guess what 99.9% of people AREN'T so if you have to resort to saying that sort of thing on anything other than basically direct statement (e.g. "women who have sex before they're ready for babies are whores and should be punished") then chances are THEY ARE NOT ANYTHING so be quiet oh my god i'm so sick of this shit.

This has been a message to: The world

Brain: I think you're misunderstanding my point. I realize that It's A Wonderful Life is a drastic oversimplification, but the truth is, that's basically how it works. I believe that at least 95% of people contribute positively to society, and I think that the more people in society, the better.
Adding to Mr. Hadwick's point...

Being anti-abortion is claiming that a foetus's chance to live supersedes the woman's autonomy and even her chance to continue living, which is a patently anti-woman position, even if you don't recognise it as the misogyny it is. I consider it murder if you force a woman to die to save a foetus.

I try to keep out of these threads since I'm not a masochist, but this just really tipped me over.

Just wondering, are you(anyone can answer this question) pro life or pro choice?Are you also for or against capitol punishment?Most people whore are pro life are religious people and for some reason for killing criminals.A good example is Texas as a whole.

I'm both pro choice and pro death penalty, but just wondering others opinions.
I'm pro choice and kinda pro death penalty. The death penalty is great for reducing the amount of money spent on prisoners, and is much more of a deterrent than prison for life. The problems I see are more with how the death penalty is handled so very often, you have people on death row for years before killing them, sometimes when they're so old they're about to die anyway. Then you have people who are convicted on shaky evidence at best, with appeals repeatedly denied, and executed despite the possibility they were innocent.

Putting aside the moral ambiguity of killing a killer for a second, I will always be against capital punishment because most of the time you can never truly know if you are killing the right guy. A 99% chance the guy did it might be beyond reasonable doubt for most people in most cases, but IMO when an actual life is on the line, anything short of 100% is just not enough. But then, even if you accept that only 100% definite cases should be convicted, that still seems grossly unfair because the 99% guys get to live, so you end up removing capital punishment altogether. There are tons of cases where experts are pretty sure of a wrongful conviction. Look at Troy Davis just recently.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Does anybody know any girls that aren't pro choice? I'm curious. I don't.
I know only a handful of women who support a woman's right to have an abortion. The vast majority of women that I have ever known absolutely do not. Obviously that's not a picture of the nation, but pro-life women do exist (outside of teh internets).

Putting aside the moral ambiguity of killing a killer for a second, I will always be against capital punishment because most of the time you can never truly know if you are killing the right guy. A 99% chance the guy did it might be beyond reasonable doubt for most people in most cases, but IMO when an actual life is on the line, anything short of 100% is just not enough. But then, even if you accept that only 100% definite cases should be convicted, that still seems grossly unfair because the 99% guys get to live, so you end up removing capital punishment altogether. There are tons of cases where experts are pretty sure of a wrongful conviction. Look at Troy Davis just recently.
That's just the thing, people like Troy Davis should not be executed, people like Martin Bryant, however, definitely should, preferably in the least humane way possible.

This thread is a pretty nice example of what happens when you don't abort unwanted things early enough--you realize in the end it really wasn't worth all the trouble and bickering and drama and you should have just gotten rid of it at the start!

Just because cancer came and gave the woman a tumor doesn't mean it's my fault she has a tumor it's the cancer's fault! The woman just has to live with the tumor now why should my tax dollars go to removing it ?_?_? I mean I'm not inflicting anything on the woman right!

SUCK IT UP CANCER PATIENTS
You're disgusting. Get a grip on reality. How would you like to have cancer?

"But, lol, kingcharizard, I dont"

This does not cut it.

Yeah thats the biggest problem.The justice system is far from perfect and mistakes are bound to be made.Was just wondering how some people are both pro choice yet against killing criminals or vice versa..

You're disgusting. Get a grip on reality. How would you like to have cancer?

"But, lol, kingcharizard, I dont"

This does not cut it.
the funny thing is that his post was a parody of a very similar post supporting the pro-life stance. 13 year old reading comprehension ahoy

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Despite Brain's thoughtful post this thread's just deteriorating into capital punishment and cancer and I think it's best to just close it. Especially since the topic is already very touchy to begin with.

The continued existence of this thread has already made several users cringe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)